Posted in metal | music | tour dates on February 27, 2009

Scion

2/27/09 - Chicago, IL:
Nachtmystium has sad news today with a once-again recurring issue surfacing from the wake of our past. We've been forced, at the request of the promoters and the folks at Scion / Toyota, to pull out of the Scion Rock Festival, scheduled for Saturday, February 28th. This news came to us just this past Tuesday and was very disheartening to say the least. A troubling, and unjustly-applied notion that we are, or ever have been, in any way, a "Nazi" band or a political band on any level, is completely absurd and we are disgusted that there is someone out there who really believes we are of this ilk. It made it as far as the sponsors of this events desks, and now we are forced to pull out of it after some political threatening on the part of these ridiculously uneducated person/people who have caused this ruckus.
Nachtmystium's statement continued below...

Nachtmystium

We'd like to make light of at least one aspect of this situation and use the opportunity to once again clear the air - we are, IN NO WAY, a Nazi' band. We do NOT support such groups, political beliefs or bands that are affiliated with that world. We have canceled tours in the past and dodged working with bands and people BECAUSE they had these ideologies and we never wanted to be affiliated with it. Yet, here we are, a metal band who's members are more like hippies than your typical leather-clad metal maniacs, and we're being falsely accused of this
association once again.

We will be taking legal action against the people who slandered us in this situation, and in the future will file defamation / slander charges against any person or organization who attempts to prevent us from performing anywhere, especially in the United States. We are as offended by this as someone might be at the notion of a Nazi band playing a big corporate-sponsored festival. So - let it be known loud and clear for the LAST TIME, we ARE NOT a Nazi band, ARE NOT political, are certainly NOT racists and DO NOT support that world or any band, person or business affiliated with it.

My deepest apologies to all of our friends, fans and people who have worked on and supported us being a part of this festival, we are sorry for these awful circumstances and you can be certain this will not defeat us.
Blake Judd / Nachtmystium

I've always thought it was weird - maybe awesome (well I mean as "awesome" as corporate sponsorship can get) that Toyota has decided to align itself with, and support, metal so much. If you haven't noticed, in addition to putting on the amazing festival in Georgia this weekend, Scion also sponsors the new monthly Show No Mercry party at Public Assembly (that Nachtmystium played once), and they sponsored the Nachtmystium show at Knitting Factory in LA in October, and they were the ones responsible for the free Motorhead show at SXSW last year. In fact....

A Motorhead Scion (@ SXSW, March 2008)
Motorhead

Lucky for Motorhead frontman Lemmy, Scion never found out about his (unfortunate) "Nazi collection"...

Speaking to the New York Waste web site, Lemmy stated about his Nazi collection, "I don't only collect Nazi stuff, I collect objects from all the 'axis countries.' Also from countries who aren't even mentioned anymore as former part of the axis. Like Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Finland, Hungary. OK, in the end, they all said, 'We're no Nazis' when they saw that the Germans [who charged Lemmy with a crime] were losing it. But five years before that, they went, 'Yeah!'" [Blabbermouth, July 2008]
Lemmy went on to say "Don't tell me, I'm a Nazi 'cause I have uniforms. In 1967 I had my first black girlfriend and a lot of more ever since then. I just don't understand racism, I never thought it was an option."...

Here is what Saturday's Scion schedule looks/looked like:

3:55pm-4:40pm A Storm Of Light
5:00pm-5:45pm Harvey Milk
6:05pm-6:50pm Rwake
7:20pm-8:05pm Tyr
8:45pm-9:30pm Coalesce
10:00pm-11:00pm Zoroaster

Got to admit, these allegations are pretty fucking ridiculous.

Posted by adam | February 27, 2009 11:55 PM

From the Wikipedia article about the band:

"Kuma's Corner, a heavy metal-themed restaurant in Chicago, named their May 2008 special after Nachtmystium."

I bet BV thinks it looks like PURE EVIL!

Posted by Yum! | February 28, 2009 12:13 AM

oh my god, that outdoor stage lineup is ridiculous.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 12:13 AM

Boris will own.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 12:34 AM

it has to do with their first label : Vinland Winds

A newspaper reporter once asked the owner of Vinland Winds, a man who identifies himself as "Grimnir Wotansvolk," to explain his vision for the future.

