Posted in music on May 18, 2009

"leonard is cooler than you are" [Anonymous]

Leonard Cohen @ Radio City Music Hall (iloveupstate)
Leonard Cohen

This. Show. Was. Absolutely. Fucking. Phenomenal.

This is a man that loves New York, and loves Radio City. The show started at 8:00 and ended at 11:25, with a 12-minute intermission. 3 plus hours, 3 encores, and major MAJOR appreciation and gratitude to Leonard for putting on his best show yet in New York. [Anon 4:17AM]

The comment above refers to the first of two shows Leonard Cohen played at NYC's Radio City Music Hall this weekend (Saturday, May 16th and Sunday, May 17th). He played a nearly idential set both nights -- set lists, and videos from the shows, below.

The shows came three months after Leonard's show at the Beacon Theater which marked the 74 year old's triumphant return to touring the United States.

"The RCH show was superior to the Beacon as the band played as a much tighter unit. Both were extremely great but I prefer the grand stage at RCHMH to the Beacon anyhow.

Best $70 I've spent in a long long time. Seriously one of the best concert experiences in the last 10 years for me." [smack]

In April, LC was one of the headliners at the Coachella Festival in Indio, CA. Upcoming dates included Canada, Boston and Denver soon. Then he plays Europe and parts of Asia this summer. All scheduled dates, along with more Radio City stuff, below...

leonard cohen live in new york 16/5/09 (with guy in the crowd singing along...)

Leonard Cohen May 16th @ Radio City set list (Anon 4:17AM):

Suzanne
The Sisters of Mercy
Take This Waltz
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
I'm Your Man
A Thousand Kisses Deep (spoken word)
Democracy
So Long, Marianne
First We Take Manhattan. Then We Take Berlin
Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will
Closing Time

Closing Time by Leonard Cohen

Leonard Cohen "In My Secret Life"

Leonard Cohen - 2009 Tour Dates
Sep 12 Madrid, Spain Palacio de Deportes de la Comunidad de Madrid
Sep 13 Granada, Spain Coliseo Atarfe
Sep 15 Zaragoza, Spain Pabellon Principe Felipe
Sep 17 Bilbao, Spain Bilbao Exhibition Centre
Sep 21 Barcelona, Spain Palau Sant Jordi
Sep 24 Tel Aviv, Israel Ramat Gan Stadium

Great show, but I went to both and think Beacon was better simply because it is a way smaller venue and felt much more intimate. Nothing wrong with this Saturday's show at all - just prefer the Beacon to RCMH.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:57 AM

decided not to go last night, kinda feel foolish

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 11:59 AM

Anon 11:57 I agree completely as anyone who ACTUALLY went to both shows would attest to.

I posted this in the other thread in response to Anon 4:17's comment above the other night

"You mean the second best recent show yet in New York. This show was fucking great but nowhere near as good as The Beacon show obviously. The intimacy as well as the sound made that show one for the ages. And yes i was at both."

Smack's comment above was in response to mine. I would bet any amount of money smack was not at the Beacon show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 12:01 PM

Motherlover was the second best idea they have had. We all know what the first one was.

Man, can you guys argue something more useless?

Last night was fantastic. Why bother getting esoteric? Y'all sound liek the Comic Book Guy....

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 12:08 PM

couldn't bring myself to go to RCMH after seeing him at the beacon. didn't want anything to cloud my memory of the amazing beacon show. that said, i'm kicking myself for not seeing him again. best show i've ever seen.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 12:09 PM

There should be an "I Tried to Leave You" and a "Whither Thou Goest" on the 5/17 setlist, too - I believe the setlists were exactly the same. Also, what's listed as "Ring the Bell" was Leonard reciting lines from "Anthem"...and the "poem" on the first night was LC's recitation of the "Thousand Kisses Deep" lyrics with synth accompaniment.

Exact setlists notwithstanding, both nights were utterly superb - it felt like a privilege to be there. And night two was perhaps charged with a little extra emotion - during his "Whither Thou Goest" goodnights, Leonard made a point to mention that he "might not be passing this way again." If not, what a goodbye. Fantastic.

