Posted in music | tour dates on April 3, 2009

DOWNLOAD: Guv'ner - Bay's Way Cruel (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Guv'ner - Help Me (MP3)

XXMerge

In celebration of our 20th anniversary, Merge bands of the past and present will converge for 5 days of live music, July 22-26th in the heat of the sunny North Carolina summer. We are calling these 5 days of live music and mayhem, XX Merge.

XX Merge Wednesday, July 22nd - Sunday, July 26th
4 nights at the Cat's Cradle in Carrboro, NC
1 night at Memorial Hall in Chapel Hill, NC on UNC Campus Details of additional music & bedlam yet to come!

GuvnerFeaturing over 25 of your favorite Merge artists including...Superchunk, Spoon, Conor Oberst, Spent, M. Ward, The Rosebuds, Destroyer, Guv'ner, Polvo, Pipe & The Broken West. Many more bands both expected and unexpected still to-be-announced!

5-Day Passes are $150 and will get you in to all XX Merge festivities. Passes will go on sale on Wednesday, April 8th at 10 AM EST via catscradle.com and mergerecords.com. 5-day passes are nontransferable. A limited number of tickets for individual Cradle shows and the Memorial Hall show will be made available at a later date.

And this interesting tidbit from their FAQ's: "We will announce a (nearly) complete list of Merge bands who will be playing prior to the festival, but you will have to come to each show to find out who is playing on which night. We think it's more fun that way!"

The Rosebuds are now in the midst of their April tour that brings them back to NYC for two shows soon.

M Ward is also playing Coachella and Central Park Summerstage this year. All dates below.

Check out the video for Spent's "Umbrella Wars", below...

PREVIOUSLY: XX Merge Festival: July 22-26, 2009 in NC

05/18/09 Visalia, CA @ Fox Theatre
05/19/09 Oakland, CA @ Fox Theatre
05/22/09 Eugene, OR @ McDonald Theater
05/23/09 George, WA @ Sasquatch Music Festival
07/22-26 Carrboro, NC @ XX Merge
08/01/09 New York, NY @ Summerstage

So far a snoozer yuppie lineup considering all the bands they've put out releases for. I'm surprised they didn't bring out the big guns yet with Arcade Fire. It kind of makes you wonder if Arcade Fire are even going to release their next album on their label.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 12:49 PM

Seems cool, but having it over 5 days makes the trip impossible.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 12:49 PM

right, even though they showed up to do 2 Chapel Hill area shows with superchunk last year...

Posted by D.D.D.Dave | April 3, 2009 12:54 PM

Guv'ner. Wow.

Posted by Regular reader | April 3, 2009 1:00 PM

@12.54pm

Oh, bullshit. That was last year. You know, when they were there to support the Obama campaign and not Superchunk and Merge. I'm sure they're on friendly terms and all, still on the label but I can definitely seeing them going somewhere else just to switch things up.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 1:01 PM

I believe Arcade Fire are in the beginning process of recording a new album so they probably won't play....or if they do, they will get added much later for sure (for anyone living around NC, what's the capacity at Cat's Cradle?)

I can see them being sub-headliner for Coachella/Glastonbury 2010

enough about them....more importantly, where is Neutral Milk Hotel reunion!

or better yet does anyone know if Matador 20th Anniversary Festival is happening this year? I mean we could potentially see Pavement, Yo La Tengo, Sonic Youth, Mogwai, Belle * Sebastian, and etc in one setting!

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | April 3, 2009 1:10 PM

Arcade Fire and Magnetic Fields, please.

Posted by Hot yuppie girl banging Anon 12:54pm | April 3, 2009 1:14 PM

neutral milk hotel!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 1:21 PM

I wonder if the 'music and mayhem' line in the press release is a hint that Scharpling & Wurster will make a stage appearance.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 1:27 PM

chapel hell

Posted by nick | April 3, 2009 1:28 PM

chapel hell

> ever been ?

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 1:38 PM

way to showcase how boring your label is merge!

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 1:44 PM

cats cradle is 650 cap. the arena at UNC is way bigger though, so that sunday show will probably be the arcade fire one? maybe? who knows.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 1:45 PM

if they could get archers of loaf or small to play that would be awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 1:53 PM

spoon needs to come back through ny soon!

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 1:55 PM

July?? why not do this in the fall when the weather won't melt your brain?

Posted by EF Matt | April 3, 2009 2:36 PM

Spoon and Superchunk are BORING? Really, I don't know what's wrong with you people.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 2:52 PM

July?? why not do this in the fall when the weather won't melt your brain?

... Because thats when their anniversary is / always was.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 3:42 PM

@ 2:52pm

Superchunk - no
Spoon - Oh god yes. I'm feeling sick with boredom just thinking about their bland vanilla indie sound.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 4:50 PM

@4:50 - if you think Britt can't write a good song, please list out some of your current favorites who you think can.

