Posted in music | pictures on March 26, 2009

photos by Tim Griffin

Morrissey

"Thought this was a really good show; but Morrissey did NOT seem to like the venue. Made a comment about his dressing room being "a closet and a bucket" and said early on in the show that a rat had fallen from the rafters and dropped on his head. Can kind of see his point; Webster's not very nice, but I thought it sounded really good. Crowd up front went pretty crazy during the encore; lots of people tried to get on stage, but only one made it as far as I can tell. Ten rows back from the front, on the left, was a psycho girl who picked a fight with another girl during "Seaside" (the most mellow song, which made their fighting that much more apparent) and she didn't let it go for the REST of the concert. Her boyfriend kept trying to contain her, but not much worked and this chick kept yelling things for the remainder. Outside, I saw her talking to her friends and being like, "Oh my god, can you BELIEVE those people?" But I had a good time; went alone, talked to some other people in line; good crowd; saw lots of young people which is nice (since I'm 39 and it's good to see Morrissey getting new, young fans). I thought the opening band was the best I'd ever seen at a Morrissey show. Compared to Phranc or the Planet Rockers from way back when, I thought the Courteeners were great; reminded me of Editors/The Futureheads. The only thing is that "How Soon is Now" is an amazing song on record, but live there's not much for the musicians to do. Boz spends most of his time just standing there. "Disco Dancer" ended in a total cacophony. Loved it. This was my tenth Morrissey show; was glad to finally get to double digits. Going to Carnegie tonight where, Morrissey said, if we try to move they'll cripple us. Oh well; we'll give it a go anyway." [Anonymous]
I didn't see the fight, but Tim said there was blood.

Morrissey plays his fourth and final NYC-area show on this tour, as stated above, tonight (3/26) at Carnegie Hall. Pictures and the setlist from Wellmont Theater HERE. Bowery Ballroom HERE. Webster Hall below...

Morrissey

Pictures and the setlist from Wellmont Theater HERE. Bowery Ballroom HERE.

Morrissey @ Webster Hall - March 25, 2009 (setlist)
This Charming Man
Billy Budd
Black Cloud
How Soon Is Now?
Irish Blood, English Heart
Let Me Kiss You
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?
Seasick, Yet Still Docked
Something Is Squeezing My Skull
I'm OK By Myself

encore:
First Of The Gang To Die

Excellent

Posted by citas | March 26, 2009 12:15 PM

Show was one of the best Moz shows I have seen ever - and thanks for pointing out the Courteneers, who are not world-beaters but miles above the Phranc days as you mention. Man that brings me back...

Set list was great but I was surprised he played so many Smiths songs and not many from his early solo career. Nothing from Viva Hate or any of the singles on Bona Drag? i'd prefer some of those to the now-obligatory "How Soon Is Now?" he seems to mechanistically perform.

But all said, great show, great sound and thankfully most of the folks around me were friendly, polite, and spending more time watching and enjoying the show than taking photos or text messaging their friends. Imagine that!

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 12:18 PM

I love Moz but those setlist are getting boring. Saw the same show in Montclair in Montclair. He does need to do some more earlier solo matieral. I am also supprised not one song of Ringleader!

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 12:21 PM

One other thing that surprised me was the unbridled enthusiasm the crowd showed for the "You Are the Quarry" songs, which is one of my favorite albums but I wouldn't think would have as much resonance as it seems to have had.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 12:21 PM

Moz can do no wrong, quite frankly. Except for some early crappy solo albums. But the man's still got it. And sweet button fly jeans.

Posted by Papa Shango | March 26, 2009 12:25 PM

I really like that first shirt Morrissey was wearing. Did he get that at American Eagle Outfitters? Also there were dudes fighting with girls near where I was standing. Good job guys!

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 12:32 PM

"Boz spends most of his time just standing there."
The Boz! Brian Bosworth. That's one heck of a show.

Posted by MusicSnobbery | March 26, 2009 12:34 PM

Great pics!

His setlist might have been unsurprising, but he really knocked it out of the ballpark in terms of energy and interaction with the crowd

It was pretty insane at the end for "First of the Gang." Were it not for the ~5 ft. distance between the rail and the stage, more people would have made it on.

