Posted in music | pictures on April 29, 2009

photos by Tim Griffin

Mogwai

"that group up front was obnoxious. the girl tried to dance with me during 2 Rights, when I politely declined she took it upon herself to aggressively plough into me every chance she could. I loved the equally annoyed reaction the surrounding folks gave her and her male friend when they started air guitaring and swaying into everyone around them. A cute girl with curly hair gave the guy a seeeerious toss. Then their douchebag friend joined in and maxed out the annoyance...... If you want to get wasted at concerts, go for it, but recognize that not everyone is and that a three person mosh pit might ruin a bit the show for those around you. I really hope that they were so hungover that they lost their jobs the next day or were mugged on their way home.

and so what if frat guys like mogwai. I always thought it was hard to peg people for being mogwai fans....You can fit any sort of stereotype and get down to mogwai, just don't be pricks about it. I really hated those three, such buzz kills....anyway, that show was amazing, tonight was too.... can't wait for tomorrow.

Props for Mogwai giving us three shows" [Carter]

Mogwai complete their three night run at Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn tonight (4/29). We caught them on night one, and last night (4/28) too...

The Twilight Sad...

Mogwai...

Night One pics HERE.

How cute is that cat! :)

Really like the set times hand-made poster: "These bands are loud".

Personally, I thought the audience sucked a bit. There was this guy at the front that got a pretty good in your face "Shut up!" scream from John Cunningham. Yikes! And no, he did not stopped talking, he just continued to do so during the songs but things got louder after that.

Just before they played We are no Here, Stuart said they were playing the Sun Smells Too Loud. Some people applauded and he went "no, we are not." Hahaha.

Both bands were pretty awesome, as expected.

The encore was Like Herod and Batcat.

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 6:24 PM

I have never worn earplugs at a show before. But I honestly wish I had some last night. It was the loudest show I have ever heard. The girl next to me had earplugs in and was still covering her ears with her hands (I think she was there in support of her boyfriend and wasn't all that into the show...but still).

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 7:14 PM

Monday's setlist looked better

though i am jealous of Auto Rock and Small Children in the backyard

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 7:16 PM

the crowd was way worse night 2 than night 1. i got hit in the face but a drunk scumbag who couldn't comprehend the fact that it's not polite to yell in the middle of a quiet song. hopefully tonight will all be real fans.

i call xmas steps & ratts of the capital.

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 7:20 PM

I love the cat! must be Batcat.

night 2 was even greater, the crowd still a bit yappy. goofy dancing is awesome... but yapping is a little worse, at least with a band like this.

funny moment during the quiet part of "Like Herod"--
girl in balcony: "woooo!"
somebody on floor: "shut the fuck up!"
most of audience: [applause]
Mogwai: LOOOUUUUUDDD NOOOOISE

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 7:33 PM

ya that was awesome. cody was awesome. my ears are still ringing from last night.

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 8:16 PM

"funny moment during the quiet part of "Like Herod"--
girl in balcony: "woooo!"
somebody on floor: "shut the fuck up!"
most of audience: [applause]
Mogwai: LOOOUUUUUDDD NOOOOISE"

hahaha this was really awesome

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 8:24 PM

great pics tim!

Posted by Anonymous | April 29, 2009 8:31 PM

I have to say, I really hate when people yell during slow songs. I can't imagine anyone would actually think that adds to the concert atmosphere.

Posted by hornblower | April 29, 2009 11:24 PM

yay i finally see the back of my head on a BV post! and where i was standing the crowd seemed great and very into it (front and center)

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 12:12 AM

just got home from the wed show...wow, the crowd was mostly ok til the end and then i had the hippies everywhere.

when did mogwai become a prog hippie band? i miss the 1998 mogwai.

twilight sad on the other hand were amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 12:14 AM

anon 12:14 is a fucking re-re-retard. Tonight was absolutely epic, and I went to all 3 nights. Anyone who focuses on the crowd more than the actual show is just a prime cut of self-conscious immature wank. Sorry your parents couldn't pay for you to have a private box, you shit heel. Hi!

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 12:34 AM

it was truly mind blowing. hadn't seen them since irving plaza in 2003, and tonight far exceeded that show.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 12:37 AM

tonight's setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 12:51 AM

"You Don't Know Jesus," "Friend of the Night," and "Fear Satan" tonight were so huge I'm barely even able to process it. "absolutely epic" is right.

"Cody" last night was fucking great -- yes indeed. it was really moving to hear him sing!

so glad I went all 3 nights, they were all on such a ferociously high level.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 2:14 AM

"You Don't Know Jesus"

fuuuuuuuck

it seems like night 2 had the most average setlist out of the 3 nights. not putting down how amazing it was, though

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 2:49 AM

Setlist for night 3?

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 10:04 AM

I like to stand around like a disaffected sunkin face douche,and if any one has fun and doesn't wear skinny jeans than there is no way they can be a real fan.

