Posted in music | tour dates | venues on January 15, 2009

Paul Simon @ Town Hall (more by Ryan Muir)
Paul Simon

It is only fitting that one of New York's very own would celebrate another New York icon as Paul Simon takes the stage, following MSGE's restoration, to "reopen" this legendary theatre. Simon first performed at the Beacon in 1990 alongside Paul McCartney and returned for a critically acclaimed three-night run in December of 2000. Simon also made an appearance at the Theatre in 2003 for Willie Nelson's nationally televised 70th birthday celebration. Simon's highly anticipated two-night run on February 13 and 14 to reopen the Theatre will mark his first show at the Beacon in nearly six years...

...Tickets to either of the two historic nights, and all concert events at the facilities at Madison Square Garden, Radio City Music Hall and the Beacon Theatre, are available beginning on the first day of sale through Ticketmaster Charge By Phone and all Ticketmaster Outlets, and beginning on the second day of sale at the Garden and Music Hall Box Office. Tickets for February 13 and 14 will range from $80-$265 and will go on-sale starting at 9 AM on January 25.

There were lots of good guesses. The Bruce Springsteen people were pretty convincing too, though I thought for sure it was Bob the Builder.

In barely related news, Deer Tick recently gave away a cover version of one of Paul Simon's songs. You can grab that MP3 HERE.

Phosphorescent is giving away a cover of Paul's friend Willie Nelson.

Another legendary artist, Leonard Cohen, also has a show coming up at the Beacon.

The picture above is from a recent show Paul recently played at Town Hall, another legendary seated NYC venue.

This is really disappointing, thought it might actually be somebody I'd shell out the big bucks for. Instead it's Vampire Weekend Beta.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 12:43 PM

Very odd that he would be picked, since he is not an artist, nor is he legendary. Paul Simon is a cheese/hamburger worker and just learned to pick at the guitar about 8 weeks ago. He is of average height and he only knows 3 songs by Sade. Behind our backs he calls us gullible and hairless. I'm saddened by this development as it makes a mockery of us all.

t/ftw

Posted by twigs/ftwigs | January 15, 2009 12:44 PM

still banking on a rick roll

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 12:50 PM

I went to that Paul Simon series at BAM last year and had a great time. I think it's a good choice.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 12:52 PM

Ditto on last year's BAM show. It was fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 12:56 PM

who gives a f*ck where you went 12:52 and 12:56. you sound like his PR people

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 12:57 PM

$265 top price? I love Paul, but no thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 12:59 PM

They should have got Jerry Garcia

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 1:04 PM

WHERE'S ART GARFUNKEL???????

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 1:19 PM

That's the last time I trust the word of a self-proclaimed MSG insider who said for certain it was Bruce.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 1:21 PM

I'm a self-proclaimed MSG insider and I have an inside tip about who will be playing at the newly renovated Beacon.....it's Paul Simon.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 1:26 PM

he's no Don Felder

Posted by sausage vendor on columbus ave | January 15, 2009 1:27 PM

ah fck it. id go see paul simon.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 1:28 PM

Art Garfunkel is in his Central Park West apartment crying his eyes out. Which isn't all that unusual really.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 1:29 PM

I'd rather see Art Garfunkel.

Bring on Art Garfunkel

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 1:30 PM

1257: You just sound like an asshole, really.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 1:48 PM

I went to the Paul Simon series at BAM last year and had this really great scone. I unwrapped it carefully from some paper and huddled in the corner and ate it. It was pumpkin with choco-bits inside it. I can't describe the texture... you wouldn't believe me anyway. I must have been making pleasure noises because a man and woman came over and said: "hey pal, keep it down, we're trying to enjoy that legend called Paul Simon" I kept eating my scone and soon they just reached out their hands like urchins-- I gave them no crumbs. They made me fall HARD and started kicking at me, I remember the woman's toenails were painted green and lime green. I tried biting at those toes. I had a hard-on that wouldn't quit and scone butter all over my face, it probably glistened in the half light. i woke up later in staten island. I'm afraid but more alive than I've ever been

Posted by HELLO STORY | January 15, 2009 1:54 PM

The exact same thing happened to me last weekend.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 2:16 PM

Paul Simon = Garbage

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 2:20 PM

what about MGMT?

