Posted in music | pictures on April 28, 2009

photos by Ryan Muir

DOWNLOAD: Mogwai - The Sun Smells Too Loud (MP3)

Mogwai

"Mogwai were seriously great. Only disappointments were a truncated "2 Wrongs" and a bizarrely chatty batch of non-fans in the back of the room. "LIke Herod" was a HUGE highlight but there wasn't a wasted moment, really. The room suited their dynamics brilliantly. Can't wait for the next two nights, though I imagine fans will be shushing more aggressively, so plan to do your chitchat in the bar." [Anonymous]
Mogwai played their first of three shows at Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn last night (4/27). More pictures, including one of Mogwai's setlist, below...

The Twilight Sad...

Mogwai...

Mogwai

what were the set times last night?

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 10:59 AM

nice to see Killing All The Flies back in the set list. good photos, Ryan.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 11:21 AM

Nice pics. Can't wait till Wednesday night.

Posted by Joseph | April 28, 2009 11:31 AM

How amazing was this thing?! Holy molly!

The Twilight Sad honored all the praises I've heard of their live shows. Fantastic. New songs sounded great. That a cappella intro in Cold Days from the Birdhouse was getting me all weepy when BAM! they blasted my head off.

When I glanced at the Mogwai setlist I was so-so that it was basically the same one the did at Terminal 5, but oh my. This thing was 1614941132x better! I was rooting for the MFMK encore like there was no tomorrow. Glad I bought some good earplugs.

The only disturbance at the front were a clearly intoxicated couple ballroom dancing to Like Herod. Errr... all right then.

Set times: The Twilight Sad 9PM. Mogwai 10:15PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 11:34 AM

bring earplugs, no joke.

Posted by anonymous | April 28, 2009 11:36 AM

beautiful photos...cant wait for wednesday night...cant believe this is the first time im seeing twilight sad...i absolutely love this band.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 11:42 AM

the show was great except for the crowd that was over where i was standing. late 30 khaki wearing "woo-ing" raising their half warm lite beer into the sky.it made me feel like i was seeing the show on a college campus.
i am bummed i missed the twilight sad

Posted by rich hall | April 28, 2009 11:45 AM

yeah, that was odd. since when did frat guys start liking mogwai. don't they need to be listening to some lady gaga or something terrible like that?

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 12:10 PM

the really sad thing is now you guys can count yourselves as frat dudes.

turn it up, man!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 12:18 PM

Yeah there were some particularly annoying wanna-be soccer hooligan, fall over drunk, mid-30s, loud song moshing quiet song talking standing near the front left. One dude let everyone know he had been thrown out and then got back in.

Besides that part of the crowd though, the band was pretty mellow (by Mogwai standards) but the last three tunes -- Herod, Batcat and King -- totally destroyed the place. I still can't hear.

Posted by panopticon | April 28, 2009 12:19 PM

show was incredible. don't miss the twilight sad. also there's a different poster for each night.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 12:22 PM

that couple in the front were so obnoxious. kudos to the girl who pushed that motherfucker when he bumped into her. he should've been elbowed in the jaw just for being with such an ogre.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 12:26 PM

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Posted by Forgot My Earplugs | April 28, 2009 12:29 PM

hahaha Im the guy holding the setlist, it is now hanging on my wall next to the other setlist from the Terminal 5 show

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 1:12 PM

I love how precious everyone becomes at gigs nowadays. God forbid you enjoy yourself and not stand around with your arms folded.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 1:22 PM

non fans talking throughout the whole set? that would be the whole of the matador records crew who insist on using mogwai shows as some excuse for social catch up and a time to go "mental"... its embarrassing

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 1:33 PM

yeah that's exactly what people go see mogwai for, dancing and loud talking.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 1:33 PM

Thought it was funny.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 1:48 PM

it's funny because this venue is full of cozy places to chat and catch up with pals, down in the bar with all those cozy couches (where the music is piped in so you can hear the band), or by the merch table. it's really stupid to go to the actual room where the band is playing and THEN talk, periodically clutching your head in pain

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 1:49 PM

Hey, anyone know if Twilight Sad did their cover of 24 Hours by Joy Division? I'm seeing the Wednesday show, just wanted to know if I should show early

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 2:00 PM

"I noticed The Twilight Sad guitarist had one black converse in one feet and a red one in the other! Did anyone see if their lead singer was wearing the reverse combination?

Thought it was funny."

hahahhahahahahaahh that IS funny!

