Posted in metal | music | pictures on February 2, 2009

photos by Eric M. Townsend, word by Black Bubblegum

Metallica

Metallica played three NYC area shows in a row this past weekend, the final stops on their Death Magnetic US tour including Nassau Coliseum on 1/29 and a two night stay at the Prudential Center in beautiful Newark, NJ (on 1/31 and 2/1, the latter coinciding with the Superbowl). Machine Head and The Sword supported on all three nights, with The Sword adding a show at Bowery Ballroom on 1/30. The Metallica pics are from 1/31, I attended the 2/1 show.

I headed into the doors of the Prudential Center right around 6:45, settling into my GA "seats" (the floor) a few moments before The Sword hit the stage. My early arrival gave me a few moments to thoroughly inspect the unique "in the round" set-up. Placed in the center of the arena floor, with six mics positioned at various parts of the stage, members of the band were within ten feet of me at times, and on the opposite side at others. Overhead, seven sheet metal "coffins" the size of a Cadillacs containing lighting rigs and lasers rotated up and down and in a circular motion. On stage, located behind a short wall of amps was a line of pyro.... I guess James didn't learn his lesson? Later on, we would learn that Lars Ulrich's kit was also on a swivel. Low-budget, this show was not.

The Sword took the stage at 7PM, playing a shortened 25+ minute set and drawing from both of their Kemado releases. The Austin crew were simple and effective and it was truly surreal to see the band on THAT stage as opposed to the last time I saw them (Bowery Ballroom in 2007).

Machine Head were next, and even if I wanted to hear them (I didn't), I wouldn't have been able to. The mix was absolutely abhorrent, and if it wasn't for the metal-requisite whammy pedal, I probably wouldnt have been able to hear ANY guitars. My life-long Metallica fan friend commented:

"Those dudes are straight up corny".

Mostly. That said, the masses in Affliction/Don Ed Hardy tees, mohawks, and mock wallet chains were contented. Thankfully, guitarist/vocalist Rob Flynn is a good showman, spraying water about and leading the crowd in chants of "Ma-sheen-head" and "Machine-fuckin-head". At least he, unlike the music, held my interest.

Metallica took the stage a shade after 9PM, emerging with their usual intro music, "The Ecstasy of Gold" from Ennio Morricone's The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly soundtrack. Kicking off with "That Was Just Your Life" from the new LP, Death Magnetic, the band was accompanied a laser-light show of epic proportions.... Daft Punk is jealous. Although the concentration was on Death Magnetic material (six songs in total), the band did dip into the classics ("Master of Puppets, "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)", "Blackened", Seek & Destroy"), the records that propelled them to the top ("Enter Sandman", "Nothing Else Matters"), and deeper fan favorites (a cover of "Die Die My Darling" by the Misfits, "Breadfan" by Budgie) over the course of the evening.

As a fan of the Cliff Burton & Justice era of Metallica, I would say this show was alot like a Jerry Bruckheimer film: loud, lots of explosions, an obscene amount of special effects, a little something for everyone, a touch on the dumb side, but big time entertainment.

More pictures from 1/31 and setlists for all three shows below...

Note the "Coffins"

Enter Sandman
Die Die My Darling
Breadfan
Seek and Destroy

they used to crush it.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 4:13 PM

When did "lasers" become all the rage again? I'm off to go see a re-make of Captain E.O. now...

Posted by Brad | February 2, 2009 4:16 PM

These guys are gay...

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 4:19 PM

Someone should of thrown a tennis racket at that whiney european dweeb!

What a bunch of washed-up tools.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 4:19 PM

anybody get pissed on?

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 4:31 PM

looking at the setlists I wish I went all three nights. Master of Puppets night one was fucking amazing. this is coming from someone who first saw them in 1986 or 87 at Felt Forum, first show after Cliff died (too young to go before that).

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 4:32 PM

Battery on night two, Die Die My Darling night 3.

I think the only thing an old fan could ask for that they didnt play was Am I Evil. Still amazing though. I got good vid of entire night one, watching it I get goosebumps.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 4:36 PM

...And Justice For All on 1/31 was a huge surprise for me. I don't know when the last time they played that was. Not to mention Hit The Lights.

Ride The Lightning into For Whom The Bell Tolls into One was absolutely insane. As was Master Of Puppets Into Battery.

Plus the new material sounded great as well. A great show all around.

