Posted in music on February 10, 2009

Alison Krauss & Robert Plant @ ACL 2008 (more by Kyle Dean Reinford)
Rounder Records

Rounder Records, a venerable independent label based in the Northeast, released "Raising Sand," and it has become one of its biggest hits. Its multiple nominations were old hat for Alison Krauss, who before Sunday had already won 21 Grammy Awards. But none was for a project quite this adventurous.

"We ostensibly come from such different places on the musical map," Robert Plant said in a media conference backstage Sunday. "Alison showed me so much I had never been exposed to."

That Plant is still learning new tricks is a testament to his artistry. That he's not touring with a reunited Led Zeppelin is a sign of enduring integrity. That's a lot of money to be passing up, even if "Raising Sand" did win five Grammys.

But Plant was having none of it. The singer again was confronted with the inevitable question Sunday about his future involvement in any Zeppelin tour.

"How old are you, man?" Plant responded. "Because you look older than me. You try to do 'Communication Breakdown' in these pants." [Chicago Tribune]

Pics from their MSG Theater show, HERE.

Enough already. Plant needs to join the boys and get Led Zeppelin off the ground. Page and John Paul Jones have been writing new material because they believe the only reason to do a tour is to have something new to offer along with the classics.

End the BS Robert and rock n roll baby!

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2009 9:37 AM

let it go. Plant can't sing Led Zep anymore heck he could barely dso it in the late 70's. He gets to hide behind Alison Krauss excellent voice so this is a better gig for him.

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2009 9:48 AM

i got somethin that I would expose Ms. Kraus to.

Posted by ya | February 10, 2009 9:50 AM

Ha! Nice one, Ya. I'm with you on that one.

I'm of the opinion that if Plant can't hit the songs vocally anymore then he's making the right choice. I dislike comeback tours centered around aging musicians who can't create the vibe anymore. Page and Jones play instruments and can, no doubt, master the sound. Plant relies on his voice, and if that's not gonna cut it, then keep the legacy where it stands.

Hoping not to sound frivolous, I don't want to see him do "Communication Breakdown" in those pants. I also certainly don't want to HEAR it if his pipes can't reach those sounds.

Posted by Kevin | February 10, 2009 11:52 AM

rounder records

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2009 12:05 PM

Who cares if he can sing the old stuff? Would you really want to see Zeppelin become the Stones or the Who?? He's turned his back on the new material Jimmy and Jonesy handed him-which by the way, he said back in '03 if there was any he would love to do Zep again-because he's afraid it won't be accepted.
He went from "we've got it" and "there's nothing I'd rather be doing" to "no thanks" and "Zeppelin hasn't been complete since Bonzo died". That's a crock. Where did it go in the last year?? Up his ass is where.

Posted by gollum | February 10, 2009 12:47 PM

he should start a new supergroup: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Plant

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2009 12:54 PM

Plant wanted to join Vivian Girls but they turned him down because "he wasn't punk."

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2009 1:07 PM

I heard he is fronting a new indie lo-fi bedroom group called ZZZEPELIN BEAR

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2009 1:11 PM

Percy said he felt a little embarrassed onstage at O2. Fair enough, he is a little embarrassing. That beard...

Posted by Jed Low | February 10, 2009 7:17 PM