Posted in music | pictures on February 8, 2009

photos by Mike Lerner

The Black Keys

The Black Keys, Heartless Bastards and Lucero played two sold-out shows in a row at Terminal 5 in NYC on Friday (2/6) and Saturday (2/7). How were they?

Lucero plays one last NYC show tonight (2/8) at Mercury Lounge. The Black Keys play one more NYC-area show tonight at the Wellmont Theater with Doug Gillard opening. Dan Auerbach of the Black Keys will be back in NYC in March to play Bowery Ballroom and Music Hall of Williamsburg with Those Darlins.

Heartless Bastards also played a few days ago at Maxwell's...

THB really put on a great show last night at Maxwell's. The band was firing on all cylinders. They played for about 2 hours and hit on all their old and new material. It was definitely worth the trip from Brooklyn.

Only negative about last night has to do with the volume. My ears are still ringing. This happened to me once before at Maxwell's. Next time I'll grab a pair of plugs from the bar.

They should be headlining that Webster Hall Show. [Anonymous | February 5, 2009 11:31 AM]

The Webster Hall show Heartless Bastards are playing (opening) is in March with the Gaslight Anthem. All of HB's tour dates are HERE.

Lucero and Heartless Bastards were co-openers at the two T5 shows. That is, they each played first on a different night. Mike shot these pictures the night HB played first, and a mixup at the door left him standing outside for their set... So, more pics of (just) Lucero and TBK below...

Lucero...

Lucero

Lucero

Lucero

Lucero

Lucero

Lucero

Lucero

Lucero

The Black Keys...

The Black Keys

pretty solid show last night. Went on at 10:15, played until 11:30.

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 2:01 PM

I was at the show on Friday night and it was really sick. Check out this video of the first song they played, Just the Same Old Thing:

Posted by Matt | February 8, 2009 2:04 PM

kicked ass last night, such a great live band every time I see them

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 2:05 PM

The pictures look also very good.

Posted by Fahrrad | February 8, 2009 2:52 PM

Anyone have an opinion on whether Dan Auerbach solo is worth seeing?

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 3:44 PM

^^^^ definitely worth seeing! Dan is the man! Since when does he use a Les Paul though??? Kick ass everytime i see them! one of the best live bands out there today...

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 3:49 PM

totally bad-ass show

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 4:19 PM

They covered Captain Beefheart's "I'm Glad" last night.

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 4:50 PM

They don't play for long enough.

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 5:24 PM

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 5:48 PM

The Black Keys are great. They could not have worse fans. And as the band gets bigger, their fans get worse. At least 75 percent were drunk, rowdy frat boys.

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 5:49 PM

the crowd sucked. but that's to be expected with Saturday show at Terminal 5.

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 5:59 PM

anyone have a setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 6:41 PM

"they cover that captain beefheart song at EVERY show. you must be a huge fan, 4:50."

anon 4:50 here.
Calm down, hoss... I haven't seen the Black Keys since '06 when they played at Warsaw. I have also seen them several times prior to that outside NY. At none of those gigs did they play "I'm Glad". I don't have any of their bootleg shows, I don't peruse websites looking for setlists, nor do I get on Myspace very much. In fact, I don't own either of their last two releases (though after last night, that will change soon).
So this was quite a pleasant surprise for me, being a 'huge fan' of Captain Beefheart.

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 6:42 PM

there is nothing interesting about this band. listening to them is like watching almost famous.

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 7:12 PM

^^^^
If thats the case then your Penny Fucking lame. moron

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 7:45 PM

They could use a bass player.

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 10:09 PM

Last night's crowd really wasn't THAT bad. I've seen way worse. What surprised me most was the number of old people there. I mean like AARP card old.

Posted by Anonymous | February 8, 2009 10:20 PM

i agree - crowd sucked

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 9:19 AM

friday night show was rad...those two doods really rock hard. loved it. the keys really are one of the best live bands i've seen.

