Posted in music | pictures on May 14, 2009

photos by Natasha Ryan

Animal Collective

"There actually is some brand new material being played on this tour, a three minute gem that goes by the working title "Bleed," written last week, which continues Panda's odyssey of Caribbean gold digging, just back and forth vocal interplay over a bed of washy noise and instrumentation so sparse it's hardly there at all. It's quick -- some I heard from even mistook it for a between-song interlude -- but it again finds them stroking just the right melodic nerve amidst the weirdness. The other new song played was the Grateful Dead-sampling Merriweather outtake "What Would I Want Sky." [Tripwire]
Animal Collective and Grouper played Terminal 5 in NYC last night (5/13). Two nights earlier they played the 9:30 Club in DC, and you can listen to that whole show courtesy of NPR. Both setlists, more pictures, and videos, including one of the new song being performed on May 10th in Baltimore, below...

Grouper...

Grouper

Grouper

Grouper

Grouper

Grouper

Grouper

Grouper

Animal Collective...

Animal Collective

and then there are the pictures of the roof.

"Bleed" @ Ottobar Baltimore, MD - May 10, 2009

"Summer Time Clothes" @ Terminal 5 - 5-13-09

Terminal 5 Setlist: (via)
Chocolate Girl

"Daily Routine"
"Bleed"
"Lablakely Dress/Fireworks"
"Banshee Beat"
"Who Could Win a Rabbit"
"Brother Sport"

Nitrous balloons outside after the show? Really? Did anyone else see that kid faceplant by the pretzel cart?

Great show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:26 AM

I would've just seen Grouper and then leave

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:34 AM

I watched LOST!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:35 AM

LOST Rules

Posted by The Son of Liberty | May 14, 2009 10:38 AM

Was the sound crap? The roofdeck looks pretty cool.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:40 AM

did anyone see that girl in the sitting in corner covered in puke? and i went i walked home from the show saw about4 different puddles of puke. why was everyone so wasted?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:41 AM

I hate Animal Collective. Their music makes me want to punch babies.

Posted by Ken | May 14, 2009 10:41 AM

the sound was terrible, one of the worst shows i have been to this year.

Posted by b | May 14, 2009 10:42 AM

Ben was put in his place by Jacob last night. Totally DISSED!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:43 AM

choclate girl
as opener

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:43 AM

Everone puked because they subjected themselves to an AC show at T5.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:45 AM

Grouper kills deer

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:46 AM

Wow, the set list for the band is becoming standardized--dare I say predictable? And they're playing hardly any new songs on this tour. What does this change mean for the band--are they now more complacent, set in their ways, afraid of experimentation?

Posted by Regular reader | May 14, 2009 10:47 AM

What time did Grouper go on?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:48 AM

Still exhausted from this morning,they did a really great job though!! I wanted Daily Routine // Who Could Win a Rabbit though...

Posted by Pedro | May 14, 2009 10:48 AM

8:30

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:50 AM

Grouper went on at 830, A.C. went on at 930.
Sound was terrible.

Posted by anon | May 14, 2009 10:53 AM

they totally did a 15 second Peacebone tease during Fireworks jam

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:55 AM

puke > animal collection x terminal 5 > puke puddles

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:55 AM

i'm really hoping that will change for the summer. understand they're taking time to think about their next step, but some songs they can really stop playing. like firworks, and put we tigers back in and play the reworked songs more often, and please god just a lil bit from stawberry jam!!!!!!!!!!!!! i mean come on! eveyother album gets good play... oh and feels, more feels more stawberry jam for summer concert, panda bear as an opener and deakin as suprise guest

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:55 AM

sounded great, show was great. FATTY WHIPS FATTY WHIPS

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:55 AM

what is fatty whips and oxidized...kfaldkf whatever balloons, i was tempted but was scared it was just helium

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:58 AM

aw more crowd pics
that one is beautiful
sea of bluish

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 10:59 AM

that show sucked. worst i've been to this year.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:00 AM

I thought the sound was actually pretty decent. Animal Collective did a great job, and played a wonderful setlist. It was a really awesome night.

