Posted in music | tour dates on May 19, 2009

DOWNLOAD: Iron & Wine - Belated Promise Ring (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: Iron & Wine - The Trapeze Swinger (MP3)

Iron & Wine @ Abrons Arts Center in NYC - May 18, 2009 (Philip Pissas)
Iron and Wine

"This tour, which found Sam Beam playing the relatively intimate Abrons Arts Center on the Lower East Side, made for an odd starting point: the set list abounded with rarities, and Beam would occasionally pause mid-song if a line or chord hadn't gone as planned. The overall effect, though, was charming, and I was reminded of exactly why I'd been drawn to Beam's music from the beginning. And given just how forceful his vocal delivery was on many of the songs, it looks like my "well, maybe I won't get tickets for the show at the Bowery Ballroom/Webster Hall/etc" mindset was, in fact, completely wrong. Highlights included "The Trapeze Swinger" and "Sodom, South Georgia," both of which were searingly played and sung." [Tobias Carroll]
The NYC shows were May 17th and 18th (last night). "Around the Well", a new Iron & Wine 2-CD rarities comp, is out today via Sub Pop. You can download two of the songs for free above.

Iron & Wine's upcoming shows include the Newport Folk Festival, ATP NY, and an Other Music in-store... today (5/19). They'll also be on Jimmy Fallon tonight. All dates, and some videos from Abrons Arts Center, below...

Iron & Wine - 2009 Tour Dates
May 19 - Other Music, New York, New York
May 19 - Jimmy Fallon show, TV
Jul 9 - Ottawa Blues Fest Ottawa, Ontario
Jul 10 - Winnipeg Folk Festival Winnipeg, Manitoba
Jul 23 - Calgary Folk Festival Calgary, Alberta
Aug 1 - George Wein's Folk Festival 50 Newport, Rhode Island
Aug 7 - Regina Folk Festival Regina, Saskatchewan
Aug 8 - Edmonton Folk Festival Edmonton, Alberta
Aug 15 - Philadelphia Folk Festival Schwenksville, Pennsylvania
Sep 11 - ATP NY Festival - Monticello, New York,

it should noted that you need a "ticket" to go to the other music thing and you had to pre-order the new album to get one.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 11:51 AM

sunday night's show was absolutely stellar... he played everything i was hoping he would, his voice was gorgeous, and even the technical issues and lyric mess-ups made the night real and unique...forgetting the words to such great heights was priceless. the intimate setting was just unbelievably special. and props to lia ices, that girl has a beautiful set of pipes. really enjoyed her set as well.

but damn the kids in the front row who started the loud clap along to sodom, south georgia.... seriously dudes?! that's my favorite song. you're lucky, i was very close to throwing something at you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:00 PM

hah! glad i'm not the only one who wanted to kill the clappers.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:03 PM

If by clappers you mean those two stalkers, then yes, I wanted to kill them too. They were beginning to freak me out a little.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:08 PM

Man those clappers got to me as well. I'm always so surprised and awed by how down to earth and cool Sam Beam is. I brought along somebody relatively new to Iron and Wine and I think he is going to be a big fan now.

Posted by Jbaxter | May 19, 2009 12:12 PM

I LOVED the show on Sunday night. Sam played solo which was great, and I agree that even a few of the missteps were charming. Some of the songs WERE old and in the back catalog but he was superb.

Video from Sunday night at the link >>

Posted by L. | May 19, 2009 12:13 PM

Does anyone have a setlist from Monday? There was a song played mid-set that I didn't recognize (uptempo, something about "coming down from the mountain", maybe?).

Anyway, last night was great. Wonderful show (we need more events there!) with a respectful crowd (especially by NY standards).

Posted by MC Neon Cell Gap | May 19, 2009 12:19 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:23 PM

I hope more shows like this get booked there. Thought the venue was great.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:26 PM

how long are Other Music in-store's usually?
nonetheless, tonites gonna be cool I think...

Posted by Pedro | May 19, 2009 12:33 PM

The clappers were in full force on Monday night as well. It sucked.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:35 PM

Hahaha "something about "coming down from the mountain" - I think that's the lyrical theme to just about all his songs.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 12:36 PM

hey, that guy was the Rabbi at my bar mitzvah!

Posted by Adolf Steinberg | May 19, 2009 1:24 PM

you're probably thinking of "Upwards Over the Mountain", it's off Creek Drank the Cradle

Posted by jonathan | May 19, 2009 1:25 PM

The girl with the beautiful voice is Sam's sister, Sarah.

Posted by Bill | May 19, 2009 1:29 PM

i was sitting right next to the clappers in the front row on sunday night. they might have been the most annoying stalkers ever.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 1:59 PM

^^
What time did you arrive in order to get front row, just curious?

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 2:10 PM

i too was sat next those damn clappers. eghck. they were terrible. obnoxious stalkers.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 2:13 PM

If "the clappers" are reading this....

