Posted in music | pictures on May 18, 2009

words by Andrew Frisicano, photos by Tim Griffin

Dan Deacon

Dan Deacon, wearing an arm sling because of a dislocated shoulder, played three shows in NYC over the weekend (3/16 & 3/17). The first was a performance at 979 Broadway Backyard, an open lot in Bushwick, Brooklyn under the M train. The spacious spot was a mixture of rocky terrain, freshly cut grass and refuse-laced rubble. Amazingly, even with stage diving through most of the show and Dan Deacon's constant dancing instructions that sent people running across the space, there weren't any (more) major injuries (that I know of) from falling on the dark, uneven ground.

Acoustically, Deacon and the band sounded much better than at their Brooklyn Masonic Temple performance last December (didn't see NYU in April). "The ensemble," as Deacon referred to his band throughout the night, played clearly, with a sound that added nuance to Deacon's usual overblown-synth sound.

Dan Deacon stood on stage all set and filled the space between songs with instructions for dancing, rants about elves, warnings about stavediving (particularly after someone knocked his gear on to the front row) and appreciation to the neighborhood. The heavy crowd participation (singing, making people-bridges, dancing in a circle) came off as genuine and matched the spirit of the ad hoc venue (which I'm sure took a lot of cooperation to get together), its summer-fest vibe and the energetic crowd.

Teeth Mountain and Future Islands opened the show. One commenter writes that "homosexuals were an unannounced special guest, right at 6:15."

The second and third Dan Deacon shows of the weekend were at the Bowery Ballroom on Saturday, March 16th. How were they? On Sunday he played the 9:30 Club in DC, and like they did for Animal Collective, NPR recorded and is streaming the whole show.

More pictures from the Friday show with all tour dates from Dan Deacon's upcoming European tour, below...

Dan Deacon

Dan Deacon waving to a subway train

Dan Deacon - 2009 Tour Dates
Fri 29-May-09 Spain Barcelona Primavera Sound
Sat 30-May-09 Portugal Porto Multidisciplinary Art Festival
Sun 31-May-09 France Paris Villette Sonique Festival
Tue 02-Jun-09 UK Manchester Club Academy*
Wed 03-Jun-09 Ireland Dublin Andrews Place*
Fri 05-Jun-09 UK London ULU^
Sat 06-Jun-09 France Cherbourg Terra Trema
Sun 07-Jun-09 Belgium Brussels Botanique - Orangerie
Sun 08-Jun-09 Amsterdam NL Paradiso (solo show)

to the girl with the bangs and pitch nose, pic 8 or 9, i love you. great show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 10:50 AM

Oh my lord.

That dude leaning against the wall with his beverage looks like he's in an advertisement for switchblades.

Posted by Sacred Absolute Hipster Cow | May 18, 2009 10:51 AM

no mention of the art installations? they were good!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 10:52 AM

This looks like it was a lot of fun. Kinda bummed I didn't go. That being said, it's also a smorgasbord of Look At This Fucking Hipster photos.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 10:53 AM

stalker shots!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 10:53 AM

No Beans sightings?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:03 AM

So...I finally know what a gathering of hipsters looks like. Great photos too.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:03 AM

this show was hardly just hipsters.

there were people from the neighborhood, older couples, young kids, as well as the kind of folks you guys call hipsters (ie, yourselves, but cooler).

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:03 AM

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:05 AM

I wanted to go see Future Islands. I should've headed over there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:08 AM

"this place has the potential to be the next big thing venue. it was seriously awesome, and the sound was phenomenal."

Everyone say Hello to one of Todd P's interns.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:16 AM

no, it's a legitimate feeling. this place was really cool for seeing bands.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:18 AM

whoever took these shots, I KNOW WHO YOU ARE

you god me

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:19 AM

pretty sure Todd hasn't had any interns in like a year, bub. I'm a regular and I know these things, but you're a troll and you don't know shit. I can vouch, that show was pretty fuckin great. more should happen there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:25 AM

First Bowery show was awesome, lots of energy and the whole crowd was really into it. I think the whole room busted a nut during Crystal Cat.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:29 AM

when that train swung by.... BEAUTIFUL

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:30 AM

This looks like it was a lot of fun, too bad I paid too much money to go to the NY Photo Festival's lame gala and afterparty.