Posted by BK | February 2, 2009 4:36 PM

I totally agree with the review. thumbs up for the Sword, thumbs down for Machinehead, and thumbs back up for Metallica. Even though Lars ticks me off, the rest of the band was great and seemed like they were having fun on stage, which wins me over every time. It was a fun show and a nice change of pace from going to shows in basements and lofts.
More photos are on the BITPOM site:

Posted by Michelle | February 2, 2009 4:39 PM

Yeah you right new material did sound great I actually went out and bought the new album based on what I heard at the shows.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 4:40 PM

Hey Trujillo, nice tube socks!

*runs*

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 4:44 PM

I was there last night and it was a great show. Lars is a fucking lunatic. He was spitting water on people and parading around like he was a WWE superstar. I was in the GA and it was crazy close. 10 feet away was a good estimate of how close the band was to the crowd. A huge pit broke out right at the start and keep going the whole show. Personally, I think those guys are fucking losers. The looked like a bunch of faggots. Overall, Metallica ripped it and can't wait to see them at the garden in November.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 4:47 PM

I love the comments on here. You bunch of idiots. People who saw them back in the "days of glory" i keep seeing them say that the shows of the last week are some of the best they have EVER seen.

Know what you are talking about before you just blurt out they suck. or they are washed up.

Posted by metfuel | February 2, 2009 4:57 PM

I was at Nassau and loved it. They seemed to have a renewed sense of energy and everyone in the crowd ate it all up. I had a smile on from the beginning to the end.....thats' what shows are supposed to be right? FUN!

Metallica rules.

Though I will say 40 dollar tshirts dont rule!

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 4:58 PM

guys it should be mentioned after the show at nassau they must have spent 20 minutes throwing all sorts of stuff into the audience, picks, drumsticks etc waving to people and saying hello, it was a genuine feel good moment, it was fucking awesome, I cant think of any other band that does this. this is how you win and keep fans coming back.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 5:02 PM

They did that last night, too. They really seem to love performing and their fans. That is such a rarity. I knew I was watching legends last night.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 5:04 PM

I was at first night of Newark and yes it was amazing.

I just think it needs to be added that Machine Head BUTCHERED Iron Maiden's Hallowed Be Thy Name. From the off-key vocals to the unforgivable sloppiness to the screwing up of the harmonies it was an all around disaster.

I heard this cover on the Kerrang Maiden Heaven tribute and thought it was fine but live it was simply shameful. If you can't play the classics, then DON'T. Jeez....

Posted by noamjamski | February 2, 2009 5:17 PM

My first concert ever was Metallica in 1989. Sat night in Newark, 20 yrs later, was pretty fucking good in comparison. They are tight as shit right now, and bring 110% energy. Really appreciate the fans, and aren't afraid to say it and show it. Say what you want about them, but you are sorely mistaken if you think they "suck" or are "washed up." I still can't believe they encored with Hit the Lights (and Blitzkrieg)!!

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 5:18 PM

"My first concert ever was Metallica in 1989"

Was the Cult or Queensryche opening? They came into town twice in 1989.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 5:30 PM

I was there last night. Outstanding. I've been going to Metallica shows more than half my life and they never disappoint. The new stuff sounded great. I'm a little jealous that Nassau got Damage Inc, though.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 5:38 PM

"Was the Cult or Queensryche opening? They came into town twice in 1989."

Queensryche

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 5:41 PM

It looked fun, but the Superbowl was so much better.

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 6:51 PM

I was at the Feb 1 show and it was impressive.

I'm a long time fan but this was my first time seeing Metallica in concert. I wish they played more older material, but the new songs were sick live.

I have a lot more respect for this band than ever before. They put on a very high-energy, technical performance that lasted 2+ hours. It's hard to believe they are all in their 40s

Posted by Burtis | February 2, 2009 7:39 PM

"Overall, Metallica ripped it and can't wait to see them at the garden in November."

MSG in November would be amazing. Haven't seen Metallica there since the S&M concert, & I always wondered why they don't play there more often?

By the way, I saw them in Boston 2 weeks ago, & they tore it up!