"Easy," Grimnir replied. "We would export all the niggers, Jews and newspaper reporters back to a little town called Tel Aviv, where they would be forced to toss Ariel Sharon's salad."

Based in New York, Vinland Winds mostly sells CDs by National Socialist Black Metal bands, many of them European. It also has collaborated with other music labels, including the National Alliance-owned NSBM label Unholy Records, to produce original recordings from bands like the black metal group Grom.

The Vinland Winds Web page, which features drawings of Celtic warriors brandishing swords, links to a site dedicated to freeing convicted German neo-Nazi child-murderer Hendrik Möbus

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 2:04 AM

is trash talk still playing??? i heard dude in band gothurt or sumthin

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 9:30 AM

am i wrong or did law & order do an episode about vinland winds?

in any case, has nachtmystium ever specifically addressed their connection to the label? instead of the vague message above?

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 9:32 AM

nazi losers

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 10:19 AM

"Fucking thing sucks!"

...still wish I was going.

Posted by Nate | February 28, 2009 10:33 AM

Black metal bands with dubious politics + weasel-y 'we're not political' denials?

Shocking!

The auto industry supporting outright fascists and exploiting subcultures in their neverending quest for even more money?

Unbelievable!

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 10:51 AM

Harvey Milk?!!? His zombie?

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 11:15 AM

@9:32

I think that law and order ep was actually about Resistance Records

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 11:44 AM

What's wrong with a little Nazism here and there? In small doses its cute.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 12:00 PM

fuck yeah for Boris and Torche. As for Anon 12:00, that's why Ian MacKaye smokes weed now.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 1:29 PM

Nien! Nien! Nien! Nien!

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 2:04 PM

If Nachtmystium worked with Vinland Winds Records than they are fucking Nazis. They had to have known what the label was about. Who cares is they "say" they are not political. Anyone in their right mind would not work with a label like that if they truly believe what they are saying now.
Fuck them... I won't be going to any Nachtmystium shows.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 3:13 PM

"What's wrong with a little Nazism here and there? In small doses its cute."

LOL

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 3:42 PM

Vinland Winds + then Unholy Records.That's like a racist rock doubleheader. Can't make the same mistake twice and not get called on it.

BTW, 11:44= Unholy is a subsidiary of Resistance Records.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 4:20 PM

This is from a Decibel Magazine article cited by the Wikipedia article about the band:

To this end, Winter is also the label manager of Unholy Records, an NSBM subsidiary of Resistance that released a double-disc Burzum tribute album in 2002 ("Visions: A Tribute to Burzum"), Nocturnal Fear’s "Sterilize and Exterminate" and Nachtmystium’s "Reign of the Malicious." Though the presence of the latter on an NSBM label may surprise many of the band’s more recent fans, it is important to note that Nachtmystium has always been an apolitical band, and guitarist/vocalist Blake J. (AKA Azentrius)’s more recent musical endeavors—specifically with black metal supergroup Twilight and his own label, Battle Kommand—are not even remotely affiliated with National Socialism or White Power. “In the past, we’ve had some indirect ties to labels and bands that are part of the NS scene,” Azentrius concedes. “At one point not too many years ago, it wasn’t uncommon for NS labels or bands to trade and work with non-politically motivated bands and labels because at the end of the day, we’re all trying to promote, release, and be involved with music—all politics aside. Today it seems like there’s less of a connection, at least for me and my label. We don’t oppose people’s right to be ‘NS’ or whatever—that’s a personal choice, and if you live in the USA, you have the right to that opinion. Even though I personally, my band(s) and my label have absolutely no interest in being a part of that scene, I will ALWAYS take their side when it comes to their freedom of speech being imposed upon.”

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 8:51 PM

If you work with Nazis... you support Nazis. Plain and simple. Saying that you support their right to free speech (which I do as well) is a LOT different than signing a contract to have them release your records.
Any reasonable person would support the label operator's first ammendment rights. Having said that, any reasonable person would stay as far away from them as possible. Fuck Nachmystium and their "oh... we're not political" bullshit.

