Posted in music | pictures on March 25, 2009

photos by Lori Baily

AIDS Wolf

AZNightBuzz: You play with the U.S. Girls as well as some other great bands every place you visit. Who are you most excited about seeing?

Aids Wolf: Well, we've already played with U.S. Girls, Can't and Sightings, three acts we were most stoked to play with. We are also salivating for Love Tan, Mayor Daley, Puffy Areolas, PRE, Gay Beast, Shearing Pinx, Dead Machines, The Mayyors and Death Sentence: PANDA! We're really pretty excited for all our bills, playing with bands we are friends with and/or fans of is really important to us. Getting to see the bands we like is one of the things that make touring worthwhile.

Who are you listening to on tour?

Aids Wolf: Thee Oh Sees, Ornette Coleman, ZZ Top, Captain Beefheart, some sweet Balinese classical music, Babe Ruth, Ennio Morricone, Walter Wegmuller, U.S. Girl Meghan talking about eating meat and the sounds of Bob Gainey crying.

Death By Audio hosted Aids Wolf ,U.S. Girls, Sightings, Fiasco, and Talk Normal on Wednesday night, March 11th. That was before all or most of those bands headed from Brooklyn to Austin for SXSW. More pictures from the NYC show below...

US Girls...

Talk Normal

Talk Normal

Talk Normal

Talk Normal

Talk Normal

Talk Normal

Fiasco (and Bruno Wizard of the Homosexuals)...

Fiasco

Fiasco

Fiasco

Fiasco

Fiasco

Fiasco

Fiasco

AIDS Wolf...

thats a scary bitch

Posted by ! | March 25, 2009 8:36 PM

not hip enough for me!

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2009 8:38 PM

lol at the homeless-heroin-hipster.

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2009 8:53 PM

ugly frenchie!

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2009 9:15 PM

something interesting to see and read !

Posted by monique | March 25, 2009 9:22 PM

Dude in Sightings (whoever they are) has a sweet bass. Telecaster bass?

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2009 10:08 PM

fiasco were terrible at this show and were totally the odd man out. wait, they're always terrible and the odd man out.

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2009 10:28 PM

yes, telecaster bass. and that looks like an old Ampeg V4 stack to me.

Good stuff, the guy from The Walkmen has a similar setup going, methinks.

The only bitch about those tele basses is the cheap-ass 2 piece bridge.

Posted by dan | March 25, 2009 10:35 PM

Posted by Anonymous | March 25, 2009 10:57 PM

sometimes guitars are more important that housing and food.

Posted by 1 | March 25, 2009 11:35 PM

Well Fiasco is fucking aweesome but the next time I hear the words "aids" and "wolf" together I went it to be in the sentence "Aids Wolf promises to have some sort of worth beyond "potential nude girl"".

Posted by j | March 26, 2009 12:35 AM

What the fuck. I want to hear comments from people who were actually at the show, besides the fiasco hater.

Fiasco are fucking amazing, super talented guys who play really well and put on a great show.

AIDS Wolf were fantastic and incendiary, I *still* have remnants of bruises acquired during their set.

Talk Normal put on the best show I have seen from them so far, they create such a strong mood and their no-bullshit artistic energy is contagious.

I love shooting shows and I will continue to shoot shows as long as I live in a city where musicians play, but I will always hate the majority of fuckers who post on here.

Seriously - if it makes you so happy to be sarcastic on a website, go for it. But next time you go to a show (assuming you do), walk up to that musician who sleeps on peoples' floors when they tour, who barely has enough money to pay their rent - yeah probably because they buy expensive equipment in order to achieve the sound they want - and tell them "Hey man, you're fucking ugly and your band sucks."

Posted by Lori | March 26, 2009 12:57 AM

Well shit, in my tirade I forgot Sightings - I've shot them a number of times now and I was so happy they were on this bill.

The guys in Sightings are so devoted to their music they seem to disappear into it, to enter into a trancelike state.

