Posted in music | pictures on April 17, 2009

photos by Zach Dilgard

Throbbing Gristle

"Their rendition of "In The Shadow of the Sun" was captivating and excruciatingly loud - the Brooklyn Masonic Temple is a good venue if handled correctly, contra los gentes del Yelp. But the 40 minutes of throb by some other guy was far less so. There's a line between "blowing minds" and "insulting people" and it is very important to dance about that line sometimes. It's where the confrontation and captivation of any kind of aggressive/transgressive music comes from. Forty minutes of throb guy never quite made it back over the line.

The house lights were on for their entire closing set, which sorely vexed some gentleman in the upper deck, or as I liked to call it, "The Class of Nuke 'Em High". Maybe he just wanted to smoke a joint, or perhaps he never considered that those four on stage might actually want to look at the people who dropped nearly 40 bucks to see them. How surreal must that be?"
[here there be rodents]

Throbbing Gristle played their first US show in 28 years last night at the Brooklyn Masonic Temple (4/16). It was also their first-ever NYC show. Their second, which will be their first-ever Manhattan show, is tonight (4/17) at Le Poisson Rouge, and then it's off to Coachella followed by a tour that brings them back to the Masonic Temple again, for their 3rd-ever NYC show on April 28th. More pictures from last night, and some videos, below...

Throbbing Gristle

We'll have more and varied Throbbing Gristle cover over the course of the next two weeks. Stay tuned. All dates HERE.

Sleazy looks like Cruella de Vil

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 4:38 PM

The performance was great but the house lights were on too bright.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 4:41 PM

Would someone hit that?

Posted by ROCK STARchitect | April 17, 2009 4:56 PM

thank god i didnt buy tix for this.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 4:59 PM

I love you Genesis!

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 5:06 PM

is that Mickey Rourke in all the orange?

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 5:06 PM

Ew.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 5:14 PM

I love Throbbing Gristle, but last night was a disaster. Although the opening set was pretty cool with “In The Shadow of the Sun”, the shameless attempt to sell merchandise intermission was way too long. Then the light projection art piece after that went on forever for a crowd that grew tired and restless. Many people even left. Throbbing Gristle finally took the stage for their set (past 11 PM) for a show that was supposed to start at 7. Their manager, I suppose, refused to dim or turn off the lights. It was a very awkward experience. I can't believe I paid $40. crap. Total garbage.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 5:28 PM

what did people expect here? for real

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 5:40 PM

it was a terrible show. i left right after the first hour at the intermission. i had no interest in staying. i got bored very quickly and had a feeling the rest of the show was going to be just as boring. what a waste of $35.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 5:42 PM

Keeping the house lights on was a really radical, self-reflexive move, especially since Throbbing Gristle's kind of noise music doesn't have the same shock value as it did thirty years ago. The timing was off the whole night, as noted, and the music wasn't terribly impressive. But the last song was incredibly super loud, and I'm glad I saw the show.

Posted by Regular reader | April 17, 2009 5:44 PM

I was standing close to the stage and I saw/heard TG repeatedly ask their manager (the guy standing on stage?) to turn down the house lights but he kept saying no. Security was really bizarre at this show, the guy prowling the stage during the projection piece and the minute anything looked strange in the crowd he would jump offstage and pummel whoever it was who did it.

TG were amazing. I think the venue and the promoters are more at fault here. The show was supposed to start with "In the Shadow of the Sun" at 7 then the signing then the set but no one even knew about the 40 minute projection piece. If people had known about it, I don't think there would've been such anger in the crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 5:45 PM

I love Gen's "Marianne Faithfull as Bag Lady" chic! Their "live soundtrack" was awesome, almost Floydian in its searing psychedelia.

Posted by Gutterdandy | April 17, 2009 5:46 PM

wow you are all asses. that shit was mindblowing, have some patience and be aware of your surroundings. there was a sign that said second set at 11. i myself went out had a few beers a burger a joint and came back in to get my mind and body inverted by frequencies.

STAY HOME!

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 5:47 PM

cosey's still hot

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 5:51 PM

set list anyone?

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 5:58 PM

There's no doubt that the evening had some irritating aspects. The band's "manager," if that's what he was, was a real dickhead. Someone in the crowd called him an "asshole" and he shot them the finger, but it was an appropriate label.
The extended intermission and the fairly abysmal metal machine music that was the "2nd set" had the effect of losing the momentum the band built up with the majestic live soundtrack. Still, TG delivered in spite of the circumstances. I'm glad I went to the show.

Posted by Gutterdandy | April 17, 2009 5:59 PM

This would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 6:04 PM

"cosey's still hot"

I get the feeling that this person thinks cosey is the one in orange. She's not. She's the one in black who looks like a corpse in a wig. Must suck to be the 2nd most attractive woman in TG. This band has cashed in and ruined their reputation. Sad. But hey "the last song was incredibly super loud".

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 6:11 PM

Is that really Cosi? In the pictures with the guitar she looked like a drag queen. I thought it was Genesis wearing a wig! Times hasn't been kind to this band with the exception of Chris Carter.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 6:13 PM

"This band has cashed in and ruined their reputation. "

You call 10 random shows "cashing in"? They probably each made less this year by doing this than you make a month.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 6:22 PM

6:22
no offense but I think you are slighlty delusional about how much BV commenters make ;-)

Posted by un:ART:ig | April 17, 2009 6:32 PM

Hell yeah I call it cashing in...but if you need $$ you do what you have to. Too bad the price in lost credibility is so dear. And hell no I don't make more in a month than they are making at Coachella.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 6:33 PM

the calculation is pretty simple, isn't it?!

masonic temple holds 2000 (a wild guess, maybe even more), ticket price $35. makes total rev of $70.000 of which at least 50% after all costs goes to the band. split over 4 folks makes it 8750, probably more per person. not to mention the real cash in, coachella. but hey, good for them. if people wanna dish it out to them and their Stones like retro-rock act, fair enough. all I know is that my ass was in bed.