Posted by Anonymous | February 28, 2009 11:51 PM

nazis are always denying they're nazis...

the funny thing is, if the actual, historical nazis ever saw this band, they would've declared them "decadent, long-haired sissies." the nazis were more fond of tight trousers and butch haircuts.

Posted by eva braun | March 1, 2009 12:11 AM

Are you sure scion cancelled them because of the Nazi reference, rather than the fact that they probably just suck as a band and can't draw a crowd to save their lives? LOL

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2009 4:04 AM

Re: Harvey Milk is a deep Sludge Metal band from Athens, GA. They've been around in more or less the same lineup for, like, 13 years. And they're amazing, actually

Posted by Geoff | March 1, 2009 11:25 AM

while the scion sounds like it would be an awesome name for one of the aforementioned canonized nordic variety metal bands listed above, it is a ridiculous car, prone to eliciting massive fits of laughter whenever i see someone driving one.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2009 1:18 PM

the posters on BV who call these guys Nazis are the first ones in line for a show by krs-one, mos def, or any of the blatantly violent homophobic dancehall outfits that get gigs in this oh-so open-minded city?

Typical!

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2009 4:01 PM

anon 4:01- I called them Nazis... because they are. I fucking hate all of the acts that you mentioned.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2009 5:16 PM

So, they're guilty by association?

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2009 6:04 PM

yes. If you are on a nazi record label... then you support nazism.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2009 6:28 PM

this is so sad...you all need to grow up.

Posted by Anonymous | March 1, 2009 8:35 PM

after reading the mushy and evasive statement from the band, then the quote from Decibel about "the NS scene," it seems clear this band is "soft on Nazism."

if they had any non-Nazi friends, they could maybe get some advice on how not to communicate with non-Nazis. Claiming "We're not political" over and over isn't even a good start.

also, maybe they should hire an actual English speaker to write their press releases.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 2:14 PM

Nachtmystium are clearly a Nazi-affiliated band, whoever spent some time in the black metal underground knows this. You either avoid these people (the NS "scene") completely or you're with them, there's no middle ground. And this is not a case of drinking some beers together at a fest, this is about directly collaborating with and therefore financing a nazi organization with your work. Of course, nowadays they're trying to become rock stars so they "forgot" about those things, but some other people should show them that they remember. Glad to see them kicked out from that show, I hope more follows.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 3:13 PM

how many of you even knew about these guys before reading this? i'm guessing not many, and yet you're willing to denounce these guys quickly.

and as for guilt by association, really? you may want to look at some of the products you buy, the companies that supports and the ways some of that money is spent that you would be offended by. if we're going to nit pick, we're all guilty.

i've followed these guys for a while and they're not deserving of this treatment.

Posted by chris | March 2, 2009 3:14 PM

Something tells me if I wore my Star or David necklace (on the outside) at one of their shows, it wouldn't be pretty, Nazi sympathizers or not.

...just a hunch.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 3:26 PM

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 3:31 PM

Nachtmystium never had an album on Unholy Records, look it up on Metal Archives. That Decibel article is full of factual inaccuracies.

I've met and hung out with Blake Judd at several Nachtmystium shows. He knows that I'm jewish (by birth, not as a religion) and it's never bothered him, so if he's a Nazi he's really, really bad at it.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 3:31 PM

"Well I think that wearing a Star of David necklace would be a problem at any black metal show to be honest... Most black metal bands and a huge percentage of the audience, especially in the "true" underground have fascist tendencies for some reason I cannot understand."

Precisely why this whole genre is pathetic. Trash.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 3:38 PM

"Nachtmystium never had an album on Unholy Records, look it up on Metal Archives. "

So it says on Metal Archives, is it true? I've heard about this release from a number of sources, and I also know well that whenever such collaborations happen, the 'non-ns' parties try to be as secretive about them to the metal underground. Here's a link I found that you can check out, tell me what you think about it.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 3:52 PM

I love how it says other people who bought Nachtmystium record also bought:

LAST PUBLIC SPEECH OF DR. WILLIAM PIERCE DVD
George Lincoln Rockwell-The Lost Recordings
Understanding Anti-Semitism
When the Darkness Falls - The Racially Divided States of America
Aggravated Assault - It Could Happen to You
Angry Aryans - Too White For You

NICE!

