Posted in music on March 30, 2009

head

Auditions will be held Friday, April 10 in Los Angeles for drummers who are looking to play with THE SMASHING PUMPKINS. They should send their background info, photos and performance web links via email only to: pumpkinsdrummer@gmail.com.
Last week Jimmy Chamberlin quit the band.
"By now you have heard the news of my departure from the Smashing Pumpkins. I will say, without going into any unnecessary details that this represents a positive move forward for me. I can no longer commit all of my energy into something that I don't fully possess. I won't pretend I'm into something I'm not. I won't do it to myself, you the fan, or my former partner. I can't just, "Cash the check" so to speak. Music is my life. It is sacred. It deserves the highest commitment at every level and the Pumpkins are certainly no different. I'm sorry but it really IS that simple. There is no drama, bad blood, or anything else but a full commitment to music. My best goes out to Billy and I'm glad he has chosen to continue under the name. It is his right. I will continue to make music with the Jimmy Chamberlin Complex as well as pursuing other musical interests. I feel that I have a long way to go and a lot to give. Thanks to everyone for your kind words and support through all of this. I am constantly humbled by all of you! It is an honor and a privilege to play music for a living and I don't take it for granted not even for a second." - Jimmy
Billy Corgan is the last original member in the Smashing Pumpkins.

corgan is such a tool for thinking continuing this bands after melon collie was a good idea...how come all the good ones died...

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 7:34 PM

and then there was one...

one giant douche.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 8:02 PM

this is just sad...

hang it up.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 8:03 PM

Maybe Corgan will wake up tomorrow and realize that he was the master of his band's demise because he is an absolute raging cock sucker. I hope he's satisfied now that he's driven all of them off.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 8:03 PM

how did the man who wrote the epic adventure that is mellon collie, turn into the biggest d-bag?

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 8:05 PM

Haha @ the pic.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 8:07 PM

Dear Billy Coragan..

you sir.. are DONE!! wrap it up! No one want's to see you and a bunch of session musicians play Smashing Pumpkins songs!

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 8:08 PM

Jimmy Chamberlain: fantastic drummer. Billy Corgan: giant, pale, bald penis.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 8:16 PM

sad

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 8:17 PM

who cares = no one

Posted by Ron | March 30, 2009 8:28 PM

Jimmy was essential without him there is no Pumpkins. Hang it up Billy and focus on writing/playing tunes for commercials.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 9:13 PM

Smashing Roses N Guns Pumpkins

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 9:22 PM

he should get that dude with the bucket to play guitar

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 9:47 PM

weren't "the smashing pumpkins" just tour musicians for his songs anyway? (I mean aside from a few songs here and there and some great bsides) whats the big deal?

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 9:58 PM

musicians bring their own sound or style to any piece of music regardless if they were the composer.

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 10:06 PM

smashing shit are and always were garbage...goood riddence

Posted by Anonymous | March 30, 2009 10:10 PM

yea, this makes me think of david gilmour continuing to tour and release pink floyd albums after rogers waters left. I think gilmour and corgan both did some pretty cool stuff in their time but their behavior after their respective band breakups has been pretty been pretty much soulless cash grabbing opportunistic bullshit.

Posted by Anonymous | March 31, 2009 3:21 AM

its not like blind melon or alice in chains, billy actually wrote and sang these songs, not to mention most likely played most of them on those recordings, should they all be retired? There should be rules to this. I think if the main voice of the band is also the songwriter, then the rest may be up for replacement. On the other hand i do have a problem with axl calling his band guns n roses, which actually does lose something without the original members.

Posted by Anonymous | March 31, 2009 3:49 AM

This falls more in the category of "Should REM play only post Bill Berry songs now?"

Posted by Anonymous | March 31, 2009 3:54 AM

Yea i have to agree with everyone here smashing pumpkins should be done i bought that last record and felt like such an ass for buying it after hearing it i think i actually just threw it in the garbage

Posted by bob | March 31, 2009 7:03 AM

"This falls more in the category of 'Should REM play only post Bill Berry songs now?"