@Anon 10:58, it's nitrous oxide, which gives way more of an effect than helium, hahah.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:00 AM

All ages = big mistake.

Someone was selling nitrous-filled balloons outside the venue after the show. And yeah, some kid sucked it all in and quickly did a faceplant on the concrete. We passed by a few minutes later to go home and saw him taken away in an ambulance. So many 'kids' there. Show was good though. But in Terminal 5, the only way to really 'enjoy' a show there is if you are up real close to the stage. Otherwise, don't bother. The place is so hugely cavernous, it doesn't surprise me that the sound would suck anywhere except right down in front. I was in front and I thought it sounded real good, even with earplugs. The crowd, though, was a little younger than what I'm used to. But overall, I'd give the show a B+.

And as an aside, Terminal 5 (as I think almost everyone agrees) is a terrible venue. I wish bands would stop playing there. Shut that place down. Please.

Posted by Joseph | May 14, 2009 11:04 AM

is that the stuff that makes your brain go woooow ooowwwwooo WWooooooOOO. i remember my boyfriend trying to explain his experience of it when his mother caught him and i just kept imagining crazy eyes o_O. damn kinda wish i bought some

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:07 AM

these pictures suck so much

BUT LOST WAS SO GOOD! HOLY SHIT JACOB~!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:09 AM

How long was Grouper's set? Anyone have or know her setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:15 AM

are you serious? really? the show sucked? what show were you at? were you even at the show? do you even know who animal collective is? i think the only ppl who can honestly say that the show was underwelming for them, are ppl who constantly go to the shows and found the same material for the setlist for like the nth time, but those ppl enjoy animal collective so much that they wouldn't complain about that for last night, cuz it was so stellar, and they were really on point, and you could tell they were enjoying themselves, and the crowd was too, and all curteously and happily.
in my humble opinion last night was one of the best shows i've seen from them

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:18 AM

why do people always troll the animal collective threads? YOU suck.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:22 AM

i thought the show was sick. if you were close to the stage it sounded perfect and ass long as your not surrounded by d-bags it was pretty awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:40 AM

can you guys go and watch Lost again and stop posting here? or listen to whatever trite crap it is you listen to and leave the babies alone, too?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:42 AM

Happy I didn't go, the "kids" comments make me think of Girl Talk. Over crowded, bad sound, surrounded by kids and security. Why don't they play "Peacebone" anymore?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:46 AM

did anyone see that epic fight outside?

Posted by sam | May 14, 2009 11:48 AM

she played about 6 songs it was about 45 minutes
sorry wish i could help you with the setlist, i just know she played heavy water / i'd rather be sleeping, the only song i can ever get into of hers, my friend laughed when i told her the title

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:53 AM

i meant to mention she played it at the end,

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:55 AM

fucking deaf after that show. terminal 5 is the worst venue that brings in the best artists.

wear earplugs for the next one

where is the Strawberry Jam love? REVEREND GREEN!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:56 AM

i was in the front, best show ive ever been to in my life. sound was great, transitions were well thought out. the shitted kids made the show that much better

Posted by saints | May 14, 2009 11:57 AM

i kind of think the ppl who wait for threads just to say that the artist suck are kind of lame, maybe if they said more then they suck there were lil kids there and bad venue would be a bit more interesting to read, word there were kids there... so go to the balcony duh, otherwise shut up and enjoy your chosen spot. plus the kids were kind of awesome at last night show, they were just enjoying it, i have a new found appreciation for kids in ny after going to electric factory

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:59 AM

nitrous is wack, kids. i did a balloon once already wasted, woke up in my yard around sunrise. someone took me home and dumped me in the grass. wait, actually it was pretty awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 12:00 PM

AC were better than I expected. Still kind of boring at moments live, but they at least had their shit together and sounded good (as good as Terminal 5 allows). I don't understand why they hate Strawberry Jam save for Fireworks. Also, the all ages aspect definitely sucked but it luckily didn't take away from the show, at least for me.

