Posted in music | tour dates on March 14, 2009

M Ward @ the Apollo Theater (more by Jacob Blickenstaff)
M Ward

Thanks to a blurb in the NY Times (thx danny), the list of bands we know that are playing Central Park Summerstage in NYC this year just got bigger. Check it out the full list below...

Central Park Summerstage, NYC, 2009
Jun 05 - TV on the Radio (SOLD OUT)
Jun 12 - New York Pops (free)
Jun 17 - Wally Lamb reading (free)
Jun 21 - Yannick Noah (free)
Jun 30 - Explosions in the Sky (TICKETS ON SALE NOW)
Jul 05 - Oumou Sangare (from Mali) (free)
Jul 18 - Dobet Gnahore (from Africa) (free?)
Jul 24 - Bettye LaVette (free)
Aug 01 - M Ward (free)
Aug 14 - dance program with Morphoses/the Wheeldon Company (free)
Aug 15 - dance program with Morphoses/the Wheeldon Company (free)

PREVIOUSLY: Who is playing Summerstage & Celebrate Brooklyn in 2009?

what is yannick noah going to do? demonstrate his overhand lob?

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2009 7:10 PM

311/Ziggy Marley on June 25th.

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2009 10:49 PM

You're sooooo witty, 7:10. Sarcasm aside, why didn't you just look him up on Wikipedia before demonstrating your ignorance? You would've found out he now has a career as a singer in France. Not that I knew that before consulting Wikipedia myself (much less being a fan of his); I just don't suffer fools like you gladly.

Posted by Jon Stewart | March 15, 2009 12:28 PM

excited for m. ward. but FREE??

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2009 5:10 PM

m. ward is Aug. 1st not the 4th

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2009 5:21 PM

I really wish that M Ward wasn't free. Too many casual fans and scenesters show up for free concerts. Much easier to pay a few dollars and have a better experience.

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2009 5:24 PM

psych ward >>>>>> M Ward

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2009 5:39 PM

is that Kris Kristofferson behind M. in the pic?

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2009 11:29 PM

dont know anything about yannik's music, but if its even remotely as smooth as his serve and volley game i'm a hug fan.

Posted by eddie beanbag | March 15, 2009 11:37 PM

you can pay a few dollars via donation at the m ward show!

Posted by Anonymous | March 15, 2009 11:40 PM

"you can pay a few dollars via donation at the m ward show"

You missed the point. It's not [just] about supporting the artists, it's about not having to deal with cheapskates.

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2009 12:11 AM

I totally agree. I rather pay to see M. at central park than share the experience with a lame overcrowded people who are just there because its a free show at central park.

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2009 11:37 AM

are you people out of your minds?

When you go to a free show at Central Park are you really thinking... "gee this is great... but it would be even better if I got to pay $40 to get in!".

Rarely are shows too overcrowded there. Neko Case was a breeze to get into a couple years ago. Same with Television, Rodrigo y Gabriela and Sharon Jones the last couple years. Those acts are all on the same level if not bigger than M Ward.

The only time I've ever seen a free show at Summerstage be too crazy to get into was VW last year... and really... who gives a shit about that one?

Posted by wembley | March 16, 2009 12:19 PM

M. Ward is blowing up- this new album is so good and alll over the radar- am i glad its free- HELL YEAH. am i looking forward to getting there way early- Hell No. "cheapskates". ha! Some of M Wards fans were hit by this economy and I think its a great thing that its free. so suck on this richie rich!

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2009 12:28 PM

I hope you are right about M. Ward blowing up. It seems I hear that every year though...I hope for Matt's sake it is true and there is a long line.

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2009 3:11 PM

Well, I'll be one of those cheapskates. Granted, I would pay for this show, but given the choice I definitely choose free. What sort of nutjob wouldn't? Oh yeah, a couple people above. How often do you get anything free nowadays, let alone an amazing live performance by one of your favorite musicians? Stop whining about the amount of people (including so-called 'cheapskates') and enjoy a few hours amongst a crowd of people who share a great taste in music.

Posted by Cheapskate | March 18, 2009 3:57 PM

I was just discussing this with a friend who is jobless for the last five months. Even he said he wished the show was not free. I am not saying I wish it was $40. It would be good if there was a $5-$10 mandatory donation. There are a lot of people in this city who would eat shit if they hear it was "free." These cheapskates, lowlives, whatever you want to call them make the experience worse for everyone else.

Also people tend to not realize if you have to go somewhere three hours early in order to be able to get in, it's not exactly free anymore. You can work somewhere for three hours and make enough money to go to the concert of your choice.

Posted by Anonymous | March 18, 2009 5:24 PM

you're missing the 311 and ziggy marley show at summerstage on june 25

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2009 3:35 AM

m.ward's smokey vocals totally trump john mayer's smokey vocals.

Posted by Tommy | April 3, 2009 4:25 PM

m ward sucks, but watt + cline should be great. i can leave early.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2009 5:46 PM

You could have been a sucker like me shelling out $40 to see him at the Apollo and have him play for only an hour with a bad sound system. I'm a fan and it blew! I'll take free any day!

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2009 4:26 PM

The Oumou Sangare show is with Bela Fleck, who, per his website, will also be joining Toumani Diabate on August 3 at "Summerfest" in Central Park.

Posted by Ben | April 20, 2009 2:03 PM

juana molina for free on july 8

Posted by joe | May 5, 2009 5:24 PM

M. Ward can't wait!!!!!!

Posted by Andrea | June 6, 2009 6:37 PM

m ward wouldnt attract so many scenesters if he didnt sell his music rights to starbucks and apple and become a commercial. if anyones to blame its him, not summerstage

Posted by jeremy | July 21, 2009 2:20 PM