Anyway my cat is annoyed that I'm typing so much.

Posted by Lori | March 26, 2009 1:06 AM

AND U.S. Girls. First time I have seen her, her focus and emotion were stunning. Really this was one of the best shows I've seen in so long.

Also it was super fun to see Bruno Wizard :)

Posted by Lori | March 26, 2009 1:09 AM

I agree with everything lori said. except that I agree with one of the commentators above- Fiasco were the odd man out at this show. not that they were terrible or anything, they were good, just that i dont think they fit in on this bill with the other acts. but they seemed like very nice dudes. their moms bringing cup cakes for everyone was a nice touch and i wish them luck in their future endeavors.

and yes, Talk Normal destroyed, they were fucking amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 1:16 AM

Whoz Black Flaggerzz?

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 1:37 AM

Talk Normal and U.S. Girls were outstanding. the rest were just fine. it was a fun show.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 1:47 AM

Okay. Thank You.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 1:51 AM

Why didn't you take any pictures of death by audio? Were they good?

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 2:44 AM

What's with the candles? Was it someone's birthday?

P.S. Lori, please post photos of your kitteh. :)

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 3:03 AM

dats a lot of cameras on the chick in purple

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 3:26 AM

i wanna see her put her fist in her mouth

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 9:10 AM

how the fuck did they come up with the name AIDS wolf?

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 9:22 AM

google it

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 9:51 AM

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 9:58 AM

2:44 - death by audio is the venue.

Posted by Indie Rock Sucks | March 26, 2009 10:13 AM

"Hey man, you're fucking ugly and your band sucks."

that's seriously so funny. I tell that to all of my favorite performers...lest they forget.

Posted by Sacred Absolute Hipster Cow | March 26, 2009 10:33 AM

haven't seen US Girls live yet, but their recordings are fantastic

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 10:41 AM

hahahaha Sacred. I like to tell people that too as they punch my face.

Posted by Indie Rock Sucks | March 26, 2009 10:43 AM

US Girls is just one person, she does everything.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 10:43 AM

"you know what was cool about this show, it was pitch black in there (except for 2 red lamps) and camera peoples flashes going off, like strobe lights."

Oh so that's why it looks like they're playing in a Columbian interrogation room! Jeez I was about to rethink my 'you know I've gotta go see a show at DBA already' New Year's resolution. Well at least flash technology hasn't dumbed photographers down to the point where they completely disregard mood and atmosphere in order to more clearly see what color tights AIDS Wolf's singer is wearing.

Posted by blinded by the light | March 26, 2009 11:19 AM

oh and i'm sure someone will come with the, "yeah it's practically pitch black, how are you supposed to photograph do you even know about cameras!?' to me, the answer is that in these cases, you're supposed to just come and enjoy the show. people love artificially changing their environment to suit their shitty and inconsequental ends, and many times, ironically, at the expense of what they're trying to capture. we are the most documented generation in history; sometimes it's ok if you leave your slr at home, homie.

Posted by blinded | March 26, 2009 11:26 AM

to be honest i think the photogs flashes do add to the drama of a show like this. going to a show and there's like 5 people in the audience, now that is depressing...

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 11:40 AM

TA LK NO RM AL !!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 11:53 AM

Lori, Some of these people are pretty rich and they're just slummin' it so you'll think they're cool. I guess it's working.

It's fine to like whatever you like, but to put them on a pedestal and act like they're martyrs for their art or something? I mean, seriously, they couldn't even be bothered to learn how to play.

Posted by Rita | March 26, 2009 11:54 AM

"Tele bass? SVTs? Rickenbacker guitar? I thought DIY was supposed to be about cheap instruments. Are they trust funders?"

yeah and that one kid in Fiasco is Steve Buscemi's son...he's got mad Con Air loot.

Posted by Indie Rock Sucks | March 26, 2009 2:20 PM

aids wolf was awesome. i missed fiasco. i took good pictures of the show.

Posted by dick | March 26, 2009 9:20 PM