Posted in music | venues on May 28, 2009

Inside Beauty Bar Brooklyn (L Mag)
Beauty Bar Brooklyn

Manhattan cocktail hub Beauty Bar is unveiling its Brooklyn location this weekend, with opening parties on Friday, May 29th and Saturday, May 30th. Located at 921 Broadway in Bushwick/Bed-Stuy, the bar is only about a block from the Market Hotel and down the street from Goodbye Blue Monday.

Full details on this weekend's opening, with RSVP info and the music/DJs lineup, below...

Beauty Bar Brooklyn

RSVP at greenshoelace.com/beautybar

921 Broadway, Brooklyn.
Steps away from the Broadway/Myrtle stop on the JMZ subway line.

FRIDAY, MAY 29, 2009

9.00pm - 4.00am
With hosted bar courtesy of THREE OLIVES VODKA from 9.00-10.00pm

Nate Mars (Complex Dubz)
DJ Maggie Lauten (Himanshu from Das Racist)
Spiderfang

Tony Castles
Bottle Up and Go
Gordon Voidwell
Finger on the Pulse DJs
Cobra Krames
Napolean

I'll be the first to say, this is the last good year of Bushwick.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 9:55 AM

Bushwick is so 1977.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 9:59 AM

1977 was the last good year of Bushwick.

That summer ruled!

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 10:00 AM

As the snow flies
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin'
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghetto
And his mama cries
'cause if there's one thing that she don't need
it's another hungry mouth to feed
In the ghetto

People, don't you understand
the child needs a helping hand
or he'll grow to be an angry young man some day
Take a look at you and me,
are we too blind to see,
do we simply turn our heads
and look the other way

Well the world turns
and a hungry little boy with a runny nose
plays in the street as the cold wind blows
In the ghetto

And his hunger burns
so he starts to roam the streets at night
and he learns how to steal
and he learns how to fight
In the ghetto

Then one night in desperation
a young man breaks away
He buys a gun, steals a car,
tries to run, but he don't get far
And his mama cries

As a crowd gathers 'round an angry young man
face down on the street with a gun in his hand
In the ghetto

As her young man dies,
on a cold and gray Chicago mornin',
another little baby child is born
In the ghetto

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 10:07 AM

The McDonalds, Gaps and Stuckbucks or bars.The start of a new hipster franchise. Three beauty bars now. Wheres the fouth going to be?

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 10:08 AM

Ikea

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 10:35 AM

this is the 7th beauty bar dog (nyc, sf, la, sd, austin and las vegas)

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 10:38 AM

On Bushwick:

My neighborhood was better before all of these stores showed up. Or at least that's what I tell people. Secretly though, I am glad that the neighborhood is getting better. Risking getting mugged every day in order to prove my hipster cred was getting tiresome. Now I can claim to be one of the "pioneers" of this neighborhood while sipping my latte from the convenience & safety of a Starbucks. Thanks, mom & dad.

Thus spoke Hipsterthustra.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 10:48 AM

There's not even a Starbucks in Williamsburg yet.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 11:05 AM

you morons on the internet don't know anything about Bushwick, so why you frontin?

your fear of "crime" is hilarious. more people get mugged in Williamsburg than along Broadway.

it only proves the point: the commenters on Brooklyn Vegan are a bunch of out-of-town high school kids and Manhattan style protoyuppies who are terrified to leave their cubicles.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 11:08 AM

Fear of Bushwick crime hilarious and unfounded?

It doesn't take much more than a stroll down Broadway to see that there are still remnants thirty plus years later of the devastation of the 1970's

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 11:21 AM

have your little field day pointing fingers and giggling at what you call a "ghetto."

you're a sheltered little bundle of precious rich kid cargo, we get it!

Bushwick's a beautiful neighborhood (I'm so looking forward to reading all of you know-nothings school me on how "ugly" you think it is). I'm glad bars are opening, even if I'd prefer something that wasn't a chain.

But really this Beauty Bar only follows the bars that have always been in that part of the neighborhood: Gotham City Lounge, Angels's Lounge, Mango's Tropical, Platinum Lounge, Goodbye Blue Monday, etc.

Lastly, who gives a shit what any of you think about the neighborhood we live in?

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 11:23 AM

that's true of the entire city of New York, 11:21

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 11:24 AM

Crime or no crime, Bushwick looks like downtown Beirut. Who wants to go drinking in a ghetto?

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 11:24 AM

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 11:27 AM

Beauty Bar?? tha fuck!

Posted by R08 | May 28, 2009 11:29 AM

and it begins.... how do you think the LES and the East Village and Williamsburg looked 10 or 20 years ago, when they were relevant incubators for music and art?

I'm no cheerleader for gentrification, but I also know that there are limited options for where interesting art and music and turned on people can be found, and are flourishing. The necessity of such a cultural neighborhood to exist and incubate good ideas and art is just as valid as any gripe about "hipsters" or "gentrification." That place, right now, is Bushwick, Brooklyn.

