Posted in music | pictures on April 19, 2009

MIA

"M.I.A. gave the main stage at Coachella her best shot. It just didn't work out.

After a strong start, a few hiccups, and a somewhat listless finale, the Grammy-nominated new mom declared at the end of her hour-long set in the desert that "next time I'm back in the tent."

"I want to be in the sweat," she said.

M.I.A. had performed twice in smaller tents at the music festival, in its tenth year and one of the nation's most prestigious.

She noted earlier, "I really don't know how to bring it on the main stage." And her live show staples--climbing on speakers, dancing body-to-body with the crowd--didn't quite fit the new digs. When she tried to bring some of the audience onstage Saturday night, security guards thwarted most fans.

M.I.A. ended up on a platform above the crowd performing "Bird Flu," and asked when it was over: "Can we get some order in the place? My baby's waiting." She gave birth to a son in February, a few days after the Grammys." [Times Standard]

Plenty of fans did get on stage too - security was definitely not happy about it though. M.I.A. was playing in Amy Winehouse's place last night. The show didn't seem as bad (on the stream) as the above review makes it sound. Then came the Killers (still streaming as I type this actually) and Day Two of the three-day festival was over. Earlier in the day Glasvegas cancelled their set. What I saw of Beirut's performance on the stream sounded great.

Friday night Paul McCartney played "a two-and-a-half-hour performance of solo hits from the '70s, new songs released by his alter-ego the Fireman, plus 20 Beatles classics". Morrissey and Leonard Cohen played the same day.

Sunday is my favorite day. We'll have lots of pictures soon. In the meantime, below are more stills from the M.I.A. stream...

MIA

this is not surprisingly considering how bad she sucked at siren fest a few years ago. just b/c she's marketed differently doesn't mean she's anything more than a pop star like any teeny bopper.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 3:01 AM

Thankfully, I don't pick the music I listen to according to its marketing strategies or who's supposed to be listening to it. If it sounds good to my ears, it's good enough for me. The couple of times I've seen her live, she was very good.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 4:54 AM

not good enough to win an oscar apparently

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 8:59 AM

guess she hasn't burned off that baby fat yet

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 9:45 AM

she was boring at studio b a couple of years ago so i'm sure on a a gigantic stage its even worse

Posted by jason | April 19, 2009 10:21 AM

i guess she's ok, as long as she doesn't make the v-sign or whatever it is she always does in every photo

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 10:49 AM

MCCARTNEY WAS INSANE !!! !!! !!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 11:02 AM

nothing worse than a post-pregnant fat ass!

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 11:04 AM

She's gross! Is that her talentless (except for counting daddy's cash) baby daddy on stage in that pic? If so, figures as he could never achieve that stages status with his band(s).

Looks like a big ole dump in the desert!

Posted by Anon | April 19, 2009 11:27 AM

sounds absolutely awful...

Posted by Matt | April 19, 2009 11:42 AM

mia couldn't pull off a good live set if her life depended on it. she's all bells and whistles and neon leggings, but when it comes down to it, she's just got NO talent.

fail.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 12:03 PM

legitimate success = being shunned by the people who "originally discovered" your music.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 12:49 PM

"Thankfully, I don't pick the music I listen to according to its marketing strategies or who's supposed to be listening to it."

Yes, because clearly an agenda based on profit would have no impact on the overall quality of the music. What an enlightened individualist you are.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 2:33 PM

must be great to get from a tent to the big stage without any new music, eh?

i'm not at all into her music and therefor was not motivated to stay up late to stream it, but Spin magazine gave her "the best set of the day"

Posted by dee | April 19, 2009 3:48 PM

MIA has more talent in her lil pinky finger..........then any other female mc on earth, right now!!!

In all of my life I have never loved an artist so much as I do MIA....SHE ROCKS EVERYCONCERT SHE DOES AND I LOVE HER.....RYE RYE AND DA TROPIX!!!!!!!!

Posted by WackieJ | April 19, 2009 4:51 PM

Here are a bunch of good clips on YouTube from Coachella '09:

Posted by Matt | April 19, 2009 5:31 PM

this is some faux hate shit!
sometimes i think, maybe m.i.a isn't as beatles-famous as everybodys havin me think. then i come online and see all this 'cool' hate! you know somebody's popular when you have people just dry-hatin everything you do!
what all you paper-planes-bumpin haters dont know is, this girl grinded through the past 6 years of this 'cool'ness, and earned every little bit of the success that she's currently enjoying! deny that!
her style might not be your thing, but saying she has no talent just shows your lack of understanding for music in general.

Posted by john | April 19, 2009 6:31 PM

Spin magazine gave her "the best set of the day" Huh? MIA was awful last night. The crowd just stood there waiting for something to happen. She seemed like she hadn't even rehearsed at all. VERY unprofessional. "I really don't know how to bring it on the main stage." WTF is that? She has a few decent songs but as a performer, she sucks. Even The Killers (who are pretty lame)blew her away. I've seen her 3 times now. Luckily I never had to pay.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 7:23 PM

@ Anon 7:23. Thanks for sharing that tidbit about, like, seeing her sooo many times already, i mean for reals, and like thank god i didn't to pay, cuz like, if you pay you are sooo uncool.

Posted by i hate cool guys | April 19, 2009 10:43 PM

Hey i hate cool guys: It's very simple. I don't like to pay for lame entertainment. That was my point. It has nothing to do with being cool. Oh yeah, I hate people who hate cool guys!

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 10:53 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2009 1:12 AM

i was there.

m.i.a. rocked the crowd. HARD!!! by far the best on saturday. people drifted towards the exit when the killers came on. for all the haters, continue to do so from your cubicle, move out the way and let the bangers do their thang!!!

Posted by lynn | April 20, 2009 10:58 AM

Love her music but every time ive seen her live i was never really blown away or anything. No stage presence and her voice doesnt carry well live.

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2009 11:12 AM

At least she's honest. I can take her or leave her. i'm not a hater but didn't think she'd be able to pull of the mainstage.

Posted by BB | April 20, 2009 12:14 PM

---"this guy "john" or someone posting in the exact same style is on every m.i.a. thread for the past three years talking about "haters." either the PR company can't afford to pay someone who can write, or... WAIT... m.i.a... is that you?!?!"----
Posted by Anonymous

this is getting wierd. you just took this to a whole new level, homey. there must be a lot of people working for her, because whatever posts you're reading aren't from me. if someone's getting paid for commenting on a blog that nobodys like you or i read, then somebody needs to tell me where to sign up! because i'm broke as a joke! but i'll still tell you, hater, when you're acting like a fool!

Posted by john | April 20, 2009 2:41 PM