Posted in music on April 16, 2009

"She was talkative, funny, charming, adorable. She had a tattoo on her back that read "I Love Beards.""

Vice

Someone sent me a link to VICE's "DEPARTMENT OF OOPSIES! - WE HIRED A GRIFTER" article the other day (above picture included). I assumed, being that it was VICE, that it was a joke. I wasn't really sure what the point was.

It wasn't until someone else sent me the link to Wednesday's Observer article that I realized this was a true story. Gawker sums it up like this:

It's a crazy new hipster character fond of criminal and sexual hijinks! Let's meet Kari Ferrell, the 22 year-old tattooed Utah girl who scammed her way through hipster Brooklyn. Sex, lies, cancer, and bands, yea!

Kari's story first came out when she lied her way into a job at Vice. That lasted a week, until someone there Googled her and found out she was wanted back in Utah for fraud, theft, and $60K in bad checks, and was generally a con artist.

But today [4/15] former Gawkerer Doree Shafrir comes out with a monstrous piece in the Observer on Kari's whole freaking life story (Doree is most comfortable when dealing with the criminal element). Oh it is delightful, assuming you weren't personally unfortunate enough to come in contact with the brash young pathological liar/ vixen! The short version: Kari stole and scammed her way around Salt Lake City for a while, then decamped to Brooklyn, where she resumed stealing and scamming, using aggressive sex appeal and wild lies like "I have cancer" or "I'm pregnant" or "I work there" (sometimes all at once, to her boyfriends!) to get...money? Validation? She's obviously mad psycho. [Gawker]

The Observer article is full of familiar terms like, Vice, Union Pool, Williamsburg, GoldenVoice, Coachella, Rutgers, Happy Ending, beards, Brooklyn Label, Greenpoint, and AEG.

It's strange that she came to Brooklyn and used her real name. Check her out in the Salt Lake City Police's Most Wanted video below...

I'd hit it.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 1:31 PM

Five dollars says she has a beaver beard. Sexy.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 1:34 PM

herpes!

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 1:35 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 1:38 PM

Salt Lake PD can't spell "warrants"? No wonder they couldn't bust this chick.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 1:39 PM

I saw this bitch with Nick Zinner at the Dead Weather show the other night.

Cmon, I know a few of you idiots fucked this pig and got scammed out of money. Let's hear the stories.

And how hard is it to get a job at Vice????? Run Hipsters Run to Vice. Apparently they will hire ANYONE.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 1:40 PM

She's way cuter in that Observer article. Still though...I wouldn't even hit it with Dan Deacon's dick.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 1:45 PM

"Korean Abdul-Jabbar.” LOL!..That's priceless!

Posted by Big Perm | April 16, 2009 1:47 PM

"Dudes, she's REALLY unattractive. She must have scammed a bunch of insecure fat guys." 1:38 PM

Which is why the kindly BV posted it here, to warn his readers...a bunch of insecure, fat guys.

Posted by Bearded Lady | April 16, 2009 1:48 PM

“We found out she had been calling up clubs saying she wanted to be on the list, was from Vice and was going to review the show. Weird, right? But not that insane for a young kid to do."

not weird at all.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 1:48 PM

“She just said there was something weird with her birth certificate, since she’d been adopted from South Korea,” Mr. Hansen said. He believed her.

Of course he believed her, because he wanted to bang her!

That is the most hilarious thing about this, that dudes will screw anything. "She's taking my money and making all of this stuff up? Well I haven't gotten laid in 2 years so who cares!"

Posted by d | April 16, 2009 1:50 PM

Ha I love it! Brooklyns first ( and probably last) real Badass Hipster.
@anon 1:38 no one looks good in a mugshot, with some exceptions. She's probably got game to spare and I'd bet she'd have taken half the Hipsters in brooklyn left unabated. Love How Vice went all bitch when they found out one of their employees was a felon Wanted or no.

Posted by Rw | April 16, 2009 1:50 PM

“I want to give you a hand job with my mouth,” and was signed “Korean Abdul-Jabbar.”

this girl is my hero.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 1:52 PM

Be careful, she says she knows what time Daft Punk goes on and will tell you... for a price.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 1:53 PM

She's sexually aggressive, hipsters are effeminate, faux-ironic morons, so I'm sure she had no problem parking their tricycles in her airplane hanger.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 1:53 PM

I knew Vice magazine was a bunch of hypocrites. At least we still have Murder Dog.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 1:56 PM

she killed the guy in the McCarren Pool shed

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 1:57 PM

this girl is my hero.

