Posted in comedy | music | pictures on March 20, 2009

photos by Tim Griffin

DOWNLOAD: John Wesley Harding and Eugene Mirman's Cabinet of Wonders w/ special guests - Oh! Pandora (MP3)

John Wesley Harding

At Le Poisson Rouge[on March 11th], the Cabinet of Wonders show unfolded with an appealing airiness and a confident sort of self-deprecation. Mr. Whitehead read an essay in which the narrator encouraged T.S. Eliot's character J. Alfred Prufrock to lighten up. While reading from a novel in which he fictionalized the life of Rudolf Nureyev, Mr. McCann plugged in Mr. Harding's name for one of his characters. Ms. Wallen's performance of her suite for children, text by Mr. Harding, was a delight, and Ms. Cash's reading from her memoir contained a touching passage about her late father, Johnny Cash. She sang a few songs with her characteristic perceptive grace.

A spoof by the new duo of Harding and Mirman of Simon & Garfunkel's "Mrs. Robinson" gave the evening its touch of vaudeville. The song concluded with the comedian unleashing wild feedback-like squeals via a handheld oscillator that let him play the rock star for a few seconds. Mr. Mirman glowed with glee, as did Mr. Harding, who stepped back to enjoy the inspired silliness. The audience roared in delight.-[Wall Street Journal]

John Wesley Harding's Cabinet of Wonders has been working through its three-show Le Poisson Rouge engagement plus tour. The first show took place on February 11th, and on March 11th, JWH and friends (Rosanne Cash, Colson Whitehead, Colum McCann, Errollyn Wallen, and tour-regular Eugene Mirman) returned to the venue (more pics below).

Tonight (3/20), the traveling revue hits SXSW, with a show at Maggie Mae's.

Then "Wes & Eugene's Cabinet of Wonders" tour heads across the US, before a final show at LPR on April 15th (feat. guests Graham Parker, Josh Ritter, Eugene Mirman, Daniel Wallace, Dan John Miller, Sam Lipsyte, Daniel Felsenfeld). Tickets are still on sale.

More pictures from the March 11th show, below...

John Wesley Harding

I'm posting this here because apparently slagging off horseshit bands like Ida Maria is not allowed. Is BV on the payroll and in the business of censorship now?

"Your comment submission failed for the following reasons:

Comments are not allowed on this entry."

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2009 10:46 AM

Speaking of Coachella...MIA just took over Amy Winehouse's spot...MEH!

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2009 10:49 AM

What's the point of slagging off bands if it has no constructive ends? You just like to sit behind a keyboard and bitch and spread bile all over the internet? Way to live.

That pic of Eugene and JWH is incredible!

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2009 10:51 AM

Actually, ALL the pics are great. Tim's best set to date, for sure

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2009 10:55 AM

Wow, Eugene is a really good looking guy.

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2009 11:11 AM

10:51 - It only does about 1/3s worth of justice to seeing it in person. Eugene and Wes were really having a great time.

10:55 - Aww shucks. Thanks for saying so. :) I guess this means eventually there will be a comment labeling my 'worst set'. I'll remember this set, then. :P

If you get a chance in April (Tax Day, I think - the 15th), it's a fun show. Eugene was friggin hilarious with a bit about Delta airlines and so much else... even the LPR staff were chortling. JWH is a huge bucket of good humored charm, and the rest of the Cabinet (which changes) were great too.

Posted by Tim | March 20, 2009 11:18 AM

yeah 10:46, because we need to read more comments here about how "I'd hit it", or Tom Yaps, or about Daft Punk. That really furthers the discussion.

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2009 11:22 AM

10:51, the point is that Ida Maria are garbage. Not really anything 'constructive' can be said or done because that would be like polishing a turd.

The fact that mall punk like them can be featured on this site is distressing giving the influence BV has, that's all.

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2009 11:44 AM

good point, 11:22.

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2009 11:44 AM

These pics are great. And the show was incredible too. Great memories. Great pics. Thanks for them!

