Posted in music | pictures on February 11, 2009

photos by Bao Nguyen

DOWNLOAD: Matt and Kim - Silver Tiles (MP3)

Lily Allen

Trouble Andrew, Matt & Kim, and Lily Allen played a MySpace Secret Show at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC last night, February 10th. It was the same day Lily's new album It's Not Me, It's You was released.

I missed them, but I'm told Trouble Andrew played for only 15 minutes. Matt & Kim started at 9PM and played to an enthusiastic, but not full, room. It wasn't until Lily Allen went on that the powers who be opened the flood gates and let everyone waiting outside into the venue. Then the room was packed.

It wasn't as rowdy as NYC Matt & Kim shows usually are, but plenty of people in the audience were there just to see the smiling duo from Brooklyn. At least one crowd member told Matt exactly that, during one of Matt's many peppy dialogues. For "Yea Yeah", the song everyone knows from their older album, Matt had all the lights turned off and asked everyone to go even more nuts than usual (which for this show was not very nuts, though there were a few people jumping off the stage). The psychology is that if nobody can see you, you're more likely to dance. Another crowd favorite was "Daylight" off their new album Grand. Before 10, they ended their set with "Silver Tiles".

Lily Allen, backed by a full band, took the stage a little after 10:00. For the next hour she played a mix of old hits ("LDN", "Smile") and new songs. Fans were cheering and singing along to both. Lily jokingly suggested people must have been doing some illegal downloading, but she quickly followed that with a more serious "I don't care, I don't make any money off recordings". The UK celebrity's set closed with a cover of Britney Spears's "Womanizer".

Lily will be back soon, but at a much bigger venue next time. All tour dates HERE. Matt and Kim dates HERE. More pictures, and LA's setlist from the show, below...

Trouble Andrew

Trouble Andrew...

Trouble Andrew

Trouble Andrew

Trouble Andrew

Trouble Andrew

Trouble Andrew

Trouble Andrew

Trouble Andrew

Trouble Andrew

Trouble Andrew

Matt & Kim...

Lily Allen...

Lily Allen

photos from Matt and Kim's last Brooklyn show HERE.

matt and kim are better suited for TeenBeat than BV. Yawn.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 9:02 AM

awe, 9:02 it's ok. some day you'll have something important to care about. until then you can keep getting worked up about music you don't like while failing to at least appreciate the fact that other people do.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 9:11 AM

Trouble Andrew played for 15 minutes too long.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 9:28 AM

I’ve never heard a note of Lily Allen’s music (should I?) but by the looks of her, I’d hit it.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 9:36 AM

Best part of the show was TOm Yaps

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 10:07 AM

Nice crotch shots Bao!

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 10:37 AM

thanks for the crotch shots, i feel dirty now lol :(

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 10:51 AM

I'd hit Matt.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 10:53 AM

I never heard of her music either, but she's a cutie. Def hit that up, son.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 10:53 AM

Listen. I love Matt & Kim. I really do. I love To/From and I think some of the songs on Grand are the best they've ever done. I love their stage presence, their attitudes, and how they put so much work and sweat into making every live show count.

But they need to do something for the DIY community, and quickly, before they fall out of their good graces. Brooklyn shit-talk is the cheapest there is. Do a Brooklyn underground show, soon.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 11:16 AM

the DIY community? LOLOLOL Fuck you.

Posted by Caro | February 11, 2009 11:18 AM

nice shots Bao. are you holding back on any upskirt shots?

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 11:19 AM

I took a ride on the Yaps mustache train last night!

Posted by Thai Iced Tea | February 11, 2009 11:20 AM

Are you deaf? Matt & Kim are exactly what pop kids of all ages need.

Lily is looking pretty good there, I must say...

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 11:24 AM

matt & kim never have and never will forget the diy community. the success they're experiencing would have been unstoppable even if they released all their music themselves. they are contagious and get everybody stoked even if they've never heard the band before which isn't something most bands can do. of all the bands i've seen that have gotten big like this, nobody has handled it as well as they have.

Posted by david bilmas | February 11, 2009 11:30 AM

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 11:35 AM

Did you see Tom Yaps' tie last night....what fashion sense on that young man!

Posted by Moe. fan #1 | February 11, 2009 11:48 AM

oh those pumps...

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 11:51 AM

Who in the fuck is Tom Yaps?

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 12:06 PM

"Bao jumped the brooklynvegan shark on this set of pictures. Was "more skin" a condition of the photo pass?"