Posted by un:ART:ig | April 17, 2009 6:38 PM

6:11, I know who cosey is and i know who i am attracted to

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 6:39 PM

>There's no doubt that the evening had some irritating aspects.

Isn't that the point of it all?

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 6:49 PM

If you dont know your history, but think brooklyn 20 somethings invented noise experimental music, then stay home or go hang out with your cliche.
Cosey is also older compared to the puppies on here who snipe with critic ease and dont realize she has medical problems. These guys have been playing since 1974 doing very original music for the time. But sure this venue is not the best thats for sure, but neither are very many in Manhattan.
No ones cashing in on these handful of shows in TG. Its probably enough to get back home overseas and have a little left. Chris maybe made more doing sound for the BBC in the early 70's.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 6:50 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 7:08 PM

Stoked for San Francisco on the 23rd! It's Throbbing Gristle, for fuck's sake. Of course they're not going to give you what you expect.

Los Angeles booking sources also confirm that the manager is an arch-dickwad. Is it still Paul from Blast First? Yeah, total fucking tool, that guy.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | April 17, 2009 7:09 PM

wow after reading all this I am very interested to see how tonight's lpr show goes

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 7:10 PM

I get that this was the first U.S. show in 28 years. I get that T.G. is so important to Music, let alone the 'Industrial' scene that you can ignore the fact there are 60 year olds on stage reading insipid poetry and pretending to play their instruments. (If you think she was playing that guitar, or Gen's plastic violin was live, you're both deaf and stupid.) I get that it was a show 'not to be missed' in the minds of many.
But.
Most bands sign autographs after their performance. That's when you meet and greet, not between sets. That's just a shameless attempt to get people to spend more money before they realize they're going to have their eardrums ruptured by some guy named Bruce Mcclure whose idea of a live performance is to spend 40 minutes standing in the darkest part of the stage, hiding behind a burly security guard, passing off feedback and electrical static coming out of your guitar as music. It's really inexusable, considering I was standing outside for an hour after doors were to have opened, for you to break the mood of the night to turn on the lights and sit around looking like you just filled your adult diaper while you pretend to care that someone 'saw you guys like 30 years ago at blah blah blah blah' while you scrawl your social security check sig onto someones vinyl.
The guy in the stupid cabana hat wasn't their manager, he was the idiot in charge of the venue. He didn't want the lights off because of security issues, from what I heard one of the staff tell.

But at least you got to reminisce and share stories with others of your ilk.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 7:13 PM

7:13 you just earned yourself a 6 pack or 2. it's on me, anytime :-)

Posted by un:ART:ig | April 17, 2009 7:21 PM

7:13, you are assigning an awful lot of motive there. don't you think lots of people just attended the show thinking it might be really good? how come you went?

Posted by s.k.e.l.e.t.o.n. | April 17, 2009 7:35 PM

I went because T.G., and especially it's spin-offs, takes up a significant portion of my music collection.
I went because I enjoy live performances, and am always hoping for something unique and special in a show.
I went because I expecting a great night, with great music, wanting to come out of it with some sort of fixed memory where I could recall the show and its great moments years from now when I'm one of those people that used to think I was cool dancing to obscure music in dark, dirty clubs on the LES.
I went because I was trying to get laid.

A lot of people were thinking it might be a really good show.

But think on how you worded that comment, and you'll realize why I am so jaded and came out of that show disenchanted, more than slightly annoyed, and bitter over the fact that my first live exposure to T.G. (I'm only 31) involved watching old home video footage, leaving the venue looking for 'something to do' while they sat around signing things (note, they promised they would sit there until EVERYONE got something signed, even if it took more than the alloted time), and stood around wondering how much more lively the night would have been if there were a DJ between sets to provide 'audio comfort' if for no other reason than to keep me around waiting for the next interruption in mood.

I will give T.G. this, they made up for it, albeit partially, when they got down to the real music. I can see a lot of elements from other genres and bands (it struck me and my friends that the sounds they were using were eerily and seriously close to those used by This Morn' Omina) being incorporated into their set. I'm not sure I would have preferred them to stay truer to T.G. and bring no progression.

But in the end I came out of it thinking how many other things I could have done and spent the money on that would have been much more interesting and memorable, in a good way, than I did.

I think I'll just keep the integrity and value I assign to T.G. alive by listening to them on my ipod, and console myself with the fact that the DVD will be out in 3 months, I'm sure.

Oh, and by the way, I am 7:13.

Posted by greg nobody | April 17, 2009 7:46 PM

*And if you don't know a clique from a cliche, come to BV with the rest of the pre-madonnas.
I dont come on here often to be one of the scenesters who live life to go to shows they dont really care about when its more of a social happening for them to talk about afterwards and dissect when most music now days is derivative, especially 99% of NYC bands.
Maybe 7:13 wants to say that to people's face hes talking about or anybody in TG? They might engage you revealing your inaninty.
* We went out for pizza, chinese food, have a few drinks at the bar (cans of Zywiec sell for 1.09 at the Polish deli, by the way), and make out with our girlfriends in the dark corners that make up the outside of the building and still made it in time to see T.G. signing more autographs.

