Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on May 26, 2009

words and photos by Dominick Mastrangelo

The Drums

Nobody knew what was in store; not the band and certainly not those in attendance. But the first-ever show by Florida's The Drums (Jonathan Pierce of Elkland and Jacob Graham of Horse Shoes) was arguably the highlight of the final day of NYC Popfest (5/17). Playing shimmery, surf-pop with a bit of post-punk bent, The Drums charged through an all-too-brief performance that set the tone for the second half of a marathon day in which 12 bands performed at Cake Shop on the Lower East Side. There was bouncy, jubilant pop from Vermont's The Smittens and a thoughtful, stripped down set from ex-Softie Rose Melberg early on; quirkiness from Casper and The Cookies (who managed to knock out the string lights during their set) and dreamy pop of the Burning Hearts (comprised of members of Cats On Fire) later; and a raucous end to Popfest by Sweden's Suburban Kids With Biblical Names. But wedged in between was a killer seven-song salvo by The Drums who follow up their Popfest success with a show on May 30 at Union Hall with Pelle Carlberg (tix).

If you miss them, don't worry, they also have four more NYC shows at the Annex scheduled in June - the same month their debut EP, Summertime, will be released. Listen at their website. All dates, and more Popfest pictures below...

and a video...

The Drums - 2009 Tour Dates
05.17.09 @ The Cake Shop in New York, New York (DEBUT PERFORMANCE) (NYC Popfest)
05.30.09 @ Union Hall in Brooklyn, New York (w Pelle Carlberg)
06.03.09 @ The Annex in New York, New York (residency)
06.10.09 @ The Annex in New York, New York (residency)
06.17.09 @ The Annex in New York, New York (residency)
06.24.09 @ The Annex in New York, New York (residency)

Posted by bill p | May 26, 2009 2:12 PM

darn i had just missed them when i walked in

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2009 3:21 PM

they were wildly awful. a bad parody of the killers.

Posted by Jon | May 26, 2009 4:45 PM

Appropriately enough, one of the songs on their new EP (of which I have an advance copy), which sounds NOTHING like the Killers is called "Don't Be A Jerk, Jonny"!!

Not the most original band, but who is these days? I like.

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2009 5:13 PM

maybe be menat The Wake?

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2009 9:28 PM

here are TWO FREE MP3s not showing up on the EP!

“I Felt Stupid” http://www.zshare.net/audio/60104205f0c3c595
“Instruct Me” http://www.zshare.net/audio/6010432831c721c1

Posted by Clyde Erwin Barretto | May 26, 2009 9:32 PM

i thought the show was wonderful

Posted by Anonymous | May 26, 2009 11:25 PM

Not bad for the first show... Excited for the next!!

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2009 2:56 AM

>Not the most original band, but who is these days?

Here's a truly original NYC band:

BV, help us give them exposure!

Paolo from The Deli
www.thedelimagazine.com

Posted by Paolo from The Deli | May 30, 2009 10:13 AM

"I WANNA GO SURFING"?????

These guys are fucking terrible.

Posted by anonymous | June 1, 2009 12:57 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 5, 2009 8:48 AM

this band is FUN

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2009 8:32 PM

Yeah, one of the best performances that day. They are celebrating the 80's in their own way. Catchy as all get out. "Submarine" ruled.

Posted by Anonymous | June 14, 2009 4:48 PM

they are a B52s knockoff

Posted by MEHNYC | July 27, 2009 7:53 AM

just saw them at the bowery ballroom. their music is ok. but was their entire set pre- recorded?? my goodness there were many MANY times where the music didnt match what they were doing on stage

Posted by erica | July 30, 2009 1:13 AM

very nice info at this post thanks!!! i really like it

Posted by Panic Disorders | September 11, 2009 2:12 AM

very nice info at this post thanks!!! i really like it

Posted by Panic Disorders | September 11, 2009 2:12 AM

interesting post.. thanks! i like it

keep working like that

Posted by Creative Services | September 18, 2009 1:15 AM

Hello
i thought the show was wonderful.