Also basically any mention of AC on this site will bring out the haters, people should stop being surprised by how fast these threads deteriorate into non-stop bashing. If you're a fan and went to the show last night you should have enjoyed it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 12:00 PM

i don't understand why fireworks has gotten it mid section stance at every show, i guess to get all jam band like, but every shou?! is it nessesary (f spelling)? please do peacebone chore, loch raven, number one, grass, we tigers, again
reworked purple bottle would be masterful, can't believe they haven't reworked that

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 12:05 PM

yeah what happened to when they used to play peacebone into fireworks, back into peacebone or w/e it was. Also, what happened to Reverend Green.

Oh and calm down with the N20 balloons, people go through 100s of those in a night, doing 1 balloon isn't going to kill you, it's a short lived high idiots.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 12:09 PM

nitrous oxide = laughing gas
nothing special lil ones

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 12:09 PM

wasn't there a "people" interlude in there before fireworks?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 12:18 PM

I miss Animal Collective being a band. They're more machine than band now.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 12:20 PM

I went last night because I wanted to see for myself what all of the AC hype was about.

...this morning, I'm still trying to figure it out.

I don't hate them, but I don't get why they're so big either. Sounds like stuff I'd hear at underground parties in Williamsburg back in the late 90's.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 12:21 PM

AC are like a drug/rave band now days and honestly I love it. But terminal 5 fucking sucks!! It was a great show- but easily my worst AC show because of the mother fucking venue!! I am tall and was very close to up front and still had a hard time seeing everything, there is also no room in that venue! by the next tour- AC really need to change up their setlists!! AC are still the shit, but Fuck Terminal 5!!!! Hate that place

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 12:33 PM

Great show last night.

If only they could reconfigure the entire space and transport all the douchebags out of there.

Posted by Anonymal | May 14, 2009 12:36 PM

I'm hoping the band mixes it up a bit by the time they play Prospect Park in August. I'd like to hear more new songs and older songs that haven't been played live in the past two years. Bring back Deakin so we can get a couple tunes from Feels!

Posted by Regular reader | May 14, 2009 12:42 PM

more feels more jam

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 12:59 PM

what makes animal collectives shows so unappealing these days is not the music but the damn spectacle! why cut off views of their legs behind reflective vinyl shower curtain material. it would be one thing if they lost their legs, it's another thing to make an aesthetic choice to keep them out of view on purpose. so stupid! that's why they look so damn wooden to everyone. they aren't in robert wyatt's state. it's so alienating. it's so boring. it's like they are projecting half the visuals of the film.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:01 PM

word to that
they failed to realize on of the best visuals they have is that rare case of seeing panda wailing and the drums still and avey jumping around, and that was completely hidden with those sheets, i like the columns of lights better, and before that i just liked when they would all just go crazy and deakins booty bounce, bring back the booty bounce

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:06 PM

I was there, it was awesome!!! Thank you Travis Klein for the invitation!!

Posted by Felix | May 14, 2009 1:08 PM

"dude you're blocking our way!"
"it's for my job, i have to take pictures."
oh by all means then... :/

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:12 PM

"dear photographer, you ruined my life last night, i hope your pictures and job was worth it, cuz apparently you thought i should think it was excuse enough to not care about my own view and comfort"

It obviously wasn't Natasha who took these pictures that did that to you, so why post that BS here as if it was her. At least be more specific. There are some jerks out there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:15 PM

dear 1:12pm,

that was probably a dude.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:19 PM

didn't exactly mean this photog in general
specifics:
dude wit a camera that ruined my life, it's not bs to me it was tragic. i wish photographers would go away