This comment sums up all of the inherent racism/sexism that this clever, crazy girl fed off of. All of these assholes deserved it for trying to co-opt a "cool Asian" friend/pork a "hot Asian chick". How about being aware of who you like based on who they really are instead of trying to add more cool ethnic animals to your fucking honky circus/fuck a sideways pussy.

Posted by Hipster Honky | April 16, 2009 1:57 PM

she's crafty & she's just my type

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:02 PM

Within the next 30 years this woman will be President Ferrell.

Posted by Nostradamus | April 16, 2009 2:03 PM

I read about this all day yesterday to the point of exhaustion, BV you're late.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:04 PM

Hipster Honkey - it's okay, we won't judge you for falling victim to ms ferrell. we're all friends here.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:06 PM

That's a little too much information 2:04.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:06 PM

she is already the president of hipsters.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:07 PM

isn't that Margaret Cho?

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:07 PM

Aren't all hipsters grifters?

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:10 PM

They all look alike, don't they, 2:07.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:11 PM

@Hipster Honky 1:57 Ha ha. Going deep.

Posted by Rw | April 16, 2009 2:11 PM

"I am looking for a boy to allow me to be his beard, if you know what I mean. Basically, I need someone to toss their hot dog down my hallway, while I sing theme songs from syndicated television programs from the late 70's, early 80's."

she is our overlord

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:11 PM

You dont need a background check to work at VICE? I'm surprised.

....

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:12 PM

Of course the resurrgance of korean-hipster mouth hand jobs is part of the change Obama spoke about.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:13 PM

her photo must be on BV, in all the crowd photos from those Girl Talk shows last fall

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:14 PM

I call bullshit. This is a viral marketing stunt.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:16 PM

"All of these assholes deserved it for trying to co-opt a "cool Asian" friend/pork a "hot Asian chick"."

Oh just go fuck yourself Hipster Honky. These assholes deserved it cause they are losers for getting bitched by a girl and losing their money. They are assholes and losers for not having any real true pimp skills. But not for wanting to sex an Asian girl.
Stereotypes are there for a reason. There is truth to them. Asian girls are amazing in bed. They usually are very small and tight down there. They are extremely submissive and giving. Best of all they take it and love it in the tuchus.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:17 PM

As soon as she moved to Brooklyn, she made me and 800 of my friends (classmates, actually, we all went to Brown cuz RISD kept wanting to see a "portfolio" or some other kind of mushroom) buy skinny jeans and bikes with no brakes! WTF?? She was gonna make out with us but we didn't believe her; then she showed us that tattoo! Well, lady, we all got beards now, where the fudge are ya?

Posted by nightscientist | April 16, 2009 2:21 PM

We could have ruled the world together.

Posted by Bernie Maddoff | April 16, 2009 2:21 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:23 PM

Why did BV post this? So his readers could laugh at hipsters? Or as a public service to his readers (so they don't get taken in by her)?

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:26 PM

"They all look alike, don't they, 2:07."

No, she just looks like Margaret Cho. You must be racist.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:27 PM

Anonymous 2:23: "The Grifters' "Aint My Lookout" and "Crappin You Negative" are fine fine records"

True, but "One Sock Missing" blows them both out of the water.

Posted by Ben | April 16, 2009 2:32 PM

kery farrell, love child of will and perry

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:32 PM

some people don't know what a beard is.
think more village-y, less brooklyn-y

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:36 PM

KF I love you but you're bringing me down

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:36 PM

She's no hipster...the brooklyn power beard has been replaced by the Chromeo mustache.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:38 PM

Maybe white dudes will stop dating asian chicks now.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:39 PM

I think I had unprotected sex with this broad...oh well.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:39 PM

Who actually cares about Vice outside of Williamsburg?