Posted by Aaron | May 18, 2009 11:33 AM

Great photos. neat place

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:37 AM

I saw Homosexuals play. they went on like 20 mins after the doors opened. Fiasco is his back up band now, and he talked a bunch of shit about his old band.

show went really smooth and on time, except that teeth mountain took forever to set up. The organizers kept it pretty clockwork anyway though, Dan and the Ensemble played for at least an hour.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:45 AM

"the sound was phenomenal"

I wasn't there, but come on now! The sound at outdoor venues is always horrible, even in professionally designed venues with multimillion dollar sound systems, which I am sure this venue didn't have. Add to that concrete walls for the sound to reflect off of, and a train literally going overhead.

Don't get me wrong...it's great that you enjoyed yourself and all...but venturing into the land of ignorant hyperbole kind of diminishes any credence your comment might have had.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:52 AM

far better show on Saturday than at the Masonic Temple. Sounded better, everyone was in sync, and Future Islands killed it...for like 20 people. Tragically I missed Teeth Mountain.

Posted by Eric P | May 18, 2009 11:55 AM

To the guy in the blue shirt and glasses sitting by the fence with a beer in your hand and the camera strapped to your wrist: I want to have your abortion.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:59 AM

11:59 - Kari Ferrell, ladies and gentlemen.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 12:01 PM

11:52, actually the sound at this show was genuinely phenomenal. ask anyone who was there, or anyone from any of the bands. it sounded great, don't know how or why, but it did.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 12:04 PM

It was actually shocking how good the sound was out there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 12:05 PM

I'd hit it

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 12:06 PM

haha, that girl in pic 7 is like 16 years old!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 12:10 PM

11:59 - Sorry to break it to you but he's probably gay. He's not even trying to look at those nice legs next to him. In fact he looks repulsed.

Posted by Gay Dar | May 18, 2009 12:28 PM

An excellent evening!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 12:40 PM

get a new shirt deacon

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 12:58 PM

12:28 - LOL, dude, trust me, he's the opposite of gay. He's actually my friend and I'm just busting his chops.

And "I want to have your abortion" was a line that that Frank Black's first wife used on him, later recycled in "Fight Club".

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 1:04 PM

11:52-THANK YOU!!!. Well said and totally correct. Unfortunately though, saying something like that in this thread with the folks who went to this show is basically kicking against the pricks. It's an argument you can't win.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 1:05 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 1:16 PM

the early bowery show saturday was fucking crazy - the whole place was into it.

too bad the bowery told people the wrong set times so most people showed up late - bowery was telling people dan deacon at 10 (which usually means 1015 even) when he actually went on at 945

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 1:23 PM

"The sound was great for an outdoor venue. Better than, for example, Masonic Temple's acoustics... "

Way to set the bar real high. I mean for real, how did the sound compare to Terminal Shithole?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 1:34 PM

11:52 - "I wasn't there, but come on now!"
1:05 - "I was at this place last year..."

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 1:34 PM

what a blast this was. when's the next show here?

Posted by queefah | May 18, 2009 1:36 PM

Better sound than the Animal Collective show @ Terminal Five IMHO

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 1:43 PM

1:34 - "You sure are going out of your way to diss the sound of a show you both didn't go to."

And you're sure going out of your way to continue arguing that a show had "phenomenal sound" when, judging from the equipment & physics of the layout alone, makes that an impossibility. You don't need to drive a car with square wheels to know that it's going to drive like shit compared to a car with round wheels. I'm sure that in your MP3-encoded, iPhone with earbuds, blippy-bloopy electronic music listening world, the sound was probably adequate...perhaps even good...but that's a far cry from claiming that something was objectively "phenomenal". So stop with the false hype, it's just making your opinion seem even less valid with each post.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 2:06 PM

The sound was better than the sound on my iMac. Ergo, this is the best place to see a show on the planet. If you disagree then you're a hater. And fat. And live in your parent's basement. You're not allowed to have a different opinion than mine, even if yours is based on science, common sense & experience in the sound industry and mine is based merely upon the amount of Special K and Colt 45 I had that night. You're still wrong, and I am right. So there.

Posted by 19yearoldhipster | May 18, 2009 2:13 PM

why would anyone argue at length negatively about something they didn't go to?

accept it dude, you weren't there you don't know anything at all about it.

also, the audience was of every age imaginable, lots of gray heads, not that many underagers. once again, gotta say: you weren't there, you have no idea.

it's not a good look to shit talk shows you didn't attend. period. the end.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 2:13 PM

2:06 and 2:13.

simple rule, if you weren't there, shut the fuck up about it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 2:17 PM

well this thread proves it. doesn't matter how good the sound is at a given Todd P show, even when it's actually great... someone will still shit talk it, even if they weren't there, because there are people that just can't stand to hear anything positive about his shows.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 2:22 PM

Hah I love that "period. the end." as if this loser decides when something is over.