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 2:12 PM

no the lead singer had some suede converses

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 2:27 PM

I'll own up and say I was one of those obnoxious dudes to the left (but absolutely not a frat boy). My behaviour was loutish and I would gladly take the elbow today. I have several very poor excuses: I had to go the Newcastle Utd game in a bar yesterday afternoon and forgot to stop drinking afterwards. So I am no 'wanna-be' soccer hooligan thank you very much. And I am in my 40's so I appreciate the assessment of 'mid-30's'. I am also English so it will confirm to you all that we are the set of moronic drunkards you think we are. It was something like the 18th time I have seen Mogwai dating back to the CODY tour. Last night was a spectacular show from a band who are at the top their game (still) and 2Rights and Flies are my favourite tracks so clearly I wasn't going to be too motionless. I will be far more restrained on Wednesday and try not to 'bump' into anyone. But just a quiet word to all you show goers. Please try to look like you are enjoying your music. I have lived here for 4 years and have seen countless gigs and you are so often so stiff. It's totally different in the UK. Not that I am saying I was a good example last night, absolutely not, but at least you know I loved the show. Did you? Who would know? Not Mogwai that's for sure, at least not until the end when it's a bit too late.

Posted by scottish guitar army | April 28, 2009 2:39 PM

my arms were definitely folded last night.

Posted by rich hall | April 28, 2009 2:48 PM

@Anon 2PM, who asked about the Joy Division cover:
You should show up early 'cause... hmmm... they are playing! I doubt they do that live since it was a cover and they are doing new songs that I don't think they had ever played before this tour.

If you liked the JD cover you may like a new song they did that was very fast and energetic. Definitely show up before 9PM (not that "early" actually)

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 3:46 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 5:06 PM

I would be very interested on how to do this Mogwai dance you speak of.

Posted by Arms Folded | April 28, 2009 5:12 PM

yes i folded my arms during twilight sad but idk its natural, i enjoied both bands

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 5:58 PM

"It's true, there are way too many folded arms at NY shows. Maybe it's because most of them are not New Yorkers but transplants from every boring place in the country. Besides that the indie rock scene is swarming with people who take themselves way too seriously. Kind of annoying. All I know is I couldn't keep still last night from the moment Mogwai started playing. Truly one of the most amazing shows I've seen in a long while. And yeah, I may have bumped a couple of people, but I weigh about 90lbs so I don't think they felt it."

I can assure you that crowds are much more enjoyable in those other "boring places in the country" than in NYC. The most boring crowds I have ever witnessed have all been in NYC.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 6:07 PM

I don't think you HAVE to be jumping or moshing around or swaying your hands up in the air to enjoy a gig.

I personally did a little bit of everything: jumped a little, mild head banging, screamed with the twilight sad a little, stood with my hands inside my pockets a little, and yes, even folded my arms a little... just go with the flow. I certainly try to constrain myself as not to annoy people around me. Enjoy but don't go crazy.

Thought this thing was excellent all the way through.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 6:13 PM

bump into people! have you heard yourselves?

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 6:24 PM

um....lady gaga is the shit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 6:55 PM

Exactly, I din't realise Niles and Maris were Mogwai fans ..

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 6:56 PM

twilight sad is one of the worst names ever.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 9:45 PM

i got this rash on my taint that prevented me from dancing, i think its from the heat.

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 1:25 AM

that group up front was obnoxious. the girl tried to dance with me during 2 Rights, when I politely declined she took it upon herself to aggressively plough into me every chance she could. I loved the equally annoyed reaction the surrounding folks gave her and her male friend when they started air guitaring and swaying into everyone around them. A cute girl with curly hair gave the guy a seeeerious toss. Then their douchebag friend joined in and maxed out the annoyance...... If you want to get wasted at concerts, go for it, but recognize that not everyone is and that a three person mosh pit might ruin a bit the show for those around you. I really hope that they were so hungover that they lost their jobs the next day or were mugged on their way home.

and so what if frat guys like mogwai. I always thought it was hard to peg people for being mogwai fans....You can fit any sort of stereotype and get down to mogwai, just don't be pricks about it. I really hated those three, such buzz kills....anyway, that show was amazing, tonight was too.... can't wait for tomorrow.

Props for Mogwai giving us three shows

Posted by carter | April 29, 2009 1:27 AM

@scottish guitar army

if you were one of those three you should apologize for your previous apology. I'm glad you admitted that you were drunk but don't accuse me of not enjoying the show. Who the f-ck cares if people can't tell I'm enjoying the show if I'm not playing the air guitar and bowling into people. That was my 15th show and I've never dealt with anyone as obnoxious as you and your friends.

god daaaaaaaaaaamn!