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:40 PM

I would lay pipe too

Posted by DropinLoads | April 16, 2009 2:41 PM

i thought it was an i love ninjas tattoo. which would be all kinds of awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:47 PM

This is totally fake.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:49 PM

THREE CHEERS FOR KJ!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:50 PM

^Fake or not: it's still completely entertaining.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:51 PM

With 20 Kari Farrells you could clean out Williamsburg in a month.

Posted by Moriarity | April 16, 2009 2:52 PM

Every random, drunken encounter with an Asian hipster in the past 8 months is going to get blamed on this girl.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 2:57 PM

you know what i say...?
who cares

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 3:03 PM

i would not hit it

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 3:04 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 3:21 PM

I would hit it, knock it it to the ground and make sure I still have my wallet.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 3:21 PM

Wait...she's also sXe?

Awesome!

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 3:24 PM

she told me she would love me long time..

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 3:26 PM

vice is way more popular, and definiely still has more cool points, in the rest of the world than it is in brooklyn / new york 3:21PM

Uh, wow. Gross.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 3:28 PM

^if her last name was obama then that comment would be racist

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 3:29 PM

ugh, so sick of hearing about this story already.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 3:37 PM

Cuter with short hair, as I usually think most girls are.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 3:39 PM

she offered me kim chi the other night, but i told her it was too spicy for me.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 3:40 PM

She is apparently now going through Craigslist in NYC and Phila trying to find places to live.
I just put up a few fake housing ads in both areas on Craigslist. Im dying to meet this chick. I so want to fuck her. I dont care that she has fucked like 1000 guys already. I love crazy insane chicks. They are so fucking amazing in bed.

Although I cant find any article where any of the idiots who screwed her are saying if she was good in bed or not. I mean its one thing to talk dirty but can she back it up. Cmon suckers, let us know the nitty gritty on this kitty.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 3:43 PM

i anxiously await carles' take on this story. it would make the coolest Lifetime Movie ever.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 3:44 PM

Warmest weekend of the year coming up...enjoy covereing up that big tattoo.

Posted by Detective Ink | April 16, 2009 3:44 PM

First!

. . . jealous much?

Posted by G.W. | April 16, 2009 3:50 PM

She couldn't blend into Williamsburg for too long, she obviously has a talent.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 3:57 PM

these comments are sub-par, and with such rich material....

Posted by Sacred Absolute Hipster Cow | April 16, 2009 3:59 PM

For real her email address is

weetziefawn@gmail.com

She has actually been signing into gmail chat off and on all day.

And she was spotted at the Park Slope Co-Op a lil while ago

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 4:01 PM

honestly, it's twisted ppl like this that are collectively responsible for driving up the cost of health-care. they make repeated visits to Emergency Rooms and all those repeated tests, etc. that WE have to pay for because she is a broke, scam-artist. and all of you think Nationalized Healthcare will solve everyone's problems. it will only get worse. morons will be going to ERs for common headaches or colds.

Posted by biatch | April 16, 2009 4:04 PM

News flash ! she's engaged to Dan Deacon !

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 4:04 PM

Hipster Honky wrote:
"All of these assholes deserved it for trying to co-opt a "cool Asian" friend/pork a "hot Asian chick". How about being aware of who you like based on who they really are instead of trying to add more cool ethnic animals to your fucking honky circus/fuck a sideways pussy."

Hipster Honky, you're not really caucasian, are you?

Either way, you're an asshole who needs to get a sense of humor and learn a little sympathy. The guys who were taken are victims who's only crime was being slightly lonely and very tolerant and generous souls. In other words these were Feminism's ideal men. For every white guy with an asian fetish, there is an asian girl with a caucasian fetish. To suggest that one of them is neccessarily oppressing the other is absurd. To suggest that seeking mutual sexual and emotional fulfillment serves some deeply unconscious racism is even more stupid. It just goes to show that you've been brainwashed by thought-police or have some chip on your shoulder from having been a victim yourself.

The reason the story is so appealling is because people like Kari are a threat to common decency and generosity. Humans universally have the need to call out cheaters in order to preserve our cooperative, altruistic tendencies, so as to maintain social order, without which life would be unbearably lonely. By insulting the victims and presuming some sort of malicious intent on their part, all you are doing is exposing your insecurities that no one would be compelled to help you, were you broke and dieing of cancer. All that these guys did wrong was to trust someone they felt attracted to. You should be so lucky.

