Posted in music | tour dates on March 4, 2009

Kevin Whelan, Charles Bissell, Jerry MacDonald, Greg Whelan
The Wrens

CHARLES BISSELL OF THE WRENS: Well, there are so many easy jokes about how I'm perpetually a year or two behind music. I've not heard from so many of the current bands. You mentioned Fleet Foxes, I think I've only heard 3 or so songs by them, and that's because I saw them on Conan or something once. Part of me thinks, like you were saying, there's a bit of that nostalgia factor. I mean, really all music sounds like something that came before, but as you said, if you're not in that phase that most people eventually go into, that transition where they're going into finding your own music, which happens in your teens or early 20's or whatever. If you're not that way, it's hard not to become that crotchety old Muppet in the balcony, listening to Vampire Weekend and saying, "Oh, we liked that the first time...when we called it Graceland!" It's harder to get excited about stuff, but it's really cool to see people are getting excited about it.
Tickets are on sale for an April 10th Wrens show at The Bell House in Brooklyn. Amazing Baby open. That makes at least five upcoming shows total with SXSW and Sasquatch. All dates below...

The Wrens - 2009 Tour Dates
March 13 - New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom (KEXP show)
March 19 - Austin, TX - Radio Room (BrooklynVegan day party) (afternoon)
March 19 - Austin, TX - Prague (SXSW) (1am)
April 10 - Brooklyn, NY - The Bell House w/ Amazing Bay
May 24 - Gorge, WA - Sasquatch Festival

when was the last time this band did a show?

Posted by Anonymous | March 4, 2009 11:26 PM

I think in 2004 or 2005.

Posted by wingwalker77 | March 5, 2009 8:38 AM

missed tickets for The Bowery, so I'm psyched about this!

Posted by ts | March 5, 2009 8:45 AM

they played in early 2007 at the Knitting Factory... Was there one since then?

Posted by cd | March 5, 2009 9:10 AM

They played at Knitting Factory in January 2007.

Posted by J | March 5, 2009 9:33 AM

the show at knitting factory was sans drummer. it was weird, but good.

Posted by Anonymous | March 5, 2009 10:12 AM

So are we going to get any more details about the BV party anytime soon? Do we need to RSVP?

Posted by dcgrrl | March 5, 2009 2:01 PM

They played a private show @ the Merc on Memorial Day Sunday in '07. (Not that this knowledge does you any good now, unfortunately.) The whole line-up was there. In the spirit of their '5th wren' program, an audience member joined them on stage at the keys for what seemed like 3 songs to an amazing effect. Not only was he comfortable in the songs, but he excelled in his delivery and interpretation, contributing recording quality texture and dynamism to an already exceptional show. Without exaggeration, that show stands out as one of the top 10 performances I've ever seen. All you haters can conjecture on how few concerts I've seen in my life or how poor my judgement may be, but all I can say is, if you knew how good it was, you'd be sad to know you missed that show.

Posted by MGC | March 5, 2009 4:37 PM

haha, fuck you MGC. i dont know you at all but from reading your post i would never want to know you

Posted by Anonymous | March 6, 2009 4:01 AM

@ anon4:01am -

Aw, poor boy, admit it - you're yearning for my dick in your mouth. Only a boy whose been raped by his father would flirt in such a veiled way with strangers. If you don't want to know me, why reach out with such absolute passion? I'll be seeing you on the 13th in the men's room stall you tight-little-assed bundle of rage. I'll help you work it all out. Just call out for "Daddy," during the set and I'll be there.

Posted by MGC | March 6, 2009 2:26 PM

@ anon2:26pm-

not funny or creepy, both of your intents. hot dog!

Posted by Anonymous | March 6, 2009 10:21 PM

@mgc. i saw that merc show (a certain person's birthday party) and it wasn't that good, and i've seen the wrens about 7 times.

Posted by erik | March 13, 2009 7:24 PM