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:31 PM

Some? No - MOST "photographers" are "jerks" in NYC. They are "jerks" because they don't actually work for any sort of legitimate media outlet but act like they are entitled.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:32 PM

peacebone.... people?!
where are you ppl hearing this at? does anyone know what that is at the end of fireworks is it like another case of lablacely dress and essplode, or just new words at the end like how they do chocolate girl

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:35 PM

fuck you lost spoilers...fuck you all

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:35 PM

1:32 speaks the truth. I can count the number of considerate show photographers on one hand. Most of them are assholes.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:36 PM

Jacob shows up in everyone's life. Syed gets shot. Locke discovers the loophole. Ben stabs Jacob. The blonde chick falls into the hole, then manually sets off the atomic bomb. 2010.

Posted by FOUND | May 14, 2009 1:42 PM

atomic bomb essplodes at the end.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:45 PM

1:32 and 36
thank you! this is like the second time this has happened to me at a AC show, the worst is they just cut you from your spot and then tell you it's for their "job" as if that makes it ok, if i got here early enough to get this spot and this ISN'T my job, then you should do the same if it means yours

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:46 PM

what in the world is lost about, an island right, is it even about the island anymore, or was it just forgotten like the younger sister from family matters, who we later found to be a weed fiend

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:48 PM

its all bob newhart's dream. really weird. cool though.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:53 PM

Lost is like Twin Peaks meets Desperate Housewives. You're not missing anything.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:54 PM

sleestack on planet of the apes

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:56 PM

i figured

KILL YOUR TV

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:57 PM

"they totally did a 15 second Peacebone tease during Fireworks jam"

lol sounds like Phish

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:58 PM

you give the photographers the power! they don't have a right to block anyone. yell at them, don't care about them like they don't about you. they aren't gonna deck you. they care more about their equipment than the money to be made from photographing the show. stand up for yourselves! my god...you are dick cheney's kids.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:59 PM

amazing show

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 1:59 PM

Good performance, terrible venue, way too many young kids getting high.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:00 PM

wait whats twin peaks?

always wondered how fireworks would do as a closer of a set
thought that was going happen yesterday, but then they hit me with leaf house and was very glad they did, actually although everyone is complaing about their stagnet play list, it seems to be shifting quite a bit from every show, there's but so much spontinaity that you can do when you have to gear up loads of memory from samples

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:03 PM

"wait whats twin peaks?"

?!????!!!!!!!!

get familiar!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:06 PM

Twin Peaks was David Lynch diluted for the masses...part of a long line of television shows (like The Prisoner) that, through quirky story lines, gives its viewers & followers a false sense of superiority over their fellow man/woman/child who don't follow the show. Lost continues said tradition, and it's followers are likewise vapid & delusional because they are mistaking corporate-sponsored product placement holders (ie - episodes) for "art".

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:09 PM

1:59
yeah but i kinda had to get elbowed for standing up for myself, he was a true idiot

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:10 PM

can someone help me witha song recognition

AC played this song as house music befreo their set (after groupers)

dounds 60ish, sung by a guy, very spare instrumetnation, uplfiting/sad

"one of these days when something something something, I'll look around and something , and breath clean air, and something something everlassssting"

thanks

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:13 PM

oh its mccartney

great song
great man

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:15 PM

so that's why they don't play bluish, i wonder how it would transition live, i find a lot of the good album songs don't do to well live and and the good live songs don't do to well on the album during this sampler period

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:15 PM

DOGGY

why don't they play doggy anymore? it was my awe point with their sampling style

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:17 PM

10:34 you're an idiot, why wouldn't you just see grouper in a small setting that fits her music, seeing her there would be a waste of time. would you really feel that much better about yourself, cuz you would look like a total idiot while doing this

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:21 PM

2:09- Thanks for pointing that out! I guess I tricked myself into thinking I sincerely liked Twin Peaks, how outrageous is that? You sure know a lot about false senses of superiority, fans of these sorts of shows could learn a lot from you about just being humble. Thanks again for the constructive comment, really made a positive impact.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:22 PM

No problem, 2:22...glad I could enlighten your otherwise bleak world. Try reading a book or going to see a film...and for christ's sake, stop listening to Animal Collective.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:25 PM

I've heard a lot about books, I just might do that! THANKS

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:27 PM

I really enjoyed Grouper, but her sound was a bit off. Her voice was drowned out for the most of her performance.

