Posted in music | pictures on March 28, 2009

photos by Faith-Ann Young

Bloc Party

"Well, moving on from the horrid location of Terminal 5 (no STRAIGHT bars around either) the actual inside of the place is pretty big. I wished that we had seated tickets but that was also because I was tired of walking. We drank the 6$ beers and I even bought shots at the bar for me and the woman. She got too drunk, AGAIN and wanted to sit down. I got her candy from the bathroom hoping the sugar would keep her up but it didn't. The bathrooms were amazing, they had all this candy, cologne, mints, hair gel, deodorant. After I peed, I go to wash my hands and the guy put soap in my hands and got me enough paper towels to dry my hands. I didn't have to touch anything. Then I spritzed some Dolce and Gabana "Light Blue" and I tipped the guy a couple of dollars. I was satisfied.

As for the actual Bloc Party show, they played everything." [Logic]

Right before Kele contracted viral pharyngitis which in turn caused the cancellation of Saturday's Bloc Party show at the Ultra Music Festival in Florida, the UK band stopped in NYC to play two nights in a row at Terminal 5 with opener Longwave. More pictures from the Wednesday night show (3/25), including one of Bloc Party's setlist, below...

Longwave...

Longwave

Longwave

Longwave

Longwave

Longwave

Longwave

Longwave

Longwave

Longwave

Bloc Party...

setlist

sweet review...

Posted by Anonymous | March 28, 2009 9:07 PM

seriously... that was a great review.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 12:18 AM

you blow off WMC for Terminal 5? not me

Posted by ROCK STARchitect | March 29, 2009 1:04 AM

thought these guys had proven themselves irrelevant with two terrible albums following the good debut, guess not?

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 11:32 AM

wish i would've went to this

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 12:13 PM

11:32,

Really? If you liked Silent Alarm I can't imagine how you couldn't find something to enjoy about the last two

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 12:13 PM

it's trendy to say that bloc party has only one good album. all these assholes who say that are lame. Form your own opinions. As a whole, SIlent Alarm is their best album but their are a lot of great songs on the other two. Just listen and you'll know.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 12:26 PM

Even looking at photos of T5 makes me cringe.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 12:36 PM

omg yes, what a great review of the bathrooms at T5. I am so fucking thankful I am not that guy. Youve got to go to his site, it gets so much better. "My name is Logic. I'm trying to be a writer/comedian". Well I'm laughing baby, I'm laughing!

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 12:59 PM

Someone clue me in on whether the review is legit? Can't imagine an asshole like that really exists . . .

This comedy thing is stretching my mind and politics . . .

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 1:01 PM

wow, they had a pretty different set lists the first night.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 1:01 PM

I hate Terminal 5, so I showed up late happening to miss the opening bands. Was there only one? Saw half of Longwave's set, and they were really good. Much better than other bands I have seen open for BP.

BP were really good. The latest album might not be "as good" as the debut, but it's lots better than the second album. I wasn't expecting such a long encore.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 2:44 PM

That review pretty much sums up my night.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 2:57 PM

I was there, and thought the show was pretty crap. The soundboard guy had a major screw up on Like Eating Glass, which cut out both guitars to leave only bass drums and vocals going. There were several instances of pre-recorded tracks being used, little improvisation from how the songs are on the album, and Kele in general behaving like a hostile egoist. The show had a pretty corporate vibe - way too many models and popped collars walking around.

Having them play at Terminal 5 probably contributed to this rather sharp perception ... seems like the last venue stop for all our favorite bands to become unreachably and inaccessibly popular. Next stop, Nokia Theatre, then MSG.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 5:09 PM

In the battle for worst NYC venue does BV vote for Terminal 5 or Nokia Theater?

That venue is one of the only reasons NOT to see Bloc Party live...

Posted by BTW | March 30, 2009 9:13 AM

I thought the show was good. The sounds was good for the most part. I stood up front, was in the mood to dance and have some fun. But then 2 kids started a mosh of sorts. Pissed me off for about 20 minutes until I realized I am ruining my own evening by being sour about it. Moral of the story is, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

About 50 people around me had the same initial reaction to these kids and then we all joined in. If you don't like pushing and shoving then don't stand up front I say. And I loved the fact that Kele kept the crowd going strong until the last minute (e.g. "Anger is management, so let your anger out" etc etc).

Terminal 5 is an OK venue, only sucky aspect is its on the edge of the universe, ie. near 12th avenue. I saw Modest Mouse there about a week or so prior, and the crowd wasn't nearly as fun but they show was lovely as they played all the old goodies! But I must say that I am glad my next show is much closer to my Greenpoint home- Music Hall of Williamsburg for Mates of State/Black Kids on 4/5.

Posted by Liz | March 30, 2009 11:35 AM

It wasn't the soundboard guy's fault, I saw a girl in the VIP section on the third floor knock a beer over the ledge. It drenched the soundboard, which resulted in the guitar cutting out.

I thought the show was amazing and I had a great time. I see myself in some of the pictures too.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 9:18 PM

i actually went to the concert on wed. night and it was absolutely out of this world, it makes the all the cds sound so wimpy compared to the live show. his voice was right on mark along with everything else, if they ever come back you have to go see them. i was on the 2nd tier because there was so many freaking people their, i didnt even notice the 3rd floor wtf lol, but longwave were terrible, so many ppl kept shouting out bloc party when they were up, felt kinda of bad

Posted by danny | March 31, 2009 6:13 PM

"kele acting like a egoist"

I saw them at webster hall last year and they were good.
I thought that it was just me that thought he was kind of a dick.

Posted by mike flood | April 1, 2009 4:18 PM

Is Terminal 5 kind of a night club or is it really a terminal in an airport, where these events take place.

Posted by Suzanne M. Spurlock | January 19, 2011 10:20 AM