Hey douche, it's not a good look to shit talk and lie period. And unfortunately for you, the pictures don't lie. What do you see in all the many pictures of the crowd. DO you see a lot of what you call "grey heads"? Or do you mostly see young kids and hipster idiots. I say the latter.

And also, unless this venue has changed drastically(which of course it has not) and unless Todd has majorly upgraded his system(which he has not) then i can easily say from having been to this venue before and having been to a number of Todd P parties what it sounded like.

So shut the fuck up. period. the end

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 2:22 PM

you weren't there dude, you are a belligerent jack ass.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 2:24 PM

2:06 - 'And you're sure going out of your way to continue arguing that a show had "phenomenal sound"... '

No, I was just going out of my way to point out how stupid you sound. I wasn't the guy saying this show had phenomenal sound because I wasn't there either. If I had gone, maybe I would have an opinion. Sure didn't stop you, though.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 2:28 PM

and what if I went and wasn't impressed with the sound? would my opinion be allowed then? or would I still have to shut the fuck up period the end because I don't agree with you?

There are really only two options here: Either you're deliberately lying about the sound quality in order to falsely hype up Todd P's shows in the future. Or you really have no idea what "phenomenal sound quality" really is, in which case I can excuse your ignorance on the topic, but not your belligerence.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 2:29 PM

Really, there's only one option: Never give up. NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY OPINION DESTROYS ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COWER BEFORE MY OPINION BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 2:38 PM

"simple rule, if you weren't there, shut the fuck up about it."

It's anything but that simple. Like I said, I don't need to drive a car with square wheels to know that it's not going to drive as nicely as a car with round wheels. That's simple physics. Sound is also simple physics. And I can tell from looking at the set up and location that there is no way on god's green earth that the sound was phenomenal, as you keep claiming.

As long as you keep spouting off b.s., I'm going to keep calling you on it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 2:38 PM

Okay. you win. the sound sucked. happy?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 2:41 PM

were the black teens with clipboards in full effect, as the pic above would seem to suggest?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 2:47 PM

sounded great!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 3:00 PM

^^^racist imo

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 3:07 PM

2:38 (and all your the other time stamps).

every big thread needs its crazzzzeeeee idiot, and you're this one's!!! U R awesome! could you pleaze mc my kids' birthday party?? the clown canceled.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 3:13 PM

these pictures totally testify to it, this was an excellent night. interesting that the predictable haters here actually admit that they weren't even there, but that's BV commenters for you. it was a great show, everybody performed well, weather was great, sounded really good.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 3:30 PM

i'm with 3:07. the kid obviously got all that money from his trust fund, duh

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 3:39 PM

these pictures totally testify to it, this was at night. interesting that the predictable hipsters here actually admit that they know nothing about acoustics, but that's BV commenters for you. it was a great show, everybody performed well, weather was great, sounded "phenomenal" for an outdoor venue surrounded by concrete walls, a train overhead and an amateur sound system.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 3:41 PM

Man, you 19 year old hipsters are greyheads.

I chill exclusively with infants. They are so much realer.

Posted by Sacred Absolute Hipster Cow | May 18, 2009 3:46 PM

3:13 - How does pointing out that, from the point of view of physics & psycho-acoustics, that the sound could not possibly have been "phenomenal" make me "crazy"? Wanna know what's crazy? Someone claiming that an outdoor venue under a bridge in Bushwick had "phenomenal sound". I can't wait for your next genius thesis.

Oh...but I wasn't there, so I can't have an opinion...just like all of those scientists who have theories about dinosaurs and the big bang.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 3:52 PM

awesome show. loved the art. got a sweet gigposter.

Posted by 406ish | May 18, 2009 4:01 PM

people who don't go to things don't get to pass judgment, common sense. it's because they're uninformed. 3:41 has admitted several times in his dozens of other posts that he wasn't even at this show.

I sure wish I had his job, seems like he just gets to sit around on his flabby ass looking at the internet and talkin bullshit about stuff he don't know squat about, all the livelong day. Most of us have other things to do with our time, places to be, people to see, but not this guy. He just keeps goin and goin and goin, the energizer bunny of know nothing hater types.

it's really a shame how yr woman ran off and left ya, how you got laid off from the astroturf factory, how Todd P ran over your best dog cooter. but you gotta get up offa that couch, put on some pants, take a break from masturbating furiously and obsessively refreshing the Brooklyn Vegan page for one afternoon, and realize that your shitty mood ain't nodoby's problem but your own. all this hatefilled typing on your sweaty sticky crumb covered keyboard isn't going to make you any happier. Rihanna said it, you gotta live yr life, it's a beautiful day, go out there and get the summer started.

