High Places @ Stuy Town Oval 2008 (thepiratehat)
Music on the Oval will feature free family-friendly concerts at 7:00 p.m. New Yorkers and visitors will groove to a different pre-show DJ each night starting at 6:00 p.m...The Stuyvesant Town Oval is located between 16th and 18th Streets and Avenues A & B and the entrance is off First Avenue and 16th Street.We already mentioned that Jay Reatard is the family-friendly artist playing there on July 1st. Kaki King, The Budos Band and a few others are playing there this summer too. Full schedule below...
Music on the Oval 2009 Schedule
* June 10 - The Budos Band - Based in Staten Island, Daptone recording artists Budos Band has become one of New York's finest exporters of Afro-tinged classic soul, musically beloved (and employed) by local queen Sharon Jones and international superstar Amy Winehouse. Daptone family's DJ Honeydripper will kick the night off.Kaki King also has a show coming up at Glasslands.
* June 17 - Phenomenal Handclap Band - The group combines the best attributes of Brooklyn's underground music scene, circa 2009: the chops to emulate an encyclopedic knowledge of rock and pop history, plus the love of disco to make the whole thing boogie-able. DJ Duane Harriott will get the crowed warmed up.
* June 24 - Easy Star All-Stars - New York's hometown reggae heroes, Easy Star All-Stars have gained themselves an incredible worldwide following by locking a rocksteady Jamaican groove to the classic songs of Pink Floyd, Radiohead and the Beatles. Easy Star's solo keyboard phenom Ticklah will start the night off right.
* July 1 - Jay Reatard - Using a never-ending barrage of under-three-minute pop nuggets, Jay Reatard gloriously upholds Memphis, Tennessee's greasy garage-punk tradition; his upcoming Matador Records debut ensures the tradition's fine future. DJs Doug Mosurock and Mr. Vacation also like their rock music fun and funky!
* July 8 - Forro in the Dark - From the international state of the Lower East Side, comes Forro in the Dark, the Big Apple's pre-eminent practitioners of forro, a northeastern Brazilian party music part samba and part country soul, that's been setting Nublu a-dancing since 2002. (David Byrne approved!) DJ Probus will get things started.
* July 15 - Kaki King - Led by guitar heroine Katherine King (whose shredding skills have been utilized by the likes of Foo Fighters and Tegan & Sara), Brooklyn's Kaki King veers between progressive, loud rock and roll jams, and melodically beautiful acoustic excursions. Justin Carter and Raspberry Jones' DJ sets have been known to be equally eclectic.