I think the pictures are classy and well done. Would you prefer Bao cover Lily's legs with black bars? If so, I suggest you start googling Mormon sects and find some new friends.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 12:26 PM

Lily Allen and Natasha Khan both look like little british piggy sisters.

Gross.

Matt and Kim need to vanish.

More hate coming straight to you on top of the hour.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 12:30 PM

Bao's just giving the people what they want.

Posted by Wiz | February 11, 2009 12:41 PM

Those smiling goons' songwriting would benefit from a little hate. The reflections of their fanbase in the kickdrum speaks for itself.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 12:46 PM

Guessing those were Lily Allen's fans in the reflection. Awesome photo by the way!

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 1:01 PM

damn lily allen looks smooth. i'm tryna use her legs/armpits as slip n slide

Posted by rrrrrrrrrrrrrr | February 11, 2009 1:23 PM

Guessing those were LA fans? Six of one is half dozen of the other.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 1:36 PM

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 1:46 PM

last night was fantastic, Trouble Andrew was horrid though.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 2:12 PM

i love kim's smile

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 2:24 PM

If you want to know how good the show was, look for the guy in the front with the shaved head.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 3:42 PM

when did you have to get to bowery to be able to get in?

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 3:50 PM

"ummmm... upskirts? have you never seen a woman's legs before. and yeah, thats a shadow. vaginas are not giant black blotches. at least not most of them.

that said, get the fuck out the front row and take some decent pictures. that works for two or three shots, but not every god damn one."

I only see five of those "upskirts" shots - not every single one. Great shots as always Bao.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 4:18 PM

3:50pm-
by 5:30, they were saying there were no more wristbands left.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 4:33 PM

I was no longer referring to the upskirts. I was referring to the angle. Every single one has the visual distortion of the photographer standing at her feet. She looks like an obelisk. Its like standing at the bottom of the Washington Monument looking up and taking 40 pictures from that angle. Eventually, you should take a few steps back so you can soak it the whole view.

Either youre a photographer or a fan with a camera. Photographers look for coverage, getting all the angles. Fans with cameras just suck and end up blocking the whole show with their crappy point and shoots (I know your boy Bao has a dSLR, thats not the point). If you're gonna take pictures for the whole god damn show, get the shots you need then get the fuck back, get on the balcony, do something.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 5:29 PM

Can't a photographer be a fan as well and want to stay in the front?

Looks like he quite plenty of variety of angles and shots from up there by just changing lenses.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 6:02 PM

I stand by my point.

No one wants to stand behind a "photographer" for the the whole show. Big bands normally only allow photographers to shoot up front during the sound check or for the first couple of songs. Then they go somewhere else. Not only is it considerate for everyone involved (fans, the band), but the pay off is you get more than one angle.

There are a couple good shots, but, one, editing goes a long way. I don't need to see the same shot over and over. Two, there could be a bunch more if dude went somewhere else and took some photos. Either you're a photographer or a fan with a camera, and no one likes a fan with a camera.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 6:24 PM

Exactly no one wants to stand behind a photographer so instead of annoying that one person that he was in front of the whole concert he should move around and constantly annoy a bunch of people. I've been to a lot of shows where Bao has shot and he is definitely one of the most considerate photographers out there.

"Either you're a photographer or a fan with a camera".

Lighten up. I think it's pretty silly to think that photographers can't actually be fans of the musicians they are shooting.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 6:30 PM

I know he likes the bands. Thats why he stands in the front for the entire show and gets the same shot over and over and over.

You can like the band and be a photographer. You just have to put one role aside to achieve the best results.

I'm tired of others mediocre photographers fucking with my show. And I'm tired of mediocre photographs. You have a nice camera. You're at a somewhat exclusive show. You post on a site that I've watched grow from relative obscurity to THE independent website for music. I read thread after thread and wasted my time reading ridiculous comments where people do nothing but insult each other for no particular reason. BV is now at a level that it should demand the best results. These are not the best results.

Move somewhere else, take a couple of pictures, and move on. People won't be bothered. They will forget you. But if you stand in front of someone for the entire show, they won't forget you. This goes for everyone out there who takes pictures during a live show. Your point and shoots aren't going to take a good shot. If you don't understand ISO or shutter speed, keep your god damn camera in your pocket. If you do, and you still take consistently mediocre photographs, don't quit your day job.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 7:15 PM

I don't know what the hell 7:15 is talking about. Check out Bao's website. He takes some incredible concert shots that are extremely unique and creative compared to most of the other photographers out there.

