Posted in industry | music on January 14, 2009

Katy Perry

"Live Nation Ticketing is live. The bulk of the world's largest promoter's 10-year contract with Ticketmaster has expired and the company has now launched its in-house ticketing company.

"Anytime you have a major rollout, you hold your breath and hope there are no major glitches," Live Nation CEO of global music Jason Garner tells Billboard. "We went live over the [holiday] break and I didn't hear one complaint from anybody about the system."

Garner admits the rollout was "pretty complex, only because we had a bunch of events that had to be transferred from Ticketmaster over to Livenation.com. The rollout went as flawlessly as we could have hoped. I think in general you'd have to call it a major success."

The bulk of the events transferred from Ticketmaster to Livenation.com so far are club shows, as existing ticketing contracts remain in effect for most larger indoor venues. "What we went live with was our own venues, and no amphitheater shows are up yet," Garner points out. "So it was a bunch of small club shows, which in many ways is more difficult because of the volume."

As the launch moves forward, Garner says the primary facet of Live Nation controlling its own inventory is flexibility. "Our goal is always to have a system built around being able to satisfy what the artists and fans want," he says. "We realize in this economy the guy that gets creative and thinks outside the box on ways to create new revenue is going to win. It's about creating new music products for the fan."....

....It is likely that more Live Nation tickets will be priced "all-in" as opposed to service charges being added on. "We're trying to strip the structural rules off and say to artists, 'How do you want to reach your fan? All-in price, status quo, a lower service charge on the lawn? We're just trying to be real flexible and keep options open so we can serve artists," Garner says." [Billboard]

If you've started to notice you can't find something on sale on Ticketmaster, for a show at Irving Plaza for instance, that's maybe why.

Anyone who thinks that Live Nation will not fuck customers over as much as Ticketmaster is an idiot.

Posted by adam | January 14, 2009 7:19 PM

there's potential for lower fees going forward on ticket sales.

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2009 7:26 PM

Ticketbastard used to have the convenience fee + service fee totaling about 25%.

Live Nation Ticketing seems to be around 33% for their "ticket fee"...

Same old bullshit...

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2009 9:16 PM

Awesome! Now our fees can go to a different corporate pig. And we won't even know it since it'll be hidden into the price of the ticket.

This is a lateral move if anything. Live Nation has to pay for those 9 figure contracts with madonna some how.

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2009 9:19 PM

I hate this move. At least with Ticketmaster it was one stop shopping. Now I need to go to 5 different sites to buy tickets.

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2009 9:28 PM

FanSnap!

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2009 10:03 PM

Anyone bought tickets from the Irving Plaza box office recently? The new LN tickets look like plane tickets.

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2009 10:24 PM

Live nation sucks more then ticketmaster. The only thing I like is they give you more time yet the site is glitchy. Oh yeah, the fees are more then ticketmaster, more money for a worse website. That sounds fair.

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2009 10:50 PM

there is something messed up with these Live Nation. I checked online for tickets and a $29.50 ticket was $43.50 (worse that any mark-up fees from Ticketmaster). I went to Irving Plaza box office and somehow a $29.50 ticket became $34.50. Guess they are actually charging fees for buying them at the box office now as well.

And yes, their website also blows...

Posted by p | January 14, 2009 11:18 PM

I just picked a random show at Irving Plaza (happened to be Los Lobos)...

Ticket Fee was $13.50 on a $38.50 ticket.

Vertical monopolies suck, people.

Posted by Cody | January 15, 2009 12:23 AM

well i guess we'll just have to put them out of business by not going to those shows.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 12:30 AM

"We're just trying to be real flexible and keep options open so we can serve artists"

like record companies, uh-huh.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 12:31 AM

do any bands worth a crap play Irving anymore?

I know Stereolab did a few dates there back in the fall but damn, y'all. Nothing that's caught my eye in a while.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 12:33 AM

I just grabbed tickets to see Tricky at Irving (if he shows up). I didn't think it was possible for a ticket service to be even more greedy and unpleasant than Ticketmaster, but I was obviously wrong.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 10:30 AM

If I buy a ticket from the Irving Plaza box office, I'm assuming there is no $13.50 ticket fee. But does any of that $28 go to LiveNation as well?

Posted by Just a question | January 15, 2009 12:24 PM

Live Nation sucks ass but thankfully they just do Irving Plaza and Nokia. So, I mean, if you want to see Soundtribe Sector 9 you are out of luck, but otherwise you should be fine.

