Posted in music | tour dates on March 11, 2009

ATP NY

JESUS LIZARD, MELVINS, EL-P AND MORE FOR ATP NY! DAY TICKETS ON SALE NOW!
Today we're pleased to announce the second group of announcements for our second ATP New York festival which runs from 11th-13th September 2009 and is co-curated by The Flaming Lips. The first event received widespread rave reviews and the second is shaping up to be just as good.

On Friday 11th September, joining the previously announced Dirty Three performing Ocean Songs, Suicide performing their legendary first LP and David Cross curating a comedy stage, we have:

THE JESUS LIZARD - their first New York show in many many years
THE DRONES - performing Wait Long By The River And The Bodies Of The Enemies Will Float By

On Saturday 12th September, joining the previously announced Animal Collective, Panda Bear, Black Dice, Antipop Consortium, Autolux and Atlas Sound we have:

MELVINS
EL-P
DEAD MEADOW
AKRON FAMILY
SLEEPY SUN

We will be announcing some of the bands that THE FLAMING LIPS, our Sunday headliners, have announced in the near future.

Tickets are on sale now for $235 with or without accommodation at an extra cost.

We are also placing on sale today a VERY limited amount of day passes
for this festival. Friday day passes cost $75, Saturday and Sunday
passes cost $95 per day. These are on sale now and due to high demand
are not expected to be available for very long.

CLICK HERE TO BUY YOUR TICKETS! (thx Jason!)

Jesus LizardThe Jesus Lizard! It was also just announced they'll be playing the Pitchfork Fest in July. That's in addition to at least 2 other UK shows so far.

Melvins are also performing some shows in May, where, unlike at ATP, they'll be playing their album Houdini from start to finish.

The Drones, coming all the way from Australia, will also be here in the States this month. Unlike at ATP though, they won't be performing an album from start to finish this time around.

I wonder who the Flaming Lips will add. As some have already pointed out, we know it won't be Arcade Fire.

Sleepy Sun is an ATP Recordings-signed band from San Francisco who are also playing SXSW. Check out a video below...

Seepy Sun - White Dove

This is getting better, but I'm still not feeling my $500 at work yet.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 10:52 AM

won't go unless arcade fire are on the bill. natch.

Posted by brian | March 11, 2009 10:56 AM

ATP line up over in Europe is so much better every year!

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 10:58 AM

good, now I dont have to drive to Chicago to see Jesus Lizard and Dead Meadow to boot, word

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 10:58 AM

this is only getting better...don't front. last year was bliss...

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 11:01 AM

The Drones performing Wait Long By The River And The Bodies Of The Enemies Will Float By? Was anyone really clamoring for that? I hope that's the nail in the Don't Look Back coffin.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 11:06 AM

won't go if arcade fire are on the bill. natch.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 11:06 AM

By refusing to buy tickets to this seemingly amazing festival, I enunciate my TEAM WIN membership.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 11:09 AM

I love you BV

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 11:16 AM

The Drones are on ATP's label or something and play every ATP they can be shoehorned into.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 11:17 AM

Now I don't feel like a complete schmuck for buying early bird tix. I'm still gunning for more killdozer and six-finger satellite are back so I wouldn't be surprised if they get on too.

Posted by wingwalker77 | March 11, 2009 11:38 AM

i say let Yow/McNeilly/Dennison/Sims curate the final day and kick Coyne to the curb.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 11:45 AM

$80 plus driving to the catskills to see jesus lizard and dirty three...

im gonna hold out and hope they add a nyc date.

god knows i cant hang with you dorks for an hour at a concert...i certainly cant stomach hanging with you for an evening.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 11:53 AM

Anyone buying advance tickets for this after last years debacle is like bat shit crazy. There were a mega amount of tickets to be had the week of, day of for chump change. And you could always find a place to crash up there or an available hotel room.
Not to mention the lineup this year is not that special yet at least if you go to concerts regularly in this city.
And of course Jesus Lizard is going to play a local NYC date dummies. Autolux as well.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 11:57 AM

anyone who went last year, stayed at kutschers, and enjoyed the insane convenience of being on site the whole time knows how much fun this is before any of the bands are even announced.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 12:38 PM

Anyone stay at the hotel last year? How was that experience? Was the shuttle always running?