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 5:18 PM

pretty underwhelming lot at this point-also the sound at the cats cradle seriously sucks-bummer

Posted by ryan | April 3, 2009 5:28 PM

Teenage Fabclub! please!

Posted by blureu | April 3, 2009 5:31 PM

dang typo! Teenage FaNclub!

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 5:32 PM

Bad news: Merge has a now towels allowed policy and, if you're reading this, uratowel.

Posted by Obamy | April 3, 2009 6:06 PM

"> ever been ?"

used to live there

hiiyyyyyyooooooooo

Posted by nick | April 3, 2009 6:32 PM

> ever been ?"

used to live there

hiiyyyyyyooooooooo

care to elaborate ?

Posted by Anonymous | April 3, 2009 9:42 PM

I have seen Spoon 4 times, and I don't even like them. I was either working the event, or it was free. They are hands down one of the most boring, overrated band's I've ever seen

Posted by Anonymous | April 4, 2009 2:44 AM

^
loser musician/bad songwriter who "works events".

Posted by Spoon Gang | April 4, 2009 1:39 PM

@ 5:18pm Wow, are you really going to make it that easy? I was going to make a list but then I figured I had better things to do with my time than list 100 other bands that aren't Spoon. Anybody is basically better than them. Hell, I'd rather listen to Taylor Swift.

Posted by Anonymous | April 4, 2009 1:40 PM

^
listens to Taylor Swift.

Posted by Officer Obvious | April 4, 2009 1:59 PM

1:53 PM

Yes! If Small(23) plays, then I'm there.

Posted by Anonymous | April 4, 2009 6:04 PM

Small 23 were never on Merge.....

Posted by Anonymous | April 4, 2009 10:54 PM

Superchunk's new EP rules, i streamed it live from a link here: http://indierocksucks.blogspot.com/2009/03/you-know-ive-never-been-big-fan-of_20.html

any more news on a superchunk full tour? that would be awesome i'd assume they're gonna go for it??

Posted by Music Dorkus | April 5, 2009 8:28 PM

POLVO should be listed second after Superchunk...they really rule over all those boring yuppie fuck bands.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2009 8:32 PM

When I think of Merge Records, I think of Superchunk. Period.

Of course, I would LOVE to see Archers of Loaf.

Posted by Anonymous | April 5, 2009 9:25 PM

I gotta say "you won't know who will play until you get there" is perfect for youngsters or for people going for the 5 nights anyway, but as someone who has supported the label for 19 out of the last 20 years - it definitely makes this event a non-starter for me. I would look to get down there for a couple nights, even take time off from work and whatnot, but come on - I'd rather skip the entire event and youtube it rather than drive 20 hours only to find out that the previous night I missed Arcade Fire open up for Neutral Milk Hotel and both bands shared the stage for a 15 minute version of Two Headed Boy Part 2.

I love Merge records and am sure they are going to sell tickets without fail, but to create interest beyond their already loyal fanbase, they will need to tip their hand a little bit and let us know what nights we can see our favorite acts.

Posted by crispin glover | April 6, 2009 11:42 AM

Boy Crispin...so much for Merge putting out your next record! I think word will get out and I also think alot of the people who will buy passes get the concept..

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2009 3:17 PM

>Of course, I would LOVE to see Archers of Loaf.

Archers only put a single out on Merge... so I doubt that would be enough to reunite them.... though don't expect them to show up any Alias Records anniversaries either...

Posted by Anonymous | April 8, 2009 3:25 PM

wow... a lotta folks bitchin, but you are all sure as hell interested and checkin it out. shut the fuck up. Chapel Hill and The Cradle still rock, who cares if your favorite band is playing and on what night. Why not support something that has brought you pleasure for quite some time whether you are going or not. Stop your bitchin assholes.
Thanks Merge. Been a great friend over the years

Posted by alfred | April 8, 2009 9:38 PM

Went to Thursday nights show. WORST SHOW EVER!
Lineup included broken west (good job), richard buckner (....not so much), guv'ner (i like them, but they didn't know the songs, unbelievable), versus (good), 3D (who?), and superchunk (which if you actually live in chapel hill, you know isn't a big deal) $32 REALLLY MAC?, the night before they had clientel (msp), magnetic fields, and connor oberst, the night after they had polvo, spoon, lambchop and pipe. Not telling who's playing was a total ripoff. I was stupid enough to buy a ticket to a show where I didn't know who I was seeing and will not make that mistake with MERGE ever again, though the rest of the shows would have to be better than the one I went to.

Posted by Jerry | July 25, 2009 12:20 PM

Neutral Milk Hotel would be a great show, as well as above mentioned. I would want to know a lineup before I shell out that kinda cash though. Seems crazy to drive three hours to stand around wondering who is playing.That would be a first, I mean $150 come on-really? Some people do have jobs and need to schedule their lives a lil bit. We all are not permantly in college, or wonder aimlessly around throwing money around in this economy.

Posted by Michael | April 30, 2013 4:46 AM