Posted by guy behind the guy | January 15, 2009 12:59 PM

They do roseland, hammerstein, irving, and blender. Not nokia. Good work sherlock.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 1:58 PM

It's hilarious that people proudly claim Live Nation to be the "corporate enemy" yet Bowery Presents gets off the hook somehow? Wake up people, multiple promoters in town means multiple bids for shows which means band takes highest offer which means ticket price is higher for you (regardless of if its at Terminal 5 or Roseland).

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 7:21 PM

Yes and any numbnut who thinks you can just hide ticketing fees in the price of the tickets is an idiot. It doesn't work that way. Ticket prices are agreed upon by both the promoter and the bands agent before the show even goes on sale.

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2009 8:03 PM

Livenation sucks, whoever thought it was a good idea to put a band like Phish on this buggy site was retarded it took 20 minutes just to get a connection to get tickets, and then being placed into queue, received an error page. Ticketmaster gets overwhelmed by Phish but at least their site doesn't become practically useless!

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 10:29 AM

I've been trying for exactly 1 hour to purchase tickets online and over the phone- repeatedly. I've been kicked off the site or had internal server errors repeatedly. Even got as far as submitting my credit card information (scary) and then was booted again. No chance to even wait in a phone queue- the autom. voice just says sorry, we're busy, call back later. At least ticketmaster could handle the volume. Maybe I had to pay crazy surcharges, but at least I had a chance of getting tickets and didn't make myself late to work.

Posted by Rebecca | January 30, 2009 11:01 AM

FUCK YOU LIVE NATION, FUCK YOU TICKETMASTER, FUCK WALL STREET, FUCK LAISSEZ FAIRE BULLSHIT, UTOPIAN SOCIALISTS UNITE!!!!

Posted by THOREAU | January 30, 2009 3:19 PM

LIVE NATION SUCKS!
I spent hours today trying to purchase tickets to one Phish show. I would have gone to a retail location to purchase my tickets this morning, but Live Nation doesn't have any locations in Columbus, Ohio. Why did they take on such a large venue like PHISH if they weren't ready to operate???
Their website couldn't handle the numbers because it kept crashing and their phone system sucked more. There's a cheesy recording how they care about US and then it goes on to say everyone is busy call back later and you get disconnected. Not to mention, you only get the recording if you're lucky to get through. Well the Phish show is sold out and I didn't get tickets.
THIS WOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED WITH TICKETMASTER!!!
FU Live Nation!

Posted by Phish fan | January 30, 2009 4:15 PM

LiveNation is just another monopoly. I'd rather give ticketmaster my money... ticketmaster rapes you yes, but at least their site works. Did anyone notice that when LiveNation appeared a few years back that convenience charges went up and building facility charges appeared on ticketmaster? Fuck You Live Nation. I got my Phish tickets after 2 hours of trying on your shitty website. Thats the last business you'll get from me.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 4:50 PM

I wish they would just hide the fucking charges. At least if I see a ticket for $50 it's fifty-fucking dollars. Not $92 after a $42 convenience-wipe my ass-you're an idiot, the food will cost more than this when you get to the concert-haha we got you dumbass consumer-9/11-baggage handler fee.

Posted by Anonymous | January 30, 2009 7:29 PM

How in the hell can this be considered competition between live nation and ticketmaster? They are not selling tickets for the same concert. Lets say I want Metallica tickets, I cannot chose which ticket seller is going to screw me. There is no competition for my ass

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2009 10:54 AM

I just sat on livenation for Phish tickets for 3 hours battling sketchy error messages only to find out it was sold out. Now- people are charging 200 bucks for a crappy lawn ticket @ Comcast (where you cant see OR hear!) This is not right. We need to write to our congressmen to get laws passed to help curb this kind of gross greed that is corrupting our right to entertainment. FUCK YOU LIVE NATION. If you want to monopolize the entire concert scene THEN GET A FUCKING SERVER THAT CAN HANDLE IT. AND TO ALL YOU SCUMBAGS TRYING TO MAKE 10X WHAT YOU PAID....KARMA BITCHES.

Posted by Jess | January 31, 2009 1:43 PM

LIVE NATION SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 31, 2009 5:24 PM

Yeah, you guys mostly summed up my sentiments. Their servers were clearly not ready for the traffic created by putting multiple dates for a major draw all at once. It was an infuriating waste of 2.5 hours on both the computer and phone... seeing seat assignments in your basket only to have them disappear as you go to the payment page 10 minutes into the sale and then being unable to buy a ticket before the show sold out... ticket selections ending in error screens (multiple flavors!) time after time... phone recording hanging up on you over and over... just a real stomach punch. Isn't this the kind of stuff that paying exorbitant fees on tickets should prevent? I really hope that I don't have to buy from them again any time soon.