Posted by mike flood | April 30, 2009 10:12 AM

Helicon 1

encore

Kids Will Be Skeletons
Mogwai Fear Satan
Glasgow Mega Snake

Posted by ballblaster | April 30, 2009 10:24 AM

BV why would you highlight a comment like that for the main page. Shouldn't it be more focused on the music than the crowd, and haters. Someone wishing ill will on another is not a great post to highlight, sorry.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 10:25 AM

sooooooo good.

Posted by Sacred Absolute Hipster Cow | April 30, 2009 10:47 AM

mogwai fear satan -> glasgow mega snake = BEST ENCORE EVER!!!

the whole show was great. only had a few loud people by me (balcony back row of bleacher seats) for a few songs then they left. Crowd was respectful, got a little loud here and there but I mean it's not a classical concert.

only "complaint" would be the bass. don't know if it's because of my position but certain notes were just felt, I couldn't hear any tone at all, just buzz and vibration. Sometimes the bass frequency dominated all three guitars. This happened more in the beginning of the show, I didn't notice it later on. Did Dom single-handedly blow out MHOW sub-woofers? I wouldn't doubt it.

good use of lighting too. strobes synched up well especially with glasgow mega snake.

but great show as always, mogwai always delivers. such a great band.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 12:01 PM

more night 2 photos here: http://bit.ly/1XEt3

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 12:02 PM

i went on tuesday, didn't find the crowd obnoxious really. thought that twilight sad were great, so glad to have finally had the chance to see them. mogwai were mogwai, good and loud as usual.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 12:19 PM

i could feel the bass in my teeth. it caused at least one man to lose his mind into a urinal.

Posted by Sacred Absolute Hipster Cow | April 30, 2009 12:44 PM

shit was epic! a great three nights.

I'm wondering how it will be at APW. Do you think they will be able to get loud enough out there?

what was with the "shhhh-ers" ?

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 12:45 PM

They weren't too loud when they played outside at Curiosa a few years back. Maybe APW sound system will be stronger, but there's nothing for the sound to bounce off of.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 12:55 PM

Shhh-ers were indeed annoying for a bit. In general, I don't think anything happened to jeopardize how amazing this thing was. Great music trumps small annoyances.

Best setlist is a toss up between Wednesday's and Monday's. Encore clearly goes to Wednesday though. I was blown away by that combination!

Xmas steps and Jesus were other sure highlights. The only low is that I couldn't hear a bit of the vocals in Travel is Dangerous.

Twilight Sad were great as well. More than able to hold their own with Mogwai - that's saying something. Can't wait to have a listen to their new album.

Possibly the best gigs I've ever been in!

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 1:31 PM

I think twilight sad were at their best yesterday.

you are right, could had more volume for barry on Travel is Dangerous.

going to all three was epic! NO IDEA as to what I'll do tonight

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 1:39 PM

I'll tell you what I'll do tonight: get some quiet time and go to sleep early. I'm freaking beat after this 3 magnificent nights!

I wished Twilight Sad had played Talking with Fireworks yesterday. That song was amazing on Monday!

Still a great set, those guys are pros. In a couple more years we'll have another Mogwai on our hands.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 1:50 PM

I went last night and I love MHOW. I showed up just ten mins before Mogwai went on and walked right up near the stage. 50 times better than Term 5. I guess thats not saying much.
The set was pretty nice considering what sameness they had been playing for some of the other dates in 2009. I just don't really love 'hawk is howling'. Is it just me? I miss some of the songs from mr beast and happy songs taken out of the set.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 1:52 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 2:05 PM

wow. well put ?

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 2:08 PM

"These guys are like sensitive rockers. Emotional. Powerful. Like the Mongoose. Both a courageous snake killer and lovable pet."

or.... like Mogwai? lovable pets until you feed them after midnight then BAM guitar shred face melting gremlin in a microwave explosive assault on the ears.

the show last night was incredible.

Posted by EF Matt | April 30, 2009 3:27 PM

Did anyone make it to Crippled Black Phoenix about a week ago or so? How was it? I have the EP and its pretty good.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 5:46 PM

ssshhhhhhhh........

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 7:58 PM

Really? So much praise? I thought the set was sloppy and self indulgent, the only thing that made up for it was the Mogwai Fear Satan in the 30+ minute encore.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 10:02 PM

@ Anon 10:02pm

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Posted by Anonymous | April 30, 2009 11:08 PM

Just out of curiosity, how exactly does one define a self-indulgent set? They didn't come out three hours late drunk and stoned.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2009 3:00 PM

lovely cat!! :D
i like your photos!!

Posted by n | May 5, 2009 9:10 PM

Curious if anyone saw the screenprinted poster I made for night 2...

Posted by Dan Grzeca | May 8, 2009 9:33 PM