Posted in movies | music | video on March 16, 2009

by Black Bubblegum

What do Varg Vikernes and the band Iran have to do with each other? Read on....

Varg Vikernes in the slammer no more
Burzum

The single most infamous man in all of metal is set to walk free.

It is never reassuring to hear that a man who calls himself Count Grishnackh is to be released from prison. And yet that is what is happening to the Norwegian black-metal icon Varg Vikernes, who murdered Mayhem's guitarist and set three churches on fire.

It was just 16 years ago that Vikernes was sitting in an Oslo court, smiling as he received a maximum sentence. Best known as the leader of Burzum - whose first album begins with a song called Feeble Screams from Forests Unknown - Vikernes was also a far-right political activist and, er, grim dude.

Though he was refused four times for parole - most recently in September 2008 - Vikernes is now set to walk free, he told Daglabet magazine....

For the past couple of years, Vikernes has been allowed to leave the prison and make visits to his family, according to Blabbermouth. His mother, wife, 18-month-old son and 16-year-old daughter all live in Tromsø near the prison. "I look forward the day that I [can] work on my farm, create music, write books and be with the wife and kids around the clock -- and live a normal life," he said.

Though Vikernes will no longer be bound by prison schedules, he will have to regularly report to a parole officer, intially for every two weeks and then once a month. Count Grishnackh plans to move to a small farm near Bø and says he no longer has any ties with far-right Norwegian groups. - [The Guardian]

The dark beginnings of Black Metal in Norway, church burnings, and murder of Mayhem's Euronymous have been examined many times over, most famously in the book Lords Of Chaos. The forthcoming film Until The Light Takes Us takes it a step further, as the filmmakers were able to interview the madman himself, as well as key members of seminal black metal crews Ulver, Darkthrone, Immortal, Satyricon, and others all while living in Norway between 2001 and 2003.
Until the Light Takes Us is a feature length documentary chronicling the history, ideology and aesthetic of Norwegian black metal - a musical subculture infamous as much for a series of murders and church arsons as it is for its unique musical and visual aesthetics. This is the first (and only) film to truly shed light on a movement that has heretofore been shrouded in darkness and rumor and obscured by inaccurate and shallow depictions... Featuring: Gylve "Fenriz" Nagell, Varg Vikernes, Jan Axel "Hellhammer" Blomberg, Kjetil "Frost" Haraldstad, Ivar Bjornson, Abbath and Demonaz Doom Occulta, Kris "Garm" Rygg, Bjarne Melgaard, Harmony Korine, and more. The film, shot on 35 mm and dv, is directed and produced by Audrey Ewell and Aaron Aites.
If the name Aaron Aites looks a little familiar to you, it's because he also plays in a little band called Iran with Kyp of TV On The Radio. Iran is scheduled to play SXSW as well, having lined up a show at Club de Ville on 3/21 with Titus Andronicus, Violens, Ponytail, Colourmusic, and The Warlocks.

Until The Light Takes Us is screening at SXSW too - on March 19th at the Alamo Drafthouse with a question/answer session with Ewell and Aites. Tickets are on sale and a shuttle service is available to and from the theater.

Trailer, interviews with the filmmakers, and clips below...

Until The Light Takes Us trailer

Varg Vikernes (Burzum, Mayhem) in a clip from Until The Light Takes Us

Fenriz (Darkthrone) in a clip from Until The Light Takes Us

An Interview with Audrey Ewell and Aaron Aites

Audrey Ewell and Aaron Aites in a Press Junket about Until The Light Takes Us.

Damn, need to see that movie.

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2009 6:13 PM

Oh man, this is a phenomenal post. Such great news all around

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2009 6:17 PM

SEVERED WAYS is at the Angelika now - and features music from Burzum and other favorites.

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2009 7:06 PM

definitely looking forward to this

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2009 7:18 PM

FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!

Posted by BEAVIS | March 16, 2009 8:27 PM

Harmony Korine?

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2009 9:28 PM

yes harmony korine.
dude's a massive black metal fan.
even the average fan of his knows that.

Posted by Anonymous | March 16, 2009 10:45 PM

time to listen to _Filosofem_...

Posted by Anonymous | March 17, 2009 9:27 AM

nazi punks fuck off

Posted by Sacred Absolute Hipster Cow | March 17, 2009 10:39 AM

take the skinheads bowling

Posted by Anonymous | March 17, 2009 1:53 PM

but what time does the extermination of all the inferior mud races, er, um, I meant 'Daft Punk' go on?