Insisting over and over again that the sound sucked at a show you didn't even go isn't exactly a sign of a healthy mind.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:06 PM

Yeah 4:06 but posting some rambling,long winded, nonsensical rant is a clear sign of a level headed person with a terribly busy life.

Clown

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:19 PM

did anyone else notice how phenomenal the sound was?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:22 PM

4:06 - This insistence that someone need to witness something firsthand in order to have an opinion of it is itself a fallacy. And, I might add, one upon which you are being a HUGE hypocrite, since you are passing judgement on aspects of my personal life which you have absolutely no first hand knowledge of.

If you want to keep insisting that this show had the best sound on the planet, that's fine. You're wrong, but it's your right to be wrong if you want to. But personally attacking people (people who may actually even have a degree of expertise in this area and who know what they're talking about) who hold a different opinion than you is really childish.

This has nothing to do with talking smack about Todd P. I think Todd's a great guy and offers a very valuable service to the NY music community. What this has to do with is foolish, hyperbolic claims from people who don't know what "phenomenal" sound really is who then attack anyone who claims otherwise. Grow up.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:28 PM

the sound at this show was so phenomenal that i immediately went home and stabbed my eardrums because i knew that this was as good as music could ever possibly get, and that it was all going to just go downhill from here for the rest of my life. god damn...that was some good sound!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:31 PM

phenoMEHnal sound

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:31 PM

YOU WEREN'T AT THIS SHOW.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHETHER THE SOUND WAS GOOD GREAT OR TERRIBLE, BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T AT THIS SHOW.

OUTDOORS DOESN'T AUTOMATICALLY EQUAL BAD SOUND, YOU JUST MADE THAT UP AND KEEP REPEATING IT. DOESN'T EVEN MATTER, BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T AT THIS SHOW.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:35 PM

All ya'll motherfuckers need to get laid. END OF DISCOURSE.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:38 PM

is it so hard to imagine that *GASP* it might have sounded pretty fuckin good at this particular show? is that so much to claim? sounds plausible to me, but what do I know? I'm just someone who was there, with ears, and who's been to hundreds of other shows.

in coming to a conclusion about whether it sounded good at this show, or not, I'm probably going to side with the other people who were, you know, actually there *AT* this show. Like myself, for instance.

Call me a stickler, but I don't usually consider opinions on what something sounded like from people who didn't hear it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:43 PM

this thread really reminds me of the great daft punk wars of 2007, when someone said coney island was "best show of the year" and some other guy kept telling him that the hyperbole needed to stop over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

dude, did hyperbole kill your dad?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:45 PM

Actually, let me give an example for the idiots which might put this to rest.

The Vaselines played last night at Bowery Ballroom. Now I did not go to the show but if anyone who did made a comment that the show sounded incredible, do you really think there would be any comments from people saying something along the lines of "oh stop being way over the top" or "ridiculous comment"

Of course not because everyone knows the sound at that place is amazing. Now i didn't have to be at The Vaselines to know it probably sounded great because I have been to the venue before plus i know the system they have set up there.

And to quiet down you twerps who think its all a vendetta against Todd P. If Todd had presented a show of his usual bands at Bowery Ballroom, again no one would question if someone said it sounded fantastic.

So someone having been to this outdoor venue before and having been to Todd's parties before knowing he uses the same damn system at every show could easily have an idea of how it all went down the other night.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:49 PM

4:28 - drop it. let the fools think that this show was god's gift to the human ear. what does it matter anyway? in a few years they'll all be dead from overdoses or living in the suburbs and working as mortgage brokers. you'll have the last laugh.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:52 PM

Maybe it has to do with where you stand. Like if you were front and center it sounded pretty rad, and if you weren't there it sounded like ass.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:53 PM

y'all need to calm the fuck down. backyard in bushwick is fun. if you're a sound cunt, then fuck off. i was there and the sound was great, again, it's all about where you stand. stop wearing those tight jeans because your balls needs to be free!

Posted by i am from long island and i am better than you | May 18, 2009 4:54 PM

"OUTDOORS DOESN'T AUTOMATICALLY EQUAL BAD SOUND, YOU JUST MADE THAT UP AND KEEP REPEATING IT."

