Posted in dance | music | pictures on March 27, 2009

photos by Zach Dilgard

Prodigy

"show sucked. loud noise & flashing lights describe what went down in a nutshell...high energy yes, good music...not so much." [Anonymous | March 27, 2009 10:01 AM]

"I thought the show was actually pretty good- very energetic, sounded great from my spot, and the crowd was the largest/most enthusiastic I'd seen at Roseland in a long time." [Anonymous | March 27, 2009 10:20 AM]

Those two mini-reviews refer to last night's Prodigy show at Roseland Ballroom in NYC (3/26). Ed Banger's Busy P opened with a DJ set. More pictures from the show below...

Busy P...

Prodigy...

Prodigy

I'm with the positive reviewer. The show kinda blew me away. There is nothing like The Prodigy. The energy. Bringing what people love about intense live rock -- both sounds and execution -- to an electronic context. Introducing poor clueless Americans to dub step. (Literally, the guy Maxim told everyone "this is dub step" before dropping an undeniable beat that made you feel like you were at at UK club.)

In this day and age, getting that many people to jump around at a show (in this country) is quite an accomplishment. And they sounded perfect. And their set list offered a nice flow, including tracks new and old.

And I love Busy P. The perfect opener. When he dropped the Mr. Oizo I was thinking, wow, this guy is introducing a whole lot of unsuspecting people to a new world of electronic music. This is totally in keeping with The Prodigy, who, in breaking through to mainstream music, had done the same.

Posted by Mike | March 27, 2009 12:40 PM

Well I don't know about everyone being as clueless as Mike seems to think, but it was a great show.

Posted by Ben | March 27, 2009 12:45 PM

i got free tickets to a prodigy show a few years ago in NYC (irving plaza?) and i saw scott ian from anthrax in "the pit". Pretty sad if you ask me, but then again I was at the show too. 'Among the Living' didn't sound teh same after that one

Posted by hipster poseur | March 27, 2009 1:03 PM

It looks kind of fun. "I'm a fiyah-startah!"

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2009 1:10 PM

how the fuck does this shite band still exist?

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2009 1:10 PM

1:10...whatever you think of their semi-mainstream hit, prodigy played a massive role in electronic music and put on an amazing live show.

wish i went actually. i havent seen them since 1997.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2009 1:20 PM

Figures that the two dumbest comments come from "Anonymous"

While I can't say I cared for Busy P, The Prodigy absolutely blew me away. I was at the very front, just to the right of center, and the energy from both the band and the crowd was absolutely insane. Probably the best concert I've been to, as far as getting you into it is concerned.

Posted by Craig | March 27, 2009 1:24 PM

i saw them the night before in toronto, the show was ok, the sound sucked.

the crowd was horrible, full of obnoxious frat boys and pushy people.

who knew that raver gear was still a fad? it was pretty sad to see glow sticks, fat pants and people dressed as extras from party monster. especially when they are in their late 30's.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2009 1:51 PM

those were extras from party monster. they don't have jobs, haven't you read about the economy?

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2009 2:07 PM

The new album is definitely lacking aside from a few tracks, but overall, if you used to be a fan or never were a fan, you missed out. Seems like they were looking more forward to Miami than this show, but the music and energy were definitely still there.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2009 2:07 PM

Agree with Craig- if anything sucked, it was Busy P, but I thought I was the minority opinion on that, based on the people around me pumping fists at the crap he was spinning.

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2009 2:08 PM

not sure if this is correct order exactly....

Intro
Worlds On Fire
Their Law
Breathe + Dub
Omen
Poison (Liam did a cool beat triggering jam after this)
Warrior's Dance
Firestarter
Run With The Wolves
Thunder
Voodoo People
Comanche
-------
Invaders Must Die
Diesel Power (w/ the new synth part)
Smack My Bitch Up
Take Me To The Hospital
Your Love/Out Of Space

Posted by setlist | March 27, 2009 2:11 PM

Set list, if I'm not mistaken:
World's On Fire
Invaders Must Die
Diesel Power
Smack My Bitch Up
Take Me to the Hospital
???

