Posted in music | pictures on May 10, 2009

photos by Fresh Bread

The Thermals

The Thermals played a kick-ass show, as usual, last night at Bowery Ballroom (5/9). It was their second night in a row playing the same NYC venue, and on Monday they play the city one more time, but at Music Hall of Williamsburg. Tickets for that one are still on sale. More pictures from Bowery Ballroom below...

The Thermals

Hutch was shirtless for the encore

The Thermals

Neither I, nor 'Fresh Bread' (the photographer) , got there in time to see The Shaky Hands or Point Juncture, WA play their opening sets.

Was Fresh Bread drunk or on mescaline? Terrible photos.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 3:28 AM

"Was Fresh Bread drunk or on mescaline? Terrible photos."

Are you drunk? Go to bed.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 4:07 AM

show was fucking fun as hell! :)

Posted by oooooooooo | May 10, 2009 4:34 AM

The TherMEHls

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 8:01 AM

Thanks for the insight anonymehs.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 8:37 AM

LP's cheaper than CD's?! Way cool Thermals!

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 8:57 AM

I hope the crowd was better on the 2nd night than it was on the first. Fights nearly broke out between a bunch of d-bags, and it ruined the fun vibe for everyone who was up front.

Posted by lauren | May 10, 2009 11:59 AM

Why is dude sig heil-ing in the third photo?

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 12:07 PM

^^
You didn't know the Thermals are white power?

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 12:24 PM

fights nearly broke out?

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 12:58 PM

look at all those nerds!

mhow really brings out the wallflowers

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 1:28 PM

"fights nearly broke out? "

No fights broke out on the second night.

"show was fucking fun as hell! :)"

true

"mhow really brings out the wallflowers"

The show was at Bowery Ballroom and half the place was dancing the entire show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 1:39 PM

same difference

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 2:03 PM

I have to say I was shocked how much fun everybody was happening. I thought it would be a lot more mellow...but everybody just went insane.

Posted by pasta | May 10, 2009 2:18 PM

it was insane. i got out of the pit cause of too many drunken morons and i like my teeth. but fun ass show

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 2:48 PM

I took a nasty shot to my head. Still have a bruise, 5 inches down and I'd be at the dentist today.

Posted by pasta | May 10, 2009 3:01 PM

YOU SHOULD SUE BOWERY PRESENTS

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 3:04 PM

do hey usually play "Sappy"?.....that was awsome.

Posted by john | May 10, 2009 4:36 PM

Bad photos!

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 5:24 PM

awesome fucking show, this crowd ruled.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 6:26 PM

Was it truly insane mindblowing crazy? Was it better than Dirty Projectors/Bjork at Housing Works. Will you be telling your kids in 20 years that you were at this show?

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 6:33 PM

^^^show snob much?!?

Posted by blackhat | May 10, 2009 7:02 PM

Long live The Thermals! Their new record is one of the best this year so far hands down.

Btw, what's wrong with drunk photography?

Wicked C.

Posted by Wicked Celtics | May 10, 2009 7:58 PM

people really think these photos are bad? i think they capture the vibe really well.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 8:42 PM

6:33 - in 20 years, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you tell your kids that you were at the Dirty Projectors/Bjork show. They will, in turn, look at you and ask such penetrating questions as "who is that?" and "huh?". Then their friends will turn to them and say, "dude...your dad is such a dork" before stomping off to go play video games. And then you'll pathetically dust off your trusty old iPod (which you haven't used in 12 or 13 years) and try and play them some songs while adjusting your glasses and patting down your comb-over, at which point your kid will freak out and yell "DAD...STOP EMBARRASSING ME!!!"

Keep telling yourself this isn't your future if it makes you feel better...but you know, deep down inside, that I'm right.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 9:07 PM

best indie crowd I have been with since the Pixies played at Hammerstein............. !!!!! Let's keep this good crowd vibe going for Animal Collective on wednesday!

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 9:30 PM

I am pretty much in love with the bass player in the Thermals. And I don't even know her name!

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 9:34 PM

i love the thermals. but their shows are always filled with old people. and not cool old people either. like lame corporate old people in their weekend khakis, fist-pumping at shit. same with ted leo.

Posted by Anonymous | May 10, 2009 11:41 PM

You got to love the internet!!! It allows people to talk shit anonymously like little bitches. All the sudden the photo experts have come out to talk shit. Try going to a crowded show, with no flash, and an energetic crowd/band and see what kind of pictures you produce. While I've seen better from Freshbread, the 1st and 13th pictures are pretty solid considering that it appears he was shooting from the audience mostly.

Posted by Dub | May 11, 2009 12:55 AM

it sounds like the 2nd night had a much better crowd :/
i'm quite jealous.

