Posted in music | pictures on April 2, 2009

photos by Chris La Putt

Ida
Ida Maria

The Ida Maria and Glasvegas tour came through NYC on Saturday (MHOW, 3/28) and Monday (Webster Hall, 3/30). The two UK acts toured together from SXSW to Boston (3/31), and they will share a bill again at least one more time in April - at the Coachella Festival on the west coast. Hopefully (current BrooklynVegan.com obsession) Ida decides to stop by the east coast again while she's in the country (at the moment that is her only scheduled date)...

"...She's really rather fantastic. I love her album, Fortress Round My Heart, and her voice is even rawer and more frayed live, though she and her band are still tight and technically competent. I think she had a cold, but the cracks and friction in her chest only made her sound better [at Webster Hall], in my opinion.

She was done quickly, though I wouldn't be surprised if she had made it through her whole album, since it clocks in at a mere 31 minutes." [hornblower]

Ida Maria also played a previous two-night NYC engagement in January, performing at Union Hall and the Mercury Lounge. At SXSW, she only played the Perez Hilton party

Glasvegas' upcoming dates include an opening gig for U2 at London's Wembley Stadium on August 15th.

All tour dates and more pictures from Webster Hall below...

Glasvegas...

Ida Maria - 2009 Tour Dates
4.18.09 Coachella - Indio, CA

Jack White?

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 4:18 PM

to me she was more like Ida MEHria

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 4:28 PM

Ida Maria opened up for The Clash last night?

Posted by michaelways | April 2, 2009 4:31 PM

the MHOW show was really great the other night. Both acts were top notch.

These pictures from the Webster Hall show almost make me wish I went to that one too! I'm diggin' Ida's crazy hair.

Posted by wembley | April 2, 2009 4:44 PM

Ida hit that.

I wish I looked like the singer from Glas Vegas. But unfortunately I resemble a loser who spends too much time on the interwebs.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 4:47 PM

went for ida, had to leave after 4 glasvegas songs

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 4:58 PM

Glasvegas was a joke, all the songs sound the same, one big blaaaahh performance

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 4:59 PM

that "joke" is going to be playing arenas in a few years.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 5:13 PM

nickelback plays arenas

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 5:19 PM

touche

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 5:28 PM

BV, you are obsessed with Ida Maria?! That explains all the coverage on her.

She sounds/looks/acts to me like the stereotypically fabricated "artist". Actually, as far as that is concerned she and Glasvegas are a shoe-in. BLAH!

Posted by dee | April 2, 2009 6:12 PM

5:13,

I don't see Glasvegas playing arenas since their songs just aren't hooky enough to entertain the masses.

Also, do you guys wear earplugs to shows? I forgot mine for The Hold Steady show @ Irving on Mon and it was literally painful on my ears. (Before you ask, yes I am an old puss at the ripe age of 25).

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 7:03 PM

I'd(a) like to say I would not hit that and add how unremarkable Glasvegas are.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 7:33 PM

only weenies wear ear plugs.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 7:58 PM

its pronounced eeeeeeDUH

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 8:06 PM

she got them big arms, like them eyetalian women. yes, all eyetalian women have big arms.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 8:49 PM

Hi, it's me again, nut who was in the front row last time Ida hit up Manhattan, and subsequently was in all the pictures. I was front row again, because she's that important to me. (Not center this time, unfortunately- three people off to the right.)

Was Ida Maria incredible? Absolutely. Of course. I actually did the exact same thing as 4:58- went for Ida, left during the fourth Glasvegas song (all four were the same, and their lights were going to give me seizures, despite the fact that I'm not epileptic)- and she was more than worth the $30. Alas, she wasn't as good as at Mercury Lounge a couple of months back, despite having much more awesome hair the first time out. The difference? At Mercury, she was the headliner- everyone was there for her- and she was a foot from the crowd, not on a stage behind a barrier. This time, the audience enthusiasm just wasn't there, and you could actively see it. Her facial expresses, her stage banter, her energy... all of it was really hurt by the fact that most of the audience didn't know who she was, and few people were excited for her appearance. It was a real shame, but if she's still that amazing being a (generally) unknown opener, the next time I see her when she's the headliner, the third go-round will be the best.

Posted by Anonymous | April 2, 2009 9:24 PM

Hey, thanks for quoting/linking me. I agree with 9:24 that the barrier was a bit odd. Good show, though.

And earplugs would have been justified, if you're into that sort of thing.

Posted by hornblower | April 3, 2009 1:30 AM

She's starting to show

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 2:39 AM

Gonna see Glasvegas open up for U2 in Dublin in July. Can't wait!

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 10:21 AM

whatever

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 11:08 AM

fat arms

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 11:15 AM

I thought the MHOW was better for both artists. I thought Ida was good, but something came across as a bit gimmicky (maybe it is the ridiculous overexposure). She does have a great voice though. To say that all of Glasvegas's songs sound alike (aside from sounding like a sheep) is asinine. They left something to be desired in their Bowery show, to say that they were not good this time (or at least improved) is just being dishonest. I guess the vast majority of the crowd singing along was really disappointed in them but just faking it.

Posted by adam | April 3, 2009 6:35 PM