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2009 2:13 PM

This kind of music isn't even really my thing, and I thought the show was pretty good. They definitely had the crowd in it (wildest I've seen Roseland in forever), even though the crowd did have an unfortunately high population of dumbass meatheads and glowstick weilding douches.

All in all though, glad I went.

Posted by Funderburgh | March 27, 2009 2:14 PM

i thought show was just OK

Posted by Jonny G. | March 27, 2009 2:34 PM

The granddaddy's of techno kinda fall into three categories.

Chemical Bros/Orb/Orbital - Trip out your mind
Daft Punk - Blow your Mind
Prodigy - Rip you mind from your skull, stomp it into the ground and skull fuck you.

Last night they came close. There are a couple of new songs that are not that great, but the energy the band brings and gives to the crowd, combined with the ear shattering volume and bass...well it was pretty cool.

Not quite as great as Coachella two years ago, but worth the price of admission.

Posted by Bob Roberts | March 27, 2009 3:06 PM

i dont trust ravers who rock...or vice versa!

Posted by public school whitey | March 27, 2009 3:14 PM

Bob Roberts - you are spot on, very good review! nicly done, i agree...

Posted by Jonny G. | March 27, 2009 5:20 PM

Bob Roberts you are an idiot. How the hell are any of those the "grandaddies" of techno? Do you know what techno is? Do you even listen to actual dance music (or just what was massive in the 90s?)?

Posted by Anonymous | March 27, 2009 6:43 PM

I enjoyed every minute of it!
Right in front Keith and Max worked their HAWT BODS!!! They were yummy to the MAX!!

Posted by Lucero | March 27, 2009 9:22 PM

This show was f#$%ing intense. One and a half hours of bass booming, adrenaline kicking, mass jumping, singing along, moshing, break out dancing, make you go wild music. This was my second time seeing them since '05 when they played NYC's Nokia Theatre. This show was way more crazier. When I say the entire crowd, and I mean the ENTIRE CROWD, was going mental. The new songs pounded just as hard, if not harder than the classics and people were already singing along to the new tunes. Everywhere I looked people were just going apesh*t. This was my sister's first show, she's been in the pits for NIN and Marilyn Manson, and said this was the most craziest show she's ever been to. She's never seen the whole audience losing it and going buck wild. Only lasted the first few songs close to the front and had to back off. It was just too nuts. Busy P was pretty wicked too. Definitely got people moving and set the mood. Overall a great show and me and my friend Joe enjoyed it so much we're looking to travel to Philly or Boston to see them again when they return to the States in May.

I HEAR THUNDER!!!

Posted by MyKeyZ | March 28, 2009 12:30 PM

Last I checked, techno was around a long time before Prodigy and Daft Punk.How are they granddaddies?

Posted by adam | March 28, 2009 1:07 PM

i don't like the prodigy's new stuff. (and i've never seen "them" live)
but it is important to remember, with their early singles, "charlie", and "welcome to the jungle". Liam did basicly popularise drum & bass / jungle music.. their debut LP "experience" is as essential as early aphex twin, and orb imo. so i can't dismiss their existence.

Posted by tpanda | March 28, 2009 3:31 PM

great show - saw them at the Hammerstein in '98 - the last song for the "encore" was Out Of Space -- and the only thing I was disappointed in was that nothing was played from Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned but Keith and Maxim were not on that CD -- it was a kick-ass show though

Posted by Mikey | March 28, 2009 9:31 PM

I absolutely loved the show. I wish my camera didn't die in the middle of it :(. I was in the very front and it was the best concert I've ever been to. All the squishing and pushing was so worth it. Awesome pics though. :)

Posted by Simone | March 28, 2009 10:58 PM

I rarely witness such spectacles in my homebody social regiment. This show was super hype! Went for free, the crowd was lively and visibly vibing, with an air of nostalgic vindication. Dope.

Posted by zoob | March 28, 2009 11:31 PM

thanks for sharing the mp3s, 12:15

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2009 9:48 PM

All the guys hating on The Prodigy. FUCK OFF.

1. Those of you who don't like the prodigy to begin with. Why was time posting you bullshit.

2. The guys who went to the show and don't like them. What the hell were you doing there to begin with.

Assholes like this piss me off till no end, and i'm a pretty calm guy.

Posted by Alex | April 8, 2009 8:55 PM