Who cares about your personal life. You deserve a 6 pack of fresca. Too bad Whitehouse didint play to tell the little twits of Brooklyn pseudo arts to sit down and shut up.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 7:53 PM

7:13, oh man, now i understand and wholeheartedly sympathize.

Posted by s.t.i.l.l.a.s.k.e.l.e.t.o.n. | April 17, 2009 7:59 PM

"But it's ok, he hung out on stage with Throbbing Gristle, during their first NYC appearance ever, the first U.S. show in almost 30 years, while you stood in the crowd wondering how much Botox Genesis P-Orridge had injected into his/her face in the last year, and remarked on the fact that you were cool at one point in your life, when nobody got T.G., and you danced to the not-so-good that is Hamburger Lady at some club in the village in the late 80's, as it dawned on you that you were just another schmuck going deaf to music being played off a dat tape, listening to some geriatric transvestite spew out bad poetry, and it only cost you $40 bucks." That's a deeply cynical view of the show -- you could take that kind of view towards almost anything these days.
Personally, I wasn't there to be cool or trendy but to hear some interesting music, which the band delivered. The problems were mostly unrelated to the band's performances, though the band can be faulted to the extent that they allowed them to happen. The biggest problem was the lack of momemtum caused by the long gap between the first and third sets of the night, intensified by the fairly crapola audio stylings of Bruce McClure.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 8:22 PM

"but hey, good for them. if people wanna dish it out to them and their Stones like retro-rock act, fair enough. all I know is that my ass was in bed." LOL. I'd say TG is still pretty far away, in form and content and price, from the Stones' expensive nostalgia-fests.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 8:29 PM

The Bruce McClure set pretty bad but not as horrible as everyone is making it out to be. I mean yeah he played for way too long but have any of you had to sit through some bs like Two Man Advantage waiting to see some band at CB's? Now that's some real punishing and brutal performance art.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 8:54 PM

It wasn't a terrible show at all. The last set was amazing. True, they should have had the house lights off, but the amount of people moving and dancing after the lengthy ordeal was a testament to how good the music was and yes she was playing the guitar and Genesis was playing the violin. Her intensity on vocals was something I haven't seen in anyone in a long time. I don't understand most of the commentators on here. I guess I should just completely disregard it all when half of the basis on a show is how hot someone is or lengthy boring analytical biographical details about yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 9:17 PM

whoever organized this show (scenic?) were total unprofessional douchebags. Doors at 6pm means Doors at 6. Having people stand in line on cold windy evening is just inconsiderate. i asked someone inside at 6:10 and he said the doors would open "any minute." they actually open about a hour later. the whole affair was like amateur hour. while the staff weren't rude, they were indifferent which is just as bad. TG should have apologized for the delay.

music: i enjoyed the ambient/drone piece with the film and actually didn't mind the autograph signing though i wasn't expecting it. the McClure piece was more like "ode to a car alarm" than a great work of sonic art. as a sound sculpture not totally lame, but pretty close.

the final set by TG was great mix of industrial drone and techno rave.
propulsive and and engaging it had a lot of people on the main floor dancing and swaying. ultimately the buzz was killed by keeping the house lights on thru out the entire set. TG should have known better
and been more professional. this a template of how not to do a show.

( the security guys were like zombies. again, not rude, just not exactly affable)

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 9:51 PM

Wah, wah, wah. Do you know anything about TG? You were SUPPOSED to experience turmoil, confusion, chaos and disorientation. You were SUPPOSED to wait around aimlessly while they manipulated the venue and audience to annoy the hell out of everyone! These are people who used to give themselves pigsblood enemas onstage! PIGSBLOOD ENEMAS!!! And some LIGHTS got you all bent out of shape? When people started yelling and they turned the STAGE lights down I almost lost a kidney to hysterics. Get a sense of humor! Also I think Death Cab For Cutie are touring soon, you might want to check up on that.

Posted by Cameron | April 17, 2009 10:07 PM

cameron, were you even at last night's show? do you think that last night's show was somehow subversive in any sort of artistic or relevant way? it was amateur hour. i'm not bent out of shape at all.
i'm just describing what i experienced. not gonna lose any sleep over it. the BAND called for the house lights to be turned down, not just members of the audience.

"turmoil, confusion, chaos, blah, blah, blah" ? from an organizational standpoint it was annoying, nothing more, nothing less. and if you take the $$$ be professional.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 10:31 PM

Agree with Cameron -- to an extent. I.e., go to a TG show and expect to be fucked with. It was disgustingly loud. Corrosive. They kept the lights on out of willful perversity. Yes to all that.

But no excuse for the miserable Mcclure, the signing in the middle, the oafish security dude, the straw-hat wearing snide fuck.

Shadow of the Sun was gorgeous. Show was almost worth it for that alone. But that has as much to do with Jarman as TG.

Anyway, children, stop whining. Artists have no obligation to comfort you.

Posted by SnailKid | April 17, 2009 10:51 PM

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

Good night!

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 10:54 PM

"You were SUPPOSED to experience turmoil, confusion, chaos and disorientation."

Is this because they're pushing 60, going senile and suffering from Alzheimers? You're not doing a show at that age for the sake of music. If that was the case, you would have played here more than once in the last 30 f'ing years. Show some professionalism and push something a bit more organized. Nobody really cares for your bullshit theatrics and antics. Wow, they goofed on the lights and made people wait in the cold for an hour and a half on purpose, TO FUCK WITH YOUR MIND. Throbbing Gristle are mental terrorists. Totally cutting edge in mind-fucking their fans. Just wow, I can see what all the hubbub was about. Brutal shit.

