Posted in MP3 | music | pictures | tour dates on May 1, 2009

photos by Bryan Bruchman

DOWNLOAD: Deer Tick - Easy (new MP3)

Deer Tick

As previously mentioned, Deer Tick are going on a short tour with Jenny Lewis in June, June 9th at Music Hall of Williamsburg included. On July 4th, Jenny Lewis is playing a much bigger and much cheaper show (free) in Battery Park with Conor Oberst.

And I'm happy to announce that Deer Tick will be playing a free NYC show of their own this summer, though like Jenny Lewis, it will be as an opening band. Grace Potter and the Nocturnals headline the 'Celebrate Brooklyn' show in Prospect Park on August 7th. Other bands confirmed for free shows at the Brooklyn bandshell this summer are They Might Be Giants, David Byrne, Dr. Dog, and Phosphorescent. The entire schedule will be announced on May 4th.

And between June and August, Deer Tick will not be resting. After finishing with Jenny, John Joseph McCauley III (his full name according to MySpace) and crew (Deer Tick) will stay on the road, teaming up for a tour with Dawes for most of July, and then hitting the Bowery Ballroom for another headlining NYC show in that venue on July 24th (no opener or ticket info yet).

In October, Deer Tick is also scheduled to play Austin City Limits, and the Joshua Tree Roots Music Festival.

Deer Tick's new album Born on Flag Day will be released on June 23rd via Partisan Records. The first legally released track is available for download above. The entire track list, (new) cover art (they trashed the first design), more pictures from the 2009 BV SXSW show, and all tour dates, below...

Deer Tick

6. Straight Into A Storm
7. Friday XIII
8. The Ghost
9. Hell On Earth
10. Stung

Deer Tick - 2009 Tour Dates
Fri-May 8 - [John McCauley solo show] Golden West w/ Caleb Stine Baltimore, Maryland
Sat-May-30 Baltimore, MD Talking Head
Mon-Jun-08 Philadelphia, PA Trocadero %
Tue-Jun-09 Brooklyn, NY Music Hall of Williamsburg %
Wed-Jun-10 Boston, MA House of Blues %
Thu-Jun-11 Washington, DC 9:30 Club %
Fri-Jun-12 Carrboro, NC Cat's Cradle %
Sat-Jun-13 Memphis, TN Hi-Tone
Sun-Jun-14 St. Louis, MO The Pageant % (John's Birthday)
Mon-Jun-15 Lawrence, KS Granada %
Sat-Oct-03 Austin, TX Austin City Limits Festival
Sun-Oct-04 Austin, TX Austin City Limits Festival
Sat-Oct-10 Joshua Tree, CA Joshua Tree Roots Music Festival
Sun-Oct-11 Joshua Tree, CA Joshua Tree Roots Music Festival

% = w/ Jenny Lewis
* = w/ Dawes

Are they gonna make out with Grace Potter?

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2009 3:43 PM

i'm glad john cut his hair.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2009 3:54 PM

John's SXSW rant at the Deer Tick myspace is a thing to behold.

A sample:
"Yes, I was late for the Deer Tick set at Todd P's party at Ms. Bea's because I was sick and my throat hurt like crazy. (We did 8 shows in 4 days, 4 of them in one day, and I am no trained singer). I planned on taking the afternoon off cause my pipes were killin' me. But I suppose when you're in certain situations, you end up sacrificing a bit of independence, and even though you feel like shit it's still "in your best interest" to play. Text messages I got that guaranteed my life was going to be a living hell if I didn't play didn't feel to good, either. But all that aside, I'm offended that it was announced at that show that I was a "hungover, flaky motherfucker". I still showed up and put on the best show I could."

There's more.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2009 4:08 PM

South by Self Destructive Tickheads
Hey all,

Let me just drop some truth real quick...

I was a bit hurt by something I read about me being a "hungover, flaky motherfucker" and the word ill in quotation marks, because of some issues at SXSW this year. I just want to publicly state the following...

Homeslice Pizza was a whole 'nother story though. See, within the Deer Tick camp, lots of people were confused about what time we had to start. I woke up early that morning knowing that I could not possibly sing that day. It hurt to swallow water. Anyways, from my shitty motel room, I called some people who I figured would take care of the matter and get the word out early that we wouldn't be performing. But because of this confusion about our set time, our people contacted their people a half hour after we were supposed to play, because our people thought we were supposed to play in 3 hours. So, yeah, shitty situation, and I don't feel awesome about it at all. I'm sorry for anyone that went out to Homeslice hoping to see us that afternoon, I really am.

I just don't want anyone thinking that any of us are romantically self destructive or anything stupid like that. When we cancel a gig its because our van broke down, or someone is sick (or in my case, has tonsils the size of golf balls), or something really serious has happened.

We always play our asses off, we tour relentlessly, and we're people too. We love playing shows for all of you. And for those of you that haven't seen us live, we can't wait to play for you.

Bottom line is this: We hope that anybody who might be upset with us can understand where we're coming from, and understand the fact that we never intend to upset anybody (Except racists, sexists, homophobes, etc.)

With love,
-John J. McCauley III & Deer Tick.

Posted by the whole letter | May 1, 2009 4:52 PM

Yowza, looking forward to Celebrate Brooklyn! More Grace Potter? http://www.thisissomewhere.com/

Here at TIS.com we love us some Deer Tick.

Posted by kcortez | May 1, 2009 5:01 PM

Who's not a hungover flaky motherfucker by the Friday of SXSW week?

Anyway, I would love to hear who threatened John:
"Text messages I got that guaranteed my life was going to be a living hell if I didn't play didn't feel to [too] good".

Posted by hungover flaky motherfucker | May 1, 2009 5:16 PM

"Anyway, I would love to hear who threatened John:"

Todd P?

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2009 5:20 PM

Todd P, the DIY gangster.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2009 5:21 PM

Todd P is the new Dane Cook. John McCauley has more genius in his dick than an army of Todd P douche bags. LONG LIVE DEER TICK!

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2009 5:59 PM

Oh, how I don't give a shit about Deer Tick.

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2009 6:06 PM

Then why comment, asshole?

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2009 6:10 PM

"Oh, how I don't give a shit about Deer Tick."

your loss

Posted by Anonymous | May 1, 2009 6:14 PM

Anyway, I would love to hear who threatened John:

Posted by den | May 1, 2009 7:02 PM

fuck yeah, Deer Tick a palooza!

Posted by tickhead superfan | May 1, 2009 8:06 PM

Grace Potter's band, the Nocturnals, are fantastic. Some of the members have another band, Blues & Lasers, that is a lot heavier and edgier than Grace's music. If you like the dirt of Deer Tick, then B & L might be up your alley. They do eat meat though...lot's of it!!!

Posted by anti-trendy | May 5, 2009 2:02 PM