Posted in music | tour dates on February 17, 2009

The Amygdaloids
Amygaloids

The Rock-It Science Festival will bring together eight outstanding--and noted--scientists and academics who share a second career as musicians, along with six additional performers with international exposure and a great appreciation for science.

Dr. Joseph LeDoux conceived the idea for this unique event, which serves as the closing event for the Sensation to Emotion Conference on March 2 and 3. LeDoux is a professor of neuroscience at New York University who not only has pioneered study of the brain's mechanisms for emotion and memory and is the author of The Emotional Brain and The Synaptic Self, but is also guitarist and lead vocalists of rock band The Amygdaloids, who will be performing at Rock-It Science. The Amygdaloids line-up also includes three other NYU scientists: neuroscientist Daniela Schiller, PhD candidate Nina Galbraith Curley, and Environmental Sciences professor and author Tyler Volk.

Rufus WainwrightThe Rock-It Science Festival will start rockin' at 6:30 p.m. on March 3 at the Highline Ballroom, 431 W. 16th Street in New York. Australian Go-Go dancer and variety show star Anna Copa Cabanna will emcee the event, promising an interesting and humorous evening. Rufus Wainwright will highlight an evening that will also include musician, writer and record producer Lenny Kaye, who is the long-time collaborator of poet-rocker Patti Smith.

Other guest artists at Rock-It Science include Grammy-nominated songwriter and international recording artist Gary Lucas, and Peter Holsapple, an acclaimed musician, songwriter and side man who is co-leader of the legendary dBs, and has performed extensively with R.E.M. and Hootie & The Blowfish. American folk-rock duo The Kennedys, jazz/cabaret performer Pamela Luss, acclaimed songwriter Steve Wynn (of the Dream Syndicate and the Miracle Three), and Stuart Chatwood, previously the bassist and keyboard player for platinum rock band The Tea Party, also make the Rock-It Science lineup.

Dee Snider is also on the bill. $25.00 tickets are on sale.

Rufus Wainwright performed in NJ on Friday, and has another NYC show coming up on March 4th.

Dee Snider was Santa this past Christmas.

The Db's are playing the R.E.M. tribute at Carnegie Hall in March.

More info on the Rock-It Science Festival below...

The Amygdaloids Played MSG

Many of the featured artists, including The Amygdaloids, perform songs whose lyrics are based on the scientists' own research. The unique connection between science and rock music relates a new understanding of the human condition that reflects the increasing role of science in issues of the mind, body and social relations. "A lot of people have been talking about this thing called 'neuroculture'," says musician/producer Tim Sommer, who is co-producing the event with Dr. LeDoux. "I am not 100 percent sure what this means, but I take it to mean there's this wonderful sphere where music and art interface with not only the workings of the brain, but art can also be made and inspired by investigating how the brain itself works. I think this event is an extraordinary example of that."

Besides The Amygdaloids, scientist-musicians performing at Rock-It Science also include Daniel Levitin, a cognitive psychologist, neuroscientist, and author (This Is Your Brain On Music, The World In Six Songs) who has performed with Mel Torme, Blue Oyster Cult and David Byrne; David Sulzer (a.k.a. Dave Soldier) who has worked with David Byrne, John Cale and Kurt Vonnegut along with co-leading musical groups that include The Spinozas and the Kropotkins; and evolutionary geneticist Pardis Sabeti, who leads the Boston band Thousand Days. New York Times global environment reporter and author Andrew Revkin of the band Uncle Wade will also take the stage.

The Rock-It Science Festival is sponsored by The Sensation and Emotion Network, which is focused on funding research and creating awareness of Sensory Processing Disorders (SPD), a brain-based problem that affects approximately five percent of school age children in the U.S. One subtype of SPD is Sensory Over Responsivity (SOR). SOR kids respond to sensory information (i.e. sound and touch) as though it were extremely aversive. They feel continually bombarded by stimuli and the resultant physiologic over-arousal and emotional disfunction negatively impact the child's daily functioning. The Rock-It Science Festival will raise funds for the E.M.B. Brout Sensory Processing and Emotion Regulation Program at Duke University and the SPD Foundation.

More information about the Rock-It Science Festival and artists performing at the event, as well as ticket information and advance registration, can be found online at http://www.sensationandemotionnetwork.com/html/Rock-It_Science.html

the brunette is pretty hot.

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2009 12:03 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I was actually expecting a few "I'd hit that" comments.

Posted by michaelways | February 17, 2009 12:10 PM

Joe LeDoux was my professor! Happy for them.

Posted by anon | February 17, 2009 12:19 PM

Tyler Volk was my professor! Pretty awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2009 12:34 PM

I'd write a postcard to that Nina!

