Posted in music on May 20, 2009

Record & Tape Center (Tishon)
Record and Tape Center

It's nearly the day the music died in Park Slope.

The Record and Tape Center, a dusty, cramped record store that has occupied the same spot on Fifth Avenue, near Ninth Street, for the past 38 years, will be shuttered by May 31, the result of an eviction notice that store owner Tony Mignone said came out of the blue.

"The letter just arrived at the beginning of the month," said Mignone, who opened his store on Fifth Avenue and Sixth Street in 1965, and moved to his present location in 1971. "I've never even been late on my rent!"

According to the letter, the landlords, a family that owns several grocery stores in the neighborhood, including the Deli and Smoke Shop next door, do not want to renew the lease and will take Mignone to court if he does not clear out.
Brooklyn Bridge Realty

"If he's still there [on May 31], we'll go to court," said John Wilson, the family's lawyer. [The Brooklyn Paper] (via)

This is the saddest record store closing news I've heard in a while, even if admittedly every time I stop in the Record and Tape Center I think, "how is this place still in business?" I'm always so happy it is though..

I would have probably last stopped in if I had made it to the Park Slope 5th Avenue Street Fair (and Southpaw record fair) that happened on Sunday (but I didn't).

The Virgin Megastore in Union Square will basically be closing the same day.

WNYC's Siddhartha Mitter went NYC record shopping on the recently-passed Record Store Day. Video below...

who the fuck cares? fuck this!! digital era is here..

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 3:40 PM

sad day indeed.

home to my favorite deal in town: 20cent 45's.

Posted by b | May 20, 2009 3:48 PM

something tells me that place doesn't carry any material by Wavves

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 3:50 PM

^^^You are a tasteless, dickless wanker. This was the 2nd to last record store in Park Slope, now leaving just Music Matters to sell vinyl. If you think that digital music beats vinyl, I suggest you dispatch an armada of q-tips to your ear forthwith. Strap on your tard-o-helmet, plug in your white ear buds, crank up the Crystal Wolves, and start wanking away at your non-existent pecker while you cry cry cry...

Posted by GrandPah | May 20, 2009 3:54 PM

To be clear, it's 3:40 who lack the penis here.

Posted by GrandPah | May 20, 2009 3:56 PM

god i love that place... ive been shopping there since the late 90's... used to live across the street. tony knows his music and the place is still around due to his ebay/online sales. Great for the $1 records outside. picked up a lot of reggae singles, blue note/riverside jazz and weird new wave albums... also great classics and funk/breaks inside.

sorry completely Wavves less... although i have seen a "walking on sunshine" extended dance single there.

Posted by the truth | May 20, 2009 3:56 PM

Sad news. The landlord must have his reasons, but this seems a very abrupt and harsh way to treat a three-decade long tenant.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 4:00 PM

i lived in park slope for 5 years and never bought a thing from that place. im too old to get my fingers dirty...perhaps the 13 year old me wouldve had the time and patience to dig through that crap but from my experience there, you are very unlikely to find any hidden gems in the rubble that is this store.

the owner always played rockabilly and country yet he never heard of charlie feathers...

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 4:00 PM

the owner is cool. he may not know charlie feathers. but who knows every band right?

i went to the basement once... tons of records just stacked up.

what are they doing with all the records?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 4:03 PM

i went to the basement once... tons of records just stacked up.

what are they doing with all the records?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 4:05 PM

Bloomberg's dream of a culutre free NYC comes closer and closer every day!

Posted by nygrump | May 20, 2009 4:09 PM

whats a record store?

Posted by d | May 20, 2009 4:10 PM

"home to my favorite deal in town: 20cent 45's."

Aaaaand now their closing makes sense to me.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 4:13 PM

that sucks!

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 4:16 PM

that deli BLOWS! fuck them.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 4:17 PM

I like that new Fatoosh restaurant next door. I must say.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 4:19 PM

such a shame. I grew up in park slope and have some fond childhood memories of this store. Tony is a good guy, and I learned quite a bit from him.