I love that so many of you are so mature, in-touch and above the bickering, so much more together than the people who posted what they disliked and why. That their opinions and gripes are worthless and low-brow because they don't hold onto either of Genesis' fake tits, basking in his grossness.

Nobody gives a shit about you either. You're probably one of those that sat up on the balcony, fussing over your woke up behind a dumpster in some alley after a night of drinking and looking mopey at a Death in June show Hair, because you're dark, mysterious and sophisticated like a 14th century Romanian aristocrat, but deep down you're poetic and want to share in the artistic genius that is Throbbing Gristle.

Do you think sticking up for Throbbing Gristle and defending them against the people who came out of the show unhappy makes you like, part of Throbbing Gristle? You're fanboys. If you're too old to know the term, ask your son, the one you probably forced to go to the show with you.

As for 'all the people dancing', if you saw more than 10, we were at different shows.

Get off the glass podiums. Throbbing Gristle put on, or AT THE LEAST contributed to and certainly did nothing to prevent, a crappy night whose only saving grace was the throbbing beats they magically pulled out of their asses after three decades for about 45 minutes.

Pigblood enemas. I used to run around with my pants down and my dick out when I was a kid and my parents and everyone around them thought it was cute. Then I got older and it became creepy instead.

A lot like Genesis' soggy white bread face. I'm sure it seemed like a good idea way back in the day, and he thought that society would be going in a different direction, and instead of being gross and unsightly he would be hailed as a groundbreaking icon in social evolution and a pioneer of the looking like a Barbie left out in the Sun trend, but you know what? I don't think it worked out quite like how he planned.

But none of what I typed matters, because true fans and people who know music etc, etc, etc. Nobody gives a shit. Just like nobody gives a shit about this Funker Vogt show.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 10:56 PM

snailkid, "fucked with"? as in pushing people's buttons? doesn't get more infantile than that.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 11:04 PM

LPR. Straight music tonight. Sounds like last night was hard for people. Tonight's performance was strong. You could almost get into that trance like space if you wanted with the rhythms but the venue just wasn't for them. It should have been around a giant fire in the sand at Coney Island with the true wrong-doers sacrificing bored hipsters.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 11:13 PM

"I used to run around with my pants down and my dick out when I was a kid and my parents and everyone around them thought it was cute. Then I got older and it became creepy instead."

And then you woke up in a puddle.

Just because you paid to see a show and got bummed out in some obtuse, long-winded way doesn't mean anyone gives a shit about your broke ass and your dick flopping out.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | April 17, 2009 11:22 PM

i wrote " a lot of people dancing AND swaying" yes, way more than 10. ie grooving and into the music. no it wasn't complete pandemonium, but that was due to as many have mentioned: the pacing, lights, vibe, and length of the show. the music was indeed
quite good, the rest of it sucked.

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 11:30 PM

meh, I'll take psychick tv

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2009 11:42 PM

meh, i'll take the Vivian Girls.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 12:13 AM

there seems to be a lot of confusion about TG...the BV hipsters are stumped.

go suck on girl talk's clit.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 1:18 AM

April 17, 2009 7:13 PM

God i hope theres enough soul for you to justify your non working ass that believes your entilted to know what your pissing on this week with the free shows bought for you from the free rag. The biggest fake town in america. NYC endless time butterfly kids wallet from the parents teet.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 2:24 AM

How come everyone on this site is eternally pissed off about bands not being the same age as them?

Posted by Curious | April 18, 2009 2:52 AM

since when does Courtney Love sing for Throbbing Gristle?

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 5:29 AM

Fuck TG for selling out and pandering to these hipster fuck overnight convert wannabes. This looks like a nursing home bingo party. Too bad Cosey isn't shoving a screwdriver up her cunt, maybe it would have been a little bit captivating. Pathetic. Impotent. They should should have left it alone. Genesis is an attention whore. Can he even play an instrument? His tired ass became irrelevant so he gets fake boobs. How shocking! What's up with the 5-hour rock star autograph-signing merchandise- selling jizzfest? So lame. These suckers attending think they had the real experience and put another notch on their hipster cred belt. 30 years too late. If this was 1978 they would have been going to Elton John concerts. Suckers. TG became their exactly what they railed against back in the day.

Posted by Johny "C" Note | April 18, 2009 8:44 AM

"Someone shoot Throbbing Gristle an e-mail, tell them it's ok to lay down and die already."

LOL

I love how Genesis claims to have brought acid house to Europe and single-handedly started the Rave scene.

LOL

what a megalomaniac. You know they all hate him, he simply has a draw and these tired old druggies never made much moolah to begin with. Funny how as soon as they left him they soared. Chris and Cosey, Coil were both light years beyond what TG ever did. His ego held them back and overshadowed their talent, now they need cash and they are (reluctantly, I'm sure) doing this shit. I'll bet they can't wait until each show is over and they get their moeny; Sleazy's gonna go on a bender with a bunch of little Thai boys when he gets back home!!!

Posted by Johny "C" Note | April 18, 2009 8:53 AM

that pic of the autographed copy of "TG's Greatest Hits" has got to be one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen.

Posted by Johny "C" Note | April 18, 2009 9:04 AM

I can guarantee they think everyone that attended is a complete SUCKER

Posted by Johny "C" Note | April 18, 2009 9:06 AM

it was an awesome show. if you called ahead you would have known "bruce" was opening. it's not like anyone will be able to see them again so close to home.