Posted by lauren | May 11, 2009 3:51 AM

I was there the first night. Thankfully, I was up in the balcony. From where I stood, I saw some tense moments in the area right in front of the stage. For a while there, it looked like someone was going to get pummeled. Kathy, the bass player, stopped at one point and told the people up front, "Don't make me get all Fugazi on you." I'm not sure what that meant, but after she said that, the crowd up front became better behaved. It sounds like the overall vibe was better the second night, based on the comments here.

To 4:36 (john), the past few times I saw them, they played Nirvana's "Sappy" during the encore. That, and the Breeders' "Saints."

Posted by Gina M. | May 11, 2009 10:06 AM

^^ Fugazi is famous for stopping their shows until people stop moshing

Posted by yoga | May 11, 2009 12:33 PM

weird that there would be that kind of hero worship going on, and weird that the band would stoke it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2009 1:00 PM

"this band going out and shaking everyone in the crowd's hands at the end is kind of megalomaniac-ish and gross. "

That is a cynical way of looking at it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2009 1:28 PM

How were the opening bands?

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2009 3:40 PM

i like these photos. they have more energy because of the perspective from the crowd

Posted by Anonymous | May 11, 2009 6:48 PM

I wasn't there. I loved the thermals years ago. I still like them kinda...but dont like the new stuff...sorry, it just is not a good example of why I love(d) this band. However, I am happy they are doing well and having fun and thats about all I can say to them.

For the rest of you smiling, laughing, crowd surfing people I have this to say: Where the hell were you five years ago? Seriously - people in Holland LOVED this band back in their prime...but going to see them at N6 and Knitting Factory? It was BARELY even sold out..let alone crazy mosh town like this. You people should have gotten into them a long freakin' time ago....they were on Sub Pop so its not like they didn't have any exposure. Well, you didn't and whatever, enjoy the new stuff but it doesn't hold a candle to when Jordan was playing with them. I'm not a snob, but just a fan who really really doesn't understand this love of the last two albums at ALL. Guess they need to water down the songs to make the general public finally pay attention to a band that clearly deserved a break a long time ago. Well they seem to have gotten it - so whatever, good for them. And stop ripping on the pictures, christ who f-n cares its the thermals.

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2009 1:17 AM

I recall the Knitting Factory being sold out on the second leg of the Fuckin' A tour, and the crowd was completely into it. Where were all the people back in the day? This is a band that built their fan base brick by brick and by word of mouth, never on the basis of superficial hype. And their last two records have been thematic continuations of Fuckin' A, with radical progressions in the sophistication of songwriting. More Parts Per Million, as great as it is, was essentially a disparate collection of singles, fairly haphazardly strung together. For you, I'd ask, where where you the past three nights? I was there for all of them, and they easily bettered the early days as far as I'm concerned.

Posted by Anonymous | May 12, 2009 2:01 AM

Hey you prick, I was one of those old people you young whooper snapper! It was either go to the show or stay home and yell at the kids who walk across my lawn.

Anyway, the show was great. The crowd was great, but a couple times I got shoved out of the way by guys trying to rush to the front.

It was scary because if I had fallen I might not have been able to get up

:))

Posted by BOB | May 13, 2009 5:01 PM

Anon 2:01 = That's great, but I think you missed my point - All I am confused by is this: if so many people like the new albums, then it's perfectly logical to assume they would like the first two, cause the band hasn't changed their sound much. Being on Sub Pop is high exposure where to me, so I never understood why there were not always crowds like this at those earlier shows.

Yeah Knitting Factory was fun, but of all the shows they played around here during tours for the first two albums, that show definitely was the best one with the most "into it" crowd. No one said anything about being "superficially hyped" so I don't know where that's coming from.

Also - you kind of read like a publicist. The description of the new songs sound vapid, meaningless and empty, no offense. I simply do not see how taking simple, passionate music and simplifing it even further (musically) is "progression in sophistication of songwriting".....sorry. Maybe you meant to say "more sophisticated lyrics"? That's the only thing that seems to be moving forward.

"Where were you the last 3 nights"? Give me a break - that's a cheap and fairly lame way to confront someone who feels to the contrary. If you can't figure out why I didn't come out the last three nights then well, I guess go re-read my original post.

Anon 5:01 - How nice that you refer to someone who shares you enjoyment for a certain band as a "prick". A true fan of an artist knows that its important to remain objectively critical instead of just loving whatever they put out. Otherwise you just come off like an obsessive follower of the band and/or the people in it, hype surrounding it and not someone who connects with their music on a higher level.

Posted by 1:17 | May 21, 2009 5:27 PM