I haven't been there in years though, not since my family left the slope when I was in high school

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 4:20 PM

I bought my first Kiss record there in 1979, but really... We don't drive Edsels anymore either....

Posted by Ron | May 20, 2009 4:22 PM

Vinyl is one thing but I just don't get these hipsters trying to bring back the tapes. Tapes are annoying and stupid.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 4:22 PM

I just wasted 2.50 minutes of my time watching that insipid, useless video. Yeeesh.

I've lived in the Slope all my life, and while I rarely bought anything at that store, it was always nice to see it when I walked by.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 4:27 PM

The family that's kicking him out is responsible for the fact that none of the all-night delis near me sell beer anymore. Fuck them.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 4:35 PM

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 4:52 PM

you just said "condish"...shame on you.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 5:01 PM

I love this place. I used to buy cd's here and resell them to Holy Cow which was up the street for a buck or two more.

I did keep a few here and there too.

Posted by JetRay | May 20, 2009 5:08 PM

condish!

the day zig zag records closes on avenue u is the day music will die for me...

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 5:12 PM

"i was there a few months ago and was seriously like, how does this place pay rent. i got 8 records for 21 bucks. some of the sleeves were beat up but all the records were in really good condish. shame to see them go but really its just the way of the world. bumout."

he's been there for 38 years man. his rent is probably less than the average college loan payment.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 5:22 PM

all this fucking digital stimulation! fuck!

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 5:24 PM

This is a great store. I used to go here several times a week when I lived in Park Slope. Sad.

Posted by jennifer o'connor | May 20, 2009 5:30 PM

come on. that place is a goddamn dinosaur.
i mean, let's face it people.

your nostalgia doesn't pay the bills. so shove it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 5:56 PM

Boo fucking hoo. Hopefully they'll open another cafe/bar or grocer.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 6:02 PM

That store is cool. Buy some used classical discs and head to Jackie's for a bucket of cold ones.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 8:55 PM

Funny I was wondering how it was still open just the other day as I walked passed it

Posted by Leia | May 20, 2009 9:40 PM

fuck! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 9:54 PM

I got the original press 1st Velvets album with the banana still on cover. Tony said this one isn't cheap. I said how much? He replied $10. I placed a ten on the counter and made a beat to the exit.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 10:26 PM

wow, that sucks. tony sells me my weed when i ask for a special record.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2009 10:55 PM

People still pay for music? LOL, that has about as much logic as investing in GM stock.

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2009 1:25 AM

or listening to wavves

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2009 2:23 AM

Sad to see all the record stores shutting down, doubt if there will be any left in 5 years.

Posted by Chicago Blogger | May 21, 2009 12:04 PM

"who the fuck cares? fuck this!! digital era is here.."

wow, that dude is a fucking idiot.
not all records are converted into cd's.

Posted by josh | May 21, 2009 12:07 PM

yo i personally know the habibis that own the lease to record n tape. they could make so much more money by renting out the space to someone else. prices in park slope have been sky rocketing. why should they be held captive to a few music loves nostalgia. who have to live in the present and seize your opportunities. they are people who want to make a good living not culture preservationists.

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2009 2:57 PM

my response to 12:07

who the fuck cares???????? yes, who the fuck cares about vinyl!!! it sucks! Digitalism all the way! I prefer dunkin donuts and condos over young hipster trash and an old pack rat record store. who the fuck cares?

12:07 I was clearly being sarcastic and getting a rise out of people.. I'm well aware of DA transfers and vinyl quality.. It's sad to see the store go.

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2009 4:33 PM

i wouldnt go in a place like that if u paid me. prolly get fleas. record stores are for fat old faggots anywayz. and paying for music is for suckerz. ftw yo!

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2009 9:19 PM

"Also, have you ever been in there? Tony's great and now it's going to become a fucking Dunkin Donuts or somthing"

At least I can't go on the Internet and download a donut or a blueberry flavored iced coffee from thepiratebay.org like I can any song ever in existence you wanker!

Music = worthless in 2009, get with the times or get left behind.

Posted by Anonymous | May 22, 2009 12:30 AM