I don't know why any of you are here in New York, but I'm here to experience new culture while it's happening, and to contribute to it. Bushwick is currently the neighborhood for that and will be for many years. Get over it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 11:33 AM

I lived in Bushwick a few years ago. My apartment was broke into once. My car got broken into three times in as many months, and then someone set it on fire.

You can keep your "edgy" neighborhood. I'd rather not fear for my life & belongings every moment of every day.

Posted by Greenpointonian | May 28, 2009 11:39 AM

A Beauty Bar is a particularly phony development in what Bushwick has to offer, but kudos to the Beauty Bar people for finding a way to marginally up their cool points in the one town (New York City) where the brand isn't seen as very cool.

If you don't know already, people in Austin and LA and Las Vegas, etc, all hold their Beauty Bars in higher esteem than we do here, where it's basically a bridge and tunnel haunt.

There are so few options out there in Bushwick, the hipsters of Bushwick will grit their teeth and go there, and will tacitly be forced into revisiting a cheesy chain they wrote off on 14th St 10 years ago.

It's a pretty smart move for the Beauty Bar people to make.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 11:41 AM

hipsters are, at heart & by and to a large degree, well-to-do white people from the suburbs. the "edgy, gritty urban-dweller" schtick is exactly that...an act. as much as they might decry these chains entering their neighborhood, ("boo gentrification"), they are all breathing a sigh of relief and will gladly go to these establishments, repeatedly and as often as possible.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 11:45 AM

11:33 is right, everyone else is wrong.
ps: if you consider yourself an "artist" you better love the hipsters because they are the only ones with the taste and disposable income to consume art. Think of them as your customers, when your scholarship runs out.

Posted by Unanymous | May 28, 2009 11:58 AM

11:45: YOU TOO, ARE A HIPSTER

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 12:08 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 12:21 PM

sounds like 12:21 thinks he likes to "get people riled up."

oh the scandalous things you say, and the buttons you push! you're so neato, 12:21!

try harder next time, you sophomore college nerd. how's that ayn rand collection coming along? the fountainhead really bogs down in the middle, am I right?

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 12:28 PM

gotta say, that beauty bar grand opening flyer is TERRIBLE.

is it 1996 again?

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 12:33 PM

omg i LOVE beauty bar. so psyched! can't wait!

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 12:48 PM

^^^^ 12:48 - first person to show appreciation thus far. I hope the bar owners aren't reading this.

I'm 22 and have only been living in Bushwick a few months now- when I first moved here (goodbye east village), my parents were pretty concerned for my safety. My dad grew up and still works in BK, and Bushwick was notorious in his day - Bushwick is burning! he said, that's what he remembered. Nobody wanted to be close to the place. Needless to say, he wasn't too enthused with my choice. When he came around to see my new place (area off Dekalb L), his tune changed. Young mexican families with many children occupied the streets and stoops. A few younger white folk like myself who couldn't afford Manhattan or, er, Williamsburg. Clean store fronts with thriving business. Bushwick has come a long way in the past 10 years. And you can call it gentrification, if you want, but the people here are HAPPIER, and the neighborhood is finally going to get a little respect.

As far as Beauty Bar goes, I doubt I'll go more than the one curious-to-see-whats-new time. But at least the owners are courageous enough to open shop here. Their venture will pay off eventually as the neighborhood rises.

I heart Bushwick.

Posted by @willbah | May 28, 2009 1:24 PM

If I'm not mistaken, would you really classify the Myrtle stop as Bushwick? I always considered it to be 'South Williamsburg'?

and yeah, this announcement is kinda of lame. it will only attract more meat-head and asian lamos from Queens away from Bedford.

Posted by Pdoodeee | May 28, 2009 1:27 PM

I liked Beauty Bar when you actually dance in their back room. Don't know why they decided to stop that, but every time I've been there in the last year and a half it was either closed or private event back there.

And also I've seen pretty rude bar service from them: "You know you are supposed to tip me, right?" (Said to my Puerto Rican friend before the drink was poured! The worst thing is that he actually then DID tip her.)

Hopefully the Bushwick location will be better.

Posted by Aaron | May 28, 2009 1:39 PM

hahahahahaha "'south' williamsburg"

really, are you fucking kidding me?

Posted by isfet | May 28, 2009 1:43 PM

"If y'all really want some street cred, move to East New York. Let me know how it goes."

Haha - seriously. City Line. Brownsville. So many other places I would mention before Bushwick.

Also - pretty sure anything listed as "South Williamsburg" would be where the street numbers are listed as "S" and well, actually located in Williamsburg.

Posted by Greenpoint = North Williamsburg | May 28, 2009 1:56 PM

the rich kids in the hungry neiborhoods all looking for something to eat.

Posted by ssg | May 28, 2009 2:05 PM

11:27 & 1:56, true dat

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 2:21 PM

it's east of williamsburg, not south of it

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 2:29 PM

who the fck cares...you're all fcking losers.

hipster this, blipster that...go fck yourselves. what the crap does it matter where someone lives and why should they have to justify it.

you're all pretentious fcks...

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 2:37 PM

this is really gonna spruce up bushwick heights

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 2:40 PM

LOL @ "Bushwick Heights"!

