Posted in music | tour dates on January 19, 2009

Tom Jones

Legendary singer Tom Jones releases his first new US studio album in 15 years. Entitled 24 Hours, most of the 13 songs are co-written by Jones and produced by British duo Future Cut, who recently helmed tracks for Lily Allen, Kate Nash, Estelle and others. Jones co-wrote over half of the songs on 24 Hours, a first for him. "It's all very well just singing songs, but for this record I really wanted to get properly personal. In other words, you listen to this album and you get the real me."

In addition to Jones' co-written songs, Bono and the Edge of U2 contribute and play guitar on a brand new song "Sugar Daddy," written specifically for Jones and inspired by a meeting of the friends in a pub in Dublin.

"24 Hours" was released November 25th on S-Curve Records. Speaking to Las Vegas Review-Journal, Tom said,
It all started with Bono, explains the singer, who plans to perform as many as six of the new songs in his MGM Grand shows through Jan. 28. The two met in a Dublin nightclub more than two years ago, and Jones said, "I'd love you to write me a song."

"(Bono) said, 'OK, but if I'm going to write one, it's going to be about you.' " The two went on to discuss Jones' past, with Bono confessing, "When he was a kid, he saw me on TV and he liked the way I dressed as well as the way I sounded. So all that stuff is in the song."

When the two met up again in another club -- this time in London -- Bono sang the rough product of his labors with U2-mate The Edge and writing partner Simon Carmody. The tongue-in-cheek ditty called "Sugar Daddy" captures the Tom Jones swagger by proclaiming "I'm the last great tradition" and boasts, "You don't send a boy to do a man's job." But it also confesses, "the older I get, the better I was." Jones says he and his manager son, Mark Woodward, have talked about pop singers aging and people saying, "Maybe he shouldn't be doing this anymore."

"But you get a blues singer, and nobody's concerned about his age. ... With blues singers, people seem to enjoy that these men have experienced life. And I think maybe this is what happened with this (album) as well. "Maybe it's because I've been around a long time, I think these songs are more fitting now."

After Bono went through the lyrics, he pointed out "That information you gave me in Dublin, there's a lot of that in this song."

"I said, 'Well, do I get writer credit?'
"He said, 'No.' He didn't even think about it," Jones recalls with a chuckle.

The singer remembered Bono's approach -- and took corrective action for royalties -- when the original recording sessions stalled out.

Tom Jones, currently in the midst of a residency at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, is coming back to NYC in February for a show at... Terminal 5. $50 tickets go on sale Friday. All dates below...

Tom Jones - 2009 Tour Dates

Legendary superstar.

Posted by Anonymous | January 19, 2009 2:37 PM

Legendary fake tan.

Posted by Anonymous | January 19, 2009 2:40 PM

FUCK BONO AND U2!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | January 19, 2009 2:44 PM

serious question: is tom jones actually black?

Posted by Anonymous | January 19, 2009 2:59 PM

Is that Robert Downey Jr. from Tropic Thunder?

Posted by Anonymous | January 19, 2009 3:20 PM

legendary cock.

also, why do we give these stiffs a second, and third, and fourth chance? take your money and go back to wales, fella.

Posted by Anonymous | January 19, 2009 3:37 PM

I don't know if Tom's Welsh roots have any African bits, but according to Elvira he's got an enormous cock.

So it's possible.

Posted by pecker checker | January 19, 2009 3:37 PM

Yeah he is Black Welsh.

Posted by Anonymous | January 19, 2009 7:27 PM

come ON

Posted by Anonymous | January 19, 2009 10:11 PM

Anonymous is a legendary jerk. Tom Jones is a great singer and if you don't see him, you are cheating yourself and proving to be the fool your comments portray you as being.

Posted by also anonymous | January 21, 2009 1:21 PM

Legendary ignorance in many of these comments.

Those who need to ask if he's black, or why he's being given "another chance" would do better to keep their rather embarrassing questions to themselves.

This is a performer who far from being "given another chance" still performs two hundred high energy shows a year and has recorded consistently for over forty years. He generates his own good fortune from his talent and hard work.

Check out his great new album.