PS. In case you were unaware, most boys get turned on by a girl advertising that she likes sex and has an appetite for it, despite the subject's race. Because despite claims of sexual liberation, women just don't have the same biological insentives to fuck prolificly that boys do. That doesn't make a boy insensitive, sexist or racist. It only makes him a healthy narcissist and it goes to explain why gay men have so much more fun than straight men. Which brings us to the clever old generalization: Asian chicks are the last stop before the closet door opens. (A joke, in case you missed it.)

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 4:06 PM

^looks like someone got burned

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 4:07 PM

Me fool you!

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 4:32 PM

who put peepee in my coke?

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 4:34 PM

pointless BV thread. truly pointless.
pathetic even.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 4:41 PM

"just put up a few fake housing ads in both areas on Craigslist. Im dying to meet this chick. I so want to fuck her. I dont care that she has fucked like 1000 guys already. I love crazy insane chicks. They are so fucking amazing in bed."

fucking amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 4:43 PM

@ Anon 4:07:

Not really. Bullying veiled by politically correct postures just has a way of making my blood boil. It's like the China's Cultural Revolution, or Pol Pot's Year Zero. You wouldn't call early dissenters of these massacres damaged goods for seeing darkness there and warning about it's excess. I'm just calling out the Honky on his misunderstanding of human nature before he turns into another Hitler.

But thanks for your concern.

Anon 4:06

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 4:48 PM

ladies and gentlemen,
we are honored by simon wiesenthal posting on this thread at 4:48pm
and you all say this is just a bunch of snarky hipsters...

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 4:50 PM

@ anon 4:06 "Either way, you're an asshole who needs to get a sense of humor and learn a little sympathy. The guys who were taken are victims who's only crime was being slightly lonely and very tolerant and generous souls. In other words these were Feminism's ideal men."

Nah that's wrong, they didn't meet her panhandling on the street or when she was about to drop off a basket with a baby in it at their front door... they met her and expected to get fucked... and they did. Welcome too the real world friends.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 4:53 PM

^ or to. whatever. Word.

Posted by Rw | April 16, 2009 4:56 PM

she stole my heart

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 4:58 PM

she is living with me in hoboken now.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 5:17 PM

I met her a month ago when she was trying to bang my friends in Coliseum. The girl is completely nuts and is very easy to read. Anyone moron that fell for her and her lies truly is an idiot.

Posted by michael | April 16, 2009 5:23 PM

you guys need to return to your level 1 ucb improv courses, the humor in here is at carson daly-levels and lowering

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 5:32 PM

i like to post inane jokes just to see people like 5:32 write about how bad they are. i've stolen your time!

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 5:37 PM

@Anon 4:53

Jodi Bullock wasn't getting laid. She was just being nice.

Since when is sleeping with a horny girl a malicious act deserving of retribution? Get a clue.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 5:40 PM

@4:06 PM, @4:48 PM - You don't have to overcompensate with your post, nobody will look at you weird when you're out with your asian girlfriend.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 5:49 PM

i would toss her salad!

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 5:56 PM

I've seen this chick in Philly last night so don't even bother looking for round here. And fuck all you haters. This chick is obviously brilliant if she can swindle so many naive morons.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 6:03 PM

intelligence has nothing to do with getting swindled. she gained their confidence and once you do that it doesn't matter how smart you are. it can happen to anyone.
i say Death to Kari.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 6:19 PM

@ Anon 4:06:

right, sorry i misunderstood you- anyone who doesn't think pol pot and that honky guy's stupid comment are the same thing is just so wrongly wrong. guess then i am hitler b/c i misunderstood your academic postering as total hipster bullshit?

ever yours,
ANON 4: 0'FUCKIN' 7

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 6:21 PM

you get on a list like that for bouncing a check? holy shit dont people know sometimes you might forget to transfer money from saving to checking account? this is bunch of bullshit, i would think this was aprils fools joke.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 6:33 PM

Commemorate the sexy pickup lines of the hipster grifter with your own "toss a hot dog down my hall" shirt or tote.

Coming tomorrow....the "handjob with my mouth" line!

Posted by R. | April 16, 2009 7:13 PM

If BV is turning into americas most wanted, then I have a nice list of sex offenders, thieves and more trash to share who all live in BK and fuck people over.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 8:26 PM

I bet she works for the North Korean State Safety and Security Agency!