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 5:18 PM

"and as for guilt by association, really? you may want to look at some of the products you buy, the companies that supports and the ways some of that money is spent that you would be offended by. if we're going to nit pick, we're all guilty"

Fuck you and your ignorant comment.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 5:33 PM

"Really? That's a dumb fucking analogy. Of course we all (mostly) unknowingly purchase products from corporations that may or may not be involved in some shady shit. However, that's VERY different than entering in to a long-term business agreement with a company who's SOLE purpose is to promote blind hatred for other human beings. To promote the denial of other races to exist in this country.
Fuck you and your ignorant comment."

sweet. so my plea for a little understanding and giving people the benefit of the complexity of the world is met with this. way to turn this into a well reasoned dialog.

Posted by chris | March 2, 2009 7:51 PM

when do daft punk surrender to nachtmystium?

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 9:34 PM

"Precisely why this whole genre is pathetic. Trash."

What?! Nothing like generalizing based on a few stupid assholes. I love black metal, I also listen to everything from twee pop to techno to hip hop, old school soul and jazz. To say that the vast majority of the BM audience are fascist is absolutely ignorant. None of the people I know who dig BM are fascists - all of them are fairly far left leaning folks, including myself.

I don't think Nachtmystium are nazis. I have the infamous album, but it wasn't produced by Unholy Records, it was produced by Sombre records - at least my copy was, and it is an old vinyl version. Anyway, simply because Unholy distributes it doesn't mean they produced it. I would agree that if Nachtmystium actually had their album released by Unholy, then there is a problem, but I don't think that is actually the case.

As to the BM community and artists at large, I am sick of these slanderous accusations of nazism. It simply isn't true and it verges on hysteria. The actual amount of NSBM bands are very few. Of those who are known to the BM community at large, you can count them on one hand - Graveland and Burzum (who became a nazi after he recorded his BM classics)being the two biggest. The vast majority of BM bands have nothing to do with nazism.

There is a strain of hateful nihilism that runs through a lot of the more well known one-man USBM bands that verges on the absurd that people get all freaked out about and label fascist because of their statements about how they hate everyone and their dream is genocide of all of humanity. Kind of like that saying, I am not prejudiced, I hate everyone.

It is fucking stupid, yes, but to call music fueled by the emotion of hatred as fascist is to conflate the two incorrectly. I hate certain things, does that make me a fascist? We can debate as to whether there is value in bands like Judas Iscariot or Xasthur who are the more well known manifestations of what I am talking about (I personally think there is a lot of value in their work), but have the debate about that, don't call them fascists and dismiss it out of knee jerk ignorance. If you want to criticize it, fine, but understand what you are criticizing and criticize it on its actual terms, not what you claim it stands for.

In the end, I would just point out that most of the nazi bands are hardcore or punk bands, so by the logic of calling BM nazi or fascist in general, because there are a few artists who are, does that mean that punk in general is fascist because of the existence of Screwdriver? Does that mean that the Clash and Ted Leo are nazis and fascists since they are punk too? See how fucking stupid that logic is?

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2009 8:36 PM

A difference between the generalization between punk and BM is that in punk, while you may have a large group of nazi skin bands, you also have many more leftist bands who actually speak out against facism publicly. Right or left punk tends to be more political in general. With black metal only the right wing political voice is expressed. If a band is not nazi, they don't really speak against nazism, rather they speak about subjects outside of politics ...satan, nature, philosophy, farm animals. There does seem to be more crust emerging that is influenced by black metal, so maybe that will bring on a wave of truly leftist black metal. Until that happens though, I think BM in general will usually be associated with some alliance with racist or facist leanings until some bands are vocal about some leftist ideology. It is hard to take a position that everyone should be treated equally when you are advocating the destruction of christianity though.

Posted by Anonymous | March 6, 2009 2:41 PM

Christianity means treating everyone equally? Since when?