You wouldn't be able to find a single sound engineer who would agree with you. BUT KEEP YELLING IN ALL CAPS 'CAUSE IT DEFINITELY MAKES YOU SEEM LIKE A SERIOUS PERSON!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:02 PM

Best. Sound. Ever.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:11 PM

4:49 - Stop being rational. Rational people are just passive aggressive Todd P haters.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:13 PM

fucking hipster douches. oh and yea, of course you would hit it. she is like 15 years old! that's all you can get 15 year old ass. ha!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:16 PM

wait, todd p only has one sound system that he uses for all of his shows? can anyone confirm this? and how old is this system? 'cause if it's the same one that's been used at the handful of todd p shows that i've been to over the past year, then the people claiming that the sound was the shit are even bigger morons that they've already made themselves sound like, 'cause that system sucks!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:16 PM

"Now i didn't have to be at The Vaselines to know it probably sounded great because I have been to the venue before plus i know the system they have set up there."

"And to quiet down you twerps who think its all a vendetta against Todd P. If Todd had presented a show of his usual bands at Bowery Ballroom..."

This kind of started when someone accused the "phenomenal sound" commenter of working for Todd. I just want to point out a few of the comments from the opposing argument. (And personally, I love Bowery, Mercury and MHOW and think they do have great sound, non-asshole security, good booking and all that.)

Just saying...

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:19 PM

outdoor automatically equals bad sound? that is just completely untrue. there are many outdoor venues with excellent sound. you can't just pull shit out of your ass and say it's fact. I don't care how many "sound engineers" you think you know.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:22 PM

I remarked on the sound while I was there.

Sounded remarkable.

I would be curious to know if the space is, by pure coincidence, scientifically "good" acoustically. I live down the street, maybe I'll walk over there on the way to Kiwi's and sketch a diagram.

Here's a description/opinion: First off: the M train, nor Broadway traffic disrupted the musicians or the music they were playing. I didn't hear the traffic at all, or it added to the experience (which was awesome)). The stage was set up so the adjacent concrete walls would reflect most of the waves toward Broadway where they died in a mash of plastic covered wrought-iron gate, parked cars, and Beetle Park. The M train trestles create a giant elevated steel semi circle surrounding a large part of the crowd and a stage of 12 musicians. Perhaps this created an interesting reverberation that contributed to the Deacon-style Wall of Sound (I state this with great care). Also, the show was mixed well. The speakers weren't blown out or clipping. Perhaps Todd P thought it necessary to cap the volume due to the surrounding neighborhood, not realizing that capping the sound is necessary at every show. It was still extremely loud.

I generally dislike outdoor shows, if only because the sound blows. I can't wait (to hate) the sound at the Williamsburg Waterfront Park this summer.

Posted by Dan K. | May 18, 2009 5:25 PM

Fail!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:29 PM

Hahaha yeah Dan K, that was lame and sounded like a guy who knows nothing about sound engineering in full bullshit mode.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:37 PM

5:37, you should know all about full bullshit mode. you've been in it since 11:52 this morning.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:40 PM

How was the late show at the Bowery? Anyone? I passed out and woke up at like 3am...and about 40 messages from three very pissed friends. Sorry guys.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:49 PM

hey 5:37, 5:19, 5:16, 5:02, 4:49, 4:28, etc etc etc. no casual hater would waste as much time as you have typing all day just to try to talk people out of liking something.

why are you so worried that this spot might be successful? why do you care if the sound was good there and whether people like it? I sense that you're really worried that this place will catch on. what it really looks like is that you're involved with something that you're worried can't compete.

well here's the thing. the sound really was excellent there, and the space is really cool. I'm sure once you get over the initial denial you'll kick right into your next gear: pulling strings and trying to get the place shut down. You are a lying, soulless douchebag, and this is how people like you operate.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:50 PM

I don't think anyone was trying to "tear down" the venue. They were just pointing out that the ZOMG BEST SOUNDZ EVERZ posts were, well, kinda lame. in fact, it seems like this same person went out of their way to say complimentary things about Todd P. Keep fighting straw-man arguments though...it's a good way to spend your time, idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:57 PM

Yeah and here in the spirit of the "paranoia insanity" of thinking that anything negative about Todd P or any of his shows are the work on one person:

Hey 5:40, 5:50 and all the other time stamped comments(of which i dont have time to go through) you made today. Good work you deaf idiot who knows nothing about sound. Make sure Todd fully fucks you in the ass later for all your hard work

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 6:05 PM

How in God's name does this thread manage to happen in every Todd P post?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 6:17 PM

people said the sound was really good, which it was, and everyone who was there who's commented here has agreed with that so far.

then 11:52am rolls in and claims that there's no way the sound was really good, even though he didn't go to the show, and he's sure of it for reasons that revolve around (a.) shit talking the sound at every Tod P show ever, and (b.) the assertion that good sound is somehow always impossible at outdoor venues.

