Posted in metal | music | pictures on May 12, 2009

photos by Zach Dilgard, words by Black Bubblegum

Mastodon

Mastodon, Kylesa, and Intronaut were back for round two on May 10th at Music Hall of Williamsburg, one night after Irving Plaza. As advertised, the showpiece for the evening was the band's new album Crack The Skye, in it's entirety and in order with an accompanying video show. Until that point, I fell into the sub-section of Mastodon fans that believe the new album is a bit overwrought and uninteresting, figuring the tunes would be given new life on stage. That was not the case, and even though portions of the Crack The Skye live set were impressive, my opinion of the record hasn't changed.

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for the new material, their live show is better than ever. Mastodon may have seemed alot less comfortable on stage with the new material, but it was well-executed, and the signature Mastodon-ian big volume and theatrics were still present. In addition, the Crack The Skye set emphasized some surprisingly impressive vocals by drummer Brann Dailor and vocal harmonizing by Troy Sanders (bass) & Brent Hinds (guitar)... a big compliment considering the show I was just at on friday. The new material was followed by a set of highlights from the remainder of their discography ("Iron Tusk", "March Of The Fire Ants", "Capillarian Crest", others). The full set list is below.

Intronaut (who I missed... sadface) and Kylesa opened the show, with Kylesa drawing from their awesome album Static Tensions and closing with "Hollow Severer" from 2006's Time Will Fuse It's Worth. If you haven't caught Kylesa and their crusty-doom-ridden-dueling-drum attack, you have two additional chances in the coming months.... Cake Shop with Stinking Lizaveta, Unearthly Trance and Darsombra on May 30th and Maxwell's on May 27th with Wetnurse and The Nolan Gate (tickets here).

More Mastodon & Kylesa pics below...

Kylesa....

Mastodon....

Mastodon

After this show I ran to Death By Audio to catch Frodus.

Irving Plaza pics, Intronaut included, HERE.

None of this looks fabricated or cliched. It is all very original and genuine. Rock and roll is awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2009 2:13 PM

eat a bag of dicks.
crack the skye ownz.

Posted by suckaduck | May 12, 2009 2:13 PM

Damn... I've never seen a barrier at MHOW before. That's pretty crazy. Have they done this at other shows there?

Posted by wembley | May 12, 2009 2:14 PM

wish I could have gone!! But my copy of Crack The Sky on vinyl just came so I'm going to blast that, light up and pretend I was thee!

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2009 2:21 PM

yeah. wtf?! that album is amazing. live it thrashed! what a great show. almost 2 hrs and not a moment of lull

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2009 2:24 PM

Actually, it was more like 90 minutes and agreed Crack The Skye is boring.

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2009 2:25 PM

I really liked Crack the Skye a lot before this show, but upon seeing it performed live it totally changed my opinion. I now think this is a GREAT set of music. The live show totally brings it home. Un-fuckin'-real!

I must say though that the small selection of Blood Mountain tunes was terrific as well. If Mastodon stays on the road they are on, we won't be getting any bad music from them any time soon.

Kylesa was great. Intronaut were really cool. Their rhythm section is superb.

Posted by Ron | May 12, 2009 2:37 PM

Oh, and great pictures BTW

Posted by Ron | May 12, 2009 2:41 PM

Kylesa owns Mastodon

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2009 2:48 PM

Kylesa blew my mind. Two freaking drummers!? Sheer dominance

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2009 2:52 PM

I'm an NYCer stuck in Switzerland and flying to London to see Mastodon destroy in 4 weeks. These pics are getting me more than a wee bit excited.

Whoever thinks Crack The Skye doesn't smoke, I feel sorry for you. I only listen to it on 10 mile runs and invariably stop in the middle of vast spaces of land to play air guitar. It's probably the most triumphant I feel on a regular basis.

Posted by Carl | May 12, 2009 6:34 PM

too many shots of the hand in focus, not the face.

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2009 10:39 PM

I feel sorry for people who think this shit is the shit.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2009 2:06 AM

Really? You feel sorry for me for enjoying music? Now I am feeling sorry for myself. Thank's a lot. My life is so sad. Mastodon will destroy whatever fruity performance art folky pretentious electronic BULLSHIT you think is the shit. That is a fact.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2009 9:15 AM

Today Is The Day > Mastodon

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2009 10:29 AM

That's just it, 9:15...for people like you it all comes down to anger & aggression...and whomever is the angriest or most aggressive is the coolest/best. If we were talking about boxing or MMA, you might have a point...but what any of that has to do with music, and how good or bad it is, is beyond me.

Enjoy your simple life.

Posted by Anonymous | May 13, 2009 1:16 PM

Hey douchebags....

Different music effects different people in different ways. That being said there sure is a lot of fruity performance art folky pretentious electronic BULLSHIT out there...

Mastodon > Vampire weekend

Anonymous 10:29 = Wrong

Posted by Ron | May 13, 2009 2:08 PM

1:16, Maybe I should clarify. Mastodon will destroy whatever fruity performance art folky pretentious electronic BULLSHIT you think is the shit BECAUSE THEY ARE SUPERB MUSICIANS WHO ARE MASTERS AT THEIR CRAFT. You decided it would be a good idea to comment negatively on three bands that you obviously have no idea about to get a rise out of people. I'm far too busy to comment about bands I don't know/care/like. Am I really the one with the simple life? How do I all of a sudden become a fan of cage fighting and shit? Tell me, what IS the shit. Personally, I feel sorry for people that can't find things in life to enjoy. Feeling "sorry" for somebody for enjoying a band is just pathetic and elitist.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 9:58 AM

VoiVod were great at irving plaza.opps! I meant Mastodon.

Posted by Anonymous | May 14, 2009 2:33 PM

Keyboardist for Mastodon was Derek Mitchka, from the mighty Cream Abdul Babar.

Posted by SpiderWisdom | May 15, 2009 10:48 PM

yooooooooooooooooooooooooo anyone listen to Baroness? check out this new widget. U can preview the whole new album that comes out next month

Posted by JoFresh | November 15, 2009 8:37 PM

Hey, Can I export your photo and implement that on my personal web site?Thx, btw try http://goo.gl/kpsrj - good news ;)

Posted by Susan Evans | January 9, 2013 3:44 PM