Shot of Lily's wireless mic set and the one of Kim with the crowd reflected in the kick drum are the tops.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 7:28 PM

I did check out his website. First off, the design is heinous. Who the fuck scrolls left and right. He might as well put music on the site.

More importantly, the photographs. SOME of them are good. They really are. But the key is consistency. His shots of Lily Allen are consistently mediocre.

As for your favorite shots 7:28 you're right, the one of Kim is great. The one of the wireless mic set, not so special. But again, this isn't the point. The point is, get your shots and get the fuck out. Also, and I say this most importantly, edit your fucking photographs. And sadly, this is his edit. The same shot over and over. And i really wouldn't care if he wasn't the kid who is always fucking with my show. No understanding of your role at a concert.

Either you're a photographer or a fan. Pick a side. Do your job or cheer on your favorite band. It really, really doesn't work both ways. If they are playing for just you, shoot away. But as I can barely tell from a couple of the shots, there were a few other people there. Its not all about Bao. Its also not all about BV. Its not all about me either. Find the fucking balance. Stick to it.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 7:49 PM

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 8:01 PM

I've stood behind Bao before and he constantly asked me if I could see and apologized if he ever blocked my way. I think he understands his role pretty well.

Plus I think Bao only has one leg so give him a break about moving around.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 8:02 PM

theres nothing more i love to do! i will read the BV comments until my days are dimming and i finally rest. thank you anonymous.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 8:33 PM

"Matt & Kim started at 9PM and played to an enthusiastic, but not full, room. It wasn't until Lily Allen went on that the powers who be opened the flood gates and let everyone waiting outside into the venue. Then the room was packed."

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 8:34 PM

"i was there, and this statement is bullshit!... there was a huge line of kids waiting outside during the day... then the Bowery started letting folks into the basement bar at about 7pm... when Matt & Kim went on at 9pm, the room WAS only 2/3 full... but there was almost nobody in the basement bar (maybe 12 people)... and there was nobody waiting outside... the people that came later were probably just VIP folks who were ONLY coming for Lily Allen's set... like record label folks and such... so don't blame the venue for not letting people in on time... the hardcores who waited in line were probably in line all day waiting for Matt & Kim... I could tell they did have a big fanbase at the show... but the people who came later, were probably industry types who were only interested in seeing Lily Allen."

not true. At 9pm there was a huge standby line outside the venue. they were all let in at 10.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 8:43 PM

I don't know why my last comment did not post but seriously, back off.

Someone can be a fan and a photographer. I do not understand how you can say PICK ONE. That is ridiculous.

Basically what my comment said was there are tons of inconsiderate and unprofessional photographers out there that give a bad name to the ones that actually make it a POINT to be polite and as invisible as they possibly can be. Bao, myself, and many other photographers I've had the pleasure of working with all understand this concept that a photographer is not there to be A PART of the show.

You seem to be so concerned with the fact that ONCE he seems to have similar photos in one post. Why concern yourself with something so insignificant to the whole of the post? Why don't you look at the photos that are serious quality photographs?

Calm down, back off.

Posted by Leia Jospe | February 11, 2009 9:24 PM

I think it's funny that you're criticizing him for doing the same thing over and over and then go and criticize him for trying something different in web design. I don't know how you read but when I read text I scroll left to right.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 10:15 PM

THE INTER NET IS SERIOUS BUS NESS

Posted by ryan | February 11, 2009 10:23 PM

"the most annoying aspects of shows in 2009 is that everyone and their mother is a blog photographer. sort of similar to how you now can get an advance degree from an on-line university. faux credibility for a faux scene."

Yeah looks like Bao has shot for some pretty shitty blogs like Vogue, the New York Times, and Rolling Stone. Plus pretty sure blogs and all things Internet are going downhill pretty soon.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 11:00 PM

poor Bao

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 12:18 AM

Quite possibly one of the worst shows I have ever seen, especially Matt & Kim. Lilly Allen needs to grow up. She looks and sounds like an idiot. Agree about all the cameras(+cell phones + blackberrys) at shows these days - ban them all except the professionals! Or at least say shoot away for the 1st 2 songs then no more pics!

