Posted in music | pictures on January 12, 2009

photos by Zach Dilgard

Tony Conrad

"The narrow room where IPR has its world-renowned, state of the art speaker system was packed, with people seated in the aisle and on the floor. The performers had hooked up their instruments to a separate PA system. I'm all about experimental performance, light and sound theater and dissonant/atonal/weird sounding music. I was looking forward to see something totally bizarre that I probably wouldn't totally understand, but enjoy.

Instead, the first hour and 20 minutes of the show was a way-too-loud continuous looping of speaker feedback. I go to live shows and clubs all the time where the music is too loud, but can get into the music. In this case, it was impossible." [NY Press]

That negative review of one of the Tony Conrad / Genesis Breyer P-Orridge shows at Issue Project Room this weekend doesn't specify if the reviewer was there Saturday or Sunday. Zach was there Sunday (1/11). He said, "They played two sets with an intermission in between. Each set was about 30-45 mins each I think. It was a full house although the seating inside didn't provide for a huge crowd - I'd say 50 seats at the most. I didn't recognize any of the songs as this was the first time Tony and Genesis had ever performed together, an experiment of sorts." I think it's safe to say that there probably weren't any songs to recognize, aka it was complete improvisation. More pictures from the Sunday show below...

Tony Conrad

The idea to unite the two influential musicians was conceived at the screening of "Marie Losier's Film Portraits" at the French Institute Alliance Fran├žaise in September of 2008. Upon watching Losier's documentary, "Tony Conrad DreaMinimalist," P-Orridge confessed that violin, which figured prominently in the film, was her favorite instrument and that hearing Conrad's personal story made her cherish it even more. "I initially wanted to create a scene for the film on Genesis in which she and Tony would just play the violin together," says Losier. "But very quickly this idea developed into a strong desire to see the two musicians I love perform live for an audience. Even though their paths have not crossed up until this point, it only felt natural to me that they should."

the second set on sunday was better than the first - the first being kindof unremarkable noise. The second tho was a lovely drone trance that went all over the place very wonderfully. There was an encore (?) too dedicated to Marie Losier, which Gen introduced in her sweet british accent = "this is a song about two elves meeting in another dimension."

Posted by hellebore | January 12, 2009 6:10 PM

Nobody cares

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2009 7:48 PM

^ about you.

Posted by Anonymous | January 12, 2009 10:44 PM

looks awesome. IPR can hold up to 100 people or so. I dont think anyone is counting though. you guys should have been for Giffoni on Friday, it was utterly fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | January 13, 2009 8:41 AM

hey! who's the third guy in the photographs? It's MORRISON EDLEY! Seems like a factual omission by incompetent writers.

Posted by VG | January 13, 2009 2:28 PM

that reviewer hasn't been to a "real" noise show if he seriously thinks that the performances were making ears bleed..

Posted by Anonymous | January 13, 2009 10:17 PM

she?

Posted by joly | January 14, 2009 4:24 PM

hey Joly, are you gonna post Oneida at the Knit?

Posted by Anonymous | January 14, 2009 4:42 PM

Gen looks pregnant.

Posted by Mistress Yanna | January 26, 2009 11:36 PM

Dear People,
We won't try to defend the music Tony and myself played at Issue Project Room. We DO feel it relevant to mention we neither of us had seen the other play before. Nor had we rehearsed in advance of the first notes we played. The event was an experiment in improvisation.

Also relevant, we feel, is to also note that on Saturday there was a 15 minute section of just temple bells accompanied by Morrison Edley on a gong. There were no loops at all. Everything was played live, though both violins could go through efFects. On Saturday there was also a 15 minute piece of Morrison Edley on military bass drum and Tony without me at all. After the break came another 15 minuite piece of hawian acoustic guitars and african thumb piano.

On Sunday there was a 15 minute piece of just myself and Morrison Edley on drums with Tony on violin. There were long passages of minimalist music too, which is what Tony is famous for. At no time did we ever imply anything bizarre would occur and we do not apologise for failing to satisfy anyone's baseless expectations.

For myself, playing with Tony was an honour, and we tried to play in ways that were compatable and harmonius with Tony. It was his early works that inspired me to pick up the violin in 1967 and we feel his influence is intrinsic to our approach to sound.

Both performances received incredible applause from the audience and requests for us to play together again.In my experience when something has never happened before it is always best to approach it without expectations, preconceived notions or predjudice.

As to my looking pregnant, it is true. We are suffering from a severe medical condition and are in the process of xrays, ultrasound and other proceedures to discover how life threatening it might be and if it can be treated. To ridicule a person for their physical appearance always risks being cruel, tactless and inappropriate with hindsight.

sincerely,

Genesis Breyer P-Orridge

Posted by genesis breyer p-orridge | January 28, 2009 6:17 PM

Hey Gen! Lookin'forward to seeing and hearing you with TG in SF on April 23rd @ the AVALON. X23

Posted by Paul | February 5, 2009 9:07 AM

hey Gen
looking forwards to meeting you in good old blighty for the tg gig
best wishes to you
and hey nobody knew about your illness
so good luck and take care
love from