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 12:44 PM

last year was an absolute blast and this lineup is fantastic, i would pick this rather than seeing any of the big festivals any day of the week (a Janes reunion does not do much for me...)

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 12:46 PM

11:57, I already have the room but I didn't buy my ticket yet for the reason that they'll be dirt cheap closer to the date.

Posted by wingwalker77 | March 11, 2009 1:20 PM

hotel to the other hotel seemed to be running pretty regularly, but if you stay at kutschers you are actually in the same building as the shows, there is no travel at all, and it is really really easy. you can also return to the bar in your room between pretty much every set.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 1:28 PM

Not that this lineup sucks, but unless they pull some heavy hitters out of their ass this shit isn't selling out by a long shot.. I mean a really long shot.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 1:33 PM

rather it not sell out. all you haters keep hating. i went last year, got tix way in advance. and did so again. first off, ATP and the bands deserve it. second, the lineup will deliver. just wait. the experience and atmosphere is better than any NYC show...

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 1:50 PM

Please pick some stuff that chicks will like (boys and girls can like similar music sometimes). Last year was great, but can we make it less of a sausage fest? I mean, really. This is important.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 1:55 PM

is MGMT on this bill? problem solved...

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 1:58 PM

@1:33, i agree...last year marked the long-awaited return of MBV and it still took until the week of the show to sell out...do people really care about bands they can see pretty much every year they tour???

granted the Jesus Lizard is a huge draw for me now, and i hope they can recreate the fire they displayed when i saw 'em three times in the early '90s. but as of now, this ain't drawing me in.

@1:55, try match.com

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 2:22 PM

"@1:55, try match.com".. how fucking lame. Music lover or not, a weekend retreat that is 75% dudes isn't nearly as desirable and a more even split. It's just too much testosterone.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 2:25 PM

eh.
last year = tons of dudes, not that much actual testosterone.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 2:30 PM

so are there to be quotas for latinos, blacks and asians in the punter makeup as well?

it's a fucking music fest. if you like the music, then go. don't fret over demographics. i met plenty of friendly people from all over the place last year, and some even had XX chromosomes.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 2:34 PM

Say what you will, and try and break it down to people wanting it to be a hook-up fest, but the audience makeup of the event contributes to the experience just as much as the music. You guys are probably the same ones that complained about the dancing girl with the great dresses last year.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 2:43 PM

DAMN GOOD COFFEE!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 2:53 PM

nah, wasn't me. i talked w/ her and got a good shot of her at the end Les Savy Fav's set, on-stage.

i did find it humorous that she was dancing during MBV's noise holocaust portion. that must have been some damned good coffee.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 2:56 PM

What the fuck is El-P doing on this bill? Makes no sense... AND he sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 4:29 PM

dirty three / jesus lizard at bowery ballroom would make me happy. i don't care for festivals.

Posted by scott | March 11, 2009 4:40 PM

yeah i'm not a fan of festivals. jesus lizard doing an nyc show would be nice.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 4:47 PM

Scott 4:40, I'm not a festival guy by any means myself but ATP is different.

It is indoors in small rooms, and holy crap the main stage sounded incredible. Much louder than any NYC venue is allowed to be these days and completely pristine. Perpetually blew my mind.

The room is also really well setup. It is an old circular vaudeville space, can't really think of a good NYC venue analogy. But t is layered and staggered and there is no spot in the venue whether up front or all the way in the back where you have a bad view, feel cramped, etc.

My advice for anyone who didn't go last year: Buy food and booze offsite and bring to your room. The booze was over-priced and the concession stand was HORRIBLE. My crew bought a ton of hummous and coldcuts at Wal-mart and were set for the weekend.

