Posted in music | tour dates on May 28, 2009

Dave Gahan

"Depeche Mode are pleased to announce they will restart their interrupted Tour Of The Universe in Leipzig, Germany on June 8th. On May 12th, lead singer Dave Gahan suffered a severe bout of gastroenteritis, leading to his hospitalization and the cancellation of the Athens concert. While in hospital, further medical tests revealed a low-grade malignant tumour in Dave's bladder, which has since been successfully removed. At doctors' orders Dave Gahan must take a break until June 8th, to ensure that he makes a full recovery. The Leipzig show on June 8th will be the first concert following Dave's recovery.

Dave Gahan sincerely thanks his fans for their support, understanding and patience. Depeche Mode deeply regret any problems or inconveniences the cancellations and postponements may have caused."

I'm glad he's doing okay, and I can't believe he can even start playing shows again so soon after something like that. All affected dates below...

AFFECTED UPCOMING SHOWS

May 30th
London O2 is postponed and will be rescheduled to a new date, which will be announced shortly. Tickets purchased will remain valid.

May 31st
Depeche Mode's performance at the Pinkpop Festival in Landgraaf is cancelled.

June 2nd
The show at the HSH Nordbank Arena in Hamburg will now take place on July 1st. Tickets purchased remain valid.

June 4th & 5th
The shows at Dusseldorf LTU Arena on June 4th and 5th will be rescheduled, however the exact dates cannot be determined until the 2nd Bundesliga releases its new schedule. Dates for the rescheduled shows are expected to be announced by early July. Ticket holders should retain their tickets for the rescheduled shows.

June 7th & 8th
Regrettably, the June 7th show in Leipzig must be cancelled due to doctors' orders, however the June 8th show will occur as planned. Tickets for the cancelled June 7th show may be exchanged for tickets to either the June 8th show in Leipzig or the June 10th show in Berlin (availability permitting) at the relevant box office.

July 2nd
Bergen, Koengen has been rescheduled to Thursday, January 28th, 2010 at the Vestlandhallen.

SHOWS TAKING PLACE AS ORIGINALLY PLANNED
The following European shows are not affected and will take place as originally planned.

June 8th LEIPZIG Zentralstadion
June 10th BERLIN Olympiastadion
June 12th FRANKFURT Commerzbank Arena
June 13th MUNICH Olympiastadion
June 16th ROME Stadio Olimpico
June 18th MILAN Stadio San Siro
June 20th WERCHTER TW Classic Festival
June 22nd BRATISLAVA Inter Stadium
June 23rd BUDAPEST Puskas Ferenc Stadium
June 25th PRAGUE Slavia Stadium
June 27th PARIS Stade de France
June 28th NANCY Zenith Amphitheatre
June 30th COPENHAGEN Parken Stadium
July 1st HAMBURG (rescheduled show)
July 3rd ARVIKA Arvika Festival
July 6th CARCASSONNE Esplanade Gambetta
July 8th VALLADOLID Jose Zorilla Stadium
July 9th BILBAO BBK Live Festival
July 11th PORTO Super Bock Super Rock Festival
July 12th SEVILLE Olimpic Stadium

Furthermore, all dates following Seville on the Tour of the Universe will proceed as originally planned.

CANCELLED SHOWS STILL TO BE DETERMINED
Ticket holders for the previously cancelled shows listed below are encouraged to hold on to their tickets pending a further statement. Every effort continues to be made to reschedule these shows and more time is needed to resolve venue availability and routing. A final decision is expected early next week, at which time a statement will be made with regards to either a rescheduled date or final cancellation.

May 12th ATHENS Terra Vibe
May 14th ISTANBUL Santral Istanbul
May 16th BUCHAREST Parc Izvor
May 18th SOFIA Vasil Levski
May 20th BELGRADE USCE Park
May 21st ZAGREB Arena
May 23rd WARSAW Gwardia Stadium
May 25th RIGA Skonto Stadium
May 27th VILNIUS Zalgirio Stadionas

oh I hope all the drug commenters are happy now

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 2:12 PM

2:12 I am sure they won't care because they are all as8holes

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 2:39 PM

i'm sure a lot went into the tour, but dude, take a break. stomach/bladder issues are no joke

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 2:53 PM

So I guess Gahan was able to "shake the disease."

Posted by Dan | May 28, 2009 2:53 PM

"Cancer surgery" and he's being shoved back out on the road to keep singing "Personal Jesus" 100,000 more times? Something doesn't smell right here --- how much did Marty pay the "doctors" to concoct this story? Let's see the medical records. Either way, Gore looks bad: a greedy bastard who doesn't care about Gahan's health, or a liar trying to cover the real story with bought and paid for lies.

Posted by Dr. Benway | May 28, 2009 3:47 PM

Someone early on, in that other post, mentioned something about him having cancer, and the Modettes were all "ZOMG, STFU, he just has the flu!! give the guy a break!!!"