A number of people responded that the sound was actually great and that it's ridiculous to criticize a show you didn't go to, but the one guy kept insisting the sound couldn't have been good, and managed to work in lots of jabs about how stuff always he thinks everything always sucks at Todd P shows and that sound is always terrible at all outdoor shows, and how these two made up facts can be extrapolated to mean that there's no way the sound could possibly have been any good, even though he didn't go to the show and didn't hear what it sounded like.

that's pretty much the whole argument that took up the entire afternoon.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 6:24 PM

Really 6:24 is that you sum it up for everyone.

You seem to have it in your infinite wisdom(without any shred of proof for that matter) that anything negative said was all the work of one person.

How about this summation. This thread today was filled with one Todd P regular fanatic who posted over and over trying to pretend they were different people and claiming the sound at the venue was ZOMG INCREDIBLE BEST SOUNDING EVER. And god forbid anyone claimed that this might be a tad over the top considering where it was and the system the promoter uses at their shows.

How about that 6:24? I believe that summed it up correctly you fucking paranoid idiot.

OOH its all a conspiracy against Todd P. One guy is out to get him. OOH maybe its the head of Bowery Presents. OOH. Dumbass.`

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 6:34 PM

Dan Deacon also tours with his own PA.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 6:36 PM

Who knows why it always happens? It's obvious to me that there are anonymous commenters on here who always wanna tell unflattering lies about what does and doesn't happen at Todd P shows, and about the guy himself. That's just my opinion based on what I read here. I can tell you I go to a lot of shows, and I know that what's claimed here is often pretty far off from reality. There could be any number of reasons why telling those kinds of lies is somebody's M.O.. It's probably just a bitter person who got rubbed the wrong way.

Posted by Andy H. | May 18, 2009 6:40 PM

i give up. this thread has wasted so much time of my day.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 7:03 PM

You're all grounded. And I mean it this time.

Posted by Dad | May 18, 2009 7:24 PM

She is quite lovely and talented. And fifteen for the next two weeks.

Posted by mother | May 18, 2009 7:35 PM

mom?!!?!?

Posted by daughter | May 18, 2009 7:38 PM

dad?!?!?!

Posted by daughter | May 18, 2009 7:41 PM

I went to see Star Trek instead. Not THAT had pheeeeenominal sound. My grayhead was blown awayyyyyyy by the acoustics.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 7:57 PM

really special show! thanks for the photos!

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 8:40 PM

is there any other photos of this show? someone got right in my face and took one so i want it. thx :)

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 9:42 PM

wonderful photos! wish i was able to go to the show :/

Posted by lauren | May 18, 2009 9:46 PM

It is so weird to me that there is such dissonance for good times. I went to this show alone, didn't talk to anyone, searched for photos of myself in those above, but left feeling a part of something greater then myself. Dancing with strangers is a beautiful thing. And the sound WAS really good.

Posted by cosima | May 18, 2009 10:08 PM

dear girl i was dancing with,
we had held hands as we formed the tunnel and we seemed to be the only pair actually dancing. we were wiggling our arms and then when the tunnel was over we went crazy for a little while and i twirled you. i just wanted to say, you were the best partner i could ask for. if you're out there, let me know. i may have said some weird things

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 10:17 PM

dear boy i may have danced with,
i remember being one of the only people dancing in that tunnel, and as a result, i think i hit quite a few people on the head. and i sure did a lot of twirling that night. were u perchance at the beginning of the tunnel, and therefore possibly the man i danced with?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:05 PM

it sounds like me :) just to be sure: do you remember me saying anything to you? i did hit a lot of people. remember anything i dont?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:35 PM

"How in God's name does this thread manage to happen in every Todd P post?"

Because Todd P's lemming-like minions are fuckin-a pathetic panty-wastes.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:39 PM

or the other way around... the haters are even more threatened by Todd P's success than they are by everybody else's who gets shit talked on this fucking website

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:44 PM

It strikes me as truly odd that someone can say something very directly positive about Todd P...and yet still have a critique of something related to his productions...and then one of his interns or friends or whatever will claim that said person was trash-talking Todd P...even though they explicitly weren't...and even if they were, it's not like the guy is above criticism or anything.

you people (well, really, "person", 'cause it's only one of you) need help.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:44 PM

Are you really paranoid & dumb enough to think that Bowery Presents people are scouring the interwebs looking for ways to talk shit about Todd P? really??