And I too was partial to the button fly jeans. =)

Posted by Qbertplaya | March 26, 2009 12:39 PM

Don't get me wrong the show was still great but as an artist with hundreds of songs his setlist should vary a bit more.You can't please everyone I guess!

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 12:46 PM

More morrissey pics on this blog:

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 12:50 PM

am i the only one who isn't interested in morrissey?

Posted by scott | March 26, 2009 1:02 PM

Yes, Scott. You are.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 1:06 PM

Scott,yes.

Posted by Gurple | March 26, 2009 1:07 PM

"But I had a good time; went alone, talked to some other people in line"

Like we give a flying eff what your night was like...why dont you also tell us about getting cheese fries and a beer later before taking the L train to wherever in brooklyn you retreat to after polluting the e village w your nasty hipsterliness?

Posted by Raj Bajaj | March 26, 2009 1:08 PM

no Bigmouth Strikes Again? ouch.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 1:09 PM

Thanks qbertplaya for the compliment on the pics.

For the blood and gore types - some lady/woman/chick/banshee was a bit out of her gourd and getting a little to carried away with screaming and flailing arms. This escalated to the point where she was flailing those arms around (Paris?) people's faces and necks... I'm no medicine-man, but she also seemed to be high/drunk/insane/possessed.

To add joy to the flailing screamfest, she was trying to force her way forward and leaning and shoving and probably about as aggressive as an angry wolverine. This went on for more than two full songs with nothing but relatively polite requests for her to stop.

Eventually, she went a little too far and another woman (who really had an amazing amount of patience all things considered), pushed the rabid velociraptor off and asked to stop ruining the show. Let the hair pulling and punching begin!

I didn't see the next part, but certainly felt it as bodies grappled and more people became involved. Then there was some blood coming from above less-than-master-of-her-self-control and screaming. Followed by punching, more hair pulling, and further ridiculousness. This waxed and waned for 2 more songs! Forgive... Live and let live? I guess they weren't listening to the lyrics.

I've been to many Morrissey shows since 1990 (and no I am not the anonymous article writer) and had never seen blood spilled at a Mozzy love-in.

I suspect that kind of action will be a part of tonight's show @ Carnegie... :)

Posted by Tim | March 26, 2009 1:11 PM

black chick with the nose ring, put your fucking camera DOWN

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 1:16 PM

Why are people criticizing the review as if it was written here. Like much of the review "writing" on this site, it was just cut and pasted from elsewhere -- in this case the Moz fan site.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 1:20 PM

Posted by Regular reader | March 26, 2009 1:21 PM

They don't have to know his catalogue but a few extra (10 or so songs) to rotate in and out would be good!

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 1:26 PM

1) great photos!

2) he made a similar quip about the dressing room in montclair, something like "if you happened to see us changing in the street, behind the tour bus". i can only imagine what the tour rider is like!

Posted by anon | March 26, 2009 1:29 PM

chick fight rocked the house. thanks for stepping in, security (COUGH).

also, another girl was knocked to the floor and might've been slightly trampled (couldn't tell from where I was)

a glorious mess of a night!

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 1:53 PM

those pix are great, you're the one for me fatty!

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 1:54 PM

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 1:55 PM

can't wait to see him on sunday here. although, the set list for this tour is kind of lacking. but you take what you can get, right?

Posted by some guy | March 26, 2009 2:02 PM

RE: Tim

I was in that little pit of violence during "Seasick" and screamed at drunk, crazed girl. She gouged my hand as she was falling on me before I was able to get away. I continue to get frustrated at shows were one person can ruin an experience for so many.

And so, so many aggressive boys without a drop of chivalry. Two girls at the end were TRAMPLED on the floor and being jumped on by a group of guys. They were covered in footprints and shit from the floor. Who wants their Morrissey experience reduced to that?

I am a Morrissey fanatic, but please, must we all turn into ravenous animals and injure each other?

Posted by Jennifer | March 26, 2009 2:13 PM

Raj Bajaj - Stop yelling at the internet and go get some help for yourself. You sound angry.