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2009 12:58 PM

Steve Wynn! He's so damned good.

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2009 1:06 PM

Cleavage is always greatly appreciated.

Posted by Tented Trousers | February 17, 2009 1:10 PM

(Rufus Wainwright's other upcoming NYC show is March 4 at City Winery -- not in June.)

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2009 1:39 PM

epic boobage.

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2009 2:32 PM

How old are you people?

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2009 2:43 PM

<3 ( . Y . ) <3

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2009 2:44 PM

them's some great tits

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2009 3:05 PM

Is that Dee Snider holding the drumsticks in the top picture? He looks really different now.

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2009 3:53 PM

what does age have to do with loving cleavage? Being immature...maybe, but i agree with 2:44. But,the females love to see some guy in tight jeans with its dick and balls pressed against the denim, while the guys like them cleavage, ass, and leg shots on them girls. You get the drift?

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2009 4:39 PM

Scientists with bewbage. Thumbs up!

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2009 4:52 PM

heehee nerdy girls with nice tits.

Posted by spanky | February 17, 2009 9:22 PM

Major Bewbage?

Posted by Anonymous | February 18, 2009 9:00 AM

Posted by lauren m | February 18, 2009 12:40 PM

"is rufus actually performing? I can't find his name on the rock-it science website, or on his website."

Posted by Anonymous | February 18, 2009 12:44 PM

Nice info, thank you...

Posted by Bisnis Online | May 18, 2009 10:54 PM

Tyler Volk was my professor! Pretty awesome.

Posted by Earn Money | August 1, 2009 7:30 PM

I do not really understand music like this, but thank you this information quite interesting

Posted by mind author | September 20, 2009 8:39 AM

Apparently. Second time I saw them mentioned today- check out this review over at CoS-- looks like they are the "best band of the year"

Posted by Lingerie | September 20, 2009 2:18 PM

Posted by اناشيد mp3 | November 3, 2009 9:57 AM

Posted by مطبخ منال العالم | November 3, 2009 9:59 AM

Neuroscientist, and author (This Is Your Brain On Music, The World In Six Songs) who has performed with Mel Torme, Blue Oyster Cult and David Byrne; David Sulzer (a.k.a. Dave Soldier) who has worked with David Byrne, John Cale and Kurt Vonnegut along with co-leading musical groups that include The Spinozas and the Kropotkins; and evolutionary geneticist Pardis Sabeti, who leads the Boston band Thousand Days. New York Times global environment reporter and author Andrew Revkin of the band Uncle Wade will also take the stage.

Posted by van credit | November 7, 2009 4:42 AM

I'm hopefully going to be able to catch Orba Squara at the Knitting Factory next Saturday. Excellent.

Posted by elottery syndicate | November 14, 2009 5:18 AM

I'm one of those who has tried to keep things separate, but finding - especially with Twitter - that I'm sharing some of the same things in both arenas anyway. It's leading me to believe that "blended, with restraint," is better than separate, if only because it reduces the number of accounts I have to manage. It also makes me strive to be a more interesting person to friend or follow, because I think harder about what I'm sharing.

Posted by Skolresa | November 26, 2009 5:27 AM

I think it's great to see festivals like this. So many times, we like to think of people as being either right-brained or left-brained, and we assume people who are good at things like math and science have no creative side (or vice versa). Really cool.

Also, "The Amygdaloids" is a funny name. Haha.

Posted by Rich | December 21, 2009 12:15 PM

Scientists with Tyler Volk. Pretty awesome. Liked the music as well..

Posted by earn money online | February 3, 2010 10:02 AM

I do know that you have done a very hard search, composing your great tought referring to this topic. Therefore, such kind of task scholars perform creating the thesis writing and just thesis sentences researching.

Posted by Kerry20Zm | February 4, 2010 3:24 PM

Web is flooded of the online writing jobs , which will supply interesting notes about this topic.

Posted by Ellen33 | February 7, 2010 8:29 AM

It is a great effort to bring together musicians from different Diasporas and countries together. This is good for music to grow and prosper.

Posted by sole f80 treadmill | February 14, 2010 11:52 AM

I wonder if people with a scientific background are likely to be better musicians or worse, compared to those who have backgrounds which are more creative such as writing or art.

Posted by Mesa Bankruptcy | February 17, 2010 3:04 PM

We would like propose you the article submission to do your article just about this topic superior.

Posted by article submit | February 27, 2010 4:09 AM

I apprise your release just about this good post. I wanted let you know that I did not determine such kind of good dissertation writer before. Could you write the truly perfect dissertation or dissertation thesis?

Posted by dissertation | March 12, 2010 4:48 AM

have to laugh at some of the comments on this blog. typical men!

