Posted in metal | music on May 29, 2009

Tony Iommi and Ozzy Osbourne

"It is with great regret that I had to resort to legal action against my long term partner, Tony Iommi, but after three years of trying to resolve this issue amicably, I feel I have no other recourse. As of the mid-1990's, after constant and numerous changes in band members, the brand of "Black Sabbath" was literally in the toilet and Tony Iommi (touring under the name Black Sabbath) was reduced to performing in clubs. Since 1997 when Geezer, Bill and myself rejoined the band, Black Sabbath has returned to its former glory as we headlined sold-out arenas and amphitheatres playing to upwards of 50,000 people at each show around the world. We worked collectively to restore credibility and bring dignity back to the name "Black Sabbath" which lead to the band being inducted into the UK and US Rock & Roll Hall of Fames in 2005 and 2006, respectively. Throughout the last 12 years, it was my management representatives who oversaw the marketing and quality control of the "Black Sabbath" brand through OZZFEST, touring, merchandising and album reissues. The name "Black Sabbath" now has a worldwide prestige and merchandising value that it would not have had by continuing on the road it was on prior to the 1997 reunion tour. Tony, I am so sorry it's had to get to this point by me having to take this action against you. I don't have the right to speak for Geezer and Bill, but I feel that morally and ethically the trademark should be owned by the four of us equally. I hope that by me taking this first step that it will ultimately end up that way. We've all worked too hard and long in our careers to allow you to sell merchandise that features all our faces, old Black Sabbath album covers and band logos, and then you tell us that you own the copyright. We're all in our 60's now. The Black Sabbath legacy should live on long after we have all gone. Please do the right thing." -Ozzy
According to the NY Post, "Osbourne is suing Iommi for a 50 percent interest in the 'Black Sabbath' trademark, along with a portion of Iommi's profits from use of the name", and claiming that "guitarist Tony Iommi illegally claimed sole ownership of the band's name, in a filing with the US Patent and Trademark Office. "

Meanwhile, Tony Iommi is currently touring with the rest of Black Sabbath (the Dio years) as Heaven and Hell. They hit NYC at the end of August.

Fuck Ozzy.

Posted by a | May 29, 2009 5:51 PM

I had to crack up at "reduced to performing in clubs" like that was the equivalent of becoming the circus geeks who bites the head of chickens*.

"Reduced to Performing in Clubs" could be the name of this blog!

*or bats

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 5:57 PM

man, I'm happy I saw Black Sabbath with Ozzy at Ozzfest a few years ago because it looks like those days are over.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 6:02 PM

no more Ozzy/sabbath reunions.... sucks

Posted by Ward | May 29, 2009 6:10 PM

Shocker. Ozzy can write a complete sentence. Who knew? Oh, it was Sharon and a lawyer. OK, sorry.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 6:25 PM

First off, fuck Ozzy.

Second off, if he wants everyone to own it collectively why is he suing for 50% of the rights?

Third off, why do this now when they are touring as Heaven & Hell and not during the Headless Cross era?

Fourth off, fuck Ozzy.

Posted by noamjamski | May 29, 2009 6:36 PM

Who would have ever thought that the man Ozzy denigrated as his replacement, calling him Ronnie "The Garden Gnome" Dio, would end up as the front man with the cred in the Sabbath story? Ozzy has become a zombified corporate puppet doing whatever he has to do to earn greedy Sharon more money to spend on whatever crap it is she spends it on. I was surprised that the the Sabbath II version (Heaven & Hell) would be as crackingly sharp and powerful as they are at this point, and Sharon is obviously in a snit that the Dio version of Sabbath is becoming THE version of Sabbath (under whatever name) for a whole new generation of hard rock and metal fans. It's not Dio or Tony Iommi's fault that Ozzy has blown his mystique and shredded his legend: it's his greedy, disgusting wife's. You should have finished her when you had the chance, Ozzy, because now she's finished you. Sharon got her revenge.