Posted by Anonymous | March 6, 2009 3:33 PM

Here is an email that Jarl, founding member of DER STURMER (ns/wp black metal band) posted on the FMP666 message board that Blake/Nachtmystium sent to him a year and a half ago....

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"Here is one e-mail I received 2 years ago from this newborn anti-racist hippie. You can judge by yourself:

From: trades@battlekommand.com
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 3:41:30 AM
To: jarl von hagall (bolverk88@hotmail.com)

Ave Jarl!
Great to hear from you comrade. Very cool to know that you're also into
my bands music. Even though we don't openly place our personal politics
in our music, we're 100% behind what you guys and your entire movement
stands for.
I think I'll pass on dealing with Matei, hehe, he's ALWAYS been really
hard to deal with, but I think I know some guys here in town who I might
be able to get some from Strong Survive Records.

I DEFINITLY want to distribute your split with Capricornus, let me know
when and where those will be available if not from you directly.

I'm leaving to go on tour for a month as of next wednesday, but I'll have
my laptop with me and will check emails every few days, so if my response
is slow, thats why.

TOTAL SUPPORT!
Blake / BKR"

Posted by anonymous dude! | March 6, 2009 5:02 PM

no, what my statement meant was if you have a liberal viewpoint that everyone should be treated equally, and a blackmetal viewpoint that christianty should be destroyed, then you will have a hard time making any sense since you clearly believe christians should not be treated equally....unless you advocate that everything should be destroyed equally, which is a bit of a grand fantasy rather than some legitimate political stance. Maybe I wasn't clear, and probably still am not.

Posted by Anonymous | March 6, 2009 5:33 PM

Wow anonymous dude- if that email is legit, I'd love to hear Blake try to talk his way out of that one!
I think that says it right there... Nachmystium are fucking Nazi pieces of shit. I am so pissed that I've actually supported them by going to their shows. NEVER again!
Neo-Nazis are the stupidest most disgusting scum on the planet. I know of some Anti-Nazi groups who like to "confront" bands like this who try to masquerade as a band that can play in regular venues. If I were Nachmystium I would hire some body guards.

Posted by Anonymous | March 6, 2009 6:00 PM

I found this interview that was posted to a Livejournal in 2005. It seems the interview is with some bigot named Cain in a black metal band called Snowfall...

INTERVIEWER: Are there any other bands around your area, or around in general, that you think are doing something unique and worth taking notice of?

CAIN: No, not at all. Everyone is a complete moron. I met the guy in Nachtmystium and I've never been so bloody well disappointed in all my life. well that guy is obviously a fag...it's not necessary to release your one shitty album in a million different formats within a year of release...whore
He cares about money more then his message. HE got angry because I insulted a friend of his by saying the word "nigger". Perhaps he was just envious I can out drink him.

the whole interview:

Posted by Anonymous | March 6, 2009 6:27 PM

Feb 2006 - a message from some racist band whose tour was messed up:

At first this show was scheduled to take place with Nachtmystium (USA), but all of a sudden this band backed out because they “feared for their reputation” playing with Grand Belial´s Key. The band knew what kind of band GBK is, so cancelling the tour at the last minute because of fear for their reputation is ridiculous. And since when does someone claiming to be Black Metal fear for their reputation???
Because of this the show was (successfully) rescheduled to take place on February 25th instead of February 18th.
Meanwhile some anonymous German and others got involved in a hate campaign against GBK, ultimately causing the cancellation of all German and Austrian shows planned.
Never had we thought this cancellation would also happen in Denmark, but here we are. The venue backed out now, just 3 weeks before the show was to take place, giving in to pressure from leftwing political groups threatening with the police (!)…isn´t the police exactly what represents the establishment which they claim to hate so much? Not to mention the police itself!
Everyone involved in the bands would like to say that the cancellation is NOT due to ourselves backing out because we fear anything. Fear is surely not one of the feelings in our heart and never was!
Only the groups behind the pressure on the venue, Harmonien, as well as the people at Harmonien - who have cowardly bowed under this pressure from them - are to blame!
Everyone who would have attended the show (or any other GBK show for that matter) or simply feels that things are anything but right should write their words of expression to the people at Harmonien at rytmisk_raastof@yahoo.dk
WE WILL NEVER BOW TO THE JUDEOBEAST NOR WILL WE BOW TO HERD MENTALITY!!!
WE STAB POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IN THE HEART AND WE FEAST IN THE BLOOD OF THOSE
WHO OPPOSE US!!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 6, 2009 6:38 PM

Blake Judd of Nacthmystium says they will not be a racist band (in 2007)

INTERVIEWER: Did you have other offers from other larger metal labels, and if so why did you choose to sign with Century Media?

