Posted in Contests | music on April 2, 2009

APW

Congratulations to Kristian! He won two general admission tickets to the 2nd day of the All Points West festival (July 31-Aug 2, 2009 in Jersey City, NJ). To win, he only needed to name 13 of the artists on this year's lineup. It was harder than it looked. Nobody else guessed thirteen or more. One person guessed twelve right, and two people guessed eleven. Everyone else got 10 or less correct (note: there is a chance I messed up, so if you think you did better, let me know).

Nobody guessed Yelle or Organized Konfusion. 47 people guessed Vivian Girls (who aren't playing). A lot of people guessed Peter Bjorn and John who (also not playing) will actually be in NYC the two days after APW (with Depeche Mode).

As previously mentioned, APW Tickets go on pre-sale today, April 2nd, at noon (password = WRXP).

You can see the top four entries below...

FIRST PLACE

7 white rabbits
8 yeah yeah yeahs
9 the black keys
10 mgmt
11 vampire weekend
Posted by Samantha | March 29, 2009 10:33 PM

That's funny. Phish usually plays all the music at their festivals, whereas this one has numerous bands. At $10 a band: THIS IS A STEAL!

Posted by j | April 2, 2009 6:55 AM

What are the chances that MBV plays opposite of Tool on different stages at the same time? I don't think that would happen due to the volume. I am debating going, but I want to see both bands.

Posted by David | April 2, 2009 7:00 AM

I'm going to wait until they announce the actual Saturday schedule. If Tool and MBV aren't playing on the same stage... it's going to make it a tougher decision to go.

This festival won't sell out before they announce the set times, etc. And if it does, I would be shocked if people weren't unloading tix left and right on craigslist. Seems to always happen with this kinda thing. It'll most likely be cheaper getting tix on craigslist the day before the show than on ticketmaster 4 months ahead of time.

Posted by wembley | April 2, 2009 7:13 AM

Even though I lost the contest, I'm actually kind of glad I did. Plain and simple, the lineup is just underwhelming.

Posted by Mike | April 2, 2009 8:26 AM

woo, second. I might have won if I had gone on instinct with the ting tings and crystal castles, both of whom i dropped late because they were scheduled for bonnaroo.

if things are run like last year, Tool presumably will play on their own, with MBV (or Arctic Monkeys?) as a lead-in. i wonder if the billing indicates that MBV and Gogol Bordello would play opposite one another. it's possible that the schedule will be different from last year, though.

Posted by Ben | April 2, 2009 8:33 AM

Good points about how they stagger the performance times...that was a bit of a disaster last year. At face value, the lineup might look decent, but in reality, it can be a bitch (nay impossible) to see all the groups you want to see. A potential deal-breaker for me, no doubt.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 10:05 AM

definitely think Friday's line-up looks the strongest.

Posted by baby genius | April 2, 2009 10:12 AM

kristian is now selling the tickets on ebay as i type. i'm going sat, just to see tool.

with all the gripes last years, i had a great time, w/o even drinking a beer (the beautiful weather helped). sneaking in green stuff this year.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 10:20 AM

I'M SO MAD I BOUGHT TICKETS TO ALL TOMORROWS PARTIES! Every band sucks and all these festivals are perfectly awesome!

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 10:28 AM

Anon 10:28:
Are you crazy? This lineup is a joke compared to the Saturday lineup for ATP! Come on, the melvins, animal collective, atlas sound and akron/family? This lineup is a half-assed attempt from AEG to try to be "indie." While ATP actually has bands with talent on their lineup(minus the underwhelming Flaming Lips). Get your priorities straight!

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 11:22 AM

I bet that the joke sells out

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 11:39 AM

The Jesus Lizard has talent? please...