Posted by Syngman Rhee | April 16, 2009 9:09 PM

R., that's a piss-poor drawing of her.

Posted by Stevie Paterson | April 16, 2009 9:23 PM

"she killed the guy in the McCarren Pool shed"

funniest post by far

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 10:01 PM

THE FUCKING MEDIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 10:38 PM

Vice has the last laugh on this one. They broke this story what, like 2 weeks before anyone else? This chick obviously pissed them off by trying to get one over on them, so they take her shit public.

ALTHOUGH, they are hinting it's all a viral scam of some sort.

Which wouldn't surprise me. Also, for those who say they will hire anyone at Vice, I'd suggest they might not really have anything to base that opinion on. From what I hear, the kids working there are pretty well adjusted, non-douchey, and work hard, and some of them get paid very, very, well.

The best part about the whole story is that The Observer gets their scoops from Vice, can't wait til Kari gets her film deal.

Posted by Hector | April 16, 2009 10:43 PM

she stole the one thing i could never get back....my virginity

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 11:19 PM

film deal my dick

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2009 11:20 PM

Most wanted? For check kiting? They don't have any murderer's or rapists or pedophile polygamyst cult leaders in Salt Lake City?

Posted by Unonymous | April 17, 2009 12:06 AM

I want to give you a hip job with my grift

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 12:30 AM

Vice went to shit after Gavin left. Fuck this dumb bitch, fuck the fucktards who were too fucking stupid to figure out the 411, and fuck Vice.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 1:03 AM

yeah I think its a hoax the more i think about it. nice try vice, the giveaway to me is that they are supposedly hiring? haha funny!

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 2:07 AM

Besides the fact that seemingly every blog/article about this has at least 5-10 people in the comments section claiming they knew her, (she's got to be the most popular chick in NYC - even before this dumb story started circulating) all of the sudden there's dozens of notes from this girl saying all those (now) famous catch phrases to every person with an email account, photos of her laying in a hospital bed and of her (now) famous "I heart beards" tattoo just "materialize" and now the coup de grace: the letter from her concerned father on some random hipstress blog. All in the span of an incredibly busy week for internet detectives. Can we OFFICIALLY call this whole story bullshit, or should we just keep playing along?

Viral marketing? JT Leroy/James Frey-esque posturing for some kind of book/film deal? Hipster Douchebaggery? Only time will tell I guess.

Posted by Gary Lubrication | April 17, 2009 3:03 AM

I can not say who I am, but I know her, she is going up to SUNY Purchase Culture Shock Festival 2009.

SUNY Purchase has offered her a scholarship, She is thinking over her options.

Posted by I know her. | April 17, 2009 4:40 AM

Honky really doesnt work
Cracker or white boy
"Fucking stupid ass white boy"

Posted by mike flood | April 17, 2009 6:24 AM

They're not hiring???

Everyone on this board just went and sent in their resume.

Cue folks at Vice going "What the fuck IS a Brooklyn vegan and why are so many hits coming from there?"

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 8:45 AM

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 11:22 AM

Her cell phone number: (347) 481-3516

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 3:09 PM

damn.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 4:45 PM

this is exactly what she wants. everyone is talking about her. and she doesn't even have to lie to get your attention. well, uhh, i mean she doesn't have to lie right now. i guess she did lie quite a little bit to get to this state.

anyway, i really doubt she was stealing the money and telling stories solely for the financial aspect.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 6:08 PM

Fuck...I hooked up with that chick a few weeks back. Now I better go see a doc on Monday and tested for whatever shit she probably had. Glad I came across this story, as she called again a few days ago and wanted to catch a show this week.

Posted by Derek | April 17, 2009 7:42 PM

the story is definitely real... sure some people have probably made up some things saying they know her etc but she is definitely wanted, call the SLC police if you don't believe it...

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 7:54 PM

Ick, good luck Derek!

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2009 3:10 PM

Nobody turns in Korean Abdul-Jabbar - NOBODY!

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2009 1:24 PM

She is living in the apartment directly above me.

Posted by James | April 22, 2010 1:03 PM

You only say that cuz all Asians look the same to you.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2010 1:41 PM