Posted by tom | May 18, 2009 12:13 PM

I was at the Beacon show and I didn't even think about going to Radio City. You knew the sets were going to be the same and honestly, if you were there, you know that there is no way in hell anything could top the feeling of that first show. Leonard is the man...still.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 12:18 PM

Ugh.
Leonard Cohen fans can be so tiresome when they get in pissing matches about who saw the "better" show, who's followed him longer, etc. What a bunch of windbags!

Posted by iheartleonardcohen | May 18, 2009 1:20 PM

1:20pm This one is not even a pissing match. It's not even a fair fight. There is no argument here. The only people who think the shows this weekend were better are the unlucky ones who did not get to the Beacon.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 1:30 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Windbag!

Posted by iheartleonardcohen | May 18, 2009 1:36 PM

No problem, loser

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 1:48 PM

Where's the idiotic "meh" comment to make this thread complete?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 1:59 PM

Mehnard Cohen.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 2:08 PM

Wrong again 12:01 Tuck Fard. I was at Beacon show as well as the Swan Valley show in February--and trust me, last night was the best show of the three. Tom sums it up well when he references the Whither thou Goest goodnight. The electric buzz roaming in the room during that part of the show was unreal. Compare that to the throngs of tardy assholes making their way to their $700 seats while talking on their mobile during Dance Me to the End of Love at the Beacon. Do you not remember that cluster fuck? btw-Kudos to ticketmaster for getting the word out on the 8:00 prompt start.

Too bad you missed it...pay up

Posted by smack | May 18, 2009 3:22 PM

"Compare that to the throngs of tardy assholes making their way to their $700 seats while talking on their mobile during Dance Me to the End of Love at the Beacon."

it was an earlier show during the week and some people have jobs. yea i really wanted to miss the first 2 songs after looking forward to the show for weeks. dick

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 3:44 PM

Man...who ever knew that old people with boring taste in music could get so bitchy with each other online?

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 3:55 PM

Listen-if you need to proclaim the Beacon as the best show ever even though you missed Dance me to... and The Future, in order to mitigate your own sense of distress for parting with all that cash for the Beacon show when RCMH was right around the corner at a better price, then do it. Next time, skip the pre-show drinks at the Candle and get there on time you beautiful loser.

Posted by smack | May 18, 2009 4:00 PM

You can be sure most people commenting on this site are not old people and so what if they were. You're probably more boring than anyone I recently encountered.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:07 PM

smack, you are dumb.

i actually sat in the last row in the upper tier at the beacon, and paid face value for my ticket. hopefully you parted with a lot of cash though, since you seem like a douchebag.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:26 PM

"i actually sat in the last row in the upper tier at the beacon."

and that's where the sound was superior to RCMH?

you are both deaf and dumb

Listen up-Smack is rich and beautiful. L.C. and I tag teamed the Webb Sisters last night after the show. Now get back to work-I'll have a tall, skinny, caramel macchiato in a grande cup-chop chop.

Posted by smack | May 18, 2009 4:34 PM

3:22 you are an complete fool. You judge a concert better because there were not people heading to their seats after the show had started? Hahaha

Give me a break. Sorry i judge a concert in other ways like say sound quality and intimacy which The Beacon beats Radio City by a country mile.

Oh and you mentioned something about electricity in the room. Yeah I am sure everyone can imagine how the Beacon, being the first show in North America that the man had played in years could seriously be lacking in electricity.

Saturday night's show just did not measure up on any of those elements. Still a great night and honestly I would see Leonard 1000 times but the show a few months ago was just out of the ordinary. Sorry for those who missed it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:38 PM

Hey 4:38-you are an ass wipe. You and your Jackass friends walking in late, yapping on your mobiles as you make your way to your $750 seat while looking for your bro's from the office makes for a real intimate setting. Sorry Saturday's show wasn't doing it for you--I am only saying that last night's show was better than the Beacon and Perth.

Too bad you missed it. (and the nearly 10% of the Beacon show too while heading up to the nosebleeds sucka).

Posted by smack | May 18, 2009 4:52 PM

I was there last night. If I could have I would have gone to Saturdays and the Beacon show.

Why can't people just appreciate the fact that they were even there and he was great? It's like high school in here.

