Posted in To Do | music on March 29, 2009

Primal Scream @ The Metro in Chicago - March 22, 2009 (theres no way home)
Primal Scream

"Steven Van Zandt plays many roles: Guitarist in the E Street Band. Tough-talking club owner Silvio Dante in "The Sopranos." Host of syndicated radio show "Little Steven's Underground Garage."

But early on Friday, March 20, in the Austin Convention Center, he assumed the role of music industry elder statesman and philosopher during the South By Southwest Music and Media Conference.

Van Zandt spoke and answered audience questions in a convention center conference room....

... When a booking agent informed Van Zandt that the British band Primal Scream was not physically capable of doing a 20-show tour he hoped to organize, he did not hide his disgust.

"C'mon. (The E Street Band) does 20 shows a month. You want to be a drug addict? Go be a drug addict. Don't waste my time."
[The Times-Picaynne]

Primal Scream play their 2nd of two NYC shows tonight (3/29). Last night was at Webster Hall (how was that show?). Tonight is at Music Hall of Williamsburg and it is not sold out.

On March 22nd, right after they left Austin, Primal Scream played The Metro in Chicago. The setlist from that show is below...

Primal Scream's Chicago setlist (via):
17 Rocks
----
18 UPTOWN
19 Necro Hex
20 Country Girl
21 Accelerator

Kuroma opened Webster Hall and opens again at Music Hall of Williamsburg tonight.

The show was great but boy, that place still sucks. I got there early and wasn't really interested in the opening act and wanted to go get some dinner. They said no way and -- here's the kicker -- told me "there's snacks in the bathroom." I thought it was a joke, but sure enough there's a bathroom attendant selling overpriced chips and micro-candy. Holding to my policy that I will only go to Webster Hall when I have to. Had I known that Primal Scream was going to add a W'burg data I would have gladly held out for that...

but seriously, Primal Scream is awesome live and anyone who doesn't have plans tonight should def catch them at MHOW.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 5:48 PM

Last nights show was easily the best concert I've been to in years. Someone please tell me this wasn't just because I was drunk. Amazing show.

Mercifully, Webster posts the true set-times outside their door, so you can walk and grab dinner somewhere if you don't want to eat bathroom candy before the show.

Posted by David McCaffredy | March 29, 2009 6:18 PM

It was amazing, it's true webster hall sucks as venue, the sound wasn't excellent but the band is really great and the audience was into it. I couldn't believe that they sell chips in the restrooms, lol.

Posted by Jay | March 29, 2009 6:42 PM

David McCaffredy just implied that 5:48 is blind.

Posted by Stevie Paterson | March 29, 2009 6:44 PM

the sound wasnt bad at all...my big issue with webster is that they herd you just like yr going to their shitty dance party.

and the shithead who walks into the crowd to sell beer when the band is playing...they try to sell you the entire time yr there.

that said, its close to my place and i actually like the early show times.

primal scream were just awesome...swastika eyes was full on rave and fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 7:03 PM

I totally wasn't, 5:48! Honest.

I was about to fall for the same thing, but the door guy gave me the heads-up about their rule.

Posted by David McCaffredy | March 29, 2009 7:14 PM

One of the best shows I've seen in years..I was shocked that though down in front most people where respectful of one another and danced without causing problems.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 7:20 PM

Great setlist, caught the Philly show Thursday. Only 400 people there.

This band still rocks.

Posted by Anonymous | March 29, 2009 11:12 PM

i saw them play like 9 years ago at hammerstein.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 12:14 AM

these guys really belong up there with the likes of Sonic Youth & Dino Jr., for those melt your face off noisey ass concerts. a total blast

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 1:00 AM

somebody grabbed my balls!

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 9:49 AM

I also dug the show at Webster Hall and frankly, whatever you have to say about the venue, it still has great acoustics and a great concert vibe, just like it did in the '80s when it was the old Ritz. I've only seen four or five concerts there (Sonic Youth, Jesus and Mary Chain, Supergrass and the Fratellis) and all of them were great. Primal Scream really played a great and varied set (pretty much what we've seen everywhere else on the tour) and it really grooved... didn't even realize the lead guitarist was new because he fit in so well.

Posted by Edward Douglas | March 30, 2009 9:51 AM

Oh, and I also saw them at Hammerstein all those years ago and the difference between sitting up in the balcony (which sucked) and standing five feet from the stage is a HUGE one.

Posted by Edward Douglas | March 30, 2009 9:52 AM

I would've liked to hear stuff off Vanishing Point. And Bobby needs a new hairstyle.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 11:19 AM

they reminded me of the black crows. so bad

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 1:51 PM