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 7:43 PM

Metallica, LOL

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 8:11 PM

anon-8:11-lol

Posted by Anonymous | February 2, 2009 9:08 PM

haters and nay-sayers be warned. metallica is incredibly amazing right now, and i am as critical about live rock concerts as any of the most critical. they are playing with a kind of vengeance that i have never seen from any band, ever. the lasers and everything are great, but it is the music that counts, and they are delivering 110% on that. hetfield, in particular, is in top form, playing rhythm guitar and roaring like the all powerful messiah of metal. hammett, trujillo, and ulrich are right on the point musically. i have seen several metallica concerts since the 80's over the past 20+ years and this is the best they have been since the damaged justice tour. they are playing "old school" like they haven't done since the 80's. again, haters and naysayers have been warned, metallica is back with a vengeance, and it sure feels good to be there with them.

Posted by metaldog | February 3, 2009 12:44 AM

i got tickets day of the show when they released and to be honest i went in as a sceptic or out of curiosity, joking with my friends that i was just going to boo Lars. Walked away amazed. James Hetfield has to be one of the best if not the best frontman in rock music (whatever that NY Times journalist wrote, I think he's nuts).

Also I was also there at Felt Forum when Flotsam and Jetsam opened (first show with Newstead), at Giant Stadium for monsters of rock, I think it was when they were like second or third band on bill headlined by Van Halen, and then at Nassau when Queensryche opened for them. After Black album was released I lost interest because I hated that album.

but yeah like the guy above me said, Metallica are back with a vengeance, at least live.

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2009 1:12 AM

saw 'em at Nassau. we were in the suite and still headbanging along, airguitaring and joining the chorus of delighted fans. tight show (except for, yes, Machinehead)

Posted by Anonymous | February 3, 2009 7:20 AM

Hey metallica whts up?
I was just looking at yallz pics and they are so freakin awesome i swear lol but like i said yall are so cool.

Posted by Hannah martin | February 3, 2009 10:46 AM

I was there for the 1/31 show......it was freakin awesome....I never thought they would play ride the lightning and and justice for all. Blew my mind when that hit. They didnt miss a beat and they are FAR from washed up.

As someone mentioned...they stayed back a cool 20 mins after the show...for pics and stuff. Also, they had Metallica balloons falling from the roof for the last song (seek and destroy) and they were kicking/punting those to the audience. Hetfield and Trujillo were clowning around like soccer players after the show.

Lastly, I had heard that metallica had a very strict "no camera" policy and hetfield in particular hated it. Well, from what I saw anyways, that is a whole lot of bull. There were a 100 flashes going off every minute or so. A friend and I even went all the way to the front at the end to get pics with the band clowning around behind us.

Posted by Srik | February 3, 2009 2:04 PM

But the NEW Album STILL Bites the Big One!!
After I saw Nassau show I Listened to the NEW studio Tracks Off U-TUBE and Realized That the BLACK Album NOW Rocks compared to this "NEW SHIT"
Garage Days & Justice STILL Tops in My Book!!
NOW the Songs on "BLACK" Album Don't Sound SO-BAD
As for JAMES: He SOBERED-UP Big Time!! and seems REAL Enthusiastic & ON POINT and has Comradery w/rest of Band(LARS). Hammet STILL Prances Around On-Stage Like a BITCH!! And Trujillo Killed It Like FLEA Would Have.....
Stand-Out Songs were: The Thing... & DAMAGE
And On 1/31 were:Ride The...& Justice & Blitzkrg
WHO is Opening for the MSG shows??
AND Whatever happened to Felt Forum & Newsted?

Posted by Kristina VonQ | February 3, 2009 9:45 PM

I got killem all 1983 Ive seen them 5 times between Ft.Wayne and Memphis Every show was great every album was great If you dont like them fuck you and leave the immediate area

Posted by scott eggleston | February 6, 2009 11:20 AM

i saw them on sunday 2/1 if you think the superbowl was better than that go get a psychiatrist haha what a loser!!

Posted by art wolf | February 9, 2009 10:22 PM

Metallica kicks ass. I went to the show in Chicago on January 26. Amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | February 11, 2009 9:09 PM

Did anyone get a picture of rob when he was spinning during seek and destroy???

Posted by Anonymous | May 9, 2009 11:25 PM

I was at Uniondale and both nights in Newark. I'm also seeing them in Albany and both nights in New York City.
Up yours Metallica haters!

Posted by Nick | June 6, 2009 10:12 AM

METALLICA ROCK THEY ARE THE BEST BAND

Posted by Liem Dang | June 15, 2009 1:14 AM

Did anyone get a picture of rob when he was spinning during seek and destroy???

Posted by replica Burberry Handbags | October 16, 2009 2:44 AM