Posted by amphibian | May 14, 2009 2:28 PM

i don't know... but isn't that how it's suppose to sound? all live shows and audios i've heard before are just as distorted if not more, the base of the giant area though was a bit overwhelming

why do animal collective always have really drippy sleepy droney sounding girls open for them?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:38 PM

word miss the black dice gang gang dance days

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:48 PM

ANImehL COLLECTIVE

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:53 PM

we got it the first 100 times

comMEHnt OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:00 PM

MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH MEH

Posted by MEH | May 14, 2009 3:08 PM

Anyone see the girl up front faint during leaf house? Mind blown.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:09 PM

First off, nobody is going to hear any feels or jam songs until deakin returns because he is the main guitar responsible for all of those songs. That's why they are in sample mode. So give it up. Have you not realized that since he left all the older songs they play are from an era of mostly just avey and panda. I also can't believe people would shit on animal collective but talk about LOST like it's something more than somebody who can't write his way out of a hole in the ground so he chooses to make shit up. Like "fuck..umm how can I solve this characters problem..umm.. i know..I'll just make up some sort of time loop or black hole and have him sucked away until I can really figure out what to do." Next thing you know.."OMG did you see lost last night..what's that hole thing about or that wierd smoke monster?" like seriously? That's why everyone is confused..because the writers write confusingly for a lack of better ideas.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:11 PM

tl;dr

"animal collective sound shitty! I don't get why people like their 'music'"

"hey man they're actually really great"

"Did anyone see the finale of Lost?"

"What's nitrous?"

"What's Twin Peaks?"

"FOR REVEREND GREEN!!!"

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:11 PM

grouper was terrible

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:13 PM

Nick Zinner was there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:13 PM

Nick Zinner was on LOST.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:14 PM

"meh" is the mustachioed v-neck of words.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:14 PM

2:09, -- I bet your parents have a tough time tolerating you.

Posted by 2:09 is a loser. | May 14, 2009 3:15 PM

3:15 - had a nerve struck.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:17 PM

Nick Zinner's ability to write a decent song has been LOST.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:19 PM

the sister is the catcher in the rye

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:20 PM

Anyone know what lies in the shadow of the statue?!??!

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:22 PM

by far BEST show ive ever been too
they played all songs were played perfectly
sound was fine
they are a work of art

...and grouper SUCKS

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:22 PM

3:11
um yet i've heard them play grass, loch raven, and banshee beat they just reworked them... plus they played almost every strawberry jam song besides reverend green and winter wonderland during this sample stage which was a very heavy deakin riff laddened album

FAIL

lOST though i'm completely lost on

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:24 PM

3;09 no
what side?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:25 PM

@1:57 AM hahahaha we cannot let this hilarity pass by

"i figured

KILL YOUR TV

you get a lot more done in life that way (speaking from a once avid television watcher, i get A's in school now)"

funniest shit i have read all day

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:31 PM

When do brokenCYDE go on? I love those guys.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:37 PM

i do aim to please

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:37 PM

What happened to Deakin? I know he didn't play on Merriweather but did he quit A.C?

Posted by al | May 14, 2009 3:37 PM

did anyone capture the audio?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:43 PM

Deakin got LOST

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:50 PM

Who's Nick Zinner?