I thought I'd never get to let that shit out on you or your co-horts. I feel great I let that go

Posted by carter | April 29, 2009 1:35 AM

"I really hope that they were so hungover that they lost their jobs the next day or were mugged on their way home"

Hey Carter, I love how your anger is so great that you wish harm to someone.

"A cute girl with curly hair gave the guy a seeeerious toss"

Maybe that cute girl with curly hair will see this post and try to contact you!!!! Wouldn't that be great! Dude, you should totally put an ad on missed conections at Todd P's site.

I hope she replies but until then at least you can still suck your mother's cock, you frustrated jerkoff.

Go get the swine flu.

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 8:37 AM

hah hah hah

hilarious !

Posted by carter | April 29, 2009 8:41 AM

last night was amazing

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 9:13 AM

last nights show was awesome, so glad i went

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 9:14 AM

last night was SO amazing. It seemed to have flown by.

Does anyone know what they are doing with the footage?

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 9:27 AM

"Does anyone know what they are doing with the footage?"

live dvd maybe? i dunno

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 10:07 AM

I thought Mogwai's set on Monday was better than yesterday's. Still awesome shows from both bands. Kudos.

Those Blogotheque guys are stalking me! Yesterday I moved to another side of the stage and guess who was standing next to me and later pointing a camera my way... a camera guy! Argggghhhh.

I hope Mogwai plays Ratts and Xmas Steps today. The Twilight Sad needs to do Walking for 2 Hours. I'll be happy!

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 10:13 AM

Does anyone have the Tuesday setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 12:08 PM

I’m Jim Morrison, I’m Dead
I Love You, I’m Going To Blow Up Your School
2 Rights Make 1 Wrong
We’re No Here

Like Herod
Batcat

Photo at my site to prove it, in case you're the skeptical type. I posted a picture of the Twilight Sad's set list, too, but it's kind of cryptic. I know they played That Summer, At Home... and Cold Days From The Birdhouse, at least.

And I think it's the Blogothèque guy, Vincent Moon, shooting for a documentary or concert film or something.

Show was excellent, by the way.

Posted by hornblower | April 29, 2009 12:29 PM

ya, what was up with the Twilight Sad written setlists? none of them were the actual names of the songs. I also found it funny they wrote the words like they would say it in their Scottish accents

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 12:35 PM

Keys to deciphering Twilight Sad setlist:
"Sheep Dug" = Cold Days from the Birdhouse
"Hit Single" = That Summer, at Home
"Loud Quiet" = Talking with Fireworks (only song I was able to guess right away)
"Rabbit" = And She Would Darken the Memory
"III" = I'm Taking the Train Home

Anything else is new.

For Mogwai's setlists you just need to check in on Stu's twitter @plasmatron.

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 1:52 PM

Carter you sound like a model citizen, someone all people should strive to be like. I'm sure you have never been wasted and annoyed people around you but in my opinion if someone apologizes, especially when confronted on a blog, you have to give them a little credit.

We have all dealt with annoying people at shows and yet continue to go, there is alot to be said for an audience that is "alive". Perhaps this crew sounded a bit too alive but the wrath you express is a little over the top.

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 4:50 PM

you are right

new to expressing myself on blogs. I don't really hope they lost their jobs or got mugged on their way home. Still though, definitely annoying behavior on their part. He did own up, so I'll own up to my annoying blog posts...if anyone cared enough about my post to let it bother you, I am sorry

Posted by carter | April 29, 2009 6:37 PM

Hey Carter, Anon 8:37 a.m. here,

I only replied to your comment because the three you were referring to were friends of mine.

All three feel remorse for how they acted and did not mean to ruin the show for anyone.

We were all very excited to see Mogwai and indulged beforehand. We are all actually big fans of the group.

I overreacted and I apologize for what I wrote.

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 8:01 PM

Holy Pshit.

Speaking in regards to 6:37 and 8:01 here -- people willing to compromise and act with emotional integrity on BV comment boards?

This really is da end-timez.

Posted by SnailKid | April 29, 2009 8:08 PM

Amazing shows!

Great posters for first 2 nights!

The poster guy didnt come through for the 3rd night!

Does anyone know if there is a poster that never made it to the venue? Is it available online?

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 2:25 PM