Or should Wilco breakup if the bassist decides to quit the group. that would leave Jeff Tweedy as the only original member. for some reason i doubt anybody would care half as much and that's a bands that twice as acclaimed and relevant as the Pumpkins...

I haven't particularly cared for the Pumpkins post-reunion output with the exception of the American Gothic EP. But at the same time this is a band that was writing and recording most their best material over 15 years ago now. I don't have expectations at this point for practically every other artist of that era either. If Corgan wants to tour and record as the Pumpkins that's clearly his right.

Posted by Anonymous | March 31, 2009 7:57 AM

If he grew a mustache you'd all love his shit. Don't front.

Posted by Anonymous | March 31, 2009 9:16 AM

Didn't MR. Billy play every instrument on the pumpkins first album? Don't know if that was true again on other records. Doesn't sound like the other guys added too much to the creative process anyways.
Look at J. Spaceman. How many times has he sacked his entire band?

Posted by nsfw | March 31, 2009 9:58 AM

The return of Steven Adler!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 31, 2009 10:03 AM

@3:49 - Lane Staley had chunks of Corgan in his stool.

Posted by Anonymous | March 31, 2009 10:06 AM

WHO GIVES A FUCKING SHIT

Posted by Anonymous | March 31, 2009 10:23 AM

^
You do, obviously.

Posted by Anonymous | March 31, 2009 10:34 AM

classy move by jimmy

Posted by anonymous | March 31, 2009 10:41 AM

@ moustaches....hahaha. it's so true.

Posted by Sacred Absolute Hipster Cow | March 31, 2009 10:52 AM

I'm pretty sure Billy Corgan played almost all of the instruments on the SP records, except the drums. The reason being that Jimmy Chamberlain is a badass. Which is why this matters. Or would matter, if Corgan hadn't already turned the Pumpkins into a joke.

Posted by Anonymous | March 31, 2009 11:43 AM

Billy Corgan is the new Dan Deacon

Posted by awesomeface | March 31, 2009 12:03 PM

Billy Corgan definitely DIDN'T play all the instruments on the SP records. If he is the only one left, he really should go back to calling it Zwan, or the Billy Corgan experience or whatever. One original player does not make an original band.

Posted by Sammy Samson | March 31, 2009 3:56 PM

Corgan and Chamberlin recorded 98 percent of everything recorded by the pumkins...so even if he is a tool it was always HIS band.

Posted by Anonymous | March 31, 2009 4:00 PM

billy corgan is a egotistical douche and the punpkins fucking blow and always have.

Posted by Anonymous | March 31, 2009 5:40 PM

Billy Corgan and Roger Daltrey could co-headline as "The Smashing Pumpkins and The Who," and sadly, people would still go.

corgan's got to give this a rest...why not call it the Billy Corgan Band, or do what the Grateful Dead did...why not "The Pumpkins" or something?

Posted by Anonymous | March 31, 2009 10:21 PM

^
simple answer? 'cause he's a whore.

Posted by Anonymous | April 1, 2009 12:34 AM

re: David Gilmour... did you SEE the tour for the live album PULSE?

if you went you may say that it was more than a cash grab.

dude, it was amazing, the show was (i saw it in toronto, canada in 1994) performed in SURROUND SOUND, they had 3 separate stages as it took THAT LONG between shows to setup that they needed three stages to keep amount of time between shows to a minimun. It was NUTS and well worth going to see. That same year I saw billy and the pumpkins original lineup for Siamese Dream's tour and it was awesome... too bad the pumpkins really haven't had a great album like Siamese Dream since then... :(
source - http://guitartechnician.com i have billy's rig detailed

Posted by SEO Rockstars | April 1, 2009 1:51 PM

Love you Billy! Pumpkins Rule!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 12:41 AM