BLACK JUDD: Simultaneously we had Earache, SPV, Candlelight, Century Media, and Metal Blade all gave us written, full on offers. Someone got paid to draw up a contract from all those labels. We weren’t trying to be cocky or rock stars about it, but the thing is I own a label and have good distribution. We didn’t need them…at this level I don’t work another job, we can afford to go on tour and don’t need a big label. The idea behind it was to score some cash to buy ourselves a better vehicle to tour in and they can offer us bigger studio budgets. All the other labels wanted 4-6 albums, but we told Century Media “You can have one or two, you can have the re-release, and the video. If not, that’s fine and no hard feelings, we’ll just put it out ourselves.” When we started playing hardball like that, we got what we wanted, and I’m psyched about it. I like Steve Joh a lot, he’s the A&R guy at Century Media. He left (Century Media) for a couple of years and then came back when they wanted to become a real metal label again. It’s great and we’ve got a lot of freedom in our contract. It took about 4 months to negotiate our contract. For instance, any advertisement…they can’t advertise Nachtmystium next to God Forbid, for example. Our deal was, we choose who we tour with, who we’re advertised with, they have no control over our artwork at all, they have no control over our lyrical content within reason, obviously. I mean, we’re not gonna turn into a (racist) band or whatever. The thing that’s cool is that the guy that wanted us the most, Steve Joh from Century Media, that’s what he wanted. He wanted a band to come in and be this ‘loose’ kinda thing, and add something that wasn’t so cheesy and intentionally borderline mainstream at Century Media. They’ve done really well with bands like God Forbid and Lacuna Coil, but they’ve also invested in 30 bands that sound like God Forbid and Lacuna Coil, that you’ve never heard of, and they’ve spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on these bands. Steve had told me that the company was basically at a point where they were just barely breaking even despite having the best selling records they’ve every had on their label right now. They’ve dropped a lot of bands and are digging back into the underground a little bit. They didn’t start off as a (commercial) label, they were an underground metal label. They’re a lot bigger now and have more cash, but…they put out ‘Blood Ritual’ by Samael, they put out fucking Unleashed ‘Across the Open Seas’, they put out the first Grave records, all the Eyehategod records! They licensed Mayhem and Emperor…if it wasn’t for Century Media we wouldn’t be sitting here right now, because that’s what I heard first when I was 13 years old. I also wanted to sign to Century Media because Nachtmystium has gotten to the point that since I run Battle Kommand Records almost exclusively alone I have a really hard time focusing on other bands on my label. Nachtmystium demands a lot of my attention, especially in pressing and releasing the record. When stuff sells quickly and I sell out of it that causes me to delay the releases of bands that I want to work with. I didn’t think that was very fair to those bands. I’m trying to develop a lot of bands that I really like, but if I’m worried about pressing Nachtmystium so we can tour and I can’t push the other records that doesn’t help anyone. The reason that Battle Kommand exists is because there are a lot of shit labels out there that walk all over little bands that might have a little buzz. They get fucked over or taken advantage of in some way and I’m here to try to be a person to help at least a few of those bands that I really like.

Posted by Anonymous | March 6, 2009 6:42 PM

March 2005, Azentrius of Nachtmystium says the following about Robert Smith:

"Robert Smith: Not a fan of The Cure, but can respect him for his musical legacy the same way I can respect Eric Clapton or any other massive artist that actually HAS musical talent...something not found in 99% of TV-fed 'bands' through MTV and other Zionist means of demoralizing young American's artistic standards."

