Posted in music | tour dates on January 16, 2009

Pogues

There are occasional rumbles as to the point of the Pogues' now-annual Christmas reunions (and St Patrick's Day US equivalents). In the seven years since the joyous release of seeing Shane MacGowan return to his old band at the Manchester Academy, these chaotic, maudlin occasions have too often relied on the crowd's memories of what MacGowan might have been singing, if he could only remember his name.

Pogues gig reviews have often resembled medical bulletins on the alcohol intake of their errant singer-songwriter. Fingers have also been pointed at the failure of a man with a great lyric gift to record a single new song in 11 years, content, it has seemed, to hold court in north London's Boogaloo bar until he falls off his stool. But this is a man living the life he wants, with his great work completed - every boozing poet's dream. And any complaints about the Pogues rehashing that songbook again are blasted to tinder tonight. [The Independent]

Tickets ($59.50 advance/ $ 65.00 day of show) are on sale today (@ 10AM) for a March 14th show at Roseland Balroom. The previously announced NYC dates are March 12 and 13.

I went to the Manchester Academy first reunion show in 2001. It was excellent. Shane was in fine voice and didn't have any problem remembering the lyrics. This has also been the case at the 2006,2007, and 2008 shows. What is this idiot talking about? (excerpted below)

Please, if you've been to any of the shows mentioned above, share your impressions. Am I right or am I wrong?

>>these chaotic, maudlin occasions have too often relied on the crowd's memories of what MacGowan might have been singing, if he could only remember his name<<

Posted by Brian | January 16, 2009 9:33 AM

Brian,

I've been to the ones in 2006 and 2007 and I agree with you. Shane's singing is mostly spot-on, and it's actually easier to understand than his banter between the songs.

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2009 9:53 AM

they suck.

where's sufjan at?

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2009 10:01 AM

Totally untrue.

He wrote and recorded "Road to Paradise" in 2004.

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2009 10:30 AM

"Fingers have also been pointed..."

Hope it wasn't Shane's fingers. Ewwwwww

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2009 10:37 AM

I show the finger to anyone who has a show at Roseland.

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2009 10:39 AM

I give the finger to Live Nation for charging a $14 fee per fuggin' ticket! That's the cost of three pints of Guinness and a bag of potato chips. Or as I call it, "The Full Irish Breakfast".

Posted by Brian Farrelly | January 16, 2009 11:06 AM

" "Fingers have also been pointed at the failure of a man with a great lyric gift to record a single new song in 11 years"

Totally untrue.

He wrote and recorded "Road to Paradise" in 2004. "

Hasn't he also supposedly recorded two or three additional solo albums, yet no one wants to release them, as they expect his death? That's what I have been hearing for years now (well, mostly in the earlier half of the decade).

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2009 11:10 AM

How is this guy still alive?

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2009 11:31 AM

umm, cause drinking is good for you....seriously people live perfectly long lives even if they are drunks. he would be dead if he was shooting up everyday. nothing wrong with tons of pints and whiskey.

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2009 11:40 AM

Great band, terrible singer. Saw them a few years ago and the rest of the guys can really play (even though this not my type of music as my then fiance, now wife dragged me to the Nokia theater) but McGowan is just horrible. Too bad they dont have a good singer. Just my 2 cents.

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2009 11:47 AM

^^
Noob.

Posted by Anonymous | January 16, 2009 11:50 AM

crisps, not chips brian.

Posted by tam o'shanter | January 16, 2009 12:44 PM

1) Anyone who has been to the recent shows that I have spoken to, thought they were amazing. Having seen the shows as well, I agree. His voice was great.
2) the idiot who posted "too bad they don't have a good singer" probably hates Dylan too. Please go away.

Posted by adam | January 16, 2009 3:41 PM

Went to see the Pogues last St. Patrick's day at Roseland. It was my first time seeing them. The band was excellent and Shane was the highlight. He may have been piss drunk but he knows those songs cold anyway. There was a great, positive crowd as well that night.

Posted by mike | January 16, 2009 3:52 PM

it breaks my hart to see a great poet consumed by alcaholism for your entertanment.
you fuckin rat bastards!

Posted by mike flood | January 21, 2009 11:23 AM

anyone know whether saturday, march 14 show is sold out?

Posted by danw | January 31, 2009 1:11 PM

As of yesterday, there are still tickets for Saturday, the 14th. I saw them last March at Roseland, and I am seeing them again on Saturday.

True, the alcoholism is sad, but Shane is a genius--like Yeats, a tomented soul. A great singer and a great writer who doesn't have to write anything new. All he has to do is stand (ok, so sometimes that's difficult) by everything he's written.

Long live the Pogues. Shane, we love you.

Posted by Eileen McNerney | March 13, 2009 9:55 AM

he misses the point .. and is off base.
it's like complaining that Bukowski was a drunk.
Just stupid.