Posted by Anonymous | March 17, 2009 5:43 PM

^^Ha Ha, er, um NOT.

Posted by blackhat | March 17, 2009 5:55 PM

Man, hearing the film makers talk is really painful. "Lo-fi" is not a genre, it's an aesthetic. I have never heard "lo-fi" associated w/ "experimental" music; if anything, "Lo-fi" was derivative pop . . . stripped down, recorded on cheap technologies.

The other side of the coin is that "indie" is not an "aesthetic," it's an anti-corporate approach to pressing and distributing records. God, the terms have totally lost all meaning, even among these folks.

Posted by Anonymous | March 17, 2009 6:10 PM

Nah, you're pushing on them what you think they mean.

Posted by Pseudonymous | April 6, 2009 6:45 AM

..yo pienso que tendrian que dejar en libertad a varg asi lograr que la sociedad recapacite,el cometio errores pero quien no?es humano como cualquiera de nosotros,lucho y pelio por un ideal,quien esta absuelto de eso,todos tenemos un proposito en este mundo por el cual quisieramos llegar alcanzar,asi que vamos dejar engañar y engañarnos como si es algo nuevo lo que ocurrio porque si es culpable por peliar por algo que quiere todos los somos...

Posted by Lorena De Los Santos | April 8, 2009 12:44 AM

I THINK THAT ITS ABOUT TIME THAT VIKERNES IS FINALLY SET FREE EVERY BODY HATES AND WILL EVENTUALLY KILL ESPECIALLY IF YOU WERE THREATEND AND WERE IN A SITUATION OF KILL OR DIE!!!
ITS ONLY REASONABLE!!!

Posted by BELIAL | December 1, 2009 12:20 PM

I wish i could download this movie. I've been downloading lots of old movies. I'm making my own video library =>

Posted by download movies | December 10, 2009 4:39 PM

expecting a miracle >:)
can't wait for the release!

Posted by Asmodeus666 | February 3, 2010 12:04 PM

That's really so interesting article. I enjoyed the videos and thanks for sharing.

Posted by Metwal Movie | February 13, 2010 1:46 PM

I have seen the documentary it's quite good actually. I can't wait to own it on DVD one day hopefully...

Posted by anonymous | February 16, 2010 1:39 PM

Don't know if any of you write to this guy, but I did (I like his music, so what?). Basically I wrote a letter to him regarding about Christianity and how he says it's a degenrate religion and all. Since he's a white supremacist, I also asked him about the KKK and their love for Christianity as well as the white supremacist who say they're christian. Here's what his letter read, though I'm not sure if I translated it correctly. All in all, the guys fucked up, but good for a laugh:

"Christianity IS a degenerate religion in that it is a branch off of Judaism, the very bastard religion made by the Jews who destroyed all of Europe with their proto-capitalist system. I am deeply disgusted and amused that some of these white supremacist organizations like the KKK and the Aryan Nations continue to fawn over Christianity as if it were the white man's religion. No it is not. As I've stated in my biography, the pagan religions ARE our true roots. There is a splinter within our race because of the Christian religion. But if what I've read is true and that more and more whites are leaving Christianity due to its liberal way of thinking, then there may be still some hope in the future for the golden "aryan dawn". I just hope these fags put away the satanist outfit and accept our pagan heritage as I've had."

wat...?

Posted by Niteroi | February 18, 2010 3:45 PM

16 years is a life sentence in norway?

Posted by Anonymous | November 1, 2010 1:23 PM

21 years is the max in Norway no matter what the crime is.
I've been listening to black metal since 96 and have seen it fall apart through the years. The black metal of today is not even really black metal, it's mainstream bullshit. This type of music is so easy to get your hands on now and I remember back when I started listening to it the albums were extremely hard to find.
I have this movie and watch it sometimes as a reminder of why I started listening to black metal.For the depth behind the lyrics and the TRUE statement they were trying to make.

Posted by Anonymous | January 20, 2011 3:13 PM

What's next - an exotica revival? Jim Goad starts another 'zine? Undiscovered GG Allin outtakes?

This shit was tiresome 16 years ago, and 16 times as tiresome now.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | January 20, 2011 3:19 PM