Posted by cr | March 26, 2009 2:15 PM

Raj Bajaj, the review was pasted from a message board. A bit like this one. And I for one would much rather read about this person's experience of the concert than your nasty spewing.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 2:16 PM

When the chicks signed on for equality, they signed on for gettin' trampled just like the boys. Yeah, there aren't any aggressive women at packed crowded rock shows, acting like they have the right to act like an asshole just because they have a vagina.

Posted by Rajah of Rehab | March 26, 2009 2:18 PM

Me: "The current band has probably only rehearsed the current set list. I doubt they know the entire Morrissey catalogue."

You: "Considering that this is the same band that he's been using for more than a decade now, this officially counts as the dumbest comment on BV for the day, if not the week. Kudos...that's quite an accomplishment given the plethora of other options."

Even so, the band probably didn't rehearse most of the songs from the past ten or so years--just the ones it might play on this tour--and thus is likely to be unprepared to play them. That's not a dumb comment but rather an observation of how many bands practice and tour. It's a rare band, especially one that has been performing as long as Morrissey has, that can play every tune ever written or recorded competently for a large, live audience.

Yes, I am dumb, and you're probably that one guy yelling out for the obscure/early Morrissey/Smiths tune that hasn't been performed in years, expecting the band to jump right into it and play flawlessly. There's something already invented for that--a stereo.

I thought my dumb comment would be understood but was wrong, so there's the explanation.

Posted by Regular reader | March 26, 2009 2:23 PM

"And so, so many aggressive boys without a drop of chivalry."

In all honesty, there was barely enough room for oxygen, much less chivalry. I doubt it was a deliberate trampling.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 2:24 PM

Morrissey is the father of Octomom's children. Remember, he used to live in L.A.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 2:28 PM

how soon is cow?

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 2:35 PM

can i bring a camera into Carnegie? No, I'm not gonna be an annoying asshole with a camera. just taking a few flash-less photos of morrissey in that beautiful space.

Will carnegie let me in if I have a camera in my bag? I know the Carengie website says no cameras allowed inside.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 2:41 PM

it is most definitely not the same band he's had for a decade. the only one who's been with him for that amount of time is Boz the guitarist to Morrissey's right. as for setlist variance, i'm assuming they'll work their way towards a more varied setlist as the tour goes on. sadly, this time, we're at the beginning of the tour.

anyway, tonight is going to RULE.

Posted by EF Matt | March 26, 2009 2:43 PM

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 2:49 PM

Was last night your first time seeing Morrissey? Because to be honest, nothing you mentioned above sounds that out of the ordinary for a Morrissey show...

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 2:58 PM

11th Morrissey show, and the set lists seem to be the same. Like someone said earlier, the set lists are getting real boring. they may be enjoyable to the 16 year old girls who come with their moms, since its their first Morrissey gig. Or the dudes who have one album and think they are such true fans. But to a seasoned Moz fan, its getting a bit tiring. The crowd is getting worse and worse every year. I wish half of you would stay the hell home instead of ruining the show for everyone else.

I wish he would put National Front Disco back into rotation.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 3:05 PM

For those wondering when each member of the band joined, its as follows

Boz - Guitar - 1992
Jesse - Guitar - 2004
Matt - Drums - 2006
Solomon - bass - 2007
Kristopher - Keys - 2008

so not 10 years as previously mentioned..However that gives Morrissey no excuse for a near replicated setlist night after night. I've been to numerous gigs on the tour thus far and left last night bored to tears.

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 3:31 PM

The lone stage invader was DJ Jess. This is irritating on several levels, but particularly because, as someone who works at Webster Hall, he was "allowed" by security to get on stage. Unfair...

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 3:54 PM

"11th Morrissey show, and the set lists seem to be the same. Like someone said earlier, the set lists are getting real boring. they may be enjoyable to the 16 year old girls who come with their moms, since its their first Morrissey gig. Or the dudes who have one album and think they are such true fans. But to a seasoned Moz fan, its getting a bit tiring. "

you are an old fart. stay home. That is why i m glad i workout like crazy and am > 6' tall - lets me push old fogies like you to the side and make my way right up front. The best part of living so close to the venue - showing up at 9 45 pm, and pushing your way up front and center.