Posted by Smythe | January 31, 2009 10:12 PM

I'll have to agree this LiveNation is a total crock of shit!

At least with Ticketmaster, if you got tickets in your cart, you could purchase them.
At fricking LiveNation's shithole of a website, they kicked 5 pairs of Phish tickets out of my basket
before the timer hit zero, the sixth pair expired because their shitty overloaded server farm
couldn't take my money fast enough, only to tell me it had been 15 minutes, when in fact it only
gave me 10 minutes to complete the transaction.

(Hope you like your seats, Mr. Section 203 Row S, I donated those for ya!)

All I wanted was 2 pairs of ANY tickets for the 6/20 and 6/21 Alpine show, I was only able to scrape
up 2 lawns for 6/21 at 12:56PM, that's almost 3 hours of typing in captchas and reading useless
shitty error messages! With the amount of captchas I entered, I think I might have decoded War and Peace.

Then sometimes, I would get server errors that the server had just given up.

Or, maybe the main page would just give up serving the icons for the artist.

Or, sometimes it would go back to 1985 and just show text only on the main page.

And, the biggest joke of all, the "temporary" waiting room, which was in fact quite permanent.

Let's try and figure this out, OK? Maybe Live nation can't afford to purchase the bandwidth
or servers to handle the capacity?

Nope.

Let's do some math, hmmm, tickets were $42, that's pretty fair. Thanks Phish for
not gouging like some artists do. But wait, what's this $3.00 parking fee? Does that
cover me attempting to rip my muffler off in that pasture they call a parking lot?
Why do they charge $3.00 for each ticket? Obviously not all of us are driving solo?
More scams from LiveNation, that's all.

Oh, and thanks for the $4.50 facility fee
per person, too. I realize it must be tight since you don't make any money from
concessions and Phish probably doesn't pay to use the facility. :roll:

Hey, I have an idea, maybe you could update the website to stop dumping my
cart out with that $12.85 you collect from each ticket as part of your TICKET FEE!

What a novel idea, 49% of the total ticket cost for a $42.00 ticket is for LiveNation
to continue to bend us over again!

So, to summarize, in 4 hours, LiveNation could only do what it was supposed to to ONCE!
This took me 4 hours of typing in captcha phrases, waiting, clearing errors and watching
tickets in my cart disappear. I couldn't even purchase singles in the lawn!

Live Nation, you take the cake for the most criminal business of the year in my book!

And, what pisses me off even more is the fact that nothing will be done about it. Why?
Because they sold out. Who gives a shit how crappy the system is, as long as they don't
lose any money and the tickets get sold, who gives a shit, right?

I might sound like an old fart, but at least I used to be able to camp out in line and get tickets
without paying 49% in fees, and without the lady at the ticket window yanking the tickets out
of my hand only to give them to the next person in line hours before it is sold out.

Posted by Jay P. | February 1, 2009 1:04 AM

Yup, I got fucked like everyone else. I only lasted 3 hours of typing captcha phrases before finally giving up.

I was trying to buy PHISH tickets at exactly when they went onsale, I was able to select 6 tickets and and after typing my captcha phrase was informed that no tickets were available and to try a lower number... blah blah blah

So I try again, each time the number of tickets I am able to select changes varying from 1 to 6. I finally called them and the customer service recommendation was to continue trying to refresh...

It's obvious that they won't be investing in a more advanced queuing system and aren't interested in correcting the issue with their current one. After all the tickets are selling...

FUCK YOU TICKETBASTARD AND LICKMYNATION

Posted by sameshit different day | March 27, 2009 4:23 PM

Live Nation fees for concerts at Mountain Winery in Saratoga CA are up to 26% and you cannot even get through their system (bandwidth sucks) been trying for hours (that is more than 12).

Totally sucks

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 3:11 AM

Live Nation SUCKS!!! When purchasing tickets for the Bob Seger concert in Fargo N.D. I was given an incomplete code and spent over 2 HOURS getting the right code. Also when ordering a t-shirt for the concert there wasn't a way to specify size. A few days after the concert I received a email asking to specify my size. After talking to a customer service (thats a oxymoron for sure) rep I was informed that a refund was out of the question. I got the joke of a managers name and called back and I was informed that even though these things were their fault a refund was not possible! ALL I CAN SAY IS BEWARE.

Posted by Dan | March 20, 2013 2:48 PM