Posted by steph | February 9, 2009 10:54 AM

Both shows kicked ass - I have seen the Keys probably a dozen times and these were two of the best shows I have seen (best was in Cleveland 4 years ago.)
The crowd was terrible. There was some jerk in front of us that refused to let anyone walk in front of him and "his woman". Its a fecking general admission concert - leave the tough guy ego at home and enjoy the music.
Needless to say the show would have been better had I not had to worry about getting my ass kicked for smudging some asshole's pumas.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 12:54 PM

Thoughts for Bowery, Inc. regarding Terminal 5:

1. Knock it down.
2. Start all over.

The sound was pretty weak Friday night.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 1:39 PM

I wouldn't know how awesome these shows were b/c I will never pay to enter T5 again. Ever.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 1:54 PM

did anyone else's husband get arrested by undercover BEFORE the show even started? like mine did?? terminal 5 f*cking sucks... i will never go there again. the cops literally told me and my husband that they have a show list at the precinct and wait to arrest potheads... f*cking losers

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 1:55 PM

and everyone seems to be complaining about the crowd sucking? that's because a bunch of the crowd was hand cuffed and tossed into a van before they got into the show...

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 1:57 PM

saturday night show was pretty good. agreed crowd was a pain in the ass.

I would say that they played hard, but were way less into it than at their McCarren pool show this past summer. Dan was jumping around, playing on his knees, and waving his guitar around like a madman that show. this one...meehh not so much.

good time though.

BTW about the cops! holy shat my buddy got the full cavity search! what a load of shit. T5 definitely gets less and less attractive every time i go.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 2:34 PM

Went on Friday night and did not seem to have seen any of the problems associated with the cops on Saturday night. Was it a situation where people were busted for possession or were they caught smoking outside the venue?

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 2:42 PM

the cops wait outside the venue around 56th and 11th... apparently there's a bad project right there, so they use that as an excuse to post up- but they don't arrest anyone from the projects... they wait for kids going to shows every weekend. it's a serious problem- not that smoking is exactly legal, but come on- a black keys show? really? what possible harm could anyone really be doing?!?!? so if you know anyone going to that venue, just be sure to give fair warning. i go to shows ALL the time and I swear, unless paul mccartney is play T5, i will never go there again

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 2:49 PM

Went to Saturday's show. Security were ASSHOLES. Like accusing me of 'looking nervous' as Im getting frisked outside... F'n people.

And yes, the crowd was AARP or utter douchebags. T5 is a horrible venue, and the people there only made it worse. If you weren't where you wanted to be by the opening band (who are horrible) forget about seeing/hearing the show. And The Keys were f'n fantastic at McCarren, yet here it was a waste of time. Great performance by them, but everything else just couldnt be ignored.

And the BK's added some sort of lights system to their stage that I kind of don't understand. And the Tiki/God/Whatever head... weird.

Posted by Went Saturday | February 9, 2009 2:59 PM

"did anyone else's husband get arrested by undercover BEFORE the show even started? like mine did?? terminal 5 f*cking sucks... i will never go there again"

I know... right? one time I got arrested trying to steal a car from the Costco parking lot. FUCK COSTCO! I will NEVER shop there again!

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 6:21 PM

touche- i guess...

Posted by Anonymous | February 10, 2009 10:55 AM

Sorry - didn't know you couldn't be "old" and like TBK. Both my son and I love this band. We both have a band and we both play their music. Didn't know there was an age limit. Me, 50 y/o, my 16 y/o son and his bandmate thought it was without a doubt one of the best we've ever seen. The crowd around us was great, except for some d-bags that tried to rush the stage at the start of TBK set.

This show was great. Maybe some of you think you've seen better - congrats on that.

Rushing the stage - wouldn't let in in front of "him and his woman"? F*** you - get there early, stand in line for an hour, get a good spot. Rush the stage in my area and get knocked on your ass. D-bag.

Posted by SpaceForThePoppa | February 13, 2009 5:10 PM

the crowd was so uptight-oblivious that people may brush your arm when it is in a crowded space. i was shocked at the tense stares coming from the people around me, thanks the lord there were a few jamming out- or it would have blown. keys rocked- no age limit necessary- old people gotta groove too.

Posted by nella | April 14, 2009 2:21 PM

Undercover cop hassled my husband last night outside Terminal 5 Paolo Nutini concert..husband was smoking a tobacco cigarette..put something in his back pocket and undercover cop swooped down with badge and asked to see what he had put in his pocket..cop said "it looked like you had reefer..that's what people do..put it in their back pocket." Really?

Posted by Laura | July 22, 2009 12:13 PM

fuck terminal 5 and the midtown north cops too nothing better to do than arrest people for petty bullshit fucking assholes

Posted by Anonymous | November 20, 2009 10:46 AM

I've never heard the music of this band, but by just looking at the pictures, I can say that I won't like it.

Posted by Ruby D. Brady | January 13, 2011 7:14 AM