Posted by become a driving instructor | March 12, 2010 7:20 PM

I would of liked to of seen it, are they likely to put it on again?

Posted by Silver Gems | April 14, 2010 2:14 PM

Cool performance. Scientists and rock reminds me of Gregg Graffin, lead singer of Bad Religion. If you love rock than you can't miss out on this awesome punk rock band.

Posted by Earrings For Men | April 17, 2010 6:50 AM

Great info thanks, I have studied many explanations regarding google dancing, this is the best so far.

It is kinda scarry when it happens to your own site, as you never know for sure what’s going on, in my case everytime my site has just been dancing, never permenantly vanished… touch wood.

Posted by bean bags chairs | April 18, 2010 7:35 AM

These was really a great show. The video is awesome.

Posted by Jonny | April 26, 2010 10:37 AM

Since I heard "I don't know what it is" I really have been a huge Rufus fan. Would have been great to see him live again.

Posted by Summer Dresses | June 8, 2010 1:59 PM

Actually I think the guy in the centre of the pisture with half a brain is pretty hot.

Posted by Toaster | June 10, 2010 6:27 PM

I would never have thought of scientists being into music in this way. I kind of imagine them all listening to Mozart ( not that there is anything wrong with that, I love Mozart.)whilst thinking great thoughts.

Posted by Donut | June 21, 2010 5:53 AM

It is very rare to see the expert/scientist as musicians . Out of my imagination. Well this is just the beginning in music industries....

Great Band...
Congratulations to them....

Posted by azman | June 27, 2010 12:37 PM

The festival would be really a Rocking one!!! With the combination of Science and Music, a great Rap would form and would be an enjoyable one....

Good luck for Dr. LeDoux and his Amygdaloids Rockband Team..

Posted by Texas Driving Safety Course | July 9, 2010 2:25 AM

Posted by earth4energy | July 30, 2010 9:55 AM

Interestingly enough, there was a song by Switchfoot that had been based off of a novel about how times have not changed much since hundreds of years ago. We are still struggling today.

Posted by truck accident lawyers | August 10, 2010 11:01 AM

The combo of smart minds and great music is one feature I'd be interested to check out. You never what sort of presentation those in the academic world will make to an audience.

Posted by wireless laser printers | September 5, 2010 3:54 AM

It is always wonderful to bring together people from different fields.Music always unites people irrespective of their nationalities

Posted by Linda | September 20, 2010 12:41 AM

Scientists with style!

Posted by Carl | September 26, 2010 3:37 PM

Do you opine that's a piece of cake to check your texts? It will be more difficult than you guess. Furthermore, you should surely use plagiarism check to ensure that all is OK with your stuff.

Posted by plagiarism detector | October 12, 2010 5:29 AM

The Rock-It Science Festival is one of the favorite times for scientists.

Posted by Farmville | October 20, 2010 2:16 AM

Steve Wynn is a cool guy

Posted by Death Knight Guide | October 20, 2010 2:18 AM

Good team.

Posted by wobenzyme | October 27, 2010 11:03 AM

Science and music is such an enjoyable combination.Good team

Posted by Ben | January 2, 2011 10:20 PM

Great science festival.Hope there are more of those.

Posted by Resell Ebooks | January 31, 2011 12:23 AM

Its awesome,I like both science and music as well. Scientist Tyler i like him.Good topic...

Posted by cassy | February 13, 2011 10:11 AM

I find your ideas really cool.

Posted by Test SAP | September 7, 2011 3:47 AM

perfect juxtapoz of art!!!! wow! amazing! zma

Posted by zma | November 8, 2011 4:01 AM

It is ok that businessmen are willing thousands customers to be directed to their websites. Nonetheless, that can be complicated to make that and I recommend to demand the blog commenting services helping you!

Posted by blog commenting service | December 23, 2011 3:19 AM

Posted by Pursuit Media | January 15, 2012 3:24 PM

Such festivals should be promoted.

Posted by Plumber Bedfordshire | January 20, 2012 2:43 PM

Often that occurs that you definitely need an effective web traffic optimization for your internet site. How will you act in this case? If I were you, I would, probably, use good rss submit service. Furthermore, I regularly utilize rss feeds submission tools and it always aids my online site.

Posted by submit rss | January 31, 2012 3:15 AM

Men appreciate your text! To buy essay or custom essays just about this good topic will be wide basis of information!

Posted by buy an essay | March 13, 2012 3:50 AM

Double is a professor of neuroscience at New York University who not only has pioneered study of the brain's mechanisms for emotion and memory and is the author of The Emotional Brain and The Synaptic Self, but is also guitarist and lead vocalists of rock band The Amygdaloids, who will be performing at Rock-It Science.

Posted by Acne No More Review Home Treatment | August 22, 2013 9:54 AM