Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on April 6, 2009

photos by Anna Scialli

Dan Deacon at nyu

Dan Deacon played NYU's Kimmel Center Thursday, April 2nd, with openers Future Islands, Teeth Mountain and Miracles of Modern Science. The show was the first of his extensive, Bromst-supporting spring tour. At it, Deacon performed with "a full 14 piece live ensemble similar to the one that performed with him at the Brooklyn Masonic Temple back in Dec. but with different members." [full line-up below]

As previously reported, Dan + Ensemble swing back around to NYC for two days in mid-May. The first of those is a Friday, May 15th Todd P show with Teeth Mountain and Double Dagger (venue tba). The second is Saturday, May 16th at Bowery Ballroom. For those who didn't get tickets to the sold out Saturday night show, a second, late set has just been added. Tickets for that set go on sale Tuesday, April 7th at noon. For those gigs, Dan's tourmates will split opening duties - Teeth Mountain play the 8pm set and Future Islands open the midnight show.

More NYU pictures and two videos, and the DD ensemble line-up, below...

Future Islands...

Dan Deacon at nyu

Miracles of Modern Science...

Teeth Mountain...

Dan Deacon...

Dan Deacon at nyu

Dan Deacon's live ensemble for this tour:

Benny Boeldt: keyboard, sampler, synthesizer
Denny Bowen: drum kit
Andrew Burt: guitar, violin
Andrew Bernstein: saxophone, guitar
William Cashion: keyboard
Stephe Cooper: mallets, guitar
Dan Deacon: voice, electronics, keyboard, sampler
Gregg Fox: drum kit, mallets
Justine Frye: cello, mallets
Chester Gwazda: keyboard, sampler, synthesizer
Kate Levitt: percussion
Kevin O'Meara: percussion
Sam Sowyrda: mallets
Gerrit Welmers: keyboard, sampler, synthesizer

even though the ensemble needed a little practice, dan deacon put on one hell of a show. the kids were dancing so much, the walls were shaking 4 floors up!

Posted by lauren | April 6, 2009 10:50 AM

Wow.... the vids are sh*t quality but the audio is purty good....

Maybe I should see him in May... bah.

Posted by juan | April 6, 2009 10:55 AM

Please Lord, help us. The kids are stupid and know not what they do.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2009 11:00 AM

Please Lord, help us. The commenter above is a grouchy old douchebag and knows not what he thinks he knows.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2009 11:26 AM

pants pudding

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2009 11:55 AM

why wasn't dan deacon on the bill for the david lynch benefit?

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2009 12:12 PM

It was very, very fun show.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2009 12:22 PM

How was future islands?

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2009 12:31 PM

vids are awesome, thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2009 2:30 PM

That's a tight Ducks jersey.

Posted by Eric | April 6, 2009 2:40 PM

"How was future islands?"

They were fantastic. Their recordings do no justice to how great they were performing live-- the vocalist sort of reminds me of how Jack Black performs in School of Rock, but in the best way possible... its really engaging. I would go see this tour again (if I could) just to see FI one more time.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2009 3:50 PM

Future Islands were fucking awesome. Please record new material soon.

Posted by Anonymous | April 6, 2009 8:00 PM

Saw him last night.

I've gotta say that he was all over the place -- lacked the energy of his solo shows, and the ensemble clearly had never played together before the tour.

They even admitted to not sound-checking before the performance, and spent about half of the 60-minute set swearing at the sound guy because their monitors weren't working. It was the closest I've come to witnessing an artist have a complete meltdown on stage.

I felt bad for the sound guy too. Situations like that are the EXACT reason why bands need to run through a sound-check before the performance, ESPECIALLY with a 14-piece band.

Posted by andrew | April 7, 2009 1:21 AM

Y'EAH

Posted by gdfx | April 7, 2009 5:15 AM

oh man, if 1:21 is right that's a bummer.

dan's a talented guy, contrary to whatever bullshit poeople have to say about him here.

I'd hate it if this whole ensemble thing crashed and burned. I think he thinks he's gotta do something along those lines (big orchestral production) to win over the haters who think he's got no talent. Problem is, Dan is a musical wiz kid and a natural entertainer, not an administrator or an academic. It takes a lot of skills that aren't musical to pull off managing and conducting a big orchestra.

if this bombs, who knows what he'll do?

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2009 12:31 PM

Saw the 4/3 show in Philly. Walked in early to catch the sound check which was pretty fascinating. I was expecting to be blown away by Deacon, as Bromst is my new favorite record, but my feelings are mixed. He spent way too much time yelling at the sound guys, stopping for 20 mins after his first song to bitch about the sound and also how he hates being pushed, etc. Throughout the show he kept stopping to bitch about how close people were to him, each other, how this isnt a punk rock show, how people need to STEP BACK, how he knows he keeps bitching, how he knows hes a narcissist, etc etc. Well, if you've ever been to the 'Church' you know its a wee tiny basement. There was no where else for people to move. He chose to stand in the crowd, so perhaps such crowding was to be expected. So, while I appreciate his work, energy, etc, and think he is a sort of genius, I can't say the show worked for me. But, it may be because I chose to chill in the back, away from the chaos. The real kicker (as in, in the balls) came toward the end of the set when Deacon stopped to bitch once again, and yelled at the r5 promoter, 'Hey Sean, Next time, we're doing this shit upstairs, sitting down!' -- Would have MUCH preferred that Dan, Sean.

Posted by Brian | April 7, 2009 12:37 PM

It's odd that they didn't do a soundcheck...especially since I saw him wandering around 14th & 6th earlier in the day, eating a sandwich on the street...so it's not like they arrived & set up just before doors and didn't have time to do a soundcheck. Oh well...priorities, I guess.

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2009 1:32 PM

I think Dan is on the edge of a nervous breakdown. he was doing the same thing at the Masonic Temple show. I think he's just got to chill a little and go with the flow, instead of stopping the show for ten minutes because the monitors dont sound right...

Posted by Anonymous | April 7, 2009 1:50 PM

I'm out west here on the tour route - I'll try to report back here in a few weeks on any improvements on the band/monitors.

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2009 12:08 PM