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 2:22 PM

Paul Simon is the definition of a living legend.

I feel sorry for you if you don't have at least a greatest hits collection of his in your collection.

If you don't, then go and download it now and listen. then if you you want to say some shit about this monster of rock music history after that, go for it. He's up there with Lennon/McCartney.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 2:28 PM

Simonizing > Rhymin' Simon

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 2:32 PM

Legendary Artist? Fuckin' Thief is more like it. Fuck him.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 2:34 PM

Bridge Over Troubled Water is an unbelievable album. (not talking about the individual song with the same title necessarily)

the record was way ahead of its time

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 2:35 PM

The new record "Music is Free" by the queens power-pop band Brilliant Sweaters is available for free download at www.brilliantsweaters.com , its fucking awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 2:36 PM

seriously "Brilliant Sweaters," this is your plan for getting people to like your band?

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 2:47 PM

Whatevs BRO -- I just bought 6 Brilliant Sweaters records and 1 Brilliant Sweater reversible Hoodie on the strength of that post alone.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 2:48 PM

Seriously, why aren't Brilliant Shitters opening the Beacon?
What gives?

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 2:51 PM

Hipsters love hating on Paul Simon...I don't know why because he has much more talent than many of your "idols."

Posted by kb | January 15, 2009 2:51 PM

Dear Anonymous #1, the answer to your question is Yes! that is our entire marketing strategy.

Brilliant Sweaters

Posted by Ronno | January 15, 2009 2:59 PM

you are tacky, hack-y motherfuckers for advertising your band in the Brooklyn Vegan comment section.

learn yourself some self respect, kid

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 3:01 PM

I could essentially be a lot older then you. most likely not but nonetheless, your comment does look pretty bitching after the application of a comma followed by the word kid. Again , i'm sorry i didn't consult you Anonymous #11 before trying (..and failing) to get people to listen to my shitty band, that only advertises on blogs that promote Paul Simon. take it sleazy.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 3:10 PM

I just bought 4 more EPs & a decal on the strength of the Brilliant Sweaters' snappy, spunky rejoinder.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 3:13 PM

Hall and Oates would have made more sense than this

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 3:17 PM

they should have had Phish playing instead
but then again the pothead may ruin the renovations...

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 3:18 PM

Unfortunately, curiousity got the better of me-- if you ever wondered what crappy No Age songs sounded like if you covered by a 3rd-rate All American Rejects clone...

YOU SHOULD TOTALLY CHECK OUT THE NEW RECORD BY THE BRILLIANT SWEATERS!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 3:19 PM

hamburger vs. spaghetti?

spaghetti is wily, can tangle and trap... but is cowardly and lacks conviction

i put my money on hamburger, it has bulk and heart. it can power through

Posted by My sincere feelings | January 15, 2009 3:21 PM

ohhhhhhhhh shitttttt my mans got jokes! TURN THE FUCKING CAP LOCKS OFF.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 3:22 PM

hahahaha

R.I.P Brilliant Sweaters (Jan 15, 2009 - Jan 15, 2009)

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 3:30 PM

"who gives a f*ck where you went 12:52 and 12:56. you sound like his PR people"

dick

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 5:22 PM

5:22 -- dude. It's BV. You gotta step up your angry anonymous-comment game brah.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 5:34 PM

Sunn O))) should play.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 6:50 PM

Sunn 0))) vs. Brilliant Sweaters.

Who wins?

Winner vs. burger.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 6:57 PM

what time does daft punk go on?

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 9:02 PM

Best of all time.

I'll be there.

Posted by Bernie | January 15, 2009 10:29 PM

You have secret information that the rest of us don't ....

You are way cooler.

I wish I could be you.

Posted by Anonymous | January 15, 2009 10:56 PM

The comments of Anonymous should be removed here. At least not be taken seriously. It's very immature behaviour.

Posted by ramona | January 16, 2009 1:12 AM

whereas giving an arbritrary, untraceable name like "ramona" to indentify oneself is the very definition of mature and relevant

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2009 7:29 AM

Paul, you remember?
The duo S & G yet exist and many have not forgotten.

