Posted in music | tour dates on April 7, 2009

Cymbals Eat Guitars

WE ARE NOT PLAYING AT THE NORTHSIDE FESTIVAL BKLYN!!!
Hey Everyone,

Contrary to the recent press release, Cymbals Eat Guitars are not playing at the Northside Festival in Brooklyn NY. There seems to have been some mistake.

We'll have an update shortly.

Thanks for your patience,

CEG [via MySpace]

Staten Island's Cymbals Eat Guitars's music career was given a jolt on March 16th when Pitchfork delclared their new self-released album, Why There Are Mountains, "Best New Music". You can listen on MySpace.

They may not be playing the Northside Festival, but they are playing Monkeytown Wednesday night, opening for The Walkmen and Beach House at Webster Hall on April 16th, and playing all of the shows listed below...

Cymbals Eat Guitars - 2009 Tour Dates
Apr 8 - Monkey Town (Reservations Required - Click for info) Brooklyn, New York
Apr 16 - Webster Hall w/ the Walkmen and Beach House New York, New York
Apr 19 - Public Assembly Brooklyn, New York
May 8 - Cameo Brooklyn, New York
May 9 - Santos Party House w/ Real Estate New York, New York
May 22 - Middle East (Downstairs) Cambridge, Massachusetts
May 27 - Southpaw Brooklyn, New York
Jun 5 - Reward Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

they seem upset about this

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2009 2:49 PM

That Cameo show on May 8th has an awesome bill.

It's CeG, Japandroids, Drink Up Buttercup, & The Antlers

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2009 2:50 PM

What is the deal with these guys? They totally sound like a wannabe pavement.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2009 3:22 PM

These guys suck by leaps and bounds. They're just another Tapes 'N Tapes quality Pitchforked band.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2009 3:40 PM

I heard that Towels Eat Towels will be playing every show at TowelFest, though. Towels are only $45 if you act now.

Posted by Clayton Robbins | April 7, 2009 3:51 PM

WE ARE NOT BEST NEW MUSIC, WE ARE NOT EVEN GOOD.

Contrary to what you may have read on the internet, we are NOT good. There has obviously been some mistake.

We have no original thought, we can't sing and we can't even tune our guitars.

We'll have a backlash shortly.

Thank you for being lemmings.

CEG

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2009 4:04 PM

I disagree with you, CEG. I think you're very good!

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2009 4:09 PM

if i hear another Noun Verb Noun band name, im gonna kill a puppy.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2009 4:42 PM

Wait are we supposed to fall for some reverse psychology trick now? Wait you're bad no no no you're good!

Wait

Yeah didn't work still don't like you guys

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2009 5:57 PM

So snarky! We'll see, I guess...

Posted by Joseph P. D'Agostino | April 7, 2009 8:10 PM

Well Joey, it's pretty obvious you guys are so concerned about what's being said about you here on BrooklynVegan that it's easy to see how a band could create such a generic indie rock, boring, derivative album. Perhaps shut us up with your talent and not through defensive internet squabbling.

Posted by Mike | April 7, 2009 10:22 PM

Who's squabbling or being defensive? I'm a music fan just like you, and I read this site occasionally, along with pitchfork and largeheartedboy and a number of others. But yeah, I'm human, and I'm young yet, so I guess I'm still susceptible to baseless screeds about my technical proficiency or my ability to kill it live. My sincerest "my bad"'s. I'm thrilled I can elicit yr trollhate though, Mikey, it's about ten times more gratifying than an ego stroke. Admittedly it was a mistake to comment in the first place. Won't happen again!

Posted by Joseph P. D'Agostino | April 8, 2009 12:09 AM

Wow, all I asked was that you prove me wrong and I get the horns of a bull. Nice job throwing a fit over the internetz. How old are you guys anyway, because your response was something I'd expect from a member of Be Your Own Pet when they were 16. You guys are in the spotlight now and should be careful what you. I'm not trying to be a dick about this, but I never thought I'd hear something so passive aggressive coming from a band breaking through and getting a lot of media buzz at the moment.

Posted by "Mikey" | April 8, 2009 8:26 AM

Joseph, I hope you guys grow into your own and wish you the best with your music.

I recently read a praising article with The Wrens who had nothing but goods things to say about you all.

Be careful of the trolls as they only want to back you into a corner!

Posted by The real Mike | April 8, 2009 8:40 AM

I think you guys are assuming "Mike" is Mike from L Magazine, but there is really no way to tell and it was probably not him at all.

However whats the deal with their denial? I dont get it.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2009 8:51 AM

L Magazine...10 pages of content + 60 pages of advertising...super worthwhile for finding out about shows that happened last week...

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2009 9:24 AM

do all of you people act this hateful in your real lives? it's scary to think that so many of you could be so cruel to people you don't know.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2009 9:52 AM

1) No I'm not from L Magazine, and why my opinion about this mattered at all to begin with, I don't know. I always just assume people posting as band members on here are just fakes and the above from Cymbals very well could be. My comment from 8:40am is how I feel about it all at the end of the day.

2) 9:52am, agreed. I posted my feelings and supposedly Joseph responded, but it allowed us to exchange our opinions maturely. I don't think other people on here are prepared to do so with their reckless commentary.

Posted by Mike | April 8, 2009 10:01 AM

9:52 - what real lives? they obviously act this way due, in part anyway, to their lack of a life.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2009 10:13 AM

I'm sorry, what's so wrong about sounding a little like Pavement?

It's not like no other band in the history of music worthy of BV assholes' comments hasn't emulated the sound of their indie rock ancestors, in one way or another. Give me a fucking break.

If you're so original and transcendental, let's hear YOUR album.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2009 10:14 AM

BOOM.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2009 1:15 PM

Lemmings is the operative word.
Holy FUCK is it the operative word.
And the same goes for every asshole on this site and others.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2009 2:06 PM

Saw CEG on accident once at Cake shop. They had a stack of cds that they were giving away. I took one and was happy I did. And The Hazy Sea is a damn good song.

Posted by No 1 Lemming | April 8, 2009 2:18 PM

Cymbals Eat Guitars getting a Best New Music on Pitchfork was kinda like when the WWF gave the Intercontinental title to a gimmick wrestler like The Mountie. You knew the reign was going to be shortlived and forgettable.

Posted by Anonymous | April 10, 2009 2:25 PM