Posted by Deakin | May 14, 2009 3:53 PM

nah man deakin is still in the group i think he just was working on other stuff when it came time for that summer tour of 07, so they had to figure songs to play without him and got into samples. i think they consider there group to allow fluctuations if one or some want to do other things and as long as 2 or more are in it it's consider animal collective.
deakin is working on the visual album though (heavy riffs :> )

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:56 PM

“That which will save us all" lays in the shadow of the statue. whatever THAT means.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 3:58 PM

oh my goodness and they say animal collective fans sound like burn outs

what in the world are you LOST ppl talking about?!
sounds like a cluster fuck of a show

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 4:07 PM

Nick Zinner was David Lynch diluted for the masses

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 4:08 PM

Nick Zinner is the guy who fell in the hole and asploded the atomic bomb.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 4:13 PM

Nick Zinner won't fuck us over. He's Mr. November.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 4:17 PM

I'd rather laugh with Nick Zinner than cry with the saints. Nick Zinner is much more fun.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 4:19 PM

Animal Collective and Lost. What happened to entertainment?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 4:51 PM

I don't know, it's all LOST on me

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 5:14 PM

Grouper - What's up with her attitude? Both times in Philly and DC: She storms onstage and plops down on a chair, "plays" while hiding behind gear, glares menacingly at people in the audience, glares at the sound guy when the slightest bit of feedback comes through, glares at people in the back who clearly don't care (not surprisingly) and then storms off stage without a single word to the audience or sign of any sort of appreciation for being able to open on this tour...I hate musicians that act like that. Really seems like such a slap in the face to other bands that would probably be really excited to open on this tour.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 5:15 PM

Grouper fucking sucked

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 6:03 PM

can we get tacos for dinner joe?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 6:06 PM

lol

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 6:07 PM

did anyone record TBA's opening set?

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 6:08 PM

Animal Collective sucks and are lame.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 6:33 PM

Easily the worst sounding AC show I've seen (4 shows now over the past 5 years) , but really it can only be blamed on the venue. I wish I had the balls to not keep going back there every time an awesome group plays. And I wish the Merriweather backdrop wasn't cloth but actual blocks with pulsating lights on each droplets perimeter. That'd be much more effective.

Also, I apologize to anyone within a five foot radius of me last night for all the dancing and singing. I was pretty high.

Posted by @willbah | May 14, 2009 6:59 PM

i was at the dc animal collective show. amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 7:01 PM

Look if you hated Animal Collective now, just wait till they play more intimate venues later around the city. They are opening for TBA: http://www.myspace.com/tbamusicnyc

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 7:24 PM

Amazing show. I can't believe that all of the haters were actually there because the crowd seemed really into the music. The venue does suck, but I was able to get a good view of the stage by standing in the back by the bar (which also made it easier for me to get hammered). I can't wait for the Prospect Park show!

Posted by anonymous | May 14, 2009 8:28 PM

1:59 - I agree, but that just seems like a bad idea to get in a shoving match with someone carrying $7000 worth of camera equipment. I'm not trying to make my TV debut on the People's Court. Who do you think the photographer will blame when their camera/lens falls and smashes?

They are already acting like douchebags...so I can't even imagine the reaction when their pride and joy is destroyed.

How about we just ban SLRs from venues? Point and shoot only or....even better, no cameras AT ALL.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 8:30 PM

there needs to be better photographer/crowd etiquette at shows.

i was photographing last night, and whenever i felt that i might get in someone's way, i asked them if i could shoot for a song. anyone who wasn't a complete douche said yes, two dudes in the very front even let me hop the barricade.

conversely, if you see a photographer trying to get to the front to take photos, why not facilitate? others push up for absolutely no reason, photo-takers at least will have something meaningful to themselves, at least, if not shared with others.

douches will be douches.

Posted by r.a. | May 14, 2009 8:47 PM

get the rehashed "i h8 photographers" bullshit off the animal collective thread. how many times are we going to have this conversation? nerds.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 8:51 PM

i'd rather see a show at terminal 5 than hammerstein. hammerstein should be torn down, set aflame, and then you can pay a buck towards renovation to piss on the fire.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:26 PM

8:51 is obviously one of the aforementioned douchebag photographers in question. let's stone him to death.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 11:33 PM

most intriguing conversation of the night

aggravated curly: "hey man get out of the way!"
ginger kid with a cybershot: "man, I'm a photographer for a blog."
curly: "sick man, which one?"
ginger: "I can't even tell you, its too important."
curly: "right. fuck you."
ginger: "pff, I'm out of here."