Posted by kevin | April 18, 2009 10:54 AM

This is Dan Deacon for old folks.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 11:18 AM

Couple of things. How do they fuck with their fans by taking 45 minutes to sign autographs in the middle of the show? Secondly girl talk doesn't have a clit.

Posted by anonymous2 | April 18, 2009 11:25 AM

It's funny....if a new group of 20-something year olds were dressed like this onstage playing blippy-bloopy drone music, all of the old geezers on this site would be bitching and moaning about hipster-this and hipster-that (as they do with every post regarding Girl Talk, Dan Deacon, Crystal Castles, etc)...

...but a bunch of old people get onstage dressed in day-glo colors making indecipherable noise and all of a sudden it's supposed to be revolutionary and cool because old people are doing it.

Whatevs. It's funy, in a pathetic sort of way, when old (white) people try to act like they're still hip.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 12:03 PM

i can't believe how much bitching i'm reading!

as far as them just cashing in, this is such bullshit! maybe they are doing some gigs for money. well, hey, last i checked everyone's doing pretty shitty when it comes to money these days. HOW is a band getting together to play a HANDFUL of US shows a pathetic sell-out cash grab!?! i don't get the logic there. it's not like they're whoring themselves out to the highest bidder!

none of them have much money. those of us that aren't musicians, well, we'd have to just work some lame jobs to get our money.
they get to perform and earn some. Geee, yeah, that's SO pathetic.

it's just a couple of gigs! lighten up! and be realistic! maybe your sell-out sensors are too sensitive.

yes, i agree the show was poorly run. from the signing in the middle of the night, to the bright house lights, to the odd sense of disorganization and awkward confusion that permeated their set. and let's face it, they're not the best performers... i think they'd all admit to that. any of the live stuff i've ever heard from them has been a bit spotty.

but at the same time, i didn't have anywhere to be the next day, so i could care less if the signing was in the middle of the night.
didn't give a fuck. whenever.

and keep in mind, it is Throbbing Gristle, and their shows are never known for being by-the-book rock concerts. so munch on that. i expected something would be not-quite normal.

as far as what they played, they started with Very Friendly and ended with Discipline. In between, in no order, was Endless Not, Almost A Kiss, Hamburger Lady, What A Day... and i don't remember what else..

Posted by john | April 18, 2009 12:35 PM

Anon 12:03, it's revolutionary because they were doing this in 1976. You have to at least give them that.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 1:03 PM

As the promoter of the Masonic show I think we need to clarify a few points.

#1 Yes the man in the hat was T.G.'s manager and was nothing but a delight to work with.

#2 There were no less then 25 signs posted around the venue with a timeline of the night. There was a 100% reentry policy so if you did not enjoy the signing or Bruce McClure's set you were free to leave and return for T.G.'s next set.

#3 Information about the signing was on ticketweb
when you bought the tickets in advance. Seeing that 95% of the tickets were sold this way you should have been well aware of the signing and of Bruce McClure's set.

#4 The middle of the night signing was not an attempt to cash in. Seeing that the merch was almost sold out in advance of this. This night was set up by T.G. to not be a "rock show" but to
be an all around experience for fans.

#5 House lights were on at T.G.'s manager's request and really an interesting idea. I do
not understand how people are so bent out of shape by something this simple.

#6 Doors being delayed... Yes doors were delayed while everything was made perfect but set times
were caught up so things ran on the original time line.

All told amazing night.

Posted by Scenic | April 18, 2009 1:40 PM

The show on Friday was exactly 75 minutes long and very loud. My left eardrum still throbbing. They opened with "Very Friendly" and ended with "Discipline." In between was "Hamburger Lady" "AB/7A" and "What a Day." Two others might have been "Five Knuckle Shuffle" and "Almost A Kiss." Not sure if they did "Endless Not."

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 1:43 PM

Anon 1:03 - So? That was over 30 years ago. Nostalgia is for the weak. What are they doing now, in the year 2009? Answer: embarrassing themselves onstage.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 1:44 PM

Anon 1:03, perhaps, but that has nothing to do with not being a revolutionary, or better said influential, band. Which was the original point I was addressing.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 2:12 PM

@ Scenic,

as far as "doors being delayed so everything is made perfect": as i said in above post, that's just plain out unprofessional. if an old geezer like Lou Reed can show up 3 or 4 hours before a show,
anyone can.

I was more annoyed than uncomfortable standing in line for over an hour. a young kid in front of me was shivering, shaking actually.
your staff, inside and out, when queried about the delay, was at best indifferent.

the doormen were like zombies: ever hear of "hello", "ticket please"
"enjoy the show", etc. ignorant.

i've been to shows al over the world. i have an open mind. the pacing didn't work, plain and simple. the mcclure piece could have been played when fans were entering the auditorium.

i'm not bent out of shape about the house lights. again, for me, it didn't work. i like lights out, i find i focus on the performance better. just a preference.

the signing was a bit awkward, though not a big problem. it did
however alter the momentum. whatever. i do agree with you about the band "not cashing in". that's their business, not mine. no one is forced to buy anything anyway.

i totally enjoyed TG performance. there were a lot people grooving to the music, those that stayed.

Scenic, if you're ok with the organizational and PR aspects of the show, well, it's your reputation.