1)you are not in the band!

2)if beam wanted backing clapping, he would have done so.

3)your clapping was sub-par not sub pop!

4) let the artist be

Posted by bad man james | May 19, 2009 2:23 PM

The clappers also gave him a mango on Monday night. Sam was great- loved the venue.

Posted by LT | May 19, 2009 2:26 PM

new double disc iron and wine is 7.99 at target, 9.99 at best buy. just saying. you can always go to sound fix / other music for those releases that bb wouldn't be stocking...

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 2:44 PM

@ 2:10 - we got there at 6:30

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 2:45 PM

thoughts on that opening band monday night?

Posted by jill | May 19, 2009 3:01 PM

partyface was good (except they informed the crowd near the end of the set their new name was dual lions I think). the girl's left arm was broken so it seemed she was just playing melodies on the piano, great songs and she has a gorgeous voice.

Posted by jonathan | May 19, 2009 3:06 PM

'The only thing I could've done without was "guy with long torso + his girlfriend" sitting in front of me... '

I think I was that guy with the long torso! I've ceased to feel guilty about it because there is nothing i can do. i'm a big person in a tiny seat.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 3:16 PM

@MC Neon Cell Gap (12:19) -- I bet you're thinking of "In Your Own Time," maybe the most obscure song from last night's set. Fairly traditional country-sounding tune? I loved it, didn't recognize it either, had to research it when I got home. Never officially released, it seems, and it's not on "Around the Well" either :( But if you're resourceful I bet you can find it.

The first verse & chorus are:

In your own time you'll dream something evil
Sing like an old crow and worship the land
Don't be scared if I walk with the devil
Come down the mountain and ask for your hand

Because we only want a life that's well worth living
And sleeping's no kind of life at all
Come meet the family and sit by the fire
Someone will catch you if you want to fall

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 3:55 PM

for a cheap ($5.95?) 160kb download of songs from this tour check out playedlastnight.com. the nyc shows should be up in a day or two.

must have been really nice with sister Sarah - did she sing both nights?

Posted by jakalapa | May 19, 2009 3:57 PM

she did not come out on sunday

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 4:02 PM

Those stalker guys were two of the most annoying people I've ever encountered; although it was mostly just the one guy. He nearly ruined the show for those around him. How can you be that clueless?

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 4:31 PM

Big person in a tiny seat? Are you related to fat guy in a little coat?

I had a good time. I hope they have more shows here. We got there fairly late and still managed second row on the side. But then decided to move up to the balcony. The clappers didn't bother me up there, but I can understand.

Posted by Cuse | May 19, 2009 4:35 PM

Considering how psycho-stalker-fan those dudes were, particularly the one guy in the front, I thought Sam handled it pretty well and played it cool.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 5:10 PM

@ Anon (3:55) - you are completely right! That is definitely the tune I meant. I was fairly confident that I hadn't heard it before (mostly because the tempo was so different than most of the other songs from last night).

Thanks a lot for the tip.

Posted by MC Neon Cell Gap | May 19, 2009 5:13 PM

I can't believe he played "In Your Own Time", I'm not officially crushed i couldn't make it.

Posted by nate | May 19, 2009 5:55 PM

where the stalker guys @ Other Music today too? I think I saw them, and they must of been worse @ the actual concerts...ugh

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 1:26 AM

The Mon night show is up at playedlastnight already, but it says Sun is "unavailable." That sucks. Wonder if it's b/c he flubbed so many times. On Monday, did he stop and restart during a bunch of songs b/c he screwed up and/or completely forgot the lyrics? That actually happened several times on Sunday, but I thought it was kind of novel since he played it off so cool and nonchalant.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 9:36 AM

The opening band on the 19th (partyface? used lions?) don't know their name, don't really care because they were so aweful. I was offended by how bad they sucked. thanks to sam for the grand slam that made me forget about them till now.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 11:15 AM

totally agree with 11:15 AM. was truly painful - and because the theater was so small it would have been totally rude to walk out.

Posted by one glass | May 20, 2009 11:31 AM

Sun night's show is not going to be made available on playedlastnight, fyi.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 2:18 PM

Communion Cups and Someone's Coat
Rooster Moans
Morning
Broken Spinning Wheel
Sinning Hands
Naked As We Came
Mouth of the River (new tune)
Passing Afternoon
Trapeze Swinger

Encore:
Such Great Heights
Two Hungry Blackbirds

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2009 11:48 AM

So i sat in the front on monday, but i definitely was not a "clapper". I was enjoying the heck out of the differnt version of boy with a coin and it was pretty hard to with the offbeat clapping. No the clappers were not at the in store.

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2009 9:27 PM

You cannot hear the clapping from the 05/18/09 show in "Boy with a Coin" - Thanks for the editing...

Posted by Anonymous | May 28, 2009 9:32 PM