Well...turns out he had cancer...or at least that's what they're claiming.

But rather than being more cautious in their unbridled pursuit of a fictitious world where Dave Gahan is the second coming of Christ, they're already at it again, above, by attacking the messengers rather than the message.

Good luck to you all...especially Dave and his drug problem.

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 4:54 PM

if the tumor was malignant, i.e, cancerous, doesn't that require follow-up treatment such as chemo? let's have the FULL story..........hard to believe someone with cancer can go on the road after 3 weeks of surgery.........

Posted by spacehead | May 28, 2009 9:06 PM

reach out and touch dave in bratislava sooooon

Posted by sakal fakal | May 29, 2009 4:11 AM

Well... it's a pretty serious surgery.

I think after a few concerts more cancelations are on the way. Dave should cancell the whole tour untill FULL recovery.

Posted by Recoiler | May 29, 2009 9:14 AM

"Well... it's a pretty serious surgery.

He performs with 200% output and it's a serious mistake to continue tour with unhealed wound. Boy oh boy... I hope they will re-consider."

Unless the whole story is bullshit and a cover for the REAL problem in the first place. Which seems far more likely than a guy having malignant cancer surgery and then sprinting back out on to the road.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 11:23 AM

People! I'm an operating room nurse, here is the real scoop. Removing a cancerous bladder tumor takes about 5 minutes (they are teeny tiny) sometimes requiring no anesthesia. There is no "cutting" involved, everything is done through, well....ahem, it's not major surgery at all. And 99% of the time, the whole lesion is removed and no follow up is required, other than rechecks every now and then to make sure it hasn't returned. He'll be FINE. The only reason he needs to rest for a few weeks is because there could rarely be bleeding after removal and better to be safe than sorry.

Posted by Andrea | May 29, 2009 7:25 PM

Make sence to me. Thanks.

Posted by Recoiler | May 30, 2009 4:21 PM

Andrea, you weren't there, so you are just Guessing at the size, shape and location of the tumor. supposition. also how can you be sure there wasn't a secondary problem of some sort? again you weren't there, so you don't know. thirdly how can you be so sure that the procedure went so swimmingly as you suggest? docs (and nurses) goof up all the time. (see what happen to Andy Warhol: ROUTINE gall bladder op and he wound up DROWNING TO DEATH.)

my point is nobody but DG and his docs can can definitively state what kind of shape he is in and the exact state of his health as well as prognosis.

fine for you to speak in general terms, but professionally speaking you don't know anything about GD's specific ailment(s) do you?

Posted by Dr Whack | May 30, 2009 10:29 PM

^ not knowing anything about anything has never before stopped anyone from commenting as an expert on the internets...so why start now?

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2009 12:30 AM

^^^

ha,ha,....very true.....but at least you get a chance to call people out and perhaps others
will think maybe there is more to the story than meets the eye. and of course, experts aren't always all they are cracked up to be, incl docs, nurses, pols & talking heads.

question everything..............

Posted by Dr Whack | May 31, 2009 10:43 AM

Wow...take a chill, Dr. Whack. I never stated I was an expert, just someone who has worked professionally with patients who have malignant bladder tumors every day for the past ten years. My main point was that some people on this thread were making absolutely ridiculous accusations, having mini-strokes and fabricating stupid stories so in that sense, yes, I do know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

Posted by Andrea | May 31, 2009 6:33 PM

Oh, and let me add that Dave's tumor was described as a "low grade malignancy." This means that the size is small, and the shape and location are of no importance. And secondary problem?? WTF?

Dave was very lucky to have had this caught in it's very earliest stages, when it was just starting to show signs of malignancy. Now stop being so assinine and wish the guy well and let him continue his tour when he recovers.

Posted by Andrea | May 31, 2009 6:59 PM

WHY WON'T YOU PEOPLE JUST LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE?!?!?

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2009 7:57 PM

low-grade MEHlignancy

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2009 8:10 PM

Andrea:"My main point was that some people on this thread were making absolutely ridiculous accusations, having mini-strokes and fabricating stupid stories so in that sense, yes, I do know EXACTLY what I am talking about"

^^^ you can't even write a coherent sentence and you like us to believe you know what you're talking about?

the fact of the matter remains the same: you haven't seen DG's med records, spoken to him or his docs, you don't know if there is
another med problem in addition to the tumor, you don't know ANYTHING about this specific case except what you have read in the media. is that correct? yes or no?

"asinine"? you could say that again. (btw don't they teach you basic spelling prior to your "medical" training?)

Posted by Dr Whack | May 31, 2009 10:43 PM

Dr. Whack (you are clearly living up to your name,) as a person who can't seem to use capital letters at the beginning of any sentence, you are the last person who should be pointing out my one spelling error.

I now realize you are not a Depeche Mode fan and I am sorry I even bothered to calm people's fears that Dave is near death. Your conspiracy theories are laughable. It's almost as if you are wishing something horrible on the poor guy. That's scary and something I want no part of. Take care to the REAL DM fans -- I'll see you at a concert or two!!