Posted by Dr. Benway | May 29, 2009 6:52 PM

"I don't have the right to speak for Geezer and Bill" = "I don't have the physical ability to form sentences in my brain and then move my lips to articulate them as phenomes"

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 7:02 PM

Wow, what an unfortunate, money-hungry, tasteless cunt Sharon Osbourne is. Poor Ozzy. This is just sad and pathetic.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 7:02 PM

Sharon Osbourne and Gene Simmons would make quite a couple

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 7:03 PM

Sharon was the worst thing to happen to Ozzy. As much as I'd like to see an original lineup Sabbath show, it'd be too hard to take Ozzy seriously. What a joke he's become.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 7:14 PM

Fuck You Noam Jamski! Grow a chode!

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 7:23 PM

Heaven and Hell SUCKS. they SUCK!

Posted by wingwalker77 | May 29, 2009 7:24 PM

Tony and Geezer already ruined Black Sabbath by adding Dio many years ago. HE sucks, and H and H sucks.

LONG LIVE THE KING! - OZZ

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 7:30 PM

I agree with everything Ozzy is saying.

And Heaven and Hell does suck ass. It really is a shame to see the brand name Black Sabbath fall. Dio was an embarrassing mistake. He only added a gayness that can never be erased from the Sabbath legacy. Death to DIO and his god awful music!

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 7:36 PM

This story makes my blood boil..Ozzy thinks Just because his heyday in Sabbath can stop them from running with something they were already doing all through out the 80s and 90s.
He's Just upset that Heaven and Hell is doing more stuff productive musically than he is with his Variety shows..What a fucking boob
Ozzy hasn't done anything worthwhile in 20 years except RE join Black Sabbath..
Please..
Give DIO some credit..The guy saved BLACK SABBATH back in the day and he is doing it again with Heaven And Hell!!
Ozzy is got his head jammed so far up Sharron Osbournes asshole he's now a puppet

Geezer said it best..
"If we were to do another Black Sabbath Lp with Ozzy we would still be working on the first song"

The new Heaven and Hell Lp is amazing.

Posted by Jim | May 29, 2009 7:44 PM

Never mind Dio: Jim Dandy Mangrum of Black Oak Arkansas has tons more rock cred that poor ol' Ozzy does at this point.

Posted by Dr. Benway | May 29, 2009 7:54 PM

i think ozzy being on reality tv and becoming a total dweeb is more harmful to the 'black sabbath' brand than anything tony ever did.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 8:09 PM

Woke up late one night and couldn't sleep: flicked on the tube and they had Heaven & Hell on playing "I" (from Dehumanizer) live at Radio City Music Hall. The band sounded so good, Iommi so fiery on guitar and Dio so intense on vocals, that I immediately became a convert (I had always semi-avoided the Dio-led version of Sabbath out of some misplaced loyalty to Ozzy). This jolt woke me up and made me realize that these guys *without* Ozzy are still a sizzling outfit that deserves a large audience. So I hope it drives greedy, fame-starved Sharon even more crazy that it is Heaven & Hell with Ronnie James Dio singing that is the relevant metal band from that camp in this new millennium, while her husband, with much help from her, has become a sad, sad joke.

Posted by Dr. Benway | May 29, 2009 8:16 PM

When people talk about sabbath they always go for the Ozzy Dio debate. But truth be told, the sound of sabbath is all about Tony Iommi. The vocals are a great compliment to the sound, in both cases and they both bring different things to the table.

But in the end this is just kind of sad.

Imagine if everyone who'd ever left a band still got royalties from that band? That's nuts!

plus if iommi actually holds a trademark then this is just going to end up costing ozzy a lot of money for nothing.

also...

LONG LIVE DIO!

Posted by :: smo :: | May 29, 2009 8:33 PM

the brand of "Black Sabbath" was literally in the toilet

LITERALLY.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 8:49 PM

Well put Jim and Dr.Benway.
The Dio Sabbath may not be what people think of when they think of Black Sabbath, but its 75% of the band.
The Ozzy solo stuff is nothing too wonderful either with Bark at the Moon. So Ozzy almost left Sharon years ago? He must of had some close help writing that statement that he will regret I hope.
He was OK with the different version with Dio for 20 or more years. Not a good way to end so many years playing together to air this stirred up lawsuit against band mates in a odd, but well written statement.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 8:58 PM

"So Ozzy almost left Sharon years ago?"

um, he almost killed her years ago. by strangulation. in 1988. i remember following it closely in the pages of Kerrang! magazine. ah, those were the days... how i cry for my lost youth.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 10:15 PM