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:50 PM

when did that actually happen? the argument on here today was over someone criticizing the sound at a show they didn't go to.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:57 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:01 AM

Hi. My name is Mr. Bowers McBowerystein. This is just a friendly reminder to let you know that Todd P has AIDS. If you go to one of his shows he will give you his AIDS. And Syphilis too. He spreads his diseases via his awful soundsystem...and by getting the Vivian Girls to sleep with you.

So remember, kids, if it says 'Bowery Presents' it's safe. But if it says "Todd P. Presents" then I hope you enjoy rotting in hell with all of the other dope-smoking hepcats.

Have a nice night!

Posted by Mr. Bowers McBowerystein | May 19, 2009 12:12 AM

11:05PM: email me

Posted by :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) | May 19, 2009 12:18 AM

my email might be useful: rafyongai@garrifulio.mailexpire.com

sry for turning this into missed connections

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:20 AM

Can someone post a rip of the NPR stream? Currently lathering myself with Silence Like The Wind.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:20 AM

"not onne commenter said anything remotely close to saying Bowery Presents is writing these hate threads. you can't just make shit up and then ascribe it to some crazy paranoia. go back and look over the thread, it's simply not there."

but it's okay for you to keep stating that the original person who dared to state that the sound at the venue probably wasn't as good as it was being hyped up to be was talking shit about Todd P, even though he explicitly praised Todd P in a few of his remarks? Ninja, please! You're played out!

Todd should hire a new intern. This one is wack and can't even keep his story straight! Fail!

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:20 AM

I'm currently lathering myself up with duck fat and thinking about Dan Deacon whispering sweet nothings in my ear.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:25 AM

No...like, really guys...the sound was fucking phenomenal!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:32 AM

1218 and 1220 are a mistake... the correct email is
nrafyongai@garrifulio.mailexpire.com

im so stupid :(

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:32 AM

1218 and 1220 are a mistake... the correct email is
nrafyongai@garrifulio.mailexpire.com

im so stupid :(

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:33 AM

12:01am - I implied it when I wrote my comment at 5:19pm... but actually no I don't really believe it (which is why I was only implied it). Todd P is to Bowery Presents as apples are to oranges, they are just different. I like both and don't think either would really feel the need to stoop to this or even really be threatened by each other.

What I was trying to say was that this dude DOES sound like he works for Bowery, but I actually think he just WISHES he worked for Bowery.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:38 AM

And also, to the sound guy who keeps talking about the physics of sound and telling people to grow up: You do a lot of name-calling. It's not very mature. You might want to take some of your own advice.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:43 AM

Todd, it's late. Go to bed. You've had a full day. There's always tomorrow.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:48 AM

12:48am - Thanks for missing my point entirely, but really what did I expect?

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 1:09 AM

Go back and read 1:05pm and you'll see why this thing turned ugly. The guy comes out swinging and talks some really snarky shit about Todd P shows in general.

So, then people who like Todd P shows defended against the claims, and so on and so on. Whether some of those people were somehow related to Todd P or just supporters or just people who disagree with what the guy was saying, does it matter?

What was said was rude and unflattering and wasn't accurate. Calling that out is more noble than making untrue negative claims is, and unfortunately there are lots of people who actually give credence to the anonymous claims people make here; silly and illogical as that may be.

There's nothing contemptible about defending yourself or defending other people against false claims. Lies can ruin reputations, and reputations mean something. Welcome to the real world.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 2:39 AM

That's funny...'cause I just went and read 1:05pm...and here's what I read:

"I was at this place last year and yeah its fun and yeah the sound aint terrible and yeah Todd P puts on good shows but let's keep the ridiculous hyperbole to a minimum"

1) personal experience with the venue.
2) said it was fun.
3) said the sound ain't terrible.
4) says Todd puts on a good show.

You're right though...let's attack him because he's not a full-on kool aid drinking Todd P worshipper like you are.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous and extremist you're sounding right now??? Get a grip, man! Seriously!

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 2:53 AM

really 2:53? aside from obviously being 1:05 (who else would care?) you're really reaching to mislead whoever you think your audience is here.

cause you left out this bug chink of that 1:05pm post, which is full of big insults, and all fully bullshit. It's in quotes:

"How would you expect to with people who gloat about being regulars at Todd P parties. That's like the guy who stands outside the restaurant Babbo or Del Posto(yes im giving much love to Mario Batali) screaming about how he is a regular at Olive Garden and it's better."