Posted by Andrea | June 1, 2009 6:00 PM

"I'll see you at a concert or two!!"

Unless Dave dies of an overdose first.

Posted by Anonymous | June 1, 2009 6:05 PM

I pray to God that Dave is not risking his life by resuming the tour. As a stage IV colon cancer survivor who was given 3 months to live 3 years ago, I am here today because of a 2nd opinion and my amazing Oncologist, Dr. Heinz-Josef Lenz from USC Norris Cancer Center. Dr. Lenz is a world-reknown GI Oncologist who is on the cutting edge of treatment for all GI cancers. I am going to do my best to reach out to Dave and make sure he gets a 2nd opinion from a doctor who is not treating him. Something I learned about entertainers and dealing with this horrific disease, is that 9 times out of 10 a celebrity will go to a doctor who will tell them what he/she wants to hear. I pray to God that Dave is not of those celebs who, God Forbid, will turn into a statistic. Although this allegedly was a low grade tumor that was successfully removed, he SHOULD have follow up treatment and care ASAP. A cancer patient is at their highest risk for recurrence during the first 2 years AFTER surgery. Take it from me; I was "cancer free" for 1 1/2 years and then had to deal with another liver resection when the cancer returned. If I wasn't under the watchful caring eye of Dr. Lenz, the cancer that came back could have been missed and the consequences could have been catastrophic once again. As much as I can NOT wait to see Depeche live again, I would much rather see Dave healthy & happy and not at any risk for any recurrence. I hope Dave is taking care of himself and not worrying about any obligations to the band and fans; we will still be here...God willing.

Posted by Jackie | June 2, 2009 3:09 PM

Andrea, are you high on crack? you sure sound like you are high on something....what's really laughable is the notion that you work in the "medical" profession......you have the intellectual capacity of a 5 year old.

no one has mentioned anything about 'mini-stokes' or 'conspiracy theories'. you deflect everything away from the main issue: you know absolutely nothing specific about DG's med condition, let alone 'calm(ing) people's fears that Dave is near death.' unless you
have some special psychic power, i don't know how you could make such an idiotic statement without having firsthand knowledge of his condition.

for you to comment on ANYONE"S health issues without being fully informed (except in general terms) is not only presumptuous, it's unprofessional.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2009 7:45 PM

^^^
above post by Dr Whack.

Posted by Dr Whack | June 2, 2009 7:47 PM

@ Jackie,

excellent post! very well put, my sentiments exactly. don't necessarily agree that 9 times out of ten docs tell celebs what they want to hear, but i quite understand what you are saying.

also an excellent point about getting a 2nd opinion ( i would say 3 or 4 additional opinions would not be excessive.) one must be extremely cautious when it comes to a serious health problem.

my point above was that docs and nurses screw up all the time ( no need to go into my own negative experiences) and one must be as vigilant as possible and question everything.

glad to hear you had a positive experience with your oncologist and i hope you continue to remain in good health.

Posted by Dr Whack | June 2, 2009 8:06 PM

Nice few threads amongst the posts, shame about the negative immature people..
Thanks to the constructive people and positive well wishers.
I'll be fine, people needn't worry, I'm resting well and am being looked after. See you all soon xx

Posted by Dave | June 3, 2009 4:32 AM

Thanks for the well wishes, Dr. Whack. I am truly fortunate!

In regards to Dave, obviously we all wish him well and a full recovery.

I am trying to forward the NCCN guidelines to Dave (one way or another) hoping that he received the standard of care by his attending physician. I would encourage ANYONE to get a 2nd opinion regardless of what the 1st doctor said.

I still think he should be receiving some form of follow up care and I pray that he is not putting off on treatment so that he can continue with the tour. That would be foolish! Dave's health should come first; we can wait!!!

GET WELL SOON DAVE!!!

Posted by Jackie | June 3, 2009 8:36 PM

Jackie, I'm quite sure Dave is getting excellent care. Dave is smart. He'll do the right thing. Having had the pleasure of meeting him in the past I can tell he is also a lovely guy.

If you both haven't heard this Green Tea (along w mod medicine) is thought to be quite beneficial in treating and preventing bladder cancers and infections. It is LOADED with
antioxidants.

Posted by Dr Whack | June 4, 2009 10:26 AM

hjhjhuj

Posted by Anonymous | July 12, 2009 10:52 AM

i know he didnt require chemo.. but did he receive any radiation treatment, or do they not do that for this sorta thing? im also wondering how hes doin a couple months after the fact. .. im going under the knife tomorrow morning to have high grade sarcoma removed from my lung, and dave has always been an inspiration.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2009 1:24 AM

I don't really care if it is the truth or just a cover story. important that he's OK. I love their songs.

Posted by Cazare Bucuresti | December 15, 2010 6:21 AM