Posted by Raj Bajaj | March 26, 2009 5:00 PM

2:49

"The photos of Moz are nice, but there's not a single pic of the crowd. This could have been a rehearsal or sound check. Again: Document the entire event, not just the guy with the microphone."

Thanks for the advice. None of that had occurred to me at the time (I was too busy being crushed and trying to get a clean shot without jumpers, body surfers, arms in them). Glad you think they're nice.

:P

Tim

Posted by Tim | March 26, 2009 6:18 PM

I went to all of the Hammerstein shows in 07 and there were a couple of surprises every night -- a little Interesting Drug here, a little International Playboys there. So the band is definitely capable of mixing things up, they're just choosing not to this time, which is kind of a bummer. Great show, but I hope they've dusted off SOMETHING new for tonight.

Also, there was another girlfight during "First of the Gang" back by the bar. Don't know how it started, but shit got scrappy. I also got moshed out of position by a group first of greased up Jersey-looking douchebags when the show started. Considering the above comment, I now suspect one of them was Raj Bajasshole. If so, please eat a dick, grow a brain and stay home tongiht.

Love, peace and harmony? Maybe at the next show.

Posted by maitai | March 26, 2009 6:19 PM

at least us Jersey douchebags know how to behave in public -- no problems at the Montclair show, just good vibes

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 9:44 PM

Whats a greased up jersey looking douchbag?
Like there are no greased up queens or brooklyn douchbags?

Posted by Anonymous | March 26, 2009 10:17 PM

I'm really looking forward to see Morrissey in Rotterdam, Holland, on the 6th of june.

Posted by Jeroen | March 27, 2009 3:55 AM

After this I hear Moz will be doing a Vegas stint for the next few years. He'll bloat up to 300 pounds...do 2 shows a night...6 nights a week...45 minute long, identical sets...ticket prices set at $150, $250 & $400. 2 drink minimum.

...and there will still be people on this message board talking about how awesome the shows are.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2009 11:47 AM

@Anonymous 11:47.

Dead on. I had to pretend I really enjoyed the show last night, but deep down I was disappointed. The show seemed mailed in and had zero variation from the other 3 shows in NYC, let alone the rest of the tour. There was even a girl 2 rows ahead of me playing Ball Breaker on her blackberry. I was kinda jealous at times.

He has three assets: Smiths tunes, his early solo catalog, and (surprisingly) his last album. In between 1992 and 2009 are a few nice songs. Why he chooses to abandon the songs that would really inject excitement into the show is beyond me.

Won't be seeing him again, though I'll readily agree his voice is in impeccable form. But I felt I was watching show tunes, not a concert.

Posted by Ditto | March 27, 2009 4:23 PM

@Ditto.

If you're referring to The Carnegie Hall show last night, you're sorely mistaken. It was a great show. The best.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2009 7:22 PM

Tim,

Your photographs are incredible. Such clarity. What type of camera did you use?

Jamie

Posted by Jamie | March 27, 2009 8:03 PM

Hi Jamie - and thank you for the wonderful compliment.

I use a Sony a700, and for this show I brought three lenses (all Minolta - Minolta AF lenses work on Sony cameras, since Sony bought Minolta). Lenses: 35 f2, 85 f1.4, and 135 f2.8.

Nikon and Canon both have wonderful cameras and lenses, and someday I may jump to one of them if Sony doesn't get moving... But for now I seem to be doing AOK. :)

As a side note: Pics on BrooklynVegan are saved at around 65% quality on the JPG scale (To help keep file size and load times down). Originals are often a little bit better than what you see here. :)

Posted by Tim | March 28, 2009 6:53 AM

Totally off topic but the last time I saw Morrissey, there was this amazingly annoying couple who were not only talking during the whole show but were talking about TMI info. The guy kept asking her "Do you like my seven and a half inches? Do you like my seven and a half inches? Is it the biggest you've ever had?" Yeah bro you're cool

Posted by Anonymous | February 17, 2011 7:59 PM