Posted by noamjamski | March 11, 2009 4:50 PM

people need to calm down. last year was amazing and the full bill for this year isn't even close to being available for your scrutiny. i'm sure there are still many surprises on the way. go for the music, and think of it this way ... yeah you could see some of these bands in and around NYC when they tour ... but here they are all under one roof in one awesome weekend. the venue alone makes the whole experience unique and worth whatever you paid or didn't pay to get in. and if you don't like the bill. don't go. and quit your bitchin.

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 5:22 PM

noamjamski,

that sounds pretty cool actually, thanks for the input. maybe i will reconsider! if the dirty three don't do a show in nyc i will end up regretting it for sure.

Posted by scott | March 11, 2009 8:33 PM

beers were $4. that's not overpriced in my book.

as for the full bill not being available, well so far it's well behind the '08 version at the same spot in time...

but i agree, it was a pretty awesome setting and incredible experience. i just wish there were better bands announced so far. i bought tickets for '08 the minute they went on sale. obviously this year is different for me...

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 8:41 PM

i couldnt agree more with the music for chicks comment...not necessarily does ATP need to bill artists to meet every demographic, but really they would do themselves a huge favor to book a wider variety of acts: singer songwriters, danceable music, electro, GOOD rap. right now it's like two droney 90s bands for every one other type of band. and there idiotic hip hop/rap choices. that's fine. i like droney 90s A LOT - but please liven this shit up...even dumb-easy favorites: tough alliance, burial dj set, raekwon, lcd soundsystem, bon iver, AVALANCHES, BLUR, DONT LOOK BACK: MICHAEL JACKSON "THRILLER"

Posted by Anonymous | March 11, 2009 10:36 PM

@10:36, how many '90s drone bands are in this list?

Suicide
Atlas Sound
MELVINS
EL-P
DEAD MEADOW
AKRON FAMILY
SLEEPY SUN

I count one (The Dirty Three), and even that's a bit of a stretch. You might want to check out some local raves.

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2009 8:04 AM

i'm going...but only for the sonic swing. ya'll know what i'm talking about.

Posted by ryan | March 12, 2009 11:29 AM

i wasnt too impressed last year...
would only go again if it were free,,,
way too indy rock for me

Posted by Anonymous | March 12, 2009 12:31 PM

last year was awesome but the lineup this year is fairly m'eh for me at least. $4 isnt too bad for a beer at an event like that, but you'd be better off going to the wal mart down the road and stocking up. people were walking around carrying 30 racks in and out of the venues like it was nothing.

Posted by jason | March 12, 2009 1:15 PM

Let me preface this with the following: I have already purchased tickets and a room for 2009, did so the day they went on sale.

With that said, the announcement yesterday of the Feelies playing Crazy Rhythms for Friday night, and the Jesus Lizard have started to make this line up seem more enjoyable. The lineup wasn't doing a whole lot for me.

But, am I glad I bought early? Fuck yeah. The experience alone is worth the price of admission. Three days of music, small venues, relatively mellow crowd, awesome accommodations and a really great vibe make this the best music destination in the country, regardless of who is playing.

And to the people who say they don't like festivals, I agree wholeheartedly, but this is different. It isn't 100,000 people packed in a muddy field, it's 2,000 in a hotel/resort. It is magic.

Posted by dbati | March 13, 2009 9:05 AM

You weren't impressed last year??? This year is going to suck! The Lips are the only decent band.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 10:49 AM

sausage www.awkwardboners.com fest!

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2009 7:54 PM

I hear Metallica is going to play!

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2009 8:25 PM

It was not very nice last year,I was not impressed.

Posted by Burun | May 20, 2009 11:10 PM

I took my first home loans when I was very young and that supported my business very much. But, I need the small business loan over again.

Posted by BEAN31Maggie | January 12, 2012 4:16 AM