Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on April 27, 2009

photos by Fresh Bread

DOWNLOAD: Think About Life - Paul Cries (old MP3)

Think About Life

I'm sorry if I offended anyone, but I'll stand by my statement that without Marnie Stern, the "Ponytail / Think About Life show at Music Hall of Williamsburg" is/was "still exciting, but slightly less interesting". Real Estate were good, but pretty much any bill will become less interesting when Marnie Stern drops off it.

That said, the highlight of Saturday night's show for me was Think About Life. As the Montreal three-piece (drums, vocals, and Graham Van Pelt on guitar/keyboard/sound effects) pointed out from the stage, it was [almost] three years since the last time they played NYC. I hope they don't stay away so long again.

It was unfortunate that Think About Life played first, but everyone who got there in time to see their 9:30 pm set seemed to be having a good time. And TAL frontman Martin Cesar (aka Dishwasher) was ESPECIALLY having a good time. He let everyone know it, more than once, and it rubbed off. He would occasionaly come into the crowd, and people were actually, even dancing.

Think About Life's set featured a lot more of Martin actually singing than I remember from their sets in the past. It's not that he didn't sing before, but I remember it being heavier with more speaking/screaming than singing. I liked the band a lot before, but this was even better than I remembered. Can't wait to hear their new album, Family (and see them again soon. hopefully).

Ponytail, who TAL are currently still on tour with (updated dates below), also "killed it" (as usual). More pictures from the show below...

Think About Life...

Think About Life - 2009 Tour Dates
Apr 27 - @ Monkey House w/ PONYTAIL Burlington, Vermont
Apr 30 - @ Pike Room w/ PONYTAIL Pontiac, Michigan
May 1 - @ Rubble Bar w/ PONYTAIL Mt Pleasant, Michigan
May 2 - @ Prizzy Prizzy Please Compound w/ PONYTAIL Bloomington, Indiana
May 3 - @ Schuba's w/ PONYTAIL Chicago, Illinois
May 22 - @ Polish Combattants Hall (Over the Top Fest) w/ TUNE-YARDS Toronto, ON
May 23 - @ Babylon Music Hall w/ TUNE-YARDS Ottawa, ON
May 28 - @ Théâtre Plaza w/ TUNE-YARDS Montreal, QC
Jul 18 - @ Le Cercle Quebec

Ponytail at The Smell 10/10/08 changed my life.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 3:04 AM

There is something suspiciously too photo-op about all this. My favorite shot is of the woman from Ponytail doing her, already too familiar, belting it out, which includes, yes, a photographer capturing the moment.

Where would we all be w/out these pics?

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 8:17 AM

^^^Not sure I understand your comment. That's just how she sings...her mouth is always open like that. So anytime a photo is taken of her while she's singing, that look is pretty much what you're always gonna get.

Posted by blackhat | April 27, 2009 8:29 AM

I got there early which I had to endure listening to Think About Life. No matter how much stage antics they will do, their music still sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 9:21 AM

9:21 I agree, they were unlistenable. Truly atrocious.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 9:39 AM

does anyone know what the covers were that ponytail played?

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 9:59 AM

Marnie Stern is not that great...I really don't understand what's so special about her. Rather be listening to Bjork, PJ Harvey, Karen Dalton and other artists than her.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 10:13 AM

^^^^^

You go and do that. Us in the 21st century will go on and continue to enjoy Marnie.

Posted by Rajah of Rehab | April 27, 2009 10:26 AM

^^I'll go and do your mom, bitch.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 10:34 AM

Ponytail and Real Estate makes me go squeeee

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 11:00 AM

Real Estate deserve better than this off-hand mention and lament of Marnie Stern's absence.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 11:00 AM

Real Estate is one of the most boring bands I've ever seen.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 11:17 AM

Crystal Caves still suck!

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 11:27 AM

Don't get the Pony Tail thing, the music is decent but the "singer" I just can't get past... I find her to be grating and unlistenable lacking the power to stand alongside her band mates and being that I think her voice is generally unremarkable I think the music falls short because of it. But whatever.

Posted by Rw | April 27, 2009 11:58 AM

Real Estate is sick!

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 12:21 PM

^^^^^fuck you theyre really sick!

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 12:25 PM

real steak RULES....hahahaha....I JUST LOVE WHEN THEY JUST LOVE TO JAM OUT LIKE THEY JUST DO IT AND I GO : O and then : )

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 12:25 PM

think about life is so so great. i really can't comprehend how anyone can think otherwise.

real estate was fine to listen to, but their performance was not particularly engaging for me.

ponytail was fun--amazing to see so many people moving so enthusiastically at a show in nyc. i especially liked the song where the singer was like "OOOO, SAH! SAH SAH!" and acted like a cartoon.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 1:12 PM

Yeah I really only like bands that have cah-razy stage antics and can be described as "fun" and foster crowd participation, fuck anyone who doesn't take their pants off and act like an asshole maniac on-stage. All other music blows.

Posted by 11:17 AM and 1:12 PM | April 27, 2009 1:54 PM

Seeing Ponytail for the first time was a life changing experience for me as well. first time at the yard last year. I just love them so much, especially Molly.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 2:02 PM

^^
well there is a reason it's called a "show."

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 2:02 PM

They were awsome at The Yard last year, actually Todd P fest was amazing last year. Does anyone know if it is happening again?

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 2:17 PM

That kid Matt in Real Estate head bangs hard enough to make up for the fact the other two just kind of stand there. They always seem to be really tight and play pretty loud for their style of music.
Great band.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 2:58 PM

I've been to many shows where the band acts disgusted that the crowd is too small, too lame, or otherwise too unresponsive. Then the band acts affronted and pretty much makes the show sour for everybody. Arcade Fire's done this. Shout Out Out Out Out as well. Good shows that the band spoils for themselves by getting pissy.

Then Think About Life make an appearance. It didn't matter that hardly anybody was there. They had a great time and it was contagious. They played to an largely empty room like it was full. Mad respect to them for it.

Posted by jerry yeti | April 27, 2009 4:38 PM

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

Posted by typical Brooklyn Vegan commenter | April 27, 2009 5:39 PM

RW clearly has never seen ponytail live, because then he would understand molly is as important to the band dynamic as the guys. she's brilliant. her and the guy with the bowlcut make ponytail's live show what it is. which is amazing. plus, their recorded stuff is great too.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 10:37 PM

Strange that 2 comments above talk shit about Think About Life, but from my view everyone in the crowd (at least 100 people by the end of their set) was dancing and clapping and cheering.

Real Estate = boring. They are a jam bad essentially.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 10:52 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 10:56 PM

The only band that seems to have friends commenting here is Real Estate.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 11:00 PM

"It looks like Think About Life or one of their friends is hyping the band on BV. It's sooooo obvious. So sad that a band has to resort to posting fake comments on the internet instead of creating good music."

Get a life

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 11:01 PM

Ponytail is one of the best live bands around

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2009 11:02 PM

Marnie Stern FTW!

Posted by you all suck | April 27, 2009 11:05 PM

Why are people making gender-based decisions to not listen to Marnie Stern? She has nothing in common with Karen Dalton or PJ Harvey. Clean out yr bloody ears. That's like saying "why listen to [male artist] when I can listen to [other artists that happen to be male that are not comparable with original male artist]."

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 12:50 AM