Posted in music | tour dates on February 9, 2009

Decemberists

The Decemberists have announced the first leg of their Spring 2009 North American tour in support of The Hazards of Love, their ambitious new album to be released by Capitol Records on March 24th. The 16-date run will kick off May 19th at the Hollywood Palladium in Los Angeles, and include a June 10th performance at Radio City Music Hall in New York, as well as a set at the 2009 Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival in Tennessee.

A limited number of pre-sale tickets go on sale today to the public on a first-come, first-served basis at http://www.decemberists.tickets.musictoday.com. General ticket on-sales begin on Friday, February 13th. Full venue and ticketing information is available at The Decemberists' website. More upcoming tour dates will be announced shortly.

On tour, The Decemberists will present a full performance of the album, a 17-song suite that tells the tale of a woman named Margaret who is ravaged by a shape-shifting animal; her lover, William; a forest queen; and a cold-blooded, lascivious rake. Joining the band on stage will be Lavender Diamond's Becky Stark and My Brightest Diamond's Shara Worden who deliver the lead vocals for the female characters. The band announced last week that they will give the debut live performance of The Hazards of Love when they headline NPR Music's South by Southwest showcase at Stubbs in Austin on March 18th.

30 seconds after I posted the Radio City date, the whole tour appears in my inbox. All dates below...

The Decemberists - 2009 Tour Dates
June 6 Tower Theatre Upper Darby, PA
June 9 Bank of America Pavillion Boston, MA
June 10 Radio City Music Hall New York, NY
June 11-14 Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival Manchester, TN

Thanks BV!

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 3:12 PM

I want to live in a dream in my record machine.

Posted by Tony the Drummer | February 9, 2009 3:13 PM

Thanks BV.

Posted by drewo | February 9, 2009 3:21 PM

looks like a lock of lollapalooza

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 3:35 PM

looks like harry potter part 26

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 3:43 PM

no offense, i love reading about shows on BV but why am i a fan signed up to the Decemberists newsletter and i go to their site and there's zero info about a presale for tickets. shouldn't a fan first hear about things from the band and not on a blog? it's really starting to irritate me that this happens so often.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 3:51 PM

Harry Potter and the case of the Impossible Bra Strap.

This band runs on virgin angst and mint julep

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 3:53 PM

Yeah, I am so grateful for BV & their pre-sale announcements, but being on band mailing lists have gotten me nowhere over the years. I mostly always hear about them on BV first!

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 3:55 PM

Are they only playing the new album on tour or is that just part of the performance?

Posted by mp77 | February 9, 2009 3:56 PM

I'm sure it's only part of the performance. The album itself is just under an hour.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 4:01 PM

40 bucks to hear a set of basically all new material? pass.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 4:03 PM

"17-song suite that tells the tale of a woman named Margaret who is ravaged by a shape-shifting animal; her lover, William; a forest queen; and a cold-blooded, lascivious rake."

I just threw up on my monitor

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 4:15 PM

this band jumped the shark ages ago...

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 5:00 PM

this band jumped the shark ages ago...

No wait... Of course! Their sound changed over the course of their career. Fuck that! I want the same record over and over like Korn. No wait, they jumped the shark because every record sounds exactly the same.

I guess any band not named Radiohead ... no fuck that too...In Rainbows was too mainstream and poppy and wasnt Kid A.

I guess by definition once you put out that third record and stop playing to 50 people at Union Pool OR they change their sound, they MUST have jumped the shark.

Weak flippant response. Save my rods and cones next time and shut the hell up.

Posted by Bob Roberts | February 9, 2009 5:25 PM

"Speaking of which, today's pre-sale seats have been so-so. The best I found were row TT. I might wait until Fri."

I swung two in Orch AA not ten minutes ago. So psyched for this.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 7:35 PM

This is only the first leg of the tour. Another batch of dates will be announced eventually. They will play The Hazards of Love in its entirety and then they will play a second set of older material. Bye.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 8:30 PM

Awesome, looks like they'll be playing Sasquatch this year.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 9:34 PM

Yeah, I got a pair of seats in row AA not too long ago too. Good thing I waited! I was the guy who posted about row TT being the best I could find. I also was pulling up seats in all these other rows-- from A to W (essentially the last row)-- before getting that front row pair. I don't get how these pre-sale dealies work, but whatever. I'm happy.

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 9:48 PM

To Anon 4:03:

According to the band's email newsletter, the first set of each show on this tour is going to be the new album start to finish. The second set after an intermission will be a smattering of old material.

Should be a great show!

Posted by Anonymous | February 9, 2009 10:11 PM

I'll be sitting dead center in the first row of the LOGE at the Philadelphia show. Can't wait!

Posted by Dumbjaw | February 21, 2009 2:04 PM

"I'll be sitting dead center in the first row of the LOGE at the Philadelphia show."

Yeah, but you will still be in Philadelphia.

Posted by Anonymous | February 21, 2009 2:15 PM