Posted in music | tour dates on March 2, 2009

Andrew Bird @ MHOW (more by Kyle Dean Reinford)
Andrew Bird

Let's re-quote something Andrew Bird told the NY Times for a second...

Bird's publicist had wanted him to play one of the first shows on his coming tour at Radio City Music Hall (capacity: 6,000). Bird was concerned that it was too big a venue, that he might fail to make a connection with the audience and that things could easily spiral downward from there. They compromised on Carnegie Hall, which seats about 3,000.
I guess that Carnegie Hall show, not to mention the also-sold-out show in Brooklyn the same week, went so well that they are no longer afraid. Andrew Bird will headline Radio City Music Hall on June 18th. As as added super-bonus, Calexico will be the opener. $34.50 - $44.50 tickets go on sale Friday at noon.

Calexico will also be in NYC in March to play the REM tribute at Carnegie Hall, and a show at the new City Winery with Keren Ann.

The Radio City show is one of five new, June dates that Bird is playing around the time of Bonnaroo (that he is also playing). One of the other new dates is with The Decemberists at Merriweather Post Pavilion in MD. That show is currently on presale. Andrew is also scheduled to be at SXSW in March and a whole bunch of other places between now and June. New dates below...

Andrew Bird - new June 2009 Tour Dates

Oh fuck yes.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 4:42 PM

6 dayes - c'mon thats no tour

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 5:05 PM

play CT for once please

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 5:24 PM

i just pooped on my balls.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 5:26 PM

$34.50 - $44.50 for three hours sleep is a bargain these days.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 5:28 PM

Serious question - why is it that the larger the venue, the more expensive the ticket prices? For Andrew Bird, RCMH tickets > Carnegie Hall tickets > MHOW tickets. Seems like it should be the other way around.

Also, while I love Andrew Bird, I think Radio City will swallow him up. Can't imagine this show from anywhere near the back.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 5:34 PM

5:34pm....I believe the answer to your question is it costs more money to book larger venues such as Radio City or MSG. So in order to make up for those costs, promoters, workers, $10 mix drinks/food (while MHOW charges $6 for mix drinks?) and etc.

P.S. Very excited for this show! Great opener as well....Calexico = wonderful

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | March 2, 2009 5:43 PM

larger halls probably have unionized stage hands...costs go up for everyone...

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 5:58 PM

The Music Hall of Williamsburg show was spectacular, but Carnegie was less enthralling. The seats might sell, but Andrew loses his character in the larger venues.

I'm a NYC native but I'd go all the way to Canada to see him in a general admission show over a seated show at RCMH.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 8:23 PM

did he even sell out carnegie hall?

Posted by skeptic | March 2, 2009 8:30 PM

Carnegie Hall was VERY sold out.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 8:51 PM

Posted by In the know | March 2, 2009 8:59 PM

"Over SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS a show at Radio City goes to the UNION STAGE HANDS who sit around doing nothing. The stagehands at Radio City make more than the bands. Hence the ticket price"

Source for the $60,000 figure, please? The second part of your statement is false, as Andrew Bird will be making more than $60,000 for this show.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 9:11 PM

You guys know nothing

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 9:35 PM

us guys know EVERYTHING.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 10:01 PM

>>Over SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS a show at Radio City goes to the UNION STAGE HANDS who sit around doing nothing. The stagehands at Radio City make more than the bands. Hence the ticket price"

you are both wrong...

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 10:13 PM

How much will Bird make for this show? If the average ticket price is $40, and Radio City holds 6,000 people, that's $240,000. Won't Bird take home at least $60,000? Seems that he would.

Posted by Anonymous | March 2, 2009 11:43 PM

who knows how much the venue takes from that...there is merch to figure in to though, and openers...i don't know really
imagine if pitchfork allowed anonymous commenting though, ha ha ha

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2009 12:12 AM

I was also both at Carnegie and Music Hall shows. The person who said that Music Hall show was better and he would travel to Canada for a general admission show is out of his mind. While I had a good time at both, Music Hall show could not hold a candle to the Carnegie one. Of course you might have had a better time at Music Hall if you had the worst seats at Carnegie.

Andrew has a bigger following than most would think, but he won't sell out Radio City without a lot of free tickets being handed out.

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2009 12:15 AM

He looks like Taylor Hicks

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2009 7:48 AM

He looks like his head is getting sucked into that speaker thing.

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2009 8:55 AM

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2009 10:09 AM

I still want to know how much he is taking home for this show.

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2009 10:48 AM

"Folks looking to check out the Radio City show, take note: his last two NYC shows featured almost entirely new songs. He only played four songs from old albums, and only one song from Armchair. I was at Carnegie and I was pretty disappointed."

yes, but the new album is awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2009 10:55 AM

"I still want to know how much he is taking home for this show."