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 12:19 AM

Will someone please insult MY photography!?? Bao is so many millions times better than I am.

wtf

Posted by Lori | February 12, 2009 5:00 AM

One such photographer did that to me at this very show. When I politely asked her to photograph without shoving us too much and pushing in front, she refused, saying that she had a 'job to do'. I told her that we'd been there since 11am to get a decent position by the stage, but according to her there was no way that was possible since they only started letting people in at 7pm. She ended up spending the rest of the show elbowing us, complaining about all the 'kids' at the show, talking constantly, expressing that she loves Lily Allen SO SO SO MUCH and singing along loudly and horribly off-key in everyone's ears. Oh, and getting angry at fans in front of her who occasionally take out their point-and-shoot just to surreptitiously shoot a momentum of the show.

Whatever, I hope she chokes on a big fat hairy dick sometime soon. And if she's reading this: yeah, choke on a dick, b*tch.

Of course the line between fan and photographer doesn't always have to cross that way - this was an individual example of a shitty human being. In Bao's case, the shots are great. Lily Allen complained about how short her dress was, so of course that's going to be reflected in the photographs. And what kind of photographer who's actually a decent person is going to move around taking shots from different parts of the room of an at-capacity show?

The photographers usually take some great shots of shows not everyone's as privileged as you trust fund dipshits to go see. Yeah, they're most often are fans of the music, or live music in general, but that's the way it freaking should be. The subjectivity of the photographer is was makes these shots.

On the other hand, feel free to hate on the talentless, dipshit so-called 'photographers' who take hundreds of photos in the hope that one or two are ok, just to score a press pass/ease the pain of nobody loving them in middle school. Next time I see that bitch or someone who acts like her, I might accidentally smash their camera.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 5:01 AM

"Also, and I say this most importantly, edit your fucking photographs. And sadly, this is his edit."

Since you say you've been following BrooklynVegan from relative obscurity to now you might have noticed that Kyle NOT Bao is the Photo Editor so if you are criticizing someone about the edit criticize Kyle. Well actually don't criticize Kyle. If you know anything about concert photography then you know that the lighting constantly changes and that this is much more important than angles. These photos may be shot from similar angles but the lighting changes along with Lily's expression makes each photo unique. Looks like she was using a wireless mic too so she was probably moving around all over so it wasn't necessary for Bao to move all over the place. It was probably a pretty packed show too and it's pretty difficult to move around sometimes without being a total douche. I could understand if it was musician who stood idle the whole concert - those shots would kinda be boring from one angle but look at the Matt and Kim photos. They don't move around at all and those shots are pretty great considering he shot them from "one angle".

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 8:39 AM

photographers are hanger-ons to the scene and always have been. makes them feel essential to the show, when the reality is their "work" only helps people at home in their underwear see what happened at the show. they are only a step away from those fools who use their cell-phones to capture the moment . . . ugh!!

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 8:41 AM

People like me who sit at home in their underwear appreciate photographers much more than cell phone people.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 8:45 AM

well people like me, who go to many many shows every week, do not.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 9:12 AM

"well people like me, who go to many many shows every week, do not."

Instead of complaining anonymously maybe you should go up and tell them at a show. They don't bite. Unless of course you give them reason to.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 9:18 AM

"I have seen a lot of photographers at shows hammer fans out of the way to clamor to the front - fans who have been waiting in line or actually PAID to see a show (no press passes for us regular folk!) just because they "have a job to do"."

Perfect discription of a "professional", I would rather have the amateur fan photographers (im talking about Lori, Leia, Bao and Kyle and few others) who are always more considerate than the professionals who get their pics bought by NY Times. Back in the day when NY Times music section was just about the only place to see concert photos, there was a professional photographer who was the most inconsiderate type, I mean pushing through the crowd elbowing people, getting up on the stage or those steps in the barrier giving no second thought that he might be blocking someone's view out of the way because he "had a job to do". You guys who've been following the music scene for more than 3 or 4 years Im sure you know who I'm talking about, if not by name than by sight...

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 9:39 AM

i'm guessing that this guy's initials RS?

as a concert photographer who understands the precarious balance between getting good shots @ a small club w/ no photo pit and being as unobstrusive as possible, this has been an interesting thread to follow.

Posted by tim | February 12, 2009 9:53 AM

Are you guys out of your minds? Type in 'Bao Nguyen' into the BV search engine and look at his body of work. The guy's done absolutely nothing but take terrific photos for this site for countless shows. Solid composition, treatment, angle, etc. To this layman, he has a great eye. And you frustrated twats are going to pounce on him for what you perceive to be a sub-par performance? Astonishing how anonymity brings out the absolute pettiest in people.