"Or the jackass above who tells us to ask anyone who was at the show about the sound. Oh do you mean the majority who are like under 17 and don't really go to concerts in places where professional sound engineers have built the sound system? Or do you mean the majority of people there who think that Dan Deacon is some kind of musical genius?"

does that sound like positive talk to you? it doesn't because it ain't. The guy is trying to claim that Todd P shows are the musical equivalent of the Olive Garden. That the regualrs at Todd P shows are philistines. That the crowd is average age 17. Not one of these things resembles a true statement about Todd P shows. In reality, the sound is often quite good at Todd P shows. In reality, those shows attract an educated, sophisticated crowd that goes to shows elsewhere as well.

Really doesn't matter what throw away faint praise he frames it with to sound like less of an asshole. That post was meanspirited and ugly, and above all clueless. You deserved all the defensive response you got.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 3:07 AM

Dude...i'm not 1:05...but you ARE sounding fucking crazy! Seriously. Why are you getting this worked up over this? It's just the internet. Sheesh! Get a fucking hobby or get laid or something! Do you really have nothing better to do than flip out at people at 3am for things that you're claiming they said that they didn't actually say? I mean, think about how absurd that is for a moment!

Holy Mark Chapman in the making, Batman!

Posted by 2:53 | May 19, 2009 3:16 AM

whatever dude, you're totally full of shit and it's obvious.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 3:22 AM

PENISSSS!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 9:52 AM

Yawn

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 10:27 AM

here you go jerks:

if this doesn't work, try killing yourselves.

Posted by Sacred Absolute Hipster Cow | May 19, 2009 10:47 AM

Out of curiosity, I'm just wondering how the sound was at this venue location? Anyone?

Posted by Ben Stein | May 19, 2009 12:13 PM

i bet those glasses aren't even broken and he just puts tape on them to make them look "authentic".

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 5:16 PM

I also bet his sling is to make him look more "authentic".

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 5:33 PM

the sling and broken glasses are like michael jackson's gloves and face mask.

they are also similar in that they both like to touch little boys.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 5:36 PM

This 'Todd P.' guy sounds like a lot of fun, might check out his shows.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 7:56 PM

Dan Deacon - Live at 9:30 Club 05.17.09 (mp3)

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 8:17 PM

So I haven't been to a ton of shows, but this was by far the best I've ever been to. I wouldn't say the sound was phenomenal because I don't know what it potentially COULD have sounded like. That being said, it was totally awesome and I'm pretty sure anyone who was there would agree- phenomenal sound or not, the venue was a great place for a show. And the music was great, the atmosphere was unbelievable, so honestly...who gives a shit?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 12:16 AM

^
you do, obviously, since you felt the need to post about it.

i hear the sound was phenoMEHnal.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 12:21 AM

^
and you care too, since you felt the need to respond.

(and make yet another stupid MEH joke.)

but i responded to your response, so i still care too. fuck me, i haven't slept in days.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 1:59 AM

^
the difference being that i never claimed to not care as you did, but then proved otherwise by your actions...twice now.

but how was the sound? that's the really important question in this thread.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 3:06 AM

^
when did i claim to not care? oh, you think i'm the guy that wrote the post at 12:16. seriously dude, you need to get it straight in your head that not every other anonymous is the same person. you can probably identify my posts because i wrote the word "dude" in almost all of them and by the fact that i've stated that I DIDN"T GO TO THIS SHOW.

I just (still) think it's bullshit that there is a person (at least one person, possibly more) out there who is so vehemently tearing down the sound quality of a show he (or she or they) wasn't at. That's what I care about. What do you care about?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 9:42 AM

Dan Deacon Ensemble
Live at the 9:30 Club, Washington D.C.
May 17, 2009

6. Woof Woof 05:11
7. Baltihorse (Extended) 13:46
8. The Crystal Cat 04:19
9. Silence Like The Wind 07:56
10. Wham City 09:15

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 7:53 PM

i felt the need to post about it because i was seeing a lot of people being assholes over a complete non-issue. sorry i did.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 8:14 PM

The sound of that digitally-compressed NPR stream is phenomenal!

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 8:19 PM

wow. that huge asshole really dominated this thread. who argues about sound at a show they didn't attend? well, obviously someone with an agenda to diss these sorts of shows.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 8:20 PM

you see that black kid looking like hes slanging rock or some shit?

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2009 2:19 PM

any sites with pics besides BV?

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2009 4:51 PM

why are there 2 pictures of charlie?

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 5:40 PM

Islam is a religion of peace

Posted by منتديات | February 24, 2011 6:34 AM