Posted in music | tour dates on February 4, 2009

Throbbing Gristle in 2005
Throbbing Gristle

Throbbing Gristle announce their first US performances in 28 years - including an appearance Sunday April 19th at the 2009 Coachella Music Festival! The band, who have not performed in the United States since 1981, will also be playing Chicago and New York for the first time ever.

To mark these special occasions, Throbbing Gristle will play TWO SET events in New York and Chicago. The performances begin with a new live soundtrack to Derek Jarman's 60-minute 1980 alchemical film "In The Shadow Of The Sun" followed by a second set of material from across Throbbing Gristle's history.

Throbbing Gristle will be available for a fan signing session between sets in both New York and Chicago. Fans are encouraged to bring along one item from their collection for the band to sign. There will also be special 'TG USA 2009' merchandise including an all new album, t-shirt specific to the event, tour enamel badge, and tour embroidered patch for sale.

In addition, Throbbing Gristle will perform their live soundtrack to Derek Jarman's 60-minute 1980 alchemical film "In The Shadow Of The Sun" at UCLA in Los Angeles on April 21st and a full set of material from across their history at The Grand Regency Ballroom in San Francisco on April 23rd.

Throbbing Gristle - Chris Carter, Peter Christopherson, Genesis Breyer-P.Orridge and Cosey Fanni Tutti - formed in 1975 and released a string of albums until 1981, including The Second Annual Report, 20 Jazz Funk Greats and the legendary 24 Hours Cassette Boxed Set (reissued as TG24 on CD by the Grey Area of Mute in 2002 and followed by the companion box set TG+ in 2004). Unlike many of their punk peers, Throbbing Gristle deployed their music as a weapon attacking the apparatus of the music industry, which they treated as the propaganda wing of the then growing entertainment industry. TG set up their own imprint, Industrial Records (giving rise to the term "industrial music"), for the distribution of their clanging factory noises and as a cold parody of the entertainment industry's process of industrializing music.

In 2007 Throbbing Gristle released their first new studio album in over 25 years, Part Two - The Endless Not which was followed later that year by TGV, a live DVD box set featuring 10 full shows - most never-before-seen - ranging from the fascinating beginnings in 1979 through to the notorious RE~TG 're-grouping' 23 years later at London's Astoria and three further European shows.

2008 saw the reactivation of Industrial Records and the release of Thirty-Second Annual Report, a reinterpretation of The Second Annual Report recorded at La Villette in Paris, 30 years after its original release and available on download and as a special edition vinyl, pre-framed and limited to 777 copies.

Tickets for the NYC show are going to sell out. All dates below...

Throbbing Gristle - 2009 Tour Dates
4/16/09 MASONIC HALL - BROOKLYN, NEW YORK
4/19/09 COACHELLA - INDIO, CA
4/21/09 UCLA - LOS ANGELES, CA **
4/23/09 GRAND REGENCY BALLROOM - SAN FRANCISCO, CA
4/25/09 EPHIPHANY EPISCOPAL - CHICAGO, IL
**"In The Shadow Of The Sun" soundtrack performance only

I love how all the hipsters pretend like they real give a shit (or even know) about this band. It is mostly noise and I am sure it will be lame considering the band is now old fucks. Look at that photo???

Cmon people!

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2009 2:08 PM

2:08 = weak, insecure, frustrated.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2009 2:11 PM

2:08, you're referring to yourself with your first sentence.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2009 2:15 PM

this is so Rolling Stones...

Posted by AB:art:IG | February 4, 2009 2:16 PM

Pass

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2009 2:17 PM

Best band EVAHH! Holla at me for free tix!

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2009 2:38 PM

"It is mostly noise"

HAhahahaha!!

Posted by Lori | February 4, 2009 2:56 PM

WHEN IS BOYZ 2 MEN GOING TO ANNOUNCE THEIR TOUR!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2009 3:17 PM

sorry, WHEN ARE BOYZ 2 MEN GOING TO ANNOUNCE THEIR TOUR!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2009 3:18 PM

Their new material since reforming in 2004, while certainly not their best work, has been surprisingly good. They haven't been trying to merely replicate their old sound, but have actually been trying out new things.

NYC and Chicago are incredibly lucky to get the "Shadow of the Sun" performances as well. This is a phenomenal soundtrack, and it should be a really great show.

for anybody even somewhat interested in Wolf Eyes and all of the other recent noise-rock groups... this is really where it started- and it arguably never got any better!