In October of 1993, S&G performed a series of 21 dates at the Paramount Theater (in the Madison Square Garden complex). The shows coincided with the release of Paul Simon's "1964-1993" box set. Some sources indicate that one show was performed at The Beacon Theater, but I don't recall hearing anything about that, nor was there ever any explanation for the sudden change of venue. As far as I know, all of the New York shows were at the Paramount.

Simon & Garfunkel Live at the Beacon Theatre 22nd October 1993

1. The Boxer
2. America
3. Homeward Bound

Art: “Thanks”,
Paul: “Art?”
Art: “I just got distracted as they were taking photographs”
Paul: “Ah …”
Art: “You tell them … (inaudible)
(Laughter)
Art: “Hey! Don’t mess with my partner here!”
(Laughter)
Art: “These (inaudible) photos were actually thinking note for note”.
Paul: “Em … hia!”
Art: (Whispers) “I’m back!”

Paul: “Arthur and I, eh, as some of you probably know, come from the much maligned borough of Queens …. (Big cheer) …. And eh, there we began to eh, sing at the age of 13. We were in a group with 3 other kids, Angel (inaudible), Johnny Brennan, and eh, and the 2 of us and we called ourselves ‘The Sparks’. But then, we had a big meeting and we changed the name to ‘The Peptones’ … which was our name when we broke up about a week or 2 later. That’s when we began to sing together as a duo and our first model, em, was an R&B group called ‘Robert & Johnny’ and they had a song called ‘You’re Mine And We Belong Together’ and that was the first time that we began to sing in harmony”.

4. You’re Mine

Art: “Remember those days?
Paul: “But then, em, we heard the Everly Brothers and that became our new model …. And eh, we did our best to sing and sound like two guys who came from Kentucky as apposed to two guys from Kew Gardens. And the people in Kew Gardens never seemed to notice actually. Certainly not my Grandparents, who are long gone actually now. I remember my Grandmother saying – I don’t know if I ever told you this Art – I remember my Grandmother saying to me ‘Aaron Presley, is that a Jewish name?’ (laughter) ‘No, I don’t think so, Grandma!’ ‘Sounds Jewish!’.
So the first … so then we started to imitate the Everly Brothers and eh, we bought their album and eh, this was like one of the songs off their album that we used to practise with”.

5. Be Bop a Lula

Paul: “When we were 15 years old we made our first record, and eh, we recorded under the name of Tom & Jerry. Arthur was, Arthur was Tom …. leave the rest to your imagination. And em, our record was called ‘Hey Schoolgirl, parenthesis, in the 2nd Row’. They seemed to make records with a lot of parentheses then! Our first show that we ever got paid for, em, we worked at the Hartfort State Theatre, em, one weekend. Our Fathers drove us up and we were paid em, I think we were paid $400 for the weekend which, believe me, was, we were, we were vastly over-paid! I’ll put it to you that way! (Laughter) And eh, the headliner, the headliner was Laverne Baker, the next headliner was a group called ‘Little Joe and The Thrillers’ – quite a big record, eh, a No. 1 record called ‘Peanuts’ “.

(Art sings a bit of the song ‘Peanuts’ followed by audience laughter)

Paul: “$100 seats are starting to seem like a bargain now, aren’t they? (Laughter) We may do the whole ‘Peanuts’ later, a lot depends on the flow of the evening for us! So when we got up there and the other group, there was one other group on the bill also, called ‘The Sparkletones’, had a record called ‘Black Slacks’ and when we got up there, we began, eh what was the beginning of our careers in show business and we began with a very useful piece of information: Little Joe, riding the crest of em, his No. 1 record, had dumped ‘The Thrillers’ and was now billing himself as ‘Little Joe, The Thriller’! Eh, an act that was really to speak volumes about the eh, industry that we so desperately wanted to become a part of. And the other group, these guys, eh, ‘The Sparkletones’ they were kids our age and eh, they came from Calpen, Alabama and they said that eh, they said to us, (puts on Southern accent) ‘You guys, Tom & Jerry?’. We said ‘Yeah?’ and eh, and they said ‘Is this your first rock ‘n’ roll show?’. We said ‘Yeah, it is’ and they said ‘Well you guys are gonna love it!’ and we did! This is for ‘The Sparkletones’.

6. Black Slacks

Paul: Then we came on and we sang our hit song ‘Hey Schoolgirl’.