As for photographers at shows, obviously they can sometimes interfere. We've all been at shows where they're taking away from our focus on the music with their inconsiderate shoves, etc. And we've all been at shows where photographers, by profession or avocation, are there to both love the music AND document it tastefully -- without bothering us. By all accounts Bao falls into the latter camp.

What a bunch of children you guys are, fuck's sake.

Posted by s.kid | February 12, 2009 9:56 AM

i've been to way more shows where obnoxious paying fans have ruined the experience for me rather than a photographer with a camera.

Posted by jason | February 12, 2009 10:04 AM

Thought I would throw in my two cents here.

I understand the criticism about one angle and had those concerns when I took that spot at the concert. In defense of myself, I am a pretty short guy so when I have a good line of sight I tend to stay there especially when I know the performer is going to move around a lot like in the case of this performance. I really don't enjoy standing on my tippy toes and raising my camera to get a clear shot. Plus it was EXTREMELY crowded up front, I had left my bag on the floor and in the shuffle of Matt and Kim had moved around enough where it was no longer at my feet. I wasn't able to find it in between sets because it was so crowded so I wanted to stay in the general vicinity of my bag. I didn't want to risk losing it by moving around and possibly having someone snagging it when the lights went up. So that's my justification for not moving around at this concert. That and the one leg situation.

Thank you all for the comments - both the negative and positive ones. I think negative but also constructive criticism of the photos are important. As Arthur Symons wrote, "What we ask of [the critic] is that he should find out for us more than we can find out for ourselves."

By the way, if I am ever rude at a concert or being annoying, feel free to smash my camera.

Posted by Bao | February 12, 2009 10:33 AM

tim- yes, as a matter of fact RS are his initials.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 11:14 AM

Yeah on top of being an awful actor, Rob Schneider is a huge douche bag at concerts.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 11:25 AM

I think BV should change its name to SDP---Society for the Defense of Photographers. Talk about defensive . . .

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 11:53 AM

@ anon 5:01 what did the female photographer look like? i think i know who you're talking about

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 11:59 AM

Rahav??????

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 12:01 PM

Alright...so I'm the original commenter and I haven't said anything since last night. I thought I would let this one breathe a little bit and it has.

Bao, I'm glad you said something. Your situation at the show sounds unique. It definitely is crazy in the front of any venue, especially at a packed show like this. Your problem with your bag explains a lot and it says a lot that you held your tongue for this long and that you managed to keep your cool when your bag was floating around the crowd.

That said, my criticism began as a critique of the similar angle of all the posted shots (which has since been explained by Bao) and evolved into a criticism of photographers who do not know their boundaries at a concert. This was not directed at Bao. I don't know the man and after reading other commenters support, and his comment, he seems quite plesant.

I still stand by my point that there is no reason for anyone, a professional photographer or the excited fan, to take pictures for the entire performance. Its inconsiderate, selfish, and most importantly, totally fucking lame. If I was in a band, I'd rather have people rocking the fuck out. When someone takes pictures throughout the duration of the show, it not only is distracting to the people around them, but it just shows that you aren't really letting yourself get into the music (this is directed at fans, not professional photographers). There are plenty of places to find good photos, and really, i don't understand the need to have photos (from a fan's perspective)from a concert. When do you look at them? Do you pull them up on iPhoto while listening to their album? Do you show them to your friends? I can guarantee that they don't really care.

Anonymity did not fuel this argument at all. I can tell that there are other people that have similar feelings about too many photographers at shows who don't know when to stop. I've had to ask people to put down their fucking blackberries more times than I can count. I am a photographer and I don't take concert photos. It's hard as shit, I know. I have a problem distancing myself from the shows I want to go to enough to be able to get the proper shots. I would rather enjoy the show than feel like I'm working. That's just me. I'm glad that there are people like Bao taking photos for my enjoyment.

As for the commenter who spoke of Kyle the photo editor, you're right. It should have been Kyle I was directing my criticisms towards. I didn't know, or bother to look, that BV has a photo editor. I'm impressed. It also illustrates my point that this site is now something major and should take this into consideration. We don't need a lot of photos of the same thing. I doubt that Bao would put all of these shots in his portfolio, and to me, that says something.