Posted by Anonymous | January 21, 2009 2:03 PM

SHAME ON YOUR LANGUAGE TOM JONES IS A WONDERFUL ENTERTAINER AND PUTS DOWN A LOT OF THESE YOUNG SINGERS WHO CANNOT SING FOR HIS AGE HE IS A SUPERB SINGER AND ONE HELL OF A S-E-X B-O-M-B
DO YOURSELVES A FAVOR AND GO SEE HIM YOU MIGHT LEARN A THING OR TWO

Posted by NINA | January 22, 2009 5:18 PM

COME ON TOM GET THOSE 2009 UK TOUR DATES UP SAW YOU IN VEGAS DECEMBER 2008 AND YOU WERE AWESOME

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2009 7:45 AM

Tom Jones is a star! Sure Vegas stole him for the entire 70's and 80's but lets be honest, He's a singer with more charisma than Elvis and more style than Sinatra but - it's a big but, he'll never have their grooming or honed talent.
You know, he used to be the same colour that Jacko is now and vice versa....
And you never see him and Shirley Bassey together...hmmmm.
TJ is most definately the best in his class, as a show lounge singer, in the world today.

Music needs all types, the showman style of TJ, the sheer indulgent theater of Marilyn Manson and the pop/rock power of the Killers, to compare any of those ith each other is just a nonsence, like comparing a 1950's Harley with a 2009 Dodge charger, or a potato with a banana, yep they serve a similar purpose, but they aint the same.
Rock on Tom, top in your class (like the man will ever read this anyway)

Posted by Welshboy | January 29, 2009 7:49 AM

Tom Jones is a Welshman from Pontypridd, as was my father, and people of his colour are not unusual, carrying ancient black genes recognised by the Roman historian Tacitus almost 2,000 years ago. He described the tribe that occupied South Wales and Gloucestershire, the Silures, as being dark skinned with wooly hair, distinguishing them from the rest of the British (Celtic) tribes in Britain.

They were the fiercest fighters the Romans ever met in northern Europe, so much so that they spared the life of their leader Caractacus (Caradoc) when, after years of resistance, the Silureans were eventually overcome. Caractacus was honoured in Rome after capture and, instead of being executed as was the norm, he was given an estate and pension for life.

Pliny, another contemporary Roman historian, described the Silures as looking like Ethiopeans. These were the ancestors of Tom Jones and other famous Welsh people like Katherine Zeta Jones, who is more likely to be mistaken as Spanish than English. Shirley Bassey got her colour from her father who was a black man from the Caribbean.

Brythonic, the branch of Gaelic spoken by the Welsh, contains many words and linguistic structures that are not Indo-European but closely related to African languages. The Silures were probably the remnants of the Bell Beaker people who inhabited Britain before the Celts came. Stonehenge was built long before the Celts arrived and the blue stones were quarried in south Wales.

Posted by Kwesi Bacchra | February 2, 2009 7:05 PM

wil tom jones be touring this year near the scranton, wilkes -barre , pa. area?

Posted by jeff dangelo | February 5, 2009 12:42 AM

if the critics actually took the time to go to a tj gig they would be silenced forever his voice is amazing and his band are tight. he is a true professional and with his talent do you think he really cares what these anonymous people think lets hope we see tj back in glasgow this year

Posted by liz stewart | February 15, 2009 7:52 AM

I am a loving fan of Tom Jones,since a very young age of 18 he was my entertainer for all times, I live in Halifax N.S. And request his songs every day on a radio station named Seaside F.M.here in Nova Scotis I have all his L.P.s and Cds. Really you never can get enough of Tom Jones.What I would really like is if he came to Halifax Nova Scotia, on tour I have many girl friends and I would be there too early bird tickets in the front row.Hopefully you pass this information on to Mr.Jones,He still the best as far as I am cocerned.I would love his autograp on my cd. He has the best voice ever. Thank you for listening.

Posted by Joan Brothers | August 10, 2009 6:12 PM

I thought the very groovy Tom Jones was of Indian Gypsy descent...My Grandfathers family name was Evans...another really common South Welsh name...I think my Grandfather was of the "kale"..the Black Welsh gypsies...

My Grandfathers brother had the same coloring and curly hair as Mr. Tom Jones...

I am trying to find out my ancestory...People think i am Afghan, Turkish, Indian, Irish, Lebanese, Spanish, Portuguese, white Filipina...French..Iranian...Italian..etc etc..Maybe i am and "WE" are all "Rainbow People"

Posted by Brother X | August 20, 2009 3:41 AM

Great singer, Remember seeing him with my mom
at the D.I. hotel

Posted by Remodeling | September 13, 2010 8:54 PM

Adam and eve were from Ethiopia so we are all a little black get over it!

Posted by Pattie | October 2, 2011 10:33 PM

yes he's from treforest, but most of his family just a single generation back are from england. all this mystical 'black welsh' stuff is very bizarre, and is just a sexy and utterly, utterly unprovable theory to support the idea that a white man couldn't dance or sing like he does.
i myself am indo-nubian-scouse, so i should know about fucked up genetic heritage.

Posted by Anonymous | January 26, 2012 7:54 PM