Posted by Infection | September 22, 2009 3:34 PM

Hi friends Thanks for information !!!

Posted by Bacterial Infection Treatment | September 22, 2009 6:52 PM

Hello
Great post thanks for sharing a informative article keep it up

Posted by Men Impotence | September 23, 2009 4:59 PM

hello
The great photos.the information es very good.

Posted by Buy Sildenafil Citrate Online | September 24, 2009 11:59 AM

Hello
wow nice post it gave excellent and useful info!!!!!

Posted by Men Impotence | September 25, 2009 4:01 PM

Beautiful article! It’s just what i needed to understand. Happy Day’s

Posted by No Prescription Pharmacy | September 28, 2009 10:38 AM

they can be the best of their country and can be more, I really like this blog, has a great variety of wonderful views and advice to the user, I feel really great.

Posted by Online Pharmacy | October 29, 2009 3:52 PM

I was there at NYC Popfest and the Drums were totally fraudulent. They had never played a show yet somehow got a slot at Popfest and had an EP coming out on a NY label, their musical skill was absolute beginner-level rudimentary, they had hired-hand female dancers in matching outfits whom they'd never met before, there were plants in the audience to yell positive comments between songs, and the programming of their accompaniment tracks seemed beyond their ability to create. I was left wondering who bankrolled them and wrote (or helped them write) their songs? The Drums were truly the Milli Vanilli of Popfest.

Posted by Pong | November 17, 2009 9:56 PM

NYC shows are quite fun. I've been to some on several occasions.

Nick

Posted by make money online | January 11, 2010 8:18 PM

I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.Any way Ill be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon

Posted by edinburgh dentist | March 17, 2010 4:21 AM

So nice to see you going through these previous posts of mine and commenting as well.
Always a pleasure find you all over the place

Posted by http://www.runnerswrite.com/2009/01/run-on-treadmill-and-you-too-can-become.html | March 29, 2010 10:21 AM

Posted by planet wallpaper | June 30, 2010 5:52 AM

they were definitely one of the sunday highlights. there's video from the show of "let's go surfing"//...

Posted by free 3d wallpaper | June 30, 2010 5:54 AM

Posted by play free 3d games | July 23, 2010 9:21 AM

Posted by hd wallpapers | July 23, 2010 9:23 AM

Posted by hd wallpaper | August 5, 2010 2:29 PM

these guys suck. NME just named them #2 best new band of 2010. so i checked them out. and they suck. and i felt lame for liking Girls. jesus. Girls is Motorhead compared to these wanks.

Posted by Barney Miller | August 18, 2010 3:31 PM

Posted by play super mario game | August 26, 2010 8:39 PM

I think people who automatically hate The Drums just... don't "get it". I know that's an annoying catchphrase, and maybe a cop out, but I think these guys have a kind of nostalgic kitsch that actually takes talent and brains to convey... it's just that.. not everybody will understand the message... I certainly don't think " I wanna go surfing " is their best track, but I do love this band...

Posted by 3d multiplayer games | August 26, 2010 8:40 PM

Posted by play dora games | August 31, 2010 4:34 PM

Posted by cartoon network games | September 10, 2010 5:57 AM

I was glad to be one of the lucky ones to see the concert in NYC!!! It was awesome :)

Posted by Joshua Mason | October 10, 2010 12:54 PM

Oh god, they are so freaking awesome. I wish i could attend their gig in my own country.

Posted by CIMA Provider | October 12, 2010 7:08 AM

Looks like a great gig, hoping to see the drums when they come here.

Posted by Cupcakes Delivered | October 22, 2010 10:19 AM

Looks like an awesome gig back in 09.
The drums are really going places they recently released a new album I saw it on their website.

Posted by Hampers | November 4, 2010 1:44 AM

Jacob Graham, when he was with Horseshoes was fantastic...he will have given an absolutely amazing show. He's the best.

Posted by food hampers | March 10, 2011 3:25 PM