An artist's guarantee is privileged information. I bet Dosh doesn't even know (or care) about the numbers.

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2009 11:24 AM

missed those other shows, so hoping to get into this one

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2009 11:54 AM

Venerable old theaters in NYC, like Carnegie Hall and Radio City, are union houses. It costs a fortune to put on a show in venues like these. Depending on the production costs inherent to the performance, artists sometimes lose money even when they sell out the house. I think the point is to do something special, not to rake in a lot of money. If Andrew Bird and Calexico wanted to make a lot of money, they would play a large club or ballroom and cut out the middle men. They could make more money playing to 1500 people in a ballroom then they could playing to 5000 people in a large venue like Radio City.

Also, if you check setlists from the latter half of the current tour, you'll see he's playing a lot more old stuff at this point. And it's true: Noble Beast is a great album. I WANT to hear it live!

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2009 2:35 PM

Seriously, does it even matter what Andrew Bird takes home at the end of the day? Would you divulge that information to him if he came into your office and asked what your salary is? Dude is an amazing performer, has put on a spectacular show each of the three times I've seen him, and I look forward to adding this fourth to that number. Yeah, personally I also prefer the intimacy of smaller rooms, but again, the man is ridiculously talented, and I'll go see him pretty much however he wants to play.

Posted by Anonymous | March 3, 2009 2:44 PM

I actually just saw him in Denver, CO, at a small place there, and it was TOO small. The music was cramped. When I saw him at Tanglewood last summer, outdoors, huge stage, it was gorgeous. And I was on the lawn. I think Radio City will be perfect.

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2009 1:30 PM

CHECK OUT THE VILE PROFITEERING ON CRAIGSLIST:

This poster says:

"I have 12 orchestra tickets to Andrew Bird at Radio City on June 18th. ... I'm holding onto 3. If you're serious about purchasing, let me know how many you'd like and how much you're willing to pay. I'm looking for at least $100 for each ticket."

So this person is actually going to the concert but grabbed NINE extra tickets to make some bucks? I don't think these tickets cost him/her $100.

Scalpers are bad enough but this is creepy

Posted by david z | March 5, 2009 3:18 PM

maybe he grabbed 1 ticket and made 8 copies?

Posted by Anonymous | March 5, 2009 3:26 PM

i don't have an office.

Posted by Anonymous | March 5, 2009 7:39 PM

i wonder if ticketmaster has reached a new low.

TM just emailed with news that calexico's june 18 show at RCMH go on sale tomorrow ... no mention of andrew bird ... no qualifying that calexico is the opener, not the headliner .. the email touts the event as a "calexico" show ...

could it be that TM, knowing that once upon a time i purchased tickets to a calexico headliner show thru TM, is misrepresenting the june 18 show as a "calexico show" and not an "andrew bird" show, in order to falsely induce me into buying tickets?

is it kosher to advertise this as a "calexico" show?

Posted by eli | March 5, 2009 10:05 PM

I think that the Andrew Bird show in Radio City Music Hall will be great! - a larger venue will most likely have great acoustics - I saw him at the civic opera house in chicago which was sold out and the acoustics were great! i've seen him 4 times now and that was by far the best! although it is a larger venue the encasement creates great acoustics - there was a level of volume i didn't think was capable in a music venue! (and i've been to a lot of concerts and operas and ballets, etc)
plus as someone mentioned, he's playing greaaaaat songs at these concerts - a lot of older things that i've always wanted to hear as well as a lot of music from the new album which really comes to life in a live setting as opposed to the album, which i also enjoy

anyways, i know a lot of people going to the Radio City Music Hall concert who are very very excited - I don't think it'll be a flop at all - in fact I think it'll be rather amazing!

Posted by Lindsay | May 25, 2009 8:12 PM

who knows what time either calexico or a bird are going on stage? it's always so hard to find out.

'sgonna be gooood!

Posted by andrew | June 16, 2009 8:21 PM

doors at 7
calexico at 8
brief intermission...then Andrew Bird

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2009 9:45 PM

that sounds like a good guess. can i ask where you got this info/hypothesis?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2009 10:01 AM

Those set times sound right - similar to the Decemberists/Robyn Hitchcock set times last week.

It's raining below-cost tickets on Craigslist. Grab a pair for a great double-bill tonight. Just be careful, some politicians would like you to think that ticket reselling is against the law.

Posted by drewo | June 18, 2009 10:25 AM

i got that info from radio city...they actually sent me an email a few days ago. not from ticketmaster, but radio city

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2009 6:32 PM

hallo calexico fans!!

meine calexico tickets habe ich bei fanfusion.de gekauft!!

bei fanfusion.de kriegt ihr noch karten für calexico!!

viel spass!!

Posted by Calexico karten | August 10, 2009 2:06 PM

yes, but the new album is awesome.

Posted by Stephenvhe | January 8, 2013 1:00 PM