Posted by Anonymous | March 6, 2009 6:46 PM

These interviews/emails lead me to think Nachtmystium isn't actually racist, but rather they don't give a fuck and wanna sell albums. In the deep underground they had NS ties to give some credibility to being a real black metal band, now that they've moved to a more mainstream crowd they have become 'hippies' to appeal to the rock crowd. I think Blake is honest when he says they are apolitical, but he is still a sleazy opportunist.

Posted by Anonymous | March 6, 2009 7:42 PM

These interviews lead me to think that they are extremely racist pricks, but are smart enough to "tone it down" when necessary. Like when they are in the presence of black music business people, or when they want to play a big corporate tour, or when they want to play a "hipster" show or sell records to "hipsters". Either way, they are fucking disgusting opportunists and should be gassed to death.
I'll be alerting any venue that I see this band booked at to let them know about their history and stupid fucking comments. Let them play redneck skinhead festivals in the fucking Georgia woods... that's where they belong. Too bad for them those idiots don't have any money to spend on their records!

Posted by Anonymous | March 6, 2009 8:08 PM

Being the dude that made the analogy between punk and BM and how you can't paint a broad brush against all BM, I would like to respond to a couple of the posts here. Someone said that BM suffers from nazism because while most bands stay apolitical that due to the fact that BM suffers from not having anyone overtly leftist (although there are serious environmentalist in the USBM movement, and while that has been linked with right wing politics in Germany, in America that stand is most commonly associated with the left) that somehow that causes all BM to suffer as well.

I don't buy that. For me, again a person who considers himself a leftist, when I listen to BM the last thing I am thinking about or feeling is political in nature - right or left. BM has always been about feelings of isolation, horror, coldness and hate. Maybe not pretty feelings, but feelings we all have. It is the extreme of the extreme. As a result, it is not going to fit into a tidy category that will make everyone comfortable.

Unfortunately, because of Burzum's conversion to Nazism the douchebags in the neo-nazi movement tried to capitalize on his very wrong turn (although how much more wrong could he turn after stabbing Euronymous to death?). As a result there was a concerted effort by the followers of dumbfuck William Pierce (he of Turner Diaries fame) to try and cultivate a NSBM movement. They have to some degree, but again that fraction of the BM movement is small. I don't listen to it. Although lyrics are hardly the strength of BM, and the vocals act more as a cathartic release than a vehicle to convey a message, I have no desire to listen to some hillbilly dipshit scream about how white people are superior to others. There are plenty of other BM musicians to choose from, and apart from Graveland, NSBM bands are hardly the cream of the crop. They pretty much suck as much as their politics do.

BM started in Norway, a country at the opposite end of the political spectrum of the United States. Since Reagan the overwhelming political doctrine has been government is bad, unbridled capitalism is good and the individual stands alone and can pull himself up by the bootstraps and any point of view to the contrary is edging toward communism. Norway, on the other hand is a socialist country and they are taught that the collective is what matters. Coming from that environment, the original BM bands rebelled against that paradigm. Although in truth, their politics rarely was any more radical than that of an American libertarian.

But again, the vast majority of these bands are apolitical. If someone isn't interested in singing about politics, but would rather sing about devils or mythological creatures, or just depression and suicide, they can't be blamed for not singing about politics and therefore somehow being complicit with NSBM. I have always thought it weird the NSBM even exists. Again this is not the best vehicle for politics, especially when lyrical content is so secondary and music itself hardly resembles Wagner. In fact Burzum has refuted BM and called it "N*****" music, because he determined it could be traced back to the blues and thus was not a pure aryan artform. Good, I wish more of these dipshits followed his lead and stopped making their crap version of BM.

As to requiring it to be tolerant of Christianity, as one poster wanted to see, here I totally agree with BM's generally accepted stance - religion is a farce and shouldn't be tolerated. I find it funny that someone is asking anyone to be tolerant of a social movement/belief system that has propagated so much hate throughout history...and continues to do so against homosexuals in America. Any group that denies a person their rights is a hate group by my definition. The Catholic Church, and many mainstream Protestants are doing this as we speak against homosexuals. I have no interest in tolerating that. I find them as disgusting as the neo-nazis that so many here are concerned about here. Most BM dudes are atheists and play with the satanic imagery as a symbolic counter to religion in general. Many other metal bands do this as well - see Kerry King of Slayer's take on all this to understand what I am talking about.