His farewell did get me all misty, I feel lucky enough to have seen him once.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 4:54 PM

Anyone else think that the sax player sucked balls? The guy would be more appropriate backing up Hall and Oats than Lenny. Every other musician was demure while this tool bounced back and forth during any tune with a beat. Not to mention the metrosexual fashion clashed with the dapper duds on everyone else.

Amazing show, but that dude was a cheese dick.

Posted by GrandPah | May 18, 2009 5:01 PM

"the Beacon, being the first show in North America that the man had played in years"

He played about 50 shows in Canada last year, tbh. But whatever, both shows (the Beacon and the first RCMH) were great in their own right. And yes, setlists might be (almost) identical, but that's not the point.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:07 PM

Definitely not as impressed as many of you were. The adult contemporary/smooth jazz/light FM arrangements (especially on "Bird on a Wire") ruined it for me as well as the people who exploded every time NYC was mentioned in a song. There were some great moments ("Chelsea Hotel," "Sisters of Mercy" and "Hallelujah") but I didn't pay money to hear the Webb Sisters or the other back-up singer take over at any point.

Posted by TWB | May 18, 2009 5:18 PM

None of these shows were the best show if he replaced "anal sex" with "casual sex" during "The Future" like he did Saturday. WEAK.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:26 PM

"He played about 50 shows in Canada last year

Since when did Canada count for anything? Don't be a douchebag like this guy smack who was so not at the Beacon show.

What is really funny is I think i remember in the comments section,when the RCMH shows were announced, someone saying how they could not wait to see the bitter people who got shut out of the Beacon commenting how these shows were better.

That person was wise.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 5:34 PM

Canada counts for something considering he played more shows in his home country (including very small towns) than in the mighty US of A. So idk, feels great to be Canadian.

Posted by Anonymous | May 18, 2009 6:39 PM

I thought the show sucked. The show was boring and the audience was falling asleep. I am very disappointed. What a waste of money.

Posted by wingwalker77 | May 18, 2009 9:34 PM

"...who was so not at the Beacon show." What are you an 11 year old girl? Who speaks like that?

Why do you think he was not at the show? You act paranoid in your need for validation. Do you conduct yourself in other aspects of your life? Leonard Cohen may not be good for your neuroses 5:34.

Posted by wing ding | May 18, 2009 10:49 PM

I went to both shows at RCMH and I was just blown away. Ok, yeah I agree - the sax player was a bit too jazzed for my liking - he kept bouncing around and it was annoying so I just blocked him out. To be honest, I didn't pay much attention to anything but Leonard. I've been listening to him since I was a kid and to finally see him in person was just amazing - even with the identical set lists. Saturday's crowd was definitely more laid back and rowdy than Sunday's, but Sunday was definitely more emotionally charged. Thanks for posting the videos!

Posted by anon | May 19, 2009 12:12 AM

The sound at these shows was phenomenally awful! Worst sound ever!

Posted by Todd P | May 19, 2009 12:22 AM

How about you guys stop arguing about which show was the greatest and instead talk about how he's planning to play in Israel and entertain apartheid? Really unfortunate as LC is an awesome artist and supposedly a "humanist," yet going to Israel to perform at Ramat Gan stadium despite the boycott call that is out there (www.pacbi.org).

Ramat Gan stadium meanwhile - built on the ruins of a Palestinian village destroyed just 4 or 5 yrs earlier in 1948 - is a great place to sing about peace and reconciliation lol...

Posted by BK2u | May 19, 2009 11:14 AM

"Since when did Canada count for anything?"

I guess it counts for something to Leonard as he is a Canadian and lives in Montreal much of the year.

Always nice to see Americans showing what they're truly all "aboot" with comments like these, eh?

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2009 11:32 AM

Leonard is old and boring: at least Depeche Mode still has a bit of an edge, with the singer going into withdrawal after his wife made off with his heroin stash and the first leg of the tour having to be cancelled. Now that's rock and roll!

Posted by Dr. Benway | May 19, 2009 11:40 AM

Leonard Cohen New Images - Radio City Music Hall
This guy is awesome!

Posted by tommy lei | May 19, 2009 5:09 PM

I was just in NY and thought the people were actualy getting NICE! May be I was wrong

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2009 11:58 AM