DIOS A FAG. WORST SINGER EVAAAAAAAA

Posted by Dios brother | May 29, 2009 11:02 PM

DIO>FAG

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 11:03 PM

Heaven and Hell is a joke. A reallly bad joke for Ozzy to laugh at.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 11:04 PM

Anyone that says they like Dio shouldn't have access to music. crappy crappy singer, crappy fag>

Posted by da troof | May 29, 2009 11:18 PM

Dio-era Sabbath might not be the best, but it still is better than anything from Ozzy's solo years.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2009 11:46 PM

^^^ Nothing could be farther from the truth! Ever heard Diary of a Madman? Blizzard of Oz? Bark at the Moon? Ever heard a little song called Crazy Train?

fat and smelly metal heads like Dio, but that doesn't make him good.

Posted by Dios brother | May 29, 2009 11:51 PM

I'm Ronnie James Dio and I sing in 5 octaves and I make glorious music for fags cause fags be the only fans I have. Will you listen to my music before you judge me? If you don't like it, you must be A REAL FUCKING METAL HEAD.

Posted by R J DIO | May 29, 2009 11:56 PM

Blizzard of Ozz was a good album, but anything with Jake E Less or Brad Gillis playing sucked. Bark at the Moon? Crappy album. I do like Zack's playing, but he still can't touch Iommi.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 12:22 AM

DIO>LAME

DIO>LAME

DIO>LAME

Posted by Steve Harris | May 30, 2009 12:45 AM

dios brother, r j dio, steve harris = same person

loser

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 12:54 AM

DIO RULES

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 1:47 AM

Black Sabbath, LOL

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 2:02 AM

Tony Iommi has had more influence on heavy metal than any other single person EVER. Think about that for a sec and then SHUT THE FUCK UP, OZZIE FANBOYS.
At least Tony has consistently been focused on making music while Ozzie has been off making bullshit TV shows.

Posted by Jimi | May 30, 2009 10:35 AM

Death to Dio!

Posted by The good, the fag, the retarded | May 30, 2009 10:43 AM

Iommi? consistently making Crap.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 10:45 AM

Dio, Appice, Iommi, Butler = bad music

chode.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 10:47 AM

DIO>LAME

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 10:52 AM

I saw their last tour with Dio. It was embarrassing. Ozzy is right. I can't believe he failed to mention Dio Sucks in his press statement. Ozzy's too much of a gentleman.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 11:08 AM

DIO>FAG

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 11:33 AM

THE VORTEX ONE OF THE BEST NEW BANDS IN THE UK

Posted by Al | May 30, 2009 11:51 AM

I like the way anyone who can actually sing is now labelled a "fag," as if cave man or cookie monster grunting is the only thing allowed for "real men" these days. So I guess Robert Plant, Ian Gillan, Glenn Danzig, and basically anyone with a singer's ability is a "fag" now as well. And Ozzy likes sappy ballads at least as much if not more than Dio: he's just not as good at singing them. Meanwhile, Iommi and company can keeping doing good music, and Ozzy can keep making a fool out of himself so Sharon can feed her celebrity addiction.

Posted by Dr. Benway | May 30, 2009 3:46 PM

I hear Iommi is giving both Dio and Ozzy the boot in order to steal the awesomely talented Lord Bendover from The Upper Crust for the upcoming H&H tour!

Posted by Gutter Dandy | May 30, 2009 4:07 PM

Ozzy was out of BLACK SABBATH longer than he was in Black Sabbath
fuck him

Posted by Jim | May 30, 2009 4:28 PM

Wow, Dio lame? You people don't know much, do you.

As for the lawsuit, fuck Sharon.

Posted by norm | May 30, 2009 4:40 PM

DIO -- HOLY DIVER -- EPIC METAL CLASSIC!