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2009 3:23 PM

These guys sound like Autobahn!

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2009 3:27 PM

"Not sure how the shows will be, but this is INCREDIBLY exciting news. I have loved this band since I was in high school- not even close to early enough to have seen them back in the day, but I have still been listening for a long time!

"

Whatevah

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2009 3:28 PM

Brooklyn vegan's comment mechanism sucks.

Does every brooklyn vegan thread need to start with some one going "wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Some one call the whambulance! I can't hear about anything that is not on the master music list regulated by my friends and David Byrne and Vice and the jerks at Earwax and David Fricke and Pitchfork! You know the one that judges all music on a scale of 1-10 based on musical relevance and subjective personal relevance to David Byrne's solo work?"

Posted by j | February 4, 2009 3:37 PM

"Brooklyn vegan's comment mechanism sucks.

"

Shut up

ps - not saying SHUT UP!!!, kinda saying it very casually and bascially blowing you off.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2009 3:46 PM

wow. a signing? that's pretty awesome. I wonder if I'll have time to ask a question. I'd be at a loss as to what exactly to ask, though...

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2009 6:26 PM

pushing your own merch is really sticking it to the industry

what revolutionaries

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2009 8:45 PM

Yeah when I think about Throbbing Gristle, I immediately think about autographed merchandise.

Posted by Anonymous | February 4, 2009 11:48 PM

yeah, it's a really odd thing for them to do. wonder if they'll spin it some way. like sign stuff with bodily fluids.

Posted by Anonymous | February 5, 2009 12:01 AM

That chick in the nurse uniform is smoking hot yo!

Posted by Anonymous | February 5, 2009 12:19 PM

fuck yeah!

Posted by Anonymous | February 5, 2009 5:53 PM

LOL that "hot' nurse is Genesis P'Orridge. Pandrogyn, cultural engineer and once Cosi Fan Tutti's boyfriend.

Posted by nothing istrue | March 22, 2009 9:35 PM

the chick in the nurse's uniform has a penis, enjoy!

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2009 10:42 PM

just did

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2009 10:54 PM

for thos who think they suck crap, its cos u dont know anything about their viscosity and history and art. yung peeple suck.

Posted by kataract | April 19, 2009 9:25 PM

I can't believe sunny day real estate got back together. I love Jeremy Enigck. It's about time they shortened their name as well!

Posted by Lingerie | September 20, 2009 1:32 PM

Music is a man of wisdom, human solidarity, to a world of music to the joy and gladness. the great musician was an indelible contributions to mankind, heard the music makes people easy to think of the great Michael Jackson, the fine as the voice of God give the wounded in the soul. we thank him, and will always love him

Posted by http://www.sexy-yuans.com/ | August 20, 2010 11:42 PM

Julian Cope on Mac:

"I gots to tell y’all that when I heard the other day that the Bunnymen’s Ian McCulloch is writing his autobiography, I nearly shat my undies laughing so hard (good job I don’t wear any!); Ian Mac write a book? A man for whom completing a single song on his own is a struggle of Everest the Hard Way proportions is hardly going to write a book. Ian, I’m speechless at your continued arrogance in the face of no evidence whatsoever. In my opinion, you’ve been a dried-up shell of a husk of a man since just after OCEAN RAIN, so don’t embarrass us all with your ludicrous claims that you’re gonna write an autobiography. Two words… No Way. Writing a book involves discipline and hard work, two things you never nailed in the past and never will. As I heard it, you even said in the press that your book will be better than the Bible. Well, in two ways it may well be like the Bible: 1) it’ll be full of half-truths and outright lies, and 2) it’ll have been written by umpteen uncredited writers and you’ll name yourself solely as its author. There you go, dumkopf, I just handed you the map: don’t even bother buying yourself a pen, son; just do what you’ve always done throughout your career; get someone else to do most of the work then claim all the credit yourself. I even have a title already: MAC USER. And with that, I shall sweep off into the Beltane sunset. Yowzah!"

Posted by Youtubena | October 26, 2010 7:24 PM

Wonderful post and the location is beautiful and elegant in design and information and everything>>> to Favorites
Amazing is an enormous understatement. One of the best electronic shows I've ever been to and I've seen well over a thousand concerts. I had no idea Vladislav Delay was as good a drummer & percussionist as he is- fabulous and he kept everything swinging with a very unique style of playing. If you missed this you missed out big time...
===================