Posted by JIm CARLOCK | April 18, 2009 2:53 PM

Some of the criticisms here are legit, but some are totally the OTT whining of permanently bored trust fund brats who make it sound like the TG show was the most traumatic event of their pathetic little lives. The narcissism of such types is to be laughed at, not taken seriously. You're just now discovering that the world doesn't revolve around you? Hey, it only gets worse from there!

Posted by Gutterdandy | April 18, 2009 4:55 PM

it was disorganized, yes, but not too much of a mess. They should have opened doors at the specified time, considering it was cold outside.

No one was forced to buy anything. They were happy to sign anything. I saw someone get a necktie signed.

I didn't like the houselights being up during the show - detracted from it, I think.

Genesis is the worst dressed woman alive. Taaaaaaaaccccckkkkyyyy!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 5:01 PM

There are very few band reunions that actually work (Mission of Burma is the only one that comes to mind).

Most reunions are an opportunity for the musicians to relive their glory days a bit and make some money (which they often didn't manage to do in the glory days), and for the fans to try to pretend that they were actually there back in '76 experiencing something revolutionary.

If you can't suspend disbelief and forget that you are actually watching some old people playing inappropriately-youthful sounding music in a mediocre manner then you should stay home.

Posted by CassetteUG | April 18, 2009 5:12 PM

Anyone who expects "revolution" from a bunch of (non)musicians at this late date is pretty much deluded anyway, and just begging to be let down.

Posted by Gutterdandy | April 18, 2009 5:19 PM

The manager's whole set up for the Masonic Temple show was the downfall; nice how he made sure everyone saw him at all times and lingered on stage constantly futzing around standing in full view like he was in the band, then tipping his hat like 'yr welcome' at the end. No surprise Sonic Youth fired him for surprising them with an LP they never ok'd to be made. After Masonic Temple I think he got a talking to, cuz Le Poisson Rouge was mindblowing. No BS, they came out and played a full set - the sound was total crisp clear noisy, there was no nonsense, they were devastating and I really think people should go to all their US shows if they're nearby.

Posted by RJ | April 18, 2009 5:23 PM

@Scenic: The "manager" may have been delightful for you to work with, but he was otherwise extremely irritating and quite worthy of the "the straw-hat wearing snide fuck" label someone else affixed to him here.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 5:25 PM

Gutterdandy-

so you can read an anonymous post on a music thread and tell that someone is a "trust fund brat"and that they lead "pathetic lives"? hmmm.....are you psychic?

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 6:27 PM

everything relevant has been said and done before, it sucks from here on out, then you die. Chewing gum with no flavor left. Your jaw starts hurting so you spit it out. All that remains is making some cash so you can live large and trying to make as many people as possible feel shittier than you do until your card gets pulled. Go for delf, yeah.

Posted by me | April 18, 2009 6:28 PM

KILL YOUR IDOLS

Posted by jar jar binx | April 18, 2009 6:29 PM

Don't really understand all the animosity on here (I was reading the first part of the comments here). I enjoyed the show immensely on Thursday and the one on Friday. Yes the schedule for the show was on the wall in a couple of spots in the venue (masonic temple) and I knew there was a piece after the first Gristle set by someone else, the signing of fans' merch was nice; and all this ranting about the projection/film by this guy Bruce McClure being irritating and annoying is peculiar and funny to me. I am glad it fucked people off, perhaps that's the kind of shit that happened to audiences when Gristle played back in 1977! The film and extremely loud noise loop by McClure was interesting to me and I played with it as much as my mind wanted to, it was an aural stimulation of hallucinatory aspects and a challenge to the eyes and ears. People, Gristle sounded absolutely killer, the beats were heavy and the improvisation was there. TG get tons and tons of respect from me, their sounds influenced me tremendously over great periods of my life, and I see them now making vital and important and disturbing music and noise even today in freaking 2009! Out

Posted by Blue | April 18, 2009 6:55 PM

Posted by Mick | April 18, 2009 7:00 PM

"KILL YOUR IDOLS" -- but only after you cash Daddy's check for the rent.

Posted by Gutterdandy | April 18, 2009 7:04 PM

"Gutterdandy - so you can read an anonymous post on a music thread and tell that someone is a 'trust fund brat'and that they lead 'pathetic lives'? hmmm.....are you psychic?"

LOL. If the shoe fits....

Posted by Gutterdandy | April 18, 2009 7:07 PM

"I am a long time fan, waiting for so long for these shows. They weren't good. I'm shattered..."

You and Mick Jagger both.

Posted by Gutterdandy | April 18, 2009 7:08 PM

@ Blue,
"People, Gristle sounded absolutely killer, the beats were heavy and the improvisation was there. TG get tons and tons of respect from me....."

i agree, TG put on a very good late set. and the mcclure piece was interesting but great sonic art? don't think so.

the animosity comes from the above mentioned posts. why are there so many of them? clearly when you get so many somebody's not doing their job. when people are not talking about the performance something's wrong.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 7:27 PM

"the animosity comes from the above mentioned posts. why are there so many of them?"

Because with TG no-one knew what to expect and therefore people came to the show with all kinds of differing expectations. It was inevitable that some of these people wouldn't get what they were looking for, and would end up disgruntled. Some of the gripes are legit, but some of them are the product of too much navel-gazing.

Posted by Gutterdandy | April 18, 2009 7:33 PM

Right, I think there's some unhappy people on here. Unhappy as people, perhaps. What do you expect? "There's never a way, to Convince People - and you are the people...."