Posted by Kurt C | April 2, 2009 11:58 AM

sold out

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 12:04 PM

the jesus lizard have little talent, but the flaming lips are still the best!! people are not going to atp for the jesus lizard. silly boy, they are a minor act

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 12:11 PM

ATP BLOWS!
This is a real festival !!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 12:13 PM

when will akron kick out the bassist?

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 12:15 PM

hope there is an actual line for the light rail this year

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 12:18 PM

11:22 are you saying you'd rather see Melvins/Animal Collective over Tool/MBV?

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 12:22 PM

why....would they kick out miles? he's fucking amazing. they all are.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 12:33 PM

ATP v APW? apples v oranges? assholes v dbags? i mean, FUCK. whats wrong with a little something for everyone. am i allowed to like jesus lizard and coldplay? or do i have to define myself so you pricks can compartmentalize me in your nice neat boxes.

Posted by sloweducation | April 2, 2009 12:53 PM

Anon 12:22
I've already seen MBV @ the Roseland show, which was perfect. I doubt the noise holocaust will be matched at the APW show. Also, Tool and MBV are probably going to be playing at the same time in order to spread the crowd out amongst two stages, so you better pick your allegiance now.

Anon 12:15
Since Ryan left the group, Miles has taken a huge step forward in the band. I have seen Akron/Family 3 times, twice with Ryan and the NYE show, and Miles carried the band at the NYE show. So, why the fuck would they kick him out of the band?

FYI: I said the Saturday lineup at ATP looks great, which has nothing to do with the Jesus Lizard. The Jesus Lizard is playing Friday night with Suicide and the Feelies. So before everyone gets so "high & mighty" about Jesus Lizard having talent, take note that I gave recognition to a lineup that doesn't including them.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 12:56 PM

they definitely won't play at the same time. nobody will be playing when tool is on

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 12:59 PM

they should kick out miles so they can end an otherwise great show before he lulls the audience to sleep with half an hour of whispered sentimental nonsense

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 1:03 PM

12:56- Yeah I saw them at Roseland as well. They probably won't have them on at the same time, but I definitely see a scenario where MBV plays on a different stage one set earlier and the lead in to Tool is Gogol Bordello, (if you go by last year's non-sensical Kings of Leon opening for Radiohead).

But you bring up a good point in any case- the main stage area is much too small to hold a massive crowd, and the smart thing to do would be to have some bands playing the other stage, to reduce the crowding, Lollapalooza and Coachella both do this and they should do it here. So yeah, Gogol Bordello being on vs Tool would be a smart move I think, they were on vs Bjork at Coachella 2 years ago and it worked out pretty good if I remember right.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 1:19 PM

saturday is sold out.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 1:30 PM

We're sorry Anon 12:56. You are correct! The Jesus Lizard is on a bullshit night, thankfully

Anyone want to buy my ATP tix 4 dirt cheap?

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 1:31 PM

Got my 3 day.. YES!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 1:44 PM

glad vivian girls arent playing it...

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 4:15 PM

pure unadulturated shit fest.

it will be a beautiful weekend in New York City because all of the people who like this flavor of garbage will be in Jersey. awesome!

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 4:24 PM

got my 3 day, it'll be a great time.

no one plays the same time as any of the headliners. i cant imagine mbv going on anytime except for right before tool on the main stage.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 4:24 PM

they better be prepared for a massive squeeze up by that stage when Tool comes on. It could get ugly. Just want to put it out there so you can't say people are always smart after the fact...

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 4:58 PM

Rage has played Coachella before and so has tool. I think Goldenvoice can handle it

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 5:40 PM

Looks like it's another shitty lineup, but isn't that's whats to be expected for a production company trying to cater to hipsters, guidos and frat boys? What a fucking joke....at least Animal Collective (aka the Aphex Twin wannabes) aren't on the bill this year!

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2009 2:35 PM

Obvious troll is obvious

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2009 2:54 PM

Can you email me with some pointers on how you made your site look this awesome, I would appreciate it.

Posted by jocuri | September 5, 2012 12:44 AM