If you want to criticize my photos, go for it. Like I said, anonymity was not my motivation. I agree with Bao when he said "I think negative but also constructive criticism of the photos are important." One of my projects right now is to document the people of Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I have lived there for 5 years and seen it change a lot. I'm also tired of people commenting on sites like BV, and Gothamist, about all the trust fund hipsters that make up Williamsburg. I don't know a single trust fund kid who lives out there. I know they exist, but they certainly aren't the majority. So check out the site. Tear up the photos. Do what you will. In the meantime, Bao, and other BV photographers, keep up the good work. I'm just peeved about people who don't understand their impact on other people at a show. This might have been the only show that fully illustrated my feelings due to the similar nature of the shots, which has since been explained.

www.famefamefame.blogspot.com

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 12:14 PM

marry me, bao.

Posted by myhipsdontlie | February 12, 2009 12:25 PM

11:59 - short, chubby, blonde bitch with glasses. I'd seen her at a few shows before.

Bao - If I ever see anyone smashing your stuff, at a show, I'll smash them.

12:14 - I like seeing shots of photos I've gone to the next day, whether on BV or Flickr or whatever. If you choose not to take photos at shows that's your choice. I agree that it takes away some of the enjoyment of the show, which is why I don't bring in a camera at all, but I think these guys do a pretty damn fine job all up.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 1:11 PM

Yeah please consider that most of us that shoot for BV are all very considerate people. We're fans too. If there isn't a photo pit, we show up just as early as everyone else to claim our spot.

Also even if it is a "job" concert photography is FUN. I think I speak for all of us when I say we find it more fun than "work." I mean, there are a LOT of jobs out there that pay more than what concert photography does, yet we choose to do this. There has to be a little bit of passion if that's the case, right? We get to see the bands we like and we get to document their performances.

If there is no photo pit, of course we're going to take pictures more than if there was, but I know I only use my camera when I feel there's going to be a good shot...the rest of the time is spent "rocking out."

It just sucks that there are some really unprofessional people out there that give everyone else a bad name. When I shot Passion Pit at Bowery Ballroom the other night there was a guy trying to pay his way to the front row offering everyone $5 if they let him in front of him...and then complaining when they said no. His justification to me was "we both have cameras in our hands..."

Yeah, that may be the case but I'm not a douche. kbye.

Posted by Leia Jospe | February 12, 2009 2:15 PM

<3 Bao

Let's turn this one back into a Matt & Kim /sold out!/didn't sell out!/maybe sold out?/can't sell out?/should sell out!/obvs sold out!?/ discussion.

(Allow me)

-Upon viewing this advertisement, I feel the sudden, unmistakable urge to nourish myself with that competitively-priced 'Colt 45' beverage.

-I will additionally travel to my nearby 'bodega convenience store' in my faded vintage 'Converse'-brand sneaker apparel to complete the aforementioned transaction.

(However, I do risk the chance of the elderly Hispanic gentleman who operates said bodega channeling his uncontrollable resentment (due to his 'diminished perspective' resulting in a consequential inability to detect and appreciate my 'post-ironic' choice of residence as an affluent Caucasian trust-fund recipient in his struggling Buschwick neighborhood/slum) into a refusal to serve, even though I 'forgot my id at home and don't feel like walking', elegantly disregarding my obvious status as what society traditionally labels a 'minor'.)

-In case of actualization of this grim possibility, I likely will alter my desired purchase to the nearby 'Mountain Dew'-brand soft-drink beverage, conveniently distributed for 'all-ages' consumption upon standardized monetary transaction.

After all, my favorite band, Matt & Kim, of whom I have previously purchased all available music products, clothing, and related merchandise, is totally stoked about them (I hear).

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 2:31 PM

You spelled Bushwick wrong

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 2:46 PM

Guy with the "fame" photo blog should hire Bao to teach him how to actually, you know, take photographs.

Posted by Anonymous | February 12, 2009 2:54 PM

The guy's got one leg, I mean come on, have a little class.

Posted by NP | February 12, 2009 3:26 PM

2:31,

Case in point that M and K are anything but underground. They are, as I stated many moons ago, for the pre-teen set. Their smiles, "good times" and live "spontaneity" all smack of a very constructed performance. Unfortunately, their theatre doesn't stretch beyond their own narrow self-interest (well, let's begin w/ their "band" name).

Theme tour of "Pop Music" for the uninformed alien: to the left, we have Britney Spears, who uses sex appeal and faux innocence to entice and stimulate the masses. To the right Matt and Kim, who use sincerity and an everyday persona to appeal to those naive enough to think it the real deal. The only thing missing from their "house" shows in Brooklyn is a Mountain Dew truck and folks handing out cards for free Sprint phones.

At least Spears is honest about her aspirations . . .

Yeah, yeah.