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2009 12:25 AM

just respect one another. that is all.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2009 1:10 AM

@ 5:15.

Being a performer of music is an embarrassing thing. It is a totally bankrupt form of expression, it has lost all semblance of authenticity. This doesn't mean, of course, that there isn't great music being made and that there isn't a desire for this music to be played live, but some people don't want to go out there with their dick in one hand and a measuring stick in another. In other words, I respect Grouper's anti-performativity if that is how she wants her music to come across. Its nothing new. Look at Sunn0))), or Spacemen 3, or My Bloody Valentine or whatever.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2009 8:55 AM

i heard the peacebone tease / saw the "epic fight" outside!!!! AWWWEEESOME!!!!

Posted by freeman | May 15, 2009 9:29 AM

@ 8:55.

Being a pilot of aircrafts is an embarrassing thing. It is a totally bankrupt form of travel, it has lost all semblance of authenticity. This doesn't mean, of course, that there isn't great flying being done and that there isn't a desire for this flying to be offered commercially, but some people don't want to go out there with their flight yoke in one hand and a technical manual in another. In other words, I respect the pilot's anti-flying if that is how she wants her flying to come across. Its nothing new. Look at the Hindenburg, various hot air balloon disasters over the years, or "the day the music died" or whatever.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2009 10:07 AM

photographers die!
i really don't need you in my life
the pictures i take with my digital camera suffices enough for me, do really need to take pictures for ppl who aren't there? like if you wanna see the band then go see them, seeing them in pictures only makes it worst
i hate photographers!

p.s. to 8:47 why did you need to get out of the barricaded area to take pictures... isn't that area for picture taking? next time give one of those kids your credentials and just switch places
tard

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2009 10:29 AM

@ 10:07

To compare music performance to flying a plane I think is a flawed analogy, seeing as how the appreciation of something such as a performance is pretty subjective, as opposed to being on a plane that is about to crash into the ocean because of an "anti-flying" pilot.

Its fine that someone else is turned off by it, but at least there is the possibility for a different perspective and that maybe that will allow someone to look at it differently -- just trying to challenge a pretty boring perspective on music performance that entails that you have to feign this sense of catharsis or whatever!

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2009 11:35 AM

855 - I see your point, but even still - she is the opener, not the headliner. Acting like that will only translate poorly to an uninformed audience of this size - so I can't help but wonder why exactly she gets the privilege of playing on this tour? Better to keep someone like this to smaller venues.

Also - the only "boring" thing here is her "performance". Anyone will tell you that you don't need to be a cocky asshole to put on a good show - but normally you should try and show some type of passion/love for your music....and I got zero of that from Grouper.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2009 1:41 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2009 1:48 PM

what is that red thing in dave's hands?

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2009 2:44 PM

SP 505

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2009 4:45 PM

Pretty sure it's an electric guitar with red paint.

Posted by Anonymous | May 15, 2009 4:54 PM

no, i think it's a synth made to look like a guitar. they just stand there and bob their heads, right? and they suck, too, right?

or maybe they were just fucking awesome (and the fight outside afterwards made it even better!!!)

Posted by freeman | May 18, 2009 3:42 PM

you blame grouper girl for being surly?
the sound for her set SUCKED. you couldnt
hear her vocals at all.
And the entire crowd was chatting during her set.
i dont blame her for not trying to be amicable during that.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 5:17 PM

"by far BEST show ive ever been too
they played all songs were played perfectly
sound was fine
they are a work of art
...and grouper SUCKS"

no, your mom sucks cock.

Posted by Anonymous | September 12, 2013 6:48 AM