I know this has been long, but I feel like there is so much misundertanding about BM. I understand that as an artform it is extreme and makes people uncomfortable and even hate it, and that is fine. What is not fine is maligning it with an ugly slander like nazism.

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2009 12:28 PM

Can anyone in the know say for certain that Nachtmystium's past actions make them nazis?

Can anyone point out any racist themes in their lyrics?

Posted by Anonymous | March 7, 2009 2:41 PM

when Nachtmystium's on stage it's nap time anyway

Posted by Anonymous | March 9, 2009 10:05 AM

I went there and was most excited to see Nachtmystium. I'd seen them before, years ago, but the new record is great. Blake is not fucking Bono, I don't care if he's a white supremacist, he's not going to do anything except play music. If he were to use the stage to say ignorant things about politics or race, it wouldn't be anymore offensive than the past eight years of musicians saying at numerous shows all the 'bush is stupid, and we don't like him!' cheap pops, just because I didn't like the fellow either didn't mean it wasn't their role to comment on it.

Posted by wrezhu | March 9, 2009 12:14 PM

Nachtmystium do not have political messages in their music, but as people they are racists. i hung around these guys a lot before they got "big" and blake would always say "jew" and "nigger", etc...one of their bass players had nazi paraphenalia in his house. so, technically yes, the bands message is not racist, but as people, they are.

Posted by Anonymous | March 13, 2009 12:38 AM

I'm sure Blake himself isn't a racist...
I once walked in on him struggling to play "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" while listening and singing along to Prince. Racist, no. Weird, probably.

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2009 1:30 PM

Blake just collaborated with Rob Lowe from Lichens (Chicago based psych folk project), who is black. Any accusations that black is racist is ridiculous. Perhaps not the most PC or 'sensitive' person in the world, but I can tell you as someone who knows him quite well personally that he, nor his band, are racist at all. You're all ridiculous. Everyone was 19 once and said edgy shit, get over it...it's black metal. It's only OK to hate Christianity, but god forbid anyone attack Judaism, another religion...just like Christianity. You're all way too sensitive and WAY too concerned...go worry about bands like Arghoslent, etc who are actually racist.

Posted by anonymous | March 18, 2009 9:39 PM

i really like this post thanks!!!

Posted by Buy propecia | June 1, 2009 2:30 AM

nice post.. thanks

Posted by Herpes Simplex | June 18, 2009 2:08 PM

.Is it weird that i'm less excited that i made out with that face than that a face i've made out with gets to sniff that beard?

Posted by coursework writing | August 4, 2009 4:42 PM

I like to see these kind of comments!! so funny.

Posted by Generic Sildenafil Citrate | August 25, 2009 10:34 AM

fuck scion. fuck car companies. i can't believe an "eco" band like wittr would even consider playing an orchestrated and contrived "extreme metal" fest for the benefit of a car multi national.

Posted by jon | September 8, 2009 4:22 PM

anyone got a shirt XL , you want to sell from this?
THX

Posted by TXnbeson421@msn.com | October 28, 2009 7:38 PM

^SMOOOOOTH

Posted by TXn | October 28, 2009 7:39 PM

i really don't care what a band thinks it the music that counts. so what if they don't like zionism - many people don't. its a joke in the whole world how much this country supports Israel.

there is a movement of jews in america against zionism. you should look that up.

and to anyone who would call me racist - guess what - i have jewish friends!

Posted by user1notfound | February 4, 2010 5:01 PM

I have their live LP for sale if anyone is interested. Autographed and it is a copy #88. Very rare item.

Posted by jeffrey | February 18, 2010 11:27 PM

ARGHOSLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 12:13 AM

who cares there music's fucking awesome its bullshit that there not going to be there HAIL NACHTMYSTIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2010 1:36 AM

wow,just wow! the metal scene is so full of limp wristed sissy nigger lovers it's pathetic. maybe ya little fags should be suckin' nigger dicks while listening to hip hop.

Posted by scott | June 29, 2010 9:04 PM