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 7:46 PM

"no one knew what to expect"? i'm fine with that. i like being challenged. it's just the whole affair was a bit disjointed and didn't work as well as it could have. when a third of the audience leaves the building and doesn't come back, that's a problem.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 8:05 PM

"a third of the audience leaves the building and doesn't come back, that's a problem." A think a third is a bit fanciful. A few people left, but not a third of the audience. And I did say that some of the gripes (re loss of momentum and bad scheduling)were legit. But the hysterics here by some are just the gripes of professional malcontents. The show was at the very least interesting.

Posted by Gutterdandy | April 18, 2009 8:25 PM

a lot of people left. a good deal more than a few. yes, it was interesting and i applaud TG for attempting to expand one's idea of visual art + music. "hysterics"? most people are simply expressing their opinions and impressions.

you see my feeling is that if you're going to do an event like this go
all out. make it an all day event. don't do it halfway. show "blowjob"
by warhol. show work by carolee schemann or something by paul sharrits. install a work in the lobby. install something in the balcony. go all the way. the autograph signing was a momentum killer.want real anarchy? have a band playing while the signing is going on. now that's something people would be talking about! LOL! there's gotta be a better way.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 9:21 PM

"The show was at the very least interesting."

Yes. And TG fanatics expect a whole lot more than that. They should have left it alone and left their reputation intact. On to Coachella, right? FAIL.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 10:38 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 11:39 PM

Throbbing Gristle...just another stupid fucking rock band.

Posted by Anonymous | April 18, 2009 11:49 PM

And aon 11:49 another big jerk and scumbag.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 12:00 AM

You're all dummies. The show was mint!
Go see the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.
Dicks!

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 5:04 AM

DICKS!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 5:12 AM

Yeah!!!! You guys are dicks!! Shut up!!

Posted by Joey Chlamydia | April 19, 2009 11:44 AM

Just the fact that they are playing Coachella should tell you what their current stance is. I think the problem is, people are wanting them to be the same TG that they were in the 70's, and they are not. They are much more accepted, mainstream now. They are, in effect, pop stars, not the subversive fringe sonic terrorists they once were. It's called growing old. You forget what you were so angry about. They are thinking about retirement now, not blowing people's minds.

Posted by Goofus Ginsberg | April 19, 2009 11:48 AM

seriously, they are headlining Coachella with "sir" Paul McCartney!!!

Posted by Goofus Ginsberg | April 19, 2009 11:51 AM

"The show was at the very least interesting."

>Yes. And TG fanatics expect a whole lot more >than that.

You maybe expected them to change your boring, futile existence with a concert? Then you're pathetic and should seek help.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 6:45 PM

"They are, in effect, pop stars"

Yeah, Genesis is right up there with Britney and Lil' Wayne. Get the fuck outta here.

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 6:48 PM

fantastic coverage, have seen all of their uk comeback stuff. great boots !

Posted by dan | April 19, 2009 8:05 PM

"I think the problem is, people are wanting them to be the same TG that they were in the 70's, and they are not. They are much more accepted, mainstream now. They are, in effect, pop stars, not the subversive fringe sonic terrorists they once were. It's called growing old. You forget what you were so angry about. They are thinking about retirement now, not blowing people's minds."

How the FUCK DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY'RE THINKING ABOUT? POP STARS? ARE YOU FUCKING NUTS? ARE THEY ON THE COVER OF ROLLING STONE AND HANGING OUT WITH BONO? YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT,PAL!

Posted by Anonymous | April 19, 2009 8:42 PM

this is pretty weird. aside from the set in the middle of the show, this was pretty fantastic. i don't understand what people could have disliked about this unless they a) don't enjoy industrial/drone/electronic music or b) are delusional about this band.

Posted by Isfet | April 20, 2009 9:57 AM

From now on, whenever I see a band that I like and they put on a shitty show, I'm just going to claim that it was supposed to suck as part of some larger existential statement that the band was trying to make, and if you don't get it then you're just stupid. It's so self-referential that there's no way to refute it. Perfect strategy.

Idiots.

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2009 10:11 AM

I'm amused by the people upset about the house lights. Have you ever thought that perhaps the folks on stage were as or more interested in seeing the audience as the audience was in seeing them?

I can't help the sense that a number of people who attended were there for social currency reasons rather than a serious interest or familiarity with TG, particularly among the negative commentors here.

Posted by Fitz | April 20, 2009 11:09 AM

wow, thanks for the nod, bv.

anyway, i kinda liked the novelty of the house lights being up. that one guy in the decks was being more than a bit of a wankstain after the second or third time of yelling "turn off the lights!" too much twitter or something gets one used to automatic feedback for all our whims. gen had a pretty good runback with "i happen to think we're quite cute" so good for him.

the mcclure thing would have been ok for about ten minutes, but 40 minutes was tedious business. the autograph routine was indeed more than a bit odd, but people seemed to dig it, or at least dug taking pictures of it.

the actual set was pretty much great. i was a wee bit sad i didn't get to hear subhuman but that closer of discipline was worth the ticket price alone.

Posted by dhex | April 20, 2009 11:09 AM

@Fitz

some people are extremely sensitive to bright lights. i'm not myself
but i do prefer the lights be turned off because i don't want to be distracted by the audience and it also helps me focus more on the performance. not at all upset, just a preference.

@dhex
agree. the mcclure thing didn't work in the context of the show. i would have preferred a more visual piece, or another band, but i give TG credit for attempting something different

the signing was ok, but combined w the car alarm sound sculpture
it kinda killed the momentum.

TG was very good, not super fantastic.