7. Hey Schoolgirl

Art: “Good evening! Eh, it’s now the 25th anniversary of the film, ‘The Graduate’. (Applause) It’s very little, eh, publicised, and hardly known at all but I actually wrote ‘Mrs. Robinson’. It was 1968 when I wrote ‘Mrs. Robinson’ and before coming on stage, in my dressing room, for real, I received this note: ‘Dear Art, I’m sorry, this is 25 years late but I’m writing you back! With love, Anne Bankcroft’. “ (Applause, laughter)

8. Mrs. Robinson

9. El Condor Pasa

Art: “There was a time around the mid 60s when eh, as the Summer approached I left school at Columbia, where I was attending and flew to England, joined Paul and we gigged around England and he showed me the latest batch of 3 or 4 new tunes he had written, amongst them was this and it’s been a great favourite of mine”.

10. April Come She Will
11. Feelin’ Groovy (during which Art says ‘They’ve stopped clapping!”)

Art: (After song) “Yeah! I shamed you into it!

I never know my own attitude as I’m singing that song. Here from the 59th Street Bridge in New York City to the North-East Coast of England ……

10. Scarborough Fair
11. Bridge Over Troubled Water
12. Cecilia
13. Kathy’s Song (sung by both)
14. Sound of Silence

Paul: Thank you very much, thank you so much ….
15. Old Friends

Posted by here I am | January 17, 2009 12:26 PM

Speghetti vs. Hamburgers?
I would eat speghetti any day.

Posted by Dooder City | January 17, 2009 12:35 PM

Paul, you remember?
Remember the first arguments with Artie ?

An episode early in his relationship with Art Garfunkel also involved Elvis, at least in an oblique way, and has affected their friendship to the present day.

Paul -“During this time we were singing together, I made a solo record. And it made Artie very unhappy. He looked upon it as something of a betrayal. That sense of betrayal has remained with him. That solo record that I made at the age of 15 permanently colored our relationship. We were talking about it recently and I said, “Artie, for Christ’s sake, I was 15 years old! How can you carry that betrayal for 25 years? Even if I was wrong, I was just a 15-year-old kid who wanted to be Elvis Presley for one moment instead of being the Everly Brothers with you. Even if you were hurt, let’s drop it.”....
“But he won’t…. He said, “You’re still the same guy.” And I think he thinks I am”.

And, as always, Art weeping alone in his attic in Central Park.

Posted by here I am | January 17, 2009 1:29 PM

Christ, Paul Simon is the greatest songwriter of our time. He's much better than Artie because Paul wrote all these songs that Artie's still singing today.

Paul Simon=Legend
Artie Garfunkel=Leech

Posted by Anonymous | January 28, 2009 6:44 AM

To anonymous
It is disgraceful say that Garfunkel is a leech.
Simon & Garfunkel have built together on its success. Paul as songwriter, Artie with his stellar voice and its beauty. Artie has also written some songs, as Artie Garr, but then decided to leave space to the creativity of Paul, working as an organizer and adviser, claiming in every way the friend. He has made a step back, when the harmonization of the duo have obtained a worldwide success.
Garfunkel has recorded 11 albums solo, but in its show continues to sing the classic S & G because the public so requests. Paul has a monstrous ego and took advantage of the generosity and the humility of his friend.
People should remember the first steps of Paul Simon and of duo, before judging.
Read this, to remember: http://delrock.it/album/0/the_paul_simon_songbook.php
If you want to know something about young Paul Simon, the first interstellar success with Art Garfunkel, ask Jerry Landis, True to Taylor, a Tico, a Paul Kane…………………
Paul Simon spent eight years of his life as well, from 1957 to'65, including failures and humiliations (recordered The Paul Simon Songboock) blows on Sunday and hopes dashed………………… So Simon had taken the way of England, the engravings of luck, the night in small clubs in the province before a few people……………….. It was in those years that he met Art Garfunkel, and was close in some of those adventures………………..
It happened just in those months, without Simon, who was alerted only when the disc came in the championship, he returned hastily reappeared in the U.S. and the partnership with Garfunkel. Time a few months and the two start the career, this time kissed by immense fortune……

Posted by here I am | February 1, 2009 2:04 PM

Thanks Paul! Welcome back home! Beautiful SEE YOU WITH YOUR old friend!

Posted by I am here | February 14, 2009 6:53 AM