Nouvelle Vague in Dublin 2008 (voss)
The band's last LP was 2006's Bande à Part, which, "like their eponymous first album, is a collection of Bossa Nova cover versions of 1980s New Wave tracks." [Wikipedia]
Though there's no 100% official word on a new record from the band, info is scattered about regarding a new album called NV3 which may be coming out on June 3rd which is not long before the Irving Plaza show. Apparently...
Nouvelle Vague reaches the point where a song, although already perfectly rendered in its original version, can still become a completely different one, to the extent that sometimes the public doubts whether it is a "cover" or not.More about Nouvelle Vague and all tour dates below...
Nouvelle Vague's approach is so unusual that some of the original authors accepted to participate in the recording of the "NV3" cover of their own songs.
This is the statement of this 3rd album.
We never hear of any artists singing on covers which dissemble so much from the song their originally wrote nearly 30 years ago, or even covering their own song.
There are a variety of musical tones proposed by Nouvelle Vague on this third album such as Bluegrass, Country, Folk, Americana, Pop...
And the loop is looped when we hear on a "Nouvelle Vague" cover the voice of Martin Gore (Depeche Mode), Ian McCullough (Echo and The Bunnymen), Barry Adamson (Magazine), Terry Hall (The Specials), Samy Birnbach (Minimal Comact) or Chris Bailey (The Saints)...
WHO IS NOUVELLE VAGUE:
* MARC COLLIN is a French producer and musician, amongst his accomplished works we can mention "Hollywood Mon Amour", "Volga Select", Phoebe Killdeer's album, Avril's album, etc...Nouvelle Vague - 2009 Tour Dates
* OLIVIER LIBAUX is a French producer and musician, amongst his accomplished works we can mention two solo projects mixing theatre, cinema and songwriting: "L'heroine au bain" et "Imbecile". As well as his collaborations with Emilie Simon, Carla Bruni, Le Tone, Alex Gopher and numerous projects with Marc Collin, etc...
* ME'LANIE PAIN, the French woman, is an original Nouvelle Vague singer since she participated in the very first concert in Paris on the 1st May 2004. She is "the" voice of several "classics" of the Nouvelle Vague repertoire "This is not a love song", "Teenage Kicks", "Dance With Me", "The Killing Moon", "Ever Fallen In Love" etc...
On NV3, Me'lanie Pain sings "Master and Servant' with Martin Gore, "All My Colours" with Ian McCulloch and "God Save The Queen".
* NADEAH MIRANDA is the new performer in Nouvelle Vague, succeeding Phoebe Killdeer who had herself replaced Camille.
Originating from Australia she is also the singer in projects such as The Lovegods and Venus Gets Heaven and has collaborated with Marc Collin on Hollywood Mon Amour.
On NV3, Nadeah sings "Road to Nowhere", "Parade", "So lonely', to name just a few...
* PHOEBE KILLDEER well-know amongst Nouvelle Vague fans and worldwide audiences for having performed hundreds of shows with the band and for her interpratation of some of the band's 'classics' such as "Human Fly", 'Bela Lugosi's Dead" or "Dancing With Myself".
She sings "Not Knowing" on this new album.
She is building in parallel a brilliant career with her solo project: Phoebe Killdeer and The Short Straws.
* ELOISIA is another leading singer of the Nouvelle Vague project, originating from Brazil, she sings "Love Will Tear Us Apart" and "Just Can't Get Enough" on the first album.
On 'NV3' she sings "Blister In The Sun" and "Metal".
* SILJA is the famous voice on the cover of "I Melt With You" on the first album. Originating from America, she now lives in Paris and sings "The American" on this new album.
* KARINA ZEVIANI sings "Heaven" on NV3, a cover of the Psychedelic Furs song. She is from Brazil and lives in NYC, she also performs with Thievery Corporation and writes/composes for her own project "Radiola".
* MARINA CELESTE is another original Nouvelle Vague voice who sang "A Forest" on the 1st album, "Waves", "Eisbear" and "Fade To Grey" on the 2nd. On this 3rd album she she sings "Our Lips Are Sealed" with Terry Hall.
* JENIA LUBICH is a Russian singer who sings "Marooned" and "Aussi Belle Qu'une Balle" on NV3.
* LEELOO is an English singer who has worked with Marc Collin on "Hollywood Mon Amour" and has occasionally replaced Phoebe Killdeer for some live performances. She is currently recording her debut album.
* SOPHIE DELILA sings "Such A Shame" and "Say Hello Goodbye" on this new album, she has released her debut album this year on Universal Music.
Apr 30 Mercati Generali, Catania, Italy
May 09 Queen Elizabeth Stadium, Hong Kong
May 10 Riverside, Taipei
May 24 Eurocultured festival, Manchester, UK
May 25 Evolution, Newcastle NEWCASTLE
Jun 17 Irving Plaza New York, NY
Jun 23 Bouffes du Nord, Paris PARIS
Jul 03 Melkweg, Amsterdam AMSTERDAM
Jul 09 Balaton sound Festival BALATON
Jul 10 Guildfest, Guildford GUILDFORD
Jul 11 Super Bock Super Rock PORTO
Jul 12 Francofolies de la Rochelle LA ROCHELLE
Jul 18 Francofolies de Spa SPA
Jul 28 Vannes VANNES
Jul 31 Francofolies de Montréal MONTREAL