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 4:49 PM

OK, first off, Ozzy is nothing more than a tool controlled by his capitalistic wife. Second, Black Sabbath was great because of the song writing and originality for its time, which Ozzy had little if anything to do with. Third... HE WAS FIRED. Just listen to Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die, and you'll know why he was, aside from that I guess he was partying to much for the rest of Sabbath to handle. With all the money, fame, good press, and endorsements that family has- don't you think it's a bit caddy to sue Iommi for rights and trademarking that Ozzy really doesn't need in the first place? Tony kept the band going for decades after Ozzy was fired. Ozzy sold his soul to his capitalistic, clear channeling wife, and now is nothing more than a brain fried, washed up ape that jumps at her command. The last thing Ozzy did that was worth mentioning was Diary of a Madman, and again he probably thinks its all due to him... for sure not Randy Rhodes. Maybe him being dead is a good thing, because Sharon would probably sue him for something just as lame. I will continue to hold Black Sabbath as one of my favorite bands, but just let it be known, the music is what makes it, not Ozzy's trademark voice. When all is said and done, Ozzy is Ozzy because of Black Sabbath, and if you ask me, the prick should be paying royalties to Tony, Geezer and Bill because without them, the name Ozzy would only be synonymous with the former shortstop for the St. Louis Cardinals.

Posted by Johnny St | May 30, 2009 5:03 PM

this never would have happened if Iommi had stuck with Jethro Tull

Posted by donn | May 30, 2009 5:14 PM

Dio's not a fag for having a good voice. He's a fag for sucking at Rock and Roll! How dare you associate him with RObert Plant and Ian Gillian. Not even in the same league.. Dio's boring, lame, uncreative, and hardly a Rocking singer. That's why everyone wants Ozzy back, and you keep writing in posts about your love for Dio under different names. It's all one fag folks! Don't take the bait. DIO WAS NEVER COOL.

OZZY=GOD.

Posted by the blogger behind the blogger | May 30, 2009 6:22 PM

I like Dio.

Steve Harris? that's a no talent Faggot!

Posted by Mikey | May 30, 2009 6:40 PM

I dunno, the first time I heard Dio was him singing "Man On The Silver Mountain" by Rainbow, which still stands up as a pretty rocking tune. As I said earlier, I always avoided post-Ozzy Sabs out of some kind of loyalty to the Ozzman, but have come to realize that at this point, Dio is a better fit with Tony and Geezer than Ozzy would be. And Holy Diver *is* an 80s hard-rock classic. Ozzy can blame his celebrity-addicted, money-grubbing wife for what he has become today.
He had the chance to save himself and fell just short. He was so out of it when he tried to off her that he would have been out of jail long ago and still have a legend and a mystique intact. Instead, he's just a clown.

Posted by Dr. Benway | May 30, 2009 7:18 PM

The best Sabbath was the Ozzy years. Dio is cool too. Mob Rules and Heaven and Hell rock!

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 7:57 PM

Dio's solo stuff is so much better than Ozzy's, it's not even a competition. Ozzy's Sabbath stuff was good, until the last few years, but I don't really think you can make a case Dio isn't Sabbath.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 8:07 PM

Dio invented the goat horn symbol. for that he gets a life pass, regardless if he was to decide to Travesty.

and it's Ian Gillan, not Gillian.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 8:20 PM

"Ozzy hasn't done anything worthwhile in 20 years except RE join Black Sabbath."

sad but true. well put 744.

Posted by Anonymous | May 30, 2009 8:40 PM

OZZY IS BLACK SABBATH.

Posted by Ward | May 31, 2009 9:36 AM

I love No More Tears. It's so great! Zack Wylde kills it too. He is a fantastic talent. No More Tears was a moment in our lives to be cherished.

Dio? Crap.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2009 9:56 AM

I hear that Sharon Osbourne is suing Randy Rhodes for having the audacity to die and kill Ozzy's solo career at the same time.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2009 1:07 PM

DIO > great singer with legendary metal band Heaven and Hell.

OZZY > Married to a greedy bitch who pimps him out to do stupid TV commercials so she can spend more of his money.

Posted by Anonymous | May 31, 2009 1:13 PM

Im actually sick of Ozzy.Fuck him.
Im so sick of him and his family that im rooting for dio and heaven and hell.

Posted by Anonymous | June 1, 2009 8:44 AM

Ozzy?

Isn't he the reality show guy with the fat kids?

Iommi never disgraced metal like that.

Posted by Anonymous | June 1, 2009 6:16 PM

If anyone says that Dio's singing is crap & Ozzy's is great is tone deaf! The Ozzy Sabbath that Dio sang on Live Evil - blows what Ozzy did with it away!