Posted by Jenny | March 20, 2009 11:52 AM

Great shots! What gear were you shooting with?

Posted by PG | March 20, 2009 12:08 PM

I just submitted a goofy comment on the Ida Maria post and it was posted without delay.

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2009 12:50 PM

12:08 - Thanks!

Gear: 2 Sony a700s with assorted prime lenses: 100 f/2, 85 f/1.4, 50 f/1.4, 35 f/2, and a 16 f/2.8 Fisheye (which on APS-C acts as a wide lens). All that stuffed into a Tamrac Velocity 8x shoulder pack, with some spare batteries, lens cloths, assorted crap, lots of earplugs, and gum. :)

Tim

Posted by Tim | March 20, 2009 12:56 PM

Well, you use it all well!

I am just starting out, got my first DSLR (Nikon D80) just in January. Never knew I had a thing for photography until I started shooting and posting every single day last Feb.

Posted by PG | March 20, 2009 3:31 PM

ewwww, first picture, what the hell is that?!

Posted by Anonymous | March 20, 2009 4:45 PM

Echoing the comments about the pictures - they are fantastic. Kudos, Tim.

Posted by Anonymous | March 21, 2009 10:48 PM

this was a great show, definitely try to go to the last one at lpr! more shows need to be like this with all kinds of different acts - lpr seems like the perfect place for it

Posted by Anonymous | March 23, 2009 6:52 PM

I miss JWH when it was just him, his guitar and a concise clever point. He was very good at that. He was a very inspired songwriter. I understand all too-well that it's all about networking and gee we're all friends after all, but...well, I saw him a few years ago and I was actually embarrassed. It was basically an-overly ambitious folk "hey gang - let's do the show right here!" sort of perennially Freshman year of a performance. I went to see the one-time folk aire to the throne of Elvis Costello put on an awful self-indulgent apparently-I-have-literary-aspirations performance which inspired little more than polite applause.

He doesn't need all these various cabaret acts. He doesn't need to compromise his own performance for trivial would-be stand-up comedy. It brings nothing to the table and is in no way clever. Whereas John Wesley Harding does and is.

Posted by Bill Wikstrom | April 4, 2009 3:22 AM

As a JWH fan, I have to say I think that last comment is ludicrous, Bill. JWH plays solo and acoustic, or duo and acoustic, for about, i would guess, 90% of his shows. To criticize him for doing a set of shows that try something slightly different is pathetic and ungenerous.

I'd love to know what performance you are talking about "a few years ago" because I would say that it never happened. Where was it? I'm a big fan and am not aware of his having done any cabaret shows of this type before. Unless you're talking about the fact that he is also a best-selling novelist with your "apparently-I-have-literary-aspirations" jibe.

A very weird message. I would bet you haven't even seen one of these performances. JWH isn't the "aire" to anything, whatever your preconceptions. The shows, and I am way more interested in Wes than anyone else on the bill, are fantastic.

Posted by DougF | April 8, 2009 12:04 PM

great pics, surely knows how to utilize ones DSLR fo' sure.

Posted by Online Nursing Degree Programs | July 22, 2009 5:25 PM

Nice photos, thanks!
Harding is Johnny Cash's outlaw figure, "he was never known to hurt an honest man" folk-hero of a different kind, John Wesley Harding"a friend to the poor."

Posted by Online Nursing Graduate | November 30, 2009 10:14 AM

Nice fotos nice band really attractive and much more like the people

Posted by Soma No Prescription | December 19, 2009 10:11 AM

Hahaha I loved the first picture too!! I smell a profile pic!

Posted by John Tanner | March 30, 2011 2:28 PM

Yes, I agree. Nice pictures. I wish I could live a life like this!

Posted by Music and Singing Salary | April 17, 2011 7:06 AM

Great collection of photos. Looks like it was an incredible event to have experienced live. Thanks for sharing!

Posted by Washington RN | August 23, 2011 12:43 PM

Holy cow! This looks like such a fun event! And Live? Can it get better!?!

Posted by LPN Program | March 13, 2013 5:31 PM