Posted by comet69 | April 20, 2009 11:58 AM

@comet69

I'm sure there are people sensitive to light, but it wasn't exactly a case of having several floodlights on stage to blind the audience. They simply left the house lights on which fits just fine with TG's long-standing attempt to break the mind-set of conventional performance expectations. In fact I thought Gen's idea for turning down the stage lights while keeping the house lights up would have been even better.

Posted by Fitz | April 20, 2009 2:01 PM

"i love all of the "the show was supposed to suck and make you angry" self-justification going on in this thread. then again, if i had just dropped $40 on a show, i'd probably be trying to convince myself, against all odds & reality, that it was worth it too."

best comment on this thread. HAHAH

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2009 2:09 PM

I had a wonderful time at this show. I really don't understand why some people on here are whining so much!

As the promoter posted here, no aspect of the show's organization should have been a surprise to anyone, considering the many set-time signs hanging about the venue. yeah, I could have left during McClure's set if I wanted to, but I hung around. Whatever.

To the moron complaining about waiting in line before we were let into the main room: have you ever been to a show before? Exactly how often do they start right on time, every time? Not often. When you're dealing with sound and general A/V for live events, the rule is: shit happens. TG have to deal with it, the techs have to deal with it, WE had to deal with it.

TG's main set was great - it was loud, groovy, weird, etc. and I had an amazing time. At first I was curious, but after Gen's first jokes to the crowd about it, I assumed it had to be a classic TG mind-fuck...and then I just enjoyed the show, because it was very good.

Considering the shit they've pulled on audiences in the past (ahem), we got it light - rather literally. I drove down from Boston and didn't feel cheated in the least. Quite the treat.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2009 2:03 AM

I should add: it goes without saying that I'm referring to the house lights in paragraph four.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2009 2:10 AM

@ 2:03

i wouldn't characterize the above comments as "whining". no one was asking for hot chocolate and sugar cookies while standing in line. when a promoter/band gets this much -ve feedback they're doing something wrong.

i don't share the reverential notion that TG "fucks" with its fans, that they are "subversive", that's what they do,blah, blah. when there is a specific time on the tkt, that's when i expect the doors to open. i think you're a moron for not complaining.

i go to shows and events all the time, i can't even remember when a top act at an est venue didn't start on time.

i didn't know about the signing or mcclure piece in advance, but didn't have a big problem with it. appreciate TG trying out something new. it just didn't work well within the context of the whole event.
btw, if the mcclure thing was so good why not play it at the end of the show and see how many people stay.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2009 10:07 AM

Thursday night -
I thought it was a beautiful beautiful show.

I'm serious.

To me, all four of them came off as beautiful, beautiful, beautiful people.

No irony here.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2009 2:36 PM

If you read the history of TG, you'll find that pretty much every one of their shows has inspired a slew of deep vitriol, ad hominem attacks, and completely unbalanced, passionate hatred against them as individuals, as well as occasional physical violence towards them. This is not a judgement for or against the value of their live show on Thursday, which happened to deeply move me. It is just to place these shows, and this message board, in a context.

Posted by Prsi popper | April 21, 2009 2:43 PM

that projection piece rocked. everybody's totally brainwashed now. were all going to do funnel shots + a big communal enema next show just wait n see.
they rock no matter what who cares about manager tyoe in a hat and wierd security dude those dudes are always wierd.

Posted by shackler | April 22, 2009 7:13 PM

It was Throbbing Gristle, not Yeah Yeah Yeahs......stupid hipsters.
And I've been to MANY concerts in my time, and I don't think ONE of them started on time. But then again, I don't go to see bands like Lady Gag or whatever hipster-doofus band is popular at the moment. I live a few blocks from the masonic temple, I could have went home, taken a nap, had a beer , whatever, and come back to see the 2nd part of the show. I didn't. I stayed and enjoyed the whole experience. OK, not Bruce Mcclure, but the rest was pretty cool. I'm outta Ft Greene very soon, and I can;t wait to go live in a real neighborhood, without you arty farty twits living off mommy and daddys money. You ruin everything. No one expects you to get TG anyway, so who cares what you all think..............

Posted by anon | April 23, 2009 8:44 PM

"I can;t wait to go live in a real neighborhood, without you arty farty twits living off mommy and daddys money. You ruin everything."

Well said. Is there anything as whiny, self-centred and pathetic as a bunch of trust fund hipster brats?

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2009 10:22 PM

"And I've been to MANY concerts in my time, and I don't think ONE of them started on time"

I guess you have never been to the Bowery Ballroom or other Bowery Present venues. They tend to be very punctual.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2009 10:49 PM

for the "kids" that don't get it...
you don't get it. get over it.
for those "kids" who say TG are old and whatever else...
you will get old too.
hopefully you will look as great as members of TG and possibly do something as legendary as TG.
I highly doubt it though.
go follow your own trends and see if they were really 'cool' when you reflect on them.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 4:35 PM

for the "kids" that don't get it...
you don't get it. get over it.
for those "kids" who say TG are old and whatever else...
you will get old too.
I highly doubt it though.

Posted by Anonymous | April 28, 2009 4:50 PM

Anyone complaining about a TG show needs to get slapped. Dude, you saw TG. Now Shut-Up. Did you expect to have a pleasant evening out? These guys are true transgressive nihlist creeps. Sheesh, go see Phil Lesh and eat a granola bar or something.

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2009 5:10 PM

Fordham to a SUNY actually go to a SUNY. I highly doubt these people are actually as important as they make themselves out to be

Posted by سعودي كام | February 25, 2011 9:19 AM