And everyone knows - Black Sabbath is Tony Iommi. Tony & Bill started the band - and as far as I'm concerned - considering Bill doesn't want to do it anymore - then it's Tony's baby. He deserves sole ownership. Who kept it going through all the different singers in the 80's? Not Ozzy! But Tony!

And as far as I'm concerned - the Dio years allowed Tony to be more creative in his writing and his playing. He couldn't expand with Ozzy - because Ozzy's vocal range isn't that great.

And, I don't know about anyone else. The last time I saw an Ozzfest - Ozzy's voice cracked so bad - they had to play the vocal track from the recording of No More Tears to cover up Ozzy's voice. Even Zakk had to help, because Ozzy's voice was gone.

All the times I've ever seen Dio - I've never heard him crack once. And, he can still hit all the notes!

All you numb-nuts that talk crap about Dio - should go stick your head back in the sand!

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2009 12:13 AM

Ozzy reads his lyrics from a teleprompter..that should tell you something of his actual musical ability. He's become a clown puppet for the media. Nothing more.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2009 12:47 PM

Saw the Heaven and Hell show televised this weekend. The band is great, but I can't help but compare some of the signature tunes to the versions Dio did with his Last in Line era band. Vivian Campbell was ridiculous. When is that coming out on DVD????

Posted by Anonymous | July 20, 2009 3:20 PM

DIO = GOD

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2009 10:15 AM

Man, I used to love heavy metal when I was fourteen

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2009 10:19 AM

Heavy Metal is FOREVER!!!!!

"LOOK OUT! THE SUN IS TURNING BLACK, BLACK!"

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2009 10:36 AM

"Man, I used to love heavy metal when I was fourteen."

But now you're a grown-up and you love TWENT WEZNOR instead!

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2009 10:39 AM

10:19 said: "Man, I used to love heavy metal when I was fourteen."

Ahhh, don't worry. I went through that stage as well -- the "I'm too old for metal" stage. You'll be back when you realize that Lady GaGa ain't all that hip after all. DIO is far cooler than Lady GaGa.

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2009 10:41 AM

THE BEST SABBATH IS OZZY SABBATH HANDS DOWN.SABBOTAGE IS THEIR PEAK IF YOU TRUELY ADMIRE SABBATH.OZZYS VOICE ON THE WRIT IS JUST FUCKING HAUNTING.HEAVEN N HELL ARE FUCKING SPINAL TAP IN THE REAL.OZZY HAS SUCKED BAD SINCE DIARY OF A MAD MAN,BUT IS VOICE IS THE ONLY ONE FOR SABBATH.OZZY IS FRIED IN THE BRAIN CELL DEPARTMENT,BUT THAT IS LEFT OVER FROM ACID OF THE SIXTIES AND SEVENTIES MIXED WITH SOME SECONOL TULINOL QUADLUDES COKE HEROIN AND ALCAHOL.HE LIVED IT MAN,ALL THOSE SONGS HAND OF DOOM,KILLING YOURSELF TO LIVE AND ON AND ON.SABBATH ENDED IN I975 FOR ALL PURPOSES.SABBOTAGE WAS THE LAST GOOD SABBATH ALBUM.HEAVEN AND HELL ARE NAMED CORRECTLY,BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT BLACK SABBATH.HEAVEN AND HELL ARE 1980s BULLSHIT METAL.LONG LIVE SABBATH ERA 1970 TO 1975,THE REAL SHIT...

Posted by Anonymous | September 18, 2009 6:14 PM

Ozzy rocks!

Posted by emo girl | October 18, 2009 4:10 PM

ozzy is a corporate puppet whi has the tallent of shit, a false kiddie rock singer, who is proclaimed GOD by people who masturbate to him all day long

Posted by ozzy succckksss | May 23, 2010 10:31 AM

damn ozzy, whyd you end up such a tool? why, why, why...

tony CREATED metal. just listen to his riffs, his guitar, his tuning.

i don't see a TV show with fat kids called "The Iommi's"

BUT ive seen one called "the osbournes"
not to mention the spoiled cunt sharon, where being a multimillionar isn't enough to keep you happy. fuck you ozzy, fuck you in the ass. shouldve strangled sharon while he had the chance.

you really let me down ozzy. long live DIO!!!

Posted by FUCKYOUOZZY | June 25, 2010 1:22 AM