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 2:48 PM

No but seriously, Woodside, Queens is really on the up and up.

Posted by Andrew | May 28, 2009 3:15 PM

im moving to Dyker Heights

Posted by zinger | May 28, 2009 3:16 PM

This is a mugger's paradise!

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 3:24 PM

all this talk about gentrification and nobody is talking about how this entire lineup sucks

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 4:06 PM

all this talk about gentrification is making me horny

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 4:11 PM

I agree with 4:06. Um hello, this lineup is worse than being mugged in Bushwick.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 4:12 PM

you guys are a bunch of fags for ridiculing me for confusing Myrtle for S. Williamsburg. come on ppl, by a few blocks? what a bunch of prick fags you are.

Posted by Pdoodee | May 28, 2009 4:20 PM

it's like a mile and a half away, jackass

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 4:22 PM

420 is right!! I confused Bed-Stuy for S. Brooklyn Heights once and everyone got all homosexual on me.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 5:04 PM

Hey, lets all just fu** and get it over with. Yeah honey, I want some Naughty Sauce.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 5:55 PM

12:21pm- "Uh oh, sounds like someone got priced out of nicer neighborhoods! Next time, study harder in college."

^^ that's the kind of guy who gets thrown out of a bar for grabbing a girl's ass and then yells at the security guard "I MAKE MORE IN A DAY, THAN YOU MAKE IN A MONTH... FUCK YOU!"

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 5:55 PM

4:20 I think maybe you mistook Marcy stop for the Myrtle stop on the J. Also, as a meathead from Queens, I take offense to your first comment. So: Fuck you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 6:07 PM

where is this brooklyn u speak of?

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 6:29 PM

can we stop aggrandizing fringe neighborhoods as some kinds of bastions of art and culture? williamsburg and bushwick are popular because they are cheap and close to manhattan. there wasn't some kind of great art scene that made people move there, it was the cheap rents and relative safety.

the only reason any of you idiots care about bushwick is because it borders williamsburg, and the same goes for why you crackers find it inhabitable. the williamsburg whitewash has been extended.

above posters are right. hipsters will never take root in brownsville or east new york because there ain't a hint of whitey there. too scared. it's too foreign. etc. of course all you unicorn lovers will give some other BS reason, but face facts.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 7:18 PM

there are unicorns in bushwick? sweet!

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 7:30 PM

Let us all sip from the cup of naughty sauce and be at peace

Posted by hey zeus | May 28, 2009 7:33 PM

if you think bushwick is a terrifying ghetto, i would venture to say you have never seen an actual ghetto.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 7:37 PM

DON'T EVEN SAY ANYTHING...CAUSE I KNOW I'VE SEEN AT LEAST HALF OF YOU CLOWNS HAVING THE TIME OF YOUR LIFE AT BB WHEN KIDS SOULWAX REMIX COMES ON...AND IF NOT, MAYBE YOU SHOULD TAKE THE STICK OUT OF YOUR ASS AND COME OUT. HAR HAR HAR.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 8:15 PM

^
Todd P.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 8:31 PM

wow, I'd love to go there and watch all the boys touch eachother's penises, sign me up for some of that stat!

NOT!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 8:45 PM

Pdoodeee - "asian lamos from queens" can live anywhere in new york they want to. they're natives. go back wherever you came from.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 10:54 PM

BuWi

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 11:56 PM

11:23 "Bushwick's a beautiful neighborhood"

Yeah, maybe if you grew up in a ghetto even more ghetto than Bushwick.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 12:01 AM

Voidwell. Gordon Voidwell.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 11:28 AM

douches galore..

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 1:06 PM

SICKKKKK

Posted by Stoked | May 29, 2009 6:45 PM

"asian lamos from Queens"

Wow. Hip-postured dismissal of a working class borough and borderline racism rolled into one phrase. Did you vote Obama with those credentials, or were you too busy snorting lines at McKibbin loft parties to change your voter registration from Shitstain, Ohio?

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 7:18 PM

it was South Shitstain

which borders Cleveland Heights

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 7:45 AM

agreed 3:15...Woodside, Queens is really "keeping it real"...the Belfast ghetto is rough!

Posted by hipster poseur | May 30, 2009 11:54 AM

MR KIWI !!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 1, 2009 7:44 AM

o\w\\\

Posted by Anonymous | June 4, 2009 3:33 AM

South Williamsburg?? the Myrtle stop DEFINITELY is Bushwick.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 2:20 AM

nope. youre definitely wrong. people DO move to Bushwick because of the art and music there, NOT because of the other reasons you stated.

also, hipsters will definitely be living in East New York and Brownsville soon. just give it time. oh, and Canarsie.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2009 2:30 AM

Geez, don't all "try" so hard to not be mainstream will ya? The effort some of you put in to "hate" something that you don't see as meaningful or cool is sickening. Where is the tolerance?

Posted by Storage Units | December 19, 2010 1:57 PM

One more thing! Bushwick is without a doubt one of the more disgusting